What Does It Mean When You Can’t Stop Thinking About Someone?

By on November 18, 2017

What does it mean when you can’t stop thinking about someone? Are they your true love? A friend? Or just someone you really should get over?

The truth is there are a million reason why we might think of someone, but let’s have a look at some of the more common reasons.

If you can't stop thinking about someone

Falling in Attraction

There are various different reasons we’re attracted to someone. As someone wise once told me, there are five layers of attraction: physical, intellectual, emotional, spiritual and sexual. If you like someone’s body and mind, you may feel very attracted to them, you can’t stop thinking about them, but getting to know them you might very well realize that they will never satisfy you emotionally.

There are also ways of making people attracted, both women and men tend to fall for people whom they have to work for a little bit (as it proves the person won’t just go for anyone and people are drawn to a challenge), people who have other people interested in them and people who are overall confident and happy.

Unfortunately we also tend to fall for people who prove our not so pleasant thoughts about life and love to be true; a reflection of our wounds if you so like.

In other words, you really need to check why you think you’re attracted to someone. Even if it’s a mutual match on all levels, you also have to build a sustainable relationship.

Whatever the case, whatever the form of attraction you feel, and especially if you feel you have to work to get someone, you’ll be thinking about them.

Trying to Figure Something Out

This sometimes falls into the above category, but we tend to think about people who we can’t figure out. They appear a little bit mysterious to us, whether we’re blinded by attraction, or simply can’t work them out.

At other times, we’re simply trying to figure out how to make someone like us…that can lead to a lot of thoughts too. Like what dress to wear, what to say, what to do…but really, be yourself, learn people skills, focus on creating a great life for you and chances are the right person will like you!

A Wounded Soul

Ever met someone who was generally charming, but who had a dark side, or a problem? And you wanted to solve that problem, didn’t you? Heal their wounds. Make them feel better. You might even have excuse just about any negative action they took, because you pitied them and you wanted to be their savior.

Beware, your only job in a relationship/friendship is to love someone. There are professionals who can deal with healing peoples’ minds. Taking that job upon yourself, unless you truly really are a support pillar in their life and that’s what you want to be, only leads to an unhealthy relationship.

A Wounded Ego

Ever had someone do something that slightly hurt your feelings, or made you feel like you needed to prove yourself to them? Like that irritating person who always came first place and you second? Or that guy who hurt your feelings by rejecting you and now you want to prove that you’re so great at dating other guys that he will get the hint that he doesn’t matter?

This is a trap! An ego trap. What matters in your life is you having fun, you challenging yourself mentally and physically to get better at things, you doing what you love. Screw what other people are thinking and screw your ego’s need to put itself in a perceived superior position. When your ego says you have to prove yourself, you have to look better than someone else, or whatever it is it feels you need to do, tell it to shut up and go do something that really matters instead. You will be so much happier if you start listening to your heart instead of your ego.

Anger

It happens we think a lot about someone, not only because they hurt us, but because we’re angry about it and we never told them. If you want to tell them, do so. Speak from the heart, make them see the pain (an angry outburst will only lead to them attacking you in return, or defending themselves). If you don’t want to talk about it, let it go. Realize they did wrong, your part in it (if any) and move on. Stand up for yourself as you move forward, even if you can’t do much about the current/past situation, but don’t hold onto grudges. As the saying goes: when you forgive someone you let a prisoner free: you.

And if you ever want proof of what good it does to stand up for yourself when angry and letting it go once it’s past, read Curing Back Pain: The Mind Body Connection by Dr. John Sarno. It’s an incredible insight into what suppressed emotions can do to us.

Why can't I stop thinking about the person

A Distraction

Do you have a lot going on in your life right now? If so, maybe thinking about that one kiss with that one guy, is a lot easier than thinking about whatever is going on? Sometimes thinking a lot about someone is simply a decoy; we’re thinking about them because we don’t want to think about ourselves, or some aspect of our lives.

A Connection

As mentioned in the first point about falling in attraction, we have different connections with all sorts of different people. When we meet someone we have a connection with, mental, emotional, or otherwise, we tend to think about them because we’re curious. Sometimes these connections turn out to be really helpful ones, at other times we’re drawn to people who have similar wounds as ourselves, or people who see life in the same dysfunctional manner we do. At other times we are annoyed because someone has a similar flaw to ourselves and we think they don’t hide it well enough, or don’t suffer as much pain from it as we do.

The best connections, of course, are the people whom we can share wonderful experiences with us because they understand us in a way that’s helpful to us.

What to Remember When Thinking of Someone

If you are thinking about someone a lot, stop and ask yourself why. Get curious. Be open to finding out what’s really going on. Then work on finding balance. We all lose our senses a little bit when we fall in love, or get really angry, enjoy the love and sort out the anger, but do other things to. Things like hardcore exercise, time with friends, time in nature, focusing on work, watching great movies, eating good food, etc. all have a way of balancing the chemicals in our brain. Enjoying a connection with a friend, or partner, is great, but you don’t want to overly focus on someone else. You want to enjoy all aspects of your life.

Anonymus

March 17, 2019 at 2:30 pm

My daughter had a boyfriend who I was very close with he was more like a son to me.. they broke up about a week ago and I can’t get him out of my mind I feel such a strong motherly connection to him. How can I stop these feelings?

March 17, 2019 at 10:16 pm

These feelings are normal, though it is perfectly reasonable to want to focus your emotional energy on your daughter. It is acceptable to continue to maintain a friendly relationship with this person. However, if you are concerned that this would harm your daughter, then do not reach out to him. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Nourish your relationship with your daughter by spending additional time with her in person. This will help reduce thoughts of her ex. Have a great day, Anon!

Jasmina

March 17, 2019 at 5:10 am

Hi
    last year i met a girl on internet and she became one of my best friends and little by little my soulmate,but sth happened and we broke up.but I didn’t cut my connection with her friends.Sometimes I think one of her friends likes me (based on the articles that I’ve read here). but one time I couldn’t stop thinking about her,I didn’t pay attention.but yesterday something forced me to send a message,I’m confused,I don’t know It’s good to send her a message or not.

March 17, 2019 at 9:53 pm

It sounds as though you need a make a decision about what you want for your future at this time. Determine what type of relationship you want to nourish at this time. Speak with that person about your thoughts and feelings, and give her an opportunity to share herself with you as well. Nourish this relationship by spending additional time with her in person. Have a great day, Jasmina!

Mia

March 8, 2019 at 6:05 pm

I just gave birth to an amazing baby boy January, his father wasn’t around during the time I was pregnant which brought a lot of stress in the beginning but after awhile it was probably best if he wasn’t around to stress me out.. he’s now in our sons life and we spoke briefly prior to him meeting his son for the first time and I forgave him for not being there.. he mentioned about wanting to work things out and be a family which I was all for but it seemed like we were rushing things so I kinda bailed but after thinking it over, I wanted to give it a try again this time he felt I was rushing things.. so now we’re back at square one and i’m just confused at this point because I really want to be with him but it’s like how are we constantly not getting things together? I don’t know I overthink a lot instead of letting things be.. which could be the problem to begin with but idk. I don’t want to keep going back and forth.. I just want to be with him. But sometimes I don’t even know if he feels the same. I definitely am pretty sure he doesn’t now after what I said but who knows.

March 9, 2019 at 7:17 pm

It is possible that your relationship will be viable and successful. It is possible that it will not. There seems to be a continuous problem with your relationship. You will want to speak with him about your thoughts and feelings. Give him an opportunity to share himself with you as well. If he ignores you or treats you poorly, then you are aware of his feelings toward you. Have a great day, Mia!

Britain

February 20, 2019 at 5:55 am

I just moved to a new town and recently started working at my new job. There’s this guy I work with who is a few years older than me, and for some reason I can’t get him out of my mind. We work together normally 3 days a week. And when we do work together,we make each other laugh, and smile, etc. And I feel like he flirts with me and I do it too… but I’m not sure what to think or do. I want to ask for his number but I’m afraid of him saying no. 🙁 thoughts please

February 20, 2019 at 9:09 pm

The two of you share a strong social connection. Each of you find pleasure in spending time with each other. It is possible that he is interested in nourishing a relationship with you. Determine what you want for your future. Decide if you believe it is appropriate to speak with him about your thoughts and feelings at this time. Nourish this relationship by spending additional time with him in person. Have a great day, Britain!

Mercy

January 30, 2019 at 11:56 am

I Just moved so one day I met this guy at supermarket at the counter he asked me where am from I him told I was so shy I left after paying for my things another night I met him on my way to the supermarket he asked to accompany me there then I agreed after shopping we exchange numbers I don’t understand any Spanish he makes me understand when he talks he speaks very little English
    Last year December during Christmas I went to his place he started kissing me and all that we almost had sex so I had to leave his place so I became irrated I stopped picking his calls and replying message on WhatsApp
    But of recent I bumped into him at the mall once and once on the street but we didn’t speak to each other but i just keep thinking about him and I’m sacred because of recent he started calling me again I don’t know if it’s the language barrier or because he’s a Muslim and am a Christian to me religion matters but anytime I think about him I become so happy and light am 24and I’ve never being in any relationship before and he’s kind cool and gentle but I don’t know what to do pls i need advice

January 30, 2019 at 6:46 pm

You need to take this time to determine what you value. If you are going to allow your religious beliefs to prevent you from maintaining a relationship with someone, then do not attempt to nourish a relationship with him. Since her is religious as well, you should make a decision regarding what behaviors you believe he may exhibit. There is no benefit in changing one religion for another, unless that faith teaches kindness and compassion. Have a great day, Mercy!

Mercy

January 30, 2019 at 11:49 am

Just moved so one day I met this guy at supermarket at the counter he asked me where am from I told I was so shy I left after paying for my things another night I met him on my way to the supermarket he asked to accompany there then I agreed after shopping we exchange numbers I don’t understand any Spanish he make understand when talk he speaks very little English
    Last year December during Christmas I went to his place he started kissing and all that we almost had sex so I had to leave his place I so I became irrated I stopped picking his calls and replying message on WhatsApp
    But of recent I bumped into him at the mall once and once on the street but we didn’t speak to each other but just keep thinking about him and I’m sacred because of recent he started calling me again I don’t know if it’s the language barrier or because he’s a Muslim and a Christian to me religion matters but anytime I think about him I become so happy and light am 24and I’ve never being in any relationship before he’s kind cool and gentle but I don’t know what to do pls i need advice

January 30, 2019 at 6:41 pm

Wondering

January 20, 2019 at 12:04 am

I met my best guy friend a year ago on a dating app, both he and I were fresh out of relationships. He made it clear that he wanted friends for now, and I respected his wish. Anyways, upon meeting him for the first time we gave eachother a longing hug, and basically spent about 4 hours together, forgetting about the time of day. We developed an instant connection and we began to hangout at least 3 times a week. He was still hooked on his ex, and I knew what this was like so I didn’t pay any mind to it. We’ve had sex on a weekly basis.

More recently, he decided to friendzone me because he wasn’t feeling the same way I felt for him. We stopped the sex then, since his moral values were kicking in, but we still hangout every weekend, we sleep naked together and shower together. A part of me feels like he still thinks of me but he’s conflicted. I’m always thinking about him

January 20, 2019 at 3:35 pm

The two of you are maintaining a strong social relationship. He is currently in a relationship with his ex, so you should speak with him about the status of that relationship. Sleeping and showering together may be different than having sexual intercourse, but he should still speak with his partner about his thoughts and feelings. Determine what you believe is appropriate. If he ends his currently relationship with his ex, then decide if you want to maintain a romantic relationship with him. Have a great day, Wondering!

Saira

January 18, 2019 at 5:49 am

Hey!! I am a teenager and everyone knows that this age is very like to all these things!! I want to tell that whom I like, says that his friends will make fun of him if I am with him! I wanted to know that does he loves me because he hasn’t said no not yes!!

January 19, 2019 at 12:06 am

It is possible that he has feelings for you. He may feel uncertain about your feelings for him. If he said that his friends will make fun of him, then it is possible that they are not mature enough to support him having a relationship. However, this should not prevent you from maintaining a relationship with him. Determine what you want for your future at this time. Nourish this relationship by spending additional time with him in person. Have a great day, Saira!

Cherry

January 14, 2019 at 7:38 pm

Hi, so I have this friend who I went to school with for a few years. We became great friends, and I felt a strong connection to him. He moved halfway across the country and I was devastated for years. I’m kinda awkward when I text, so I haven’t really talked with him a lot over text. He came over last thanksgiving to see me and the old friend group, and when he hugged me I felt warm. Like home. I think about this guy constantly, like I make up scenarios and daydreams and stuff. I don’t know if I just like him as a good friend, or if I love him or what, but I sure as hell miss him. But recently (as in beginning of the school year recently) there’s been a guy at school who’s kinda had his eye on me. I am not sure how I feel about him either. I don’t think about him as much as I think about the first guy, but I think about him sometimes. I don’t know. Can I have some advice? When I get out of school in a couple years, I’ll probably be moving in with the first guy, since he’ll be moving back here. I need advice on what I’m feeling and what to do about these dudes.

January 15, 2019 at 9:56 pm

It sounds as though there are two people that you may be interested in developing a relationship with. Determine what you want for your future. Decide what relationship you believe is viable. Speak with one of them about your thoughts and feeling. Give that person a chance to share himself with you as well. Make a decision from that point. Ensure that you only attempt to maintain a romantic relationship with one person at a time. Have a great day, Cherry!

Confused

January 14, 2019 at 5:03 pm

I met my crush after 2 years ,because of my friend ,
    My friend is photographer and she hired him for photoshoot
    And i went with him on shoot and after that we went for lunch , my impression was not good infront of her before meeting but after this meeting she texted my friend
    Yout friend is nice guy and he is not that like what i was thinking ,
    Now even after many days i can’t stop thing about her
    Dnt knw what to do

January 14, 2019 at 7:36 pm

It sounds as though you are uncertain about the feelings of your crush. It seems as though their statement was confusing to you. Determine what you want for your future. Decide if you believe this relationship is viable. Do not attempt to maintain a relationship with someone who does not want to maintain a relationship with you. Nourish this relationship by spending additional time with your crush in person. Have a great day, Confused!

Attraction

January 12, 2019 at 5:59 pm

There’s a guy at my uni. He is single and I’m married. We were attracted to each other at first sight. He said he had fallen for me but was worried that if I had an affair, it would devastate my husband and kids, and that he wanted to protect me. He thinks about me all the time and I think about him too. He always finds excuses to touch me and hug me. But for the most part, our relationship is quite secret. I have rejected his advances of sex a few times, but part of me wants to give in and let him kiss me. This week I got upset and blocked him on every social media outlet because I wanted to stop the way I was feeling over him. But he kept finding reasons to speak to me whenever he saw me. I am still thinking about him. I honestly don’t know what to do. I have been given a pass by my husband but I’m scared that I will fall in love with this guy or this uni guy will fall in love with me if we sleep together.

January 12, 2019 at 9:44 pm

You are married. Do not cheat on your partner. Stop communicating with this person, as you are in a committed relationship. If you are no longer happy with your relationship, then speak with your partner about your thoughts and feelings. End this relationship before you attempt to establish a new relationship. Have a great day, Attraction!

Rica

January 12, 2019 at 1:23 pm

My ex finally decided not see me and end everything less than a year ago and i thought i was able to move on but these past few days i kept thinking about him he’s always in my mind like crazy and I started crying again like it just happened and i miss him so much

January 12, 2019 at 9:19 pm

The two of you are no longer in a relationship. Something may have reminded you of him. Allow thoughts of him to fade. Focus your emotional energy elsewhere. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will bring you many benefits. Have a great day, Rica!

Confused

December 18, 2018 at 11:22 pm

I met this guy 5 years ago (2013) in one of my classes and he was just someone I knew the name of and saw from time to time. The next year he was in almost all of my classes and we talked a lot more.
    One day, my mum asked me if I knew him because she and his mum were good friends and I said yes, and discovered that we lived pretty close together. From then on, we would sometimes both walk home from school together and I began developing feelings for him but I never told him. We weren’t exactly friends but we were civil, and teased each other and made each other laugh but didn’t really hang out in school and never even told our own friends that we hung out because they may disapprove.
    I actually really really liked him.
    Then one day around three years after we’d initially met and two years of me liking him (2015) he moved out of our school district when his parents split up to live with his dad and started going to a new school which left me pretty heartbroken because I never told him about my feelings. Eventually (a pretty long time) I began forgetting my feelings for him and even developed a crush on a different guy.
    My school hosts this annual Christmas night after school hours and I went every year. I graduated last year but still went yesterday to catch up with my old friends and simply for some nostalgia and was definitely not expecting to see him there as he lived so far away. I was talking to my current crush when all of a sudden I see him from a distance and he catches my eye. When I asked him what was doing here he said that his younger sister still lived with his mum and still went to this school and she offered to let him tag along. I was so surprised and it was pretty awkward because it had been 3 years since we had seen each other but I found my gaze always wondering towards him during the night and I freaked out whenever I couldn’t find him and realised my feelings for him were reappearing. I wanted to cry because I knew there was no way I’d ever see him again at least for another year. Now I can’t stop thinking about him, and the worst bit is, my crush on the different guy didn’t go away either and I’m stuck between both of them. I know my more recent crush is more realistic and I like him a lot, but I still can’t stop thinking about my old one. Help

December 19, 2018 at 7:03 pm

It sounds like you have feelings for two people. One person is currently in your life, and the other is not. Decide which relationship is viable. Determine what you want for your future. If you choose to attempt to maintain a long distance relationship with this person from your past, then do so. If you want to maintain a relationship with the person who lives near you, then do so. Only attempt to nourish a romantic relationship with one person at a time. Have a great day, Confused!

Maithli

December 8, 2018 at 12:30 pm

I met this guy 6 years ago after few months i started to like him then he become my crush nd i thinking about him every day but I never told him about my feelings you know what 2 years ago he was told me that he liked me too before & still likes i didn’t believe that I’m so happy but i don’t why I told him that it’s too late now i don’t love him anymore & say don’t u dare to met me or call me even i blocked him on WhatsApp because i wanted to forget him since then he never met call or reply me since then I never stop thinking about him I remember everything he says to me…
    Plz tell what should I do? Why Can’t I able to stop thinking about him? Why his words recall in my mind? Why i started thinking about him anytime at anywhere? I can’t focus on anything i guess blocking him was really a huge mistake now i regret it..my friend talk to him about me one week ago but he said its nothing like that he doesn’t like me what does it mean Is he really doesn’t like me or what? Can I talk him or not? I don’t know what stopping me to talk I’m really confused Plz tell me now what should I do?

December 8, 2018 at 5:30 pm

Your told him that you did not love him. You then decided to block him. He doesn’t like you because of your behaviors. It is likely that you seriously damaged this relationship. Learn your lesson from this experience. Apply this knowledge to your future relationships. You will find benefit in not behaving in this manner in the future. Have a great day, Maithli!

China

December 5, 2018 at 6:53 am

I been knowing this guy since highschool so over 10 years we never dated or talked back then. He’s been reaching out to me for years and I always looked the other way until recently I have him a chance. He stays far away but he came to visit me. We kicked it and had a wonderful time he kept asking about my future and where I see myself but I was being very immature and didn’t open up to him. We had sex which was great he asked me to come to Atlanta with him and then fly to California with him but I didn’t go because I couldn’t. Since he went home I’ve reached out but got no reply. I’ve been thinking of him soo much I don’t know what to do. I want to surprise him and get a plane ticket to come see him but since he’s not responding to my text I’m scared.

December 6, 2018 at 10:07 pm

He is not responding to your texts. This may be because he feels as though you rejected him because you did not join him. He should understand that you were unable to do so. If he continues to ignore you, then allow thoughts of him to fade. If he responds to you, then perhaps speak with him about your thoughts of visiting him. Attempt to communicate with him, but if he ignores you, then focus your emotional energy elsewhere. Have a great day, China!

Sad

November 21, 2018 at 3:53 pm

Hi
    This guy hurt me in my twenties ( we never dated but I think he knew I liked him and blew me off) and now I’m in my late 30s and i see him all time. He never says hi to me unless I say hi to him. I really think he hates me and I don’t know why? I’m obsess and I can’t move on.
    I have sooooo many questions for him but it would be inappropriate for me to ask them as we are both married with families.
    My biggest question is WHY? Why weren’t u interested in me? What’s wrong with me that you couldn’t love me?
    Just writting them to you now I’m sad
    I’m sad that I still care after 20 years
    What do I do
    I really don’t know how to move on
    No one ever affected me like he did and does still does.
    Please give me advise because I will always see him
    He will always be my circle (community)
    How do I move on while seeing him everyday?

November 22, 2018 at 9:43 pm

You are aware that he is not interested in maintaining a relationship with you. He does not owe you anything and he has no responsibility to explain his feelings to you. Determine what you want for your future without him. Focus your emotional energy elsewhere. Spend additional time with other people who are in your life. Have a great day, Sad!

Maria Lourdes

November 19, 2018 at 7:21 pm

I saw this guy in my cousin’s funeral a year ago. Only to find out he’s a friend of my late cousin through thorough search on social media. I was very happy to stalk on his account and see pictures of him. From then on, I was starting to realize that I cannot stop thinking about him. I cant stop visiting his page as i go online. He became my one of my inspiration to do better in all I do. Im just wondering why I cant stop thinking about him when I haven’t even talked to him. I dont know. Its an odd feeling. It felt like I really want him.

November 20, 2018 at 7:23 pm

There may be various reasons for these thoughts. You have met him before, so your attraction may have influenced your current behaviors. If you feel comfortable doing so, then add him on social media. Speak with him about your thoughts and feelings. Ensure that you are honest in your words. It is certainly possible that he will react in a positive manner to your social behaviors. Have a great day, Maria!

Anjali

November 10, 2018 at 8:27 pm

There is this boy in my class who has been my crush for 7 years and now we are in 12 grade. We have finally become really good friends. But there is a sudden change in my emotions. I want him now. Firstly I didn’t thought about him so much but now he can’t get off my mind. Sometimes he shows some confusing emotions like they are love signals but sometime I don’t get him. He is the person that is like I adore him. I can’t forget him neither I can come over him. I love him. What should I do? Can’t stop thinking about him.

November 12, 2018 at 9:08 pm

The two of you share a strong social and emotional relationship. You share a long history. You are aware that your lives are changing. You are attracted to him, and his behaviors may be indications that he is attracted to you as well. Speak with him about your thoughts and feelings. It is likely that he shares similar feelings for you. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with him at all times. Have a great day, Anjali!

ANonymus

November 9, 2018 at 7:34 pm

I moved 2 years ago from where I used to live. Gr.5, I started to like a guy, and he’s still in my mind right now. I thought that I’ve moved on, but I haven’t. When I think about boys, he’s the first to come to my mind. I honestly can’t get him out of my head. I can’t really talk to him anymore, and he see’s me as a good friend. I hope we will meet in the future, and I fantasize a lot about what our future would be like, or if he was here with me. I just can’t move on and I don’t know what to do.

He’s also said that he liked me, but wished to remain friends, which I accepted because I didn’t want to make him comfortable.
    Honestly, I can’t help it but think of him.
    I can’t move on.

November 12, 2018 at 12:15 am

You are unable to nourish a romantic relationship with him because of the distance between the two of you. You share a strong emotional and social connection with him. Continue to share your kindness and compassion with him. Your relationship may flourish in the future. For now, determine what you want for your future without him. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with him at all times. Have a great day, Anon!

Unknown

November 7, 2018 at 7:24 am

I was talking to a girl online and someday she told me that she cares alot about me but she feels like I don’t. So i started showing her my feeling and did like hell alot of thing just for her , thinking about her every 2 minutes and what should i do got me tired so i went to her and told her about me thinking alot and dreaming everyday of her
    She rejected that and all what i keep thinking about now why wud she reject ?
    What am i supossed to do !
    I asked her again and she rejected me again
    The proplem here is when ever i try to just over her she comes and tell me that im a very important person to her and that i changed her , but she rejected me again …
    I just can’t distract my min
    My mood is up to her
    If she’s good to me am happy
    If she’s rejecting me i just dont care about life any more
    I feel like i really do love her and that got me to see her as the most beautiful woman at the planet but she doesn’t really care but she says the opossite..

I can’t stop thinking i am thinking about her 1000 times a day .

November 7, 2018 at 9:08 pm

You feel a strong emotional connection with her. She has informed you that she is not interested in nourishing a relationship with you. If you respect her, then you accept her desires. If you continue to ask her, then she may avoid you in the future. Share your kindness and compassion with her, as this will strengthen your relationship. Determine what you want for your future without her, at least for now. Have a great day, Anon!