What Does it Mean When You Dream About Your Ex Boyfriend

By on November 4, 2014

Dreaming about your ex boyfriend. One of the absolute worst dreams you could possibly have. You wake up almost with a chill, your heart racing and your mind running in circles, thinking “What just happened? What does this mean?” Well, if you thought that your subconscious is telling you that you miss him terribly and you need to call and make amends right this second- you’re probably wrong. So put that fear to rest and check out some of the most common reasons why you might dream about your ex boyfriend. 2dbfd645c66aab8c38e0b9a4bd639cd9

1. You Miss Something About Him

relationship3

Maybe your ex boyfriend had a certain quality that you absolutely adored. Maybe he knew how to make you laugh really well, or maybe he just knew how to snuggle you just right when it’s incredibly cold outside. Whatever it may be, you might just be yearning for that one certain quality in a person- not the actual person himself. So think about it: is there something you wish you could find in your current relationship or future relationships that you miss?

2. You Miss Being in a Relationship

relationship2

If your dream was happy-go-lucky: the two of you walking hand in hand, laughing and smiling, checking out the most romantic spots in town, it may just mean you’re missing being in a relationship. It probably has little to nothing to do with your ex boyfriend. You’re probably just tired of being alone and want to share special someones with someone you love again. Which, of course, is COMPLETELY natural and nothing to be ashamed or weirded out by. Just don’t go running back into the arms of your ex boyfriend because you’re feeling lonely, okay? That will definitely do more harm than good!

3. There is Unfinished Business

Sometimes, when you break up with someone, not everything is said and done. Maybe you’re still harboring some ill feelings towards your ex boyfriend. Maybe you didn’t tell him about something important, like that one time you kissed someone on the lips but realized moments later it was an accident. It doesn’t matter what it is. But if you’re having these dreams because of some unresolved feelings or problems, then you should probably put it all on the table so these dreams stop and you can live your life with an ease of mind.

4. You’re Totally Done With Him

This one might be a little hard to believe- but man, it’s so true! If you had a dream where you are leaving your ex boyfriend, saying goodbye, or he even dies, it may be a sign that you are finally, one hundred percent done and over with him. There’s not an ounce of leftover feelings and you have the go ahead to move on with your life!

5. You Miss Him

miss him

Okay, so, I want to say at least 75% of the time dreaming about an ex boyfriend does NOT mean you miss him. But there’s always that chance. If the two of you recently broke up, or you still miss him when you’re actually awake and coherent, it may be a definite sign that you’re not over him and you might even want to mend the relationship.

6. Totally Random

Dreams are random. It doesn’t get any more basic or obvious than that. So, there’s a pretty big chance that your dream was completely random- especially if it only happened once or twice and is far from consistent. Maybe it was just out of the blue, or maybe you were ‘stalking’ him online- you know, just checking up to see if his new girlfriend is better looking than you or he finally got that promotion he wanted (don’t worry, we’ve all checked up on our exes- don’t feel bad!). Or maybe you visited that pizza place you and your ex ALWAYS went to, and it just brought up some past memories which followed you into your dreams. Last but not least, maybe he popped up into your mind before you fell asleep, so your subconscious mind held onto that thought and turned it into a silly dream. No big deal!

I know- dreaming about an ex boyfriend can be seriously panic inducing, especially if you’ve had a bad past with that certain someone. Just remember that nine times out of ten, dreaming about an ex boyfriend has nothing to do with you missing them or wanting them back in your life. Try to look at the bigger picture. Look at what actually happened in the dream and go from there. It may just mean you need to stop looking at his Facebook profile or you might need to go out and find yourself a new man!

We wanna know! Have you ever had a dream about an ex boyfriend? What happened in your dream? What do you think your dream meant?

Haley

June 4, 2019 at 2:18 pm

What does it means if you dream of sitting down with your ex and he gives you a letter of everything you did wrong

June 5, 2019 at 12:32 am

Your dream is a reflection of your previous emotional connection with your ex. The letter may be a manifestation of mistakes or poor decisions that you had made during the relationship. If you are aware of harmful behaviors of yours during your relationship, then learn the lessons from your relationship. Apply this knowledge to your future relationships. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Haley!

Mrs.junaid

June 2, 2019 at 1:59 am

I saw my ex came to my home and I was shocked to see him so I asked as why he was there?? He said that he had not seen me for a long time therefore he came to see me. What’s does it means?

June 2, 2019 at 11:09 am

This may reflect a desire to have him back in your life, but it could also just mean that you miss some aspect of having him around. The subconscious remembers all of your experiences and the people you have known, so dreams like this can also occur at random sometimes as well. Best of luck, Mrs. Junaid!

khole

May 30, 2019 at 1:41 am

im so confused at this moment of what douse this dream meaning. yesterday i dreamed about my ex the father of my son who dead 7 years ago and when he dead we were already not together and not speaking to each other. in the dream he was telling me that he loves me, and even on that dream i was shoked cos i knew we were not together and he was dead.

what is the meaning of such a dream

May 30, 2019 at 8:54 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your previous connection with your ex. Your son likely is a reminder of your ex. Allow any negative aspects of this dream to fade. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times. Nourish your relationship with your child by spending additional time together in person. Have a great day, Khole!

Tiffany

April 14, 2019 at 3:09 pm

I dreamed early this morning that I kissed my ex boyfriend on the lips. My arms were around his neck and his hands were on the small of my back. But he wasn’t feeling the kiss and I walked away.

April 14, 2019 at 7:28 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your previous emotional connection with your ex. The two of you are no longer in a relationship. Your decision to walk away from him in your dream is likely a sign that you are happy with this relationship having ended. Allow thoughts of him to fade, and determine what you want for your future without him. Have a great day, Tiffany!

Tiffany

April 14, 2019 at 7:03 am

I dreamed early this morning that I had my arms around my ex boyfriend neck in a hug position. His hands were on my lower back. I kissed him on the lips but he didn’t seem to be feeling the kiss.

April 14, 2019 at 4:26 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your previous emotional connection with your ex. The two of you are no longer in a relationship. There is a reason why the two of you decided to end your relationship. Make a decision about what you want for your future and take appropriate action. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Tiffany!

Kate

March 25, 2019 at 9:49 pm

I dreamt that my ex boyfriend hugged me so tyt that he didn’t want to let go, n he didn’t say much.

March 26, 2019 at 3:16 am

Your dream is a manifestation of your previous emotional relationship with your ex. It is likely that you still have feelings for him or you may be aware that he has feelings for you. However, the two of you have decided to end this relationship. Allow thoughts of him to fade, and focus your emotional energy elsewhere. Share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life, as this will draw positive people and energy toward you. Have a great day, Kate!

Em

March 9, 2019 at 2:11 am

I had a dream that my ex, my best friend and I were talking about what I went through when we broke up. My friend was there backing me up. And oddly my ex was sympathetic and in shock at what I went through. I also admitted to my ex all the checking up I did and how I tried to take revenge and trying to warn everyone of how malicious and evil he was and how his sweet side would manipulate easily. He seemed shocked, but remained calm. This is something that would never have happened. All my other dreams of my ex have been so different. They’ve never had any truth or reality in it. I’ve always hated dreaming about him because I truly never want to see or speak to him again and I get worried because for some reason whenever I have a dream I end up seeing him or a member of his family or close friend within the week of the dream. It’s as if it’s a premonition. This dream was raw and so honest. Could he finally realise the damage he done or did I need clarification of how damaged I was? I know that it was wrong to be childish And take revenge. In my defence I didn’t want any other poor girl to go through what I did. It’s taken 4 years for me get through it, and I still hold anger and hurt but he doesn’t hold me back anymore, I know I deserve love.

March 10, 2019 at 1:07 pm

Your dream is a reflection of the emotional relationship and struggles that you dealt with during your relationship. Your insight into the negative and positive aspects of your behaviors will bring you many benefits. Ensure that you do not attempt to harm others in the future. Allow thoughts of your ex to fade from your mind. Share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, Em!

Stephanie

April 9, 2019 at 8:34 am

So i had a terrible terrible break up and i was honestly in a terrible relationship with a narssasist anyways i have a boy friend and i honestly couldnt be happier just minus the dreams i litterally every night have a dream with my boy friend then my x comes in crying begging for me back and i say no go away and tell him how much he hurt me i even wake up crying from explaining to my x in my dream how he hurt me i honestly have no idea why i am dreaming this and how to stop it

April 10, 2019 at 6:21 pm

It sounds as though you are currently in a relationship with someone who makes you feel safe and secure. Your ex was narcissistic, and the two of you decided to end your relationship. Focus your emotional energy on your current partner, and allow thoughts of your ex to fade. Nourish your current relationship by spending additional time with your partner. Have a great day, Stephanie!

Von

March 8, 2019 at 9:19 am

I had a dream about my ex fiancé who passed away a year ago. It was about my current boyfriend and me cheating on him trying to get back with my fiancé who passed. It was a pleasant dream, but what is the meaning of it.

March 9, 2019 at 8:49 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your previous emotional connection with your late fiance. It is possible that you have a concern regarding your current relationship. Allow thoughts of others to fade, and focus your emotional energy on your current partner. Nourish this relationship by spending additional time with him in person. Have a great day, Von!

Jenny

March 3, 2019 at 10:31 am

I had a dream that me and my ex boyfriend seen each other, than he started running the opposite way. There was such a big crowd so I started running after him. When I finally caught up I just hugged him and he was telling me that the tattoos he has now are because of me, I got my name covered. We started to have sex, than he said I would see him again soon.

March 4, 2019 at 8:38 am

The dream may just reflect a wish that you could turn back time and enjoy being with your ex-boyfriend again. It may just be a throwback memory to the past, or it could reflect how you actually feel. Your subconscious may have also picked your ex to play the role of a love interest you would like to meet and have in your life, although this love interest is not necessarily him. You are the person best able to decide how this dream reflects on your real feelings at this moment.

Dea

February 24, 2019 at 8:04 pm

I had a dream last night about my ex boyfriend. Im with him in california but i actually live in philippines. So im in california with him. And he was driving his car with me while im hugging his arms.the season by that time was winter and the road/bridge was just clear, it was like just us And my feelings in my dream was I wish he still have concern for me or he still loves me. And when i woke up i felt sad.

February 25, 2019 at 8:07 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your previous emotional connection with your ex. Your dream may be a sign that you have been reminded of this relationship. It is possible that you are still in his mind, and it is possible that you have been thinking about him recently. Allow this dream to influence you to determine what you want for your future. Share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Dea!

Ellen

February 12, 2019 at 5:38 pm

I dreamed of my ex boyfriend chasing towards me telling me that he misses me but I keep on running away from him and I’m still having that kind of mixed emotional feelings.

February 12, 2019 at 8:28 pm

Your dream is a clear indication of your feelings regarding this relationship. It has ended, and you still feel a connection with him. In your dream, you are running from him. This is a sign that you should allow this relationship to fade from your mind. If you are chased in a future dream, then address whoever is chasing you in that dream. Determine what you want for your future, and share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Ellen!

Alenic

February 6, 2019 at 7:32 am

I dreamt my ex of over 20 years was physically chasing me aggressively to get back in a relationship with me. I woke up immediately after.

February 6, 2019 at 8:40 pm

Your dream may be a reflection of your previous emotional connection with your ex. The chasing may also be a manifestation of a concern or worry that you may have in your life. If you are chased in a future dream, then address whatever is chasing you at that time. This will help ensure that similar dreams are less likely to appear in the future. Have a great day, Alenic!

Ludi Mata

January 27, 2019 at 6:43 pm

This morning I woke up to my ex boyfriend asking me in the dream what was the last day of this month after I had just told him where I stood and got everything off my chest and that we will be going to court to take my name off the house we had bought together

January 27, 2019 at 8:32 pm

Your dream is a reflection of previous emotional relationship. Since you are no longer in a relationship with him, you should allow thoughts of him to fade. Focus your emotional energy elsewhere. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Ludi!

joyce

January 18, 2019 at 11:42 pm

I had a dream that my ex was involved in an accident so I went to see him n he was on the bed with the wounds he sustain on his leg. then I went inside immediately and I suddenly just kissed him on d bed where he was and he kissed me back too.

January 19, 2019 at 1:22 am

This dream was a reflection of your previous social connection with your ex. The two of you are no longer in a relationship. The injury in the dream may have been a sign that you are aware that this relationship has changed. Allow thoughts of him to fade. However, if he reaches out to you in the future, then ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with him. Have a great day, Joyce!

Get Ex Boyfriend Back

January 12, 2019 at 12:12 am

I was studying some of your articles on this internet site and I think this website is real informative ! Keep posting.

January 12, 2019 at 8:10 pm

Thank you for sharing your supportive comments. We always appreciate when members of our community share their insights and experiences. Have a great day, Anon!

ashleigh

December 29, 2018 at 2:19 pm

I just woke up from a dream about my ex. He is currently in hospital having surgery to remove some cancer cell’s. But my dream was we were by a lake fishing, laughing and having a great time when all of a sudden he falls ill, I grab him and we are sitting there cuddling each other.. I start crying and telling him I love him and he tells me the same thing and that he was sorry.
    I get him into my car and take him to the hospital were they automatically transfer him to a larger hospital. I stay and wait for news. Nothing happens for a while but then I ask the nurse to check with the ambulance, a reply comes in that he had died before reaching the hospital. I’m then crying my heart out. The dreams jumps to his funeral and I’m getting out of the car with our daughter (we have a daughter together), I tell her to grab the flowers for (insert her name) my ex’s fiancée. Our daughter runs to her with the flowers and crying they embrace and we all go in for the service.
    After the service my ex’s fiancée grabs my hand and we walk out together. I pull her aside and tell her that in her fiancée’s last breaths he said that he loved me but his heart was with her, but I knew that was a lie. She felt greatful and relieved. That’s where my dream ended.

December 29, 2018 at 4:39 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional connections. You care deeply for your daughter and want to influence her in a positive direction. You are aware that your ex is now engaged, and you likely want to maintain a friendly relationship with your daughter’s father and her potential step mother. Allow this dream to influence you to continue to share your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Ashleigh!

Hemangini

December 3, 2018 at 5:36 am

i dreamt about my ex yesterday night. He was very friendly with me. But he was in relationship with some other girl. I totally broke. And started crying. What does this dream mean? I still love him and he too knows that i still love him.He often gets jealous when i talk with other guys. And the reason he gave me for breakup was ” no future together “. Please tell me was he ever serious about our relationship? Please reply my comment.

December 3, 2018 at 7:12 pm

It is possible that he was once serious about your relationship. Something in his life caused him to determine that he was not interested in maintaining this relationship. You are no longer in a relationship at this time. Your dream was a reflection of your previous emotional and social relationship with him. Allow thoughts of him to fade. Determine what you want for your future without him. Have a great day, Hemangini!

Charisse

December 7, 2018 at 11:36 pm

I dreamed my ex boyfriend last night. And it looks like he’s finding me and im hiding him. And im not feel anything when i looking at him. But now i have a boyfriend. So what does it mean?

December 8, 2018 at 5:08 pm

This dream is a reflection of your previous emotional and social relationship with your ex. The fact that you were hiding from him was likely a sign that you are happy that this relationship has ended. You are currently in a relationship, so allow thoughts of your ex to fade. You will find great benefit in spending additional time with your current partner in person. Have a great day, Charisse!

Kira

November 18, 2018 at 7:02 am

I dreamed that I started a new job and my ex worked there too and we forgave each other and became super close and made up. I was in his car and we would drive around and do fun stuff together but then I saw my current boyfriend and I tried to duck down and hide but then he saw me. I felt guilty but still kept riding around and being with my ex and it felt right and wrong at the same time

November 18, 2018 at 6:56 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your various social and emotional relationships. This dream is not a manifestation of your waking behaviors. Allow thoughts of your ex to fade. Focus your emotional energy on your current partner. You will find great benefit in spending additional time with your partner, as this will strengthen your relationship. Have a great day, Kira!

Jess

November 8, 2018 at 4:14 pm

I had a dream about a couple weeks ago, that my family & I were moving into a house near my ex boyfriend of 3 years already & that my little sister was asking for him & I told her he wasn’t home but as I was saying that, he was coming in & we made eye contact but he looked like he was really upset. & I was just there feeling horrible. I had a dream last night that I was watching a movie on my laptop & his sister in law starts talking to me & is actually being nice & we start watching the movie together. But than my ex comes into the kitchen to sit down & eat. & he keeps trying to make eye contact to talk to me so I get up & walk away & leave. In my dream I felt horrible about my appearance. He came looking for me later on in my dream & we talked back at the kitchen table.

November 11, 2018 at 11:32 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional relationships. Your ex manifested in your dream because of your memories. Your behaviors in your dream are indications that you are no longer interested in maintaining a relationship with him. If this is so, then allow these dreams to fade and focus your emotional energy elsewhere. Have a great day, Jess!

Emily

November 8, 2018 at 2:48 am

I just woke up from a dream about my ex who used to be my bestfriend but after we broke up we tried being friends for a few weeks but all we did was argue. In the dream im planning a party and seating people and having fun but by the end of the party im looking for him and when i finally find him i pull him to the side to talk but he tells me that im a good person and that theres nothing left of us and he grabbed my finger like he used to and i woke up.Does this mean my subconscious is over him and accepting that theres no more to us.

November 11, 2018 at 11:13 pm

Your interpretation of your dream is likely correct. This dream was a manifestation of your knowledge that this relationship has ended. Allow thoughts of him to fade. Focus your emotional energy elsewhere. Ensure that you share your kindness an compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Emily!