Is Someone Missing You If You Dream About Them?

By on May 9, 2018

When you dream about a specific person in your dream, it is common to apply whatever happened in the dream, into a ‘real life’ setting. For example, if you were to break up with your boyfriend and then dream about getting back with him, it would be easy to believe that getting back with him is the right thing to do … Except, that isn’t always the case.

Dreams are presented to us in code and symbols, which we then must decipher ourselves. One person may have a dream that means one thing to them, but the very same dream could mean something entirely different to someone else. Not only that, dreams rarely mean what they’re actually showing you.

There is an old saying that goes something along the lines of:

“When you dream about someone, it means they are missing you.”

Although a nice sentiment, it isn’t exactly a true one. There is a chance that the person you have just dreamed about DOES miss you, but there’s a bigger chance that the person is a reflection of something in your own life. I had a dream about Tom Hardy last night, but he doesn’t even know that I exist, so there’s no way that he could miss my presence.

Is Someone Missing You If You Dream About Them 1

Dreaming of someone in particular, such as a friend or a relative, could be your mind’s way of saying that there’s something you need to see or understand. Perhaps you aren’t getting the bigger picture about that person, or there’s something in your mind that just doesn’t work out right. Maybe you think that your aunt may have been acting weird when you saw her last week? A dream about her that then follows on from that meeting and realisation could be a sign that you know something is wrong, but haven’t yet addressed it … but need to. Your mind is telling you that something isn’t quite finished or right yet.

If you were to dream about friends that you had at school, it could be because they miss you, or that you miss them. Or, more likely, that you miss a part of that time. Mortgages, marriages, medications … Adult life is tough and with so many daily obstacles. If you’ve been having a hard time, dreaming about old school friends is probably your mind’s way of saying that you miss that time, not specifically the people of that time.

Let’s say that you dream about your boss. Your boss probably doesn’t miss you when you are not at the office. No boss likes their employees that much (or vice versa). What it could mean, on the other hand, is that you have a cross to bear with your boss, or that you are missing something boss-like in yourself. Maybe you need to work on your confidence levels to finally get that promotion you’ve been trying to get for a number of years? Maybe you could take a peek at your air of authority and see if it would be better suited to a higher job role?

If your boss is constantly stripping you down and making you feel uncomfortable or sad in your dream, there’s a chance that you’re having a problem with authority itself right now. Maybe you don’t agree with everything your boss has had to say lately, or think that a project would work better if done your way, rather than theirs?

It might be time to face the beast or learn how to live with it a little better. Your dreams are often a side effect of what you are already feeling — your current emotions and pent-up frustrations. The only way to let those go is to deal with them. Ask why you keep getting passed over for that big promotion, or speak to your boss about your new and innovative ideas. Sitting down and waiting for something to happen isn’t the best course of action. Sadly, not all good things don’t come to those who wait.

If you dream about an ex, don’t go running back there. That’s not always what your dreams mean, even if that’s exactly what they portray. Look what happens in the dream — when you get back together, do you live your happily ever after? Or are things exactly the same as they were before. That could be your mind’s way of telling you that nothing will change if you get back together — you already know that, so by going against that, you’re going against yourself.

Is Someone Missing You If You Dream About Them 2

It’s hard to let go of someone that you really care about, especially when all you do is dream that they miss you. Sadly, dreaming about someone doesn’t always mean that they do miss you. It’s usually a sign that you need to work on something within yourself.

G

January 15, 2020 at 12:20 pm

Is this real coz my crush keeps coming to my dreams and keep telling me ho much cute I am.
    If it’s real what should I do??

January 17, 2020 at 2:20 pm

The dream just shows what you’d like to have happen and that you wish that you could be around your crush more. Unfortunately, a dream can only show how your crush thinks or feels if you actually know his feelings. If you don’t already know how he feels, then your dream is just reflecting what you’d like to have happen. You can always hope though!

MeNat

January 15, 2020 at 5:57 am

I had a dream about my old friend (male) from a community college. He had a crush on me. I was dating someone else back then. He even asked me to meet his mom in front of my ex-boyfriend who was very abusive. My friend knew about it. Later he knew that I didn’t feel that way. He went to a different university a year later. He met 2 girls, and asked me who he should date with. He sent me 2 pics of 2 girls from his university. In my dream I told him I was jealous and heartbroken when he asked me that and I regret that I didn’t date him. I woke up and missed him. I think I just realized that I actually liked him too. We both are now married to our spouses. We live far clear across the coast from each other. I wish I could confess with him that I actually liked him too. What does this say?

January 17, 2020 at 2:29 pm

It is easy to confuse dream feelings with your real feelings, so I wouldn’t act on this dream at all. Your subconscious often explores the what-ifs in your life, which is probably why the dream happened. The dream doesn’t mean you actually liked him or should be with him. Instead, it is simply your subconscious exploring possible outcomes if you had taken a different path in life.

Miranda Garrison

January 14, 2020 at 6:16 am

I had a dream about my ex best friend (who is a guy). We didn’t have a horrible fall out, life just got in the way I guess. But I am the one that misses him soooo much. He was such an amazing friend and always made me feel safe to be myself. But in my dream, it was my birthday and he called me and I was shocked because he never calls me because we don’t talk anymore hardly. But he called me and told me he was coming to my party and then said “see you in a little bit. I love you” and the hung up. That really got me… weird part is, we’re family now because I’m married to his uncle (were all the same age. Its a mixed family/adoption whatever lol) but I don’t have feelings for him at all , that’s obvious. I just wish things weren’t so awkward in person. I just truly miss his friendship.

January 14, 2020 at 12:03 pm

Perhaps the dream is just your subconscious mind’s way of saying you miss his love and support. Someone could love you without it being romantic, so the dream doesn’t necessarily mean anything about him romantically. If he was always a good friend to you, the dream probably just means you miss having him around you and as a part of your life.

Felicia

January 11, 2020 at 8:20 pm

I had a dream about a boy but I do not know him at all nor have I ever seen him irl. In my dream, we intertwine our arms and hands? Then we were both like in a relationship or something. After some time he told me his name and said that I’ll forget it later like when he disappears. I didn’t know what meant and when he disappeared later I was slowly forgetting his name. There’s where the dream change and I woke up. I think he died in the dream because I felt sad that he disappeared. I couldn’t remember his name like what he said. Is this weird?

January 12, 2020 at 11:05 pm

No, this kind of situation is fairly common in dreams. Your subconscious mind most likely chose him as a placeholder to represent the love interest or partner you would like to meet some day.

Vickashin

January 10, 2020 at 11:14 am

This might be a bit confusing it surely is to me!
    I dated this guy back in 2005-2007, we broke up because he found someone else, he did realise he did wrong and apologised many many times their relationship didn’t last too long, we both moved to different countries, we have been in touch since then till about the beginning of 2019 (as friends), Every time he is sick or in trouble or if something bad has happened or is going to happen I would have dreams about him and obviously not happy dreams and I would check up on him and tell him I had a dream about him and is everything ok? He would then tell me no, I am sick or this or that had happened and he was always amazed at how a dream could tell me so much about him, I found it quite unbelievable too. The beginning of last year his parents found him a wife and he got married, we haven’t talked since! Now all of a sudden I have dreams of him coming back and wanting to be in a relationship with me and I see myself ignoring him. What does that mean?

January 11, 2020 at 11:32 am

Your dreams are reflections of your previous emotional relationship with him. He is married, so your relationship is not viable. Additionally, the two of you have not spoken for a long period of time and you live in different countries. Allow thoughts of him to fade.

Felicia

January 11, 2020 at 8:16 pm

January 12, 2020 at 11:05 pm

No, this kind of situation is fairly common in dreams. Your subconscious mind most likely chose him as a placeholder to represent the love interest or partner you would like to meet someday.

Shilo

January 10, 2020 at 5:42 am

I had a dream that me and my best friend had a baby boy. He was laying bed with me holding our son. Then his ex girlfriend who is married and has a girl in real life. Walks into the room with us and thinks that I will band my baby over to her. Instead my friend hands me out baby and walks out of the room with her. I don’t remember much more. But he and I talked about a possible relationship before he doesn’t like me that way and is currently in a relationship of almost 2 years now. I don’t usually have any dreams at all but when I do it’s always about him.

January 11, 2020 at 11:45 am

These dreams are reflections of your emotional relationship with your best friend. You are aware of other social and emotional relationships that influence your life at this time. Make a decision about what you want for your future, and take appropriate action.

Alisha

January 9, 2020 at 7:39 pm

Recently I had a dream about my ex. In my dream we were meeting with other friends and I asked what he’s been up to lately? He said that he was in grad school (which I already know) but then moving forward he asked me to join him in his graduation and then introduce me to his parents. I introduce myself as his friend, but he introduce me as someone special to him. And then I wake up to find that he’s leaving a message in our group chat with our friends. Does it mean something? I don’t think about him recently, and I’m married..so..

January 11, 2020 at 11:54 am

Your dream is a reflection of your previous relationship with this person from your past. You are married, so allow thoughts of him to fade. Determine what you want for your future without him, and focus your energy on your current relationship.

Cake cake

January 8, 2020 at 6:35 am

I had a dream of which is now my ex bf but in my dream we were dating and a girl came up to him and started talking to him and then started showing him her boobs and so I got mad and fought her and won and then her sister came and I won that fight to . What does this mean . I do still want my ex back so

January 8, 2020 at 7:14 pm

The dream seems to be fairly clear in the way it shows you and your response to your ex. While you may not want to actually be with him anymore, the dream seems to show that you feel uncomfortable with him dating anyone else.

Jacob

January 9, 2020 at 9:49 am

Well I don’t know where to start cause I can barely remember any of it but for starters it’s a girl I was talking to while me and my current girlfriend were on a break, her name was Victoria. Last night woke up remembering I clearly see her in my dreams go back to sleep and I ended up in I believe to be her house, it’s dark. go to the first room and see her instantly. Then go for a hug and don’t remember what she said but the look in her face looked like she missed me for awhile. Woke up a few times again to go the restroom then go back to sleep and last thing I remember is us having sex and slowly kissing. It felt so real and mind you we never had sex in real life but it felt so real, loving, just unbelievably beautiful. Miss her time to time but damn this hit home and really do miss her right now

January 9, 2020 at 7:05 pm

It is normal to dream about previous relationships, especially ones that never really had closure. While it is normal to wonder about all of the “what ifs” of what could have happened in this relationship, it would be a bad idea to end things with your girlfriend and return to Victoria because of a dream. The dream just happened because of your memories and the “what ifs” in your mind, so be careful not to read too much into it.

Chephren Phillips-Rose

January 8, 2020 at 1:20 am

I had a dream that my ex crush called me upon the phone while I was act work. We started talking to catch up because I haven’t seen her in years but she will always remain my first love. We are both taken now but that doesn’t stop me from flirting with her. Since the day I met her I knew she was something special but it felt like we are from two different worlds.

January 8, 2020 at 7:24 pm

The dream most likely represents all of the feelings you had for her and still have. While everyone has the “one that got away,” it is generally not a good idea to pursue these kinds of relationships. Otherwise, you could both end up ruining everything you have built in life, and the relationship may still not work out.

Anastashia

January 6, 2020 at 10:22 pm

This one is a long one~

So I had a dream a couple years back I remember that I was in one of my classes with someone that I haven’t seen in awhile and we don’t talk anymore now. So I remember me sitting there talking to someone and my still-have-a-crush-on- person looked at me walked up beside me and whispered “hey, can we talk?” I go sure and I look over to my desk and see that I had my backpack sitting there (yes, I do have that backpack now.) so she and I walked out of the classroom and she was getting very emotional she said a lot of things but I can’t really remember but I know the things that she did say was “I still want you in my life.” And I didn’t say anything I looked down and I kinda controlled my dream to see what they were wearing and what I was wearing now I do remember what I was wearing and I have it I just haven’t worn the outfit and they- in the dream was wearing a gray crop top and I’ve seen her wear that before… Then I woke up

January 7, 2020 at 10:22 pm

The dream is a reflection of your own subconscious mind. It seems like your subconscious may miss having her in your life, which is why she came to you in the dream and tried to get you to talk to her and have you as a part of her life again.

Kamryn

January 6, 2020 at 10:15 pm

So this one is a hard one cause their is some history being me and this person (no we never dated)

So we where back in school and I was walking my friend in the front of the school they told me that they missed me and my response to that was “why on earth would you?” Then I woke up. And I’m not sure what this means…can you help me?

January 7, 2020 at 10:24 pm

Perhaps your subconscious is coming to terms with the fact that you miss them, which would explain your response in the dream. The fact that the person originally says that they miss you in the dream seems to indicate that you may have some conflicting feelings about the entire situation.

oof

January 6, 2020 at 9:44 am

i had this dream inside of a dream and both involved my ex in the 1st one we were living a weird life together, there were no people around but we were being chased. As the life in the dream progresses me and my ex start to be really happy, we had a down in the dream but we made it a good thing in the end, we were super happy. But in the 2nd dream she had a boyfriend but this song was playing and she was like singing it to me i guess the song was about missing your ex and letting them know you still think about them but in the end she was kissing her boyfriend while staring at me and smiling. Me and my ex didn’t leave on bad terms she is now back with her ex though it’s been like 2 years since we broke up.

January 6, 2020 at 7:51 pm

Your ex may have appeared because you have memories of her, and perhaps you want to have some kind of romance or intimacy in your waking life. The second dream shows that your subconscious mind accepts that she moves on and this isn’t possible, which is why she is with someone else in that dream.

Maggie Perez

January 5, 2020 at 9:27 am

I keep having this dream where I’m having sex with this guy I like, like hot real good sex. This is going to seem bad but he has a girlfriend and irl we have had sex three times. I also can’t get him out of my mind. What do my dreams and shoot what do my feelings mean?

January 5, 2020 at 9:33 am

When you have sex with someone, it is easy to develop feelings for them because sex produces a biochemical response. He has a girlfriend though, so it is unlikely that he’ll leave her now. The dreams just reflect the current quality of your relationship, so I wouldn’t read too much into them.

Beckma

January 2, 2020 at 9:40 am

Okay so i had this dream , and one specific part of it was when i was facetiming this one guy.. I don’t know him nor do i recognize him but then he said “Reject my brother” so i could think his brother was sending me a confession and the guy facetiming liked me too but i’m on winter break so i didn’t go to school nor do i remember anything from school if i were to put this guy there. And then i said “Noo noo i cant thats rude, don’t do that to your own brother” and idk what he said next but he did this hand motion where he missed me or wanted to be with me and i did the same back… i’m being fr and that i don’t know him nor do i recognize. then a few time later still in my dream MY brother texts me “don’t talk to me anymore :), and then asking me to go to a game/place with someone named Andy? which i don’t know a Andy in my life.. what could this mean??? Honestly the guy i was facetiming was really cute and i might have fell in love ? i kinda miss him now Lol

January 2, 2020 at 3:18 pm

Your subconscious mind most likely created him as a placeholder for the guy you’d like to meet–hopefully, you will meet and fall for a guy like him in real life too!

Lesha

January 1, 2020 at 1:51 pm

I keep having a dream at least 3 times a week about my ex and I talking trying to get things together in see if we can have another relationship together , we’re always spending time with one another then her current gf always pops up but as I’m about to wake up out my dream the gf is gone and me and my ex are by ourselves and carrying on conversations . We talk sometimes but not all the time . She admits to still loving me but I dream of her so much . What does this mean ?

January 2, 2020 at 3:27 pm

It shows you still love her and have many memories of her, but it unfortunately doesn’t show how she feels in real life–only she can tell you how she feels, and it seems like she is still somewhat hesitant about the relationship.

Bree

December 30, 2019 at 10:16 pm

So I recently I had a dream about this boy from my school, Him and I, had a thing we kinda dated for like a month and i would always think about him or dream about him but then i stopped dreaming of the person. I havent seen him in like a week but even when we would see eachother we kinda would ignore eachother. But when him and I stared kinda dating my bestfriend started telling me how he actually had feelings for me but then other times she would tell me hes gonna play me so i didnt know what to believe. So then at first i just started out with ima just play with his feelings like he going to do to me. I said to myself how i wasnt gonna fall for him but i ended up started catching feelings for him. Then i started noticing how i would start getting a lot of hate from other females because of it but i didnt care tbh like i felt happy but then i started having trust issues rumors started and thats when the relationship started going downhill. But then we were slowly started trying to fix this.But then he left me for another girl which honestly i thought she was a real friend but i guess not. I tried not to care but i kinda felt hurt. But then i started talking to other guys to try to move on which it kkinda helped. Crazy thing was he would still try to get my attention, he would flirt with other girls or kiss which i was like wow broo i see how it is. But i ignored it so it was fine, then the next day during PE my bestfriend is like very good friends with him so then we were like walking next to eachother and also my guy friend then she left us to go with him and his friend so i was like okay. Then i saw them talking so i was like i feel like there talking about me so i told my guy friend lets go to them. Then my bestfriend was like i need to tell you something so she started telling me how he was saying how he misses me and could win me back. I was like wow okay. But then more things started happening between us but its way to long to right down. But these past two days I’ve been dreaming about him and i just being together and making out, Which was crazy but what does this mean??

January 1, 2020 at 12:38 pm

The dream just reflects the fact that you once had feelings for him and still remember those feelings. Your subconscious may also be using these dreams to help you experiment with the “what-ifs” of what the relationship could have been like if it had lasted.

Kenrick Koh

December 30, 2019 at 7:19 pm

I was in a dream where a friend of mine said this to me during work – “Do you want to be my boyfriend?”. This girl has been dropping hints that she is interested in me but in real life, by acting cute around me, always calling my name during work, ranting how tired she is and wanting to go home and trying to make a conversation, but all that changed when she asked me out to drink bubble tea with her. At the end of the session, I decided to make my move and suggested going out on a night together for dessert but since then, I have been feeling awkward when I see her or avoid her when she sees me glancing at her. What should I do? An advice or so would be really helpful. Thanks! P.S she also ignores my messages nowadays

January 1, 2020 at 12:42 pm

The dream probably occurred because you feel like she has been interested in dating you in your waking life. It doesn’t mean she actually wants to date you or make a move, so you’ll need to flirt with her or ask her out to see what her real-life feelings are.

Taylor lockhart

December 29, 2019 at 7:29 am

I had at least 3 dreams of my boyfriend. All of them were different situations. One was that he was flirty with other girls and I got mad. And one was where he met my family. What do these mean??

January 2, 2020 at 4:02 pm

You are navigating a relationship with your partner, and you should behave in a manner that is appropriate in regard to his actions during your waking life.

Anonymous 128

December 29, 2019 at 2:24 am

I’ve used to had dreams of my ex before he even confessed to me that he actually likes me last time. And the truth is in my case it was different than the rest. He was a toxic person . He would come back to me like nothing he did wrong and go missing out of a sudden from a fight that he created. And the thing is i always get dreams before he even contacts me again out of nowhere. At the start before he evem confessed to me, i did got dreams of him. And this thing had been going on till now. I always get dreams of him before he tries to contact me again or even if he tries to say something. Like my dreams shows me whats gonna happen before he comes and contacts me. And 2 of my dreams came true. Can you please explain to me what is this about? Because no one can explain to me. I have broke up with him 11 months ago and i still do get dreams of him and some of the dreams after my breakup shows me things like he was trying to chase after me and i’m kinda running away from him and he says ” why are you doing this to me??” And stuff like that… He tried to contact me twice after my breakup and i still gotten dreams before he tried. Please explain to me.even till yesterday i am having dreams of him.

January 2, 2020 at 4:09 pm

He was a toxic person, and the two of you have not spoken in a year. Allow these dreams to fade. Determine what you want for your future without him.

Michelleee

December 28, 2019 at 8:07 am

Last night I dreamt that my ex boyfriend kissed me and we made out for a bit. While we were doing it, I thought, he would never cheat on her, especially not with me. Then suddenly we were on FaceTime or some video call and his current girlfriend was in the background, and it felt so real that I remember thinking, maybe they’re in an open relationship. But he said he would call me later so we could continue and then I woke up. I thought I was over him but I always get these types of dreams when I feel the most confident that I am over him. Idk what to think of it.

January 3, 2020 at 7:57 pm

These dreams are indications of your previous emotional connection with your ex. Allow thoughts of him to face, and focus your emotional energy elsewhere.