How to Make Starbucks Matcha Green Tea Latte
As much as we all love Starbucks, we know that some of their drinks spike up our calorie count by a ton. We may feel a little guilty as we take the last sip of our Caramel Dolce Mochas, because we know we might not be making the absolutely best decisions for our bodies. But it’s sooo freakin’ good! How can we stay away? Well, fortunately for you, there are ways to enjoy a beautiful Starbucks drink and be slightly healthy while doing it. So, what is this magical healthy drink we speak of? One word: Matcha.
What is matcha?
You are probably wondering, what the heck is matcha anyways? What’s so great about this weird looking substance? Matcha is a fine powder ground from green tea. But, it isn’t just any green tea. It comes from a specially grown and processed type of green tea. Making matcha one of the best and most pure types of green tea there is out there. Usually you can find matcha in a powder form and it can be used for several different things. It’s been blowing up lately because people are discovering how beneficial matcha is and just how tasty it can be. It’s used in teas, mochas, lattes, cakes, ice creams and is even made into chocolate. How cool is that?
What are the benefits of matcha?
Remember we mentioned that matcha is super beneficial? We weren’t lying. There’s a few different reasons that this should be considered a power food.
- It’s high in antioxidants. Matcha can provide up to five times more antioxidants than your average antioxidant filled foods. Antioxidants are great for boosting your skin, growth and overall health. Matcha specifically carries an important antioxidant called epigallocatechin gallate, a.k.a EGCg. This is known for having properties that help consumers fight cancer!
- It’s great for giving that good old memory a boost and helping you have clearer concentration. Matcha has something called L-theanine in it. L-theanine is an amino acid that is known for helping you produce more dopamine and serotonin. Therefore boosting memory, concentration and making you feel more calm overall.
- It burns calories. Just like the green tea drink, matcha boosts your metabolism and in turn burns up a ton of calories. It’s said that matcha helps burn up to four times more calories.
- It strengthens your immune system. Because of the nutrients and vitamins matcha has, such as vitamins A, vitamins C, calcium, potassium and iron, your immune system will become stronger every time you consume it! So, if you feel a cold coming on, get drinking these matcha drinks a.s.a.p!
- It brings down your cholesterol and your blood sugar. The cholesterol lowering property baffles scientists to this day. They aren’t really quite sure why matcha has such a positive impact on lowering cholesterol levels, but studies have shown that people who regularly consume it have lower cholesterol in general. It also lowers the risk of heart disease.
- It’s great to use when you are detoxing. Because of the chlorophyll that’s left over in matcha leaves when it’s grown, it becomes great at removing toxins and metals from your body when you consume it.
- It gives you a great energy boost. This is great, because you don’t need to worry about it affecting your usual coffee drinks or slowing you down at all. Matcha is derived from green tea and green tea is a natural stimulant. This is due to it’s natural caffeine content, as well as other energy providing nutrients.
Where can you find matcha?
Your local grocery store should carry it. If not, it is really easy to find online. Even Amazon sells it!
Now that we have discussed all the great reasons why you should be using matcha in your latte, let’s get down to how to go about doing so!
Ingredients That You Will Need:
- 1 tablespoon of Matcha Green Tea Powder.
- 1 Cup Of Whole Milk
- 1 or 2 tablespoons of sugar, depending on your sweetness preference. You can also use a packet of Splenda or a packet of your preferred sugar.
- Ice. Enough to fill ¾ of your cup.
- Whipped Cream or Toppings. (Optional.)
What You Will Need To Do To Make An Iced Latte:
- Heat up 2 tablespoons of water or bring it to a boil. Add matcha powder and your sugar into hot water and mix until dissolved.
- Get a glass and add ice to ¾ of your drinking glass.
- Add 1 cup of whole milk or milk of your preference into glass over the ice.
- Stir in your matcha/sugar mixture.
- Add whipped cream and/or toppings on top if desired.
- Enjoy your drink.
What You Will Need To Do To Make A Hot Latte:
- Use a pot and fill with 1 cup of whole milk or your preferred milk choice. You could also use a milk steamer, if you’d rather.
- Keep on low to medium heat and bring milk to a simmer, do not boil. You may risk burning the milk or evaporating too much of it if you boil it.
- Add sugar.
- Add matcha.
- Mix until both have dissolved into the milk.
- Add to your drinking glass.
- Top with whipped cream or toppings of your choice if desired.
Estimated calories: 180 cal.
Estimated protein: 8 grams.
Estimated carbohydrates: 16 grams.
Fat: 8 grams.
Now you have all the tools and information you could possibly want to make one of the healthiest Starbucks drinks there is out there. Not only is drinking matcha lattes way more beneficial than a regular latte, the amount of time it takes to make one is slim to none! If you are a busy mom or just terrible at waking up early, this is a perfect recipe for you. Sometimes it is even hard to drink coffee before a workout, but you find yourself needing the extra energy! A matcha latte sounds perfect for you. Go ahead and give it a try today! You will probably love it.