What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone You Don’t Know?

By on September 4, 2017

When you dream about someone you know, you have a place to start interpreting the dream. They may have appeared because you like them or because they represent a certain kind of quality that you want to have in your waking life. When you do not know the person who appears in your dream, it can be extremely disconcerting. You see them in your dreams, but you can’t tell what they mean because you have never met them in real life. There are a few reasons why you may have an unknown person appear in your dreams though.

dreaming about someone

Your subconscious creates the dreams that you have each night. Currently, neurologists believe that the neurons in your mind fire at random. The images, memories and thoughts that are released are jumbled and completely random. The story in your dreams is put together by the rest of your mind when you wake up and the mind tries to make sense of your dreams.

This is one possible reason why random people appear in your dream. You may have seen them on television or in line behind you at Starbucks. You never consciously noticed them or thought about them, but their image was imprinted into your memory. Because of this, you dreamed about them and your mind just tried to make sense of the memories later on.

Filling a Void

If the neurologists are wrong, your dreams have a subconscious meaning of some sort. If they do, then perhaps your mind is trying to fill some subconscious need, desire or fear. If the person is positive in your dream, you may want to have someone happy and supportive in your real life. If they are chasing you, you may fear that an unknown force or person is working against you. If you dream about an unknown person being your lover, it may represent a desire to have a new romance or increased passion in your life.

It is very easy to believe that the person you see in your dreams is real. It is actually possible that they could be real because you may have seen them at random in your real life. At the same time, they are not someone with a deeper meaning. They give the meaning to the dream, but they themselves mean very little. If you dream of falling in love with an unknown person, it is highly unlikely that you will ever meet them in real life. Instead, they are just someone your subconscious chose to use to represent a feeling, situation, person or something else.

Aspects of Yourself

Sometimes, the people who show up in your dream just represent one of your personality traits or an aspect that you want in your life. For example, you may feel like the entire world is out to get you. Nothing seems to go right. Friends and family members you once trusted have betrayed you, and you are constantly criticized at work. In this scenario, you may dream that an unknown stranger arrives to help you and protect you. This is not because that stranger is actually going to appear in your life. Instead, it is just a sign that you want someone who will help or protect you. Your subconscious was unable to choose someone else to fill the role because you do not have someone like that in your present environment.

In other cases, the dream represents an aspect that you would like to have. Perhaps you are the type of person who works 9 to 5 at a respectable, stable job. You are a dutiful spouse and parent, and you are always on top of things at home. You may dream that a fun, playful person appears in your dreams. This may happen as a representation of the qualities you want in your waking life. You want to have spontaneous experiences and fun, so your subconscious mind lets you experience things in your dreams.

There are times when a stranger appears in your dreams to make you question your waking existence once again. It can be extremely hard to analyze your own thoughts and habits. Sometimes, the only way to gain perspective is when someone else does or thinks the same things. The person in your dream may be a mirror reflection of yourself. It may be a chance for you to wake up, realize the changes that you want and go for them.

Dreams can be extremely, extremely subjective. Because of this, it is important to look at your own dreams and analyze the feelings, people and experiences that occur. By analyzing your dream, you can figure out how it reflects on your own life and subconscious mind. With that knowledge, you can decide what it means when you dream about someone you don’t know.

Manica

January 8, 2020 at 3:52 pm

I have a dream about this guy, his name is tub bee or tub lee. He a Hmong guy. I don’t know him . He keep coming to my dream 3 times. He probably need something. Idk 😐

January 8, 2020 at 7:07 pm

Perhaps he represents a feeling or trait you would like to have in your waking life. The situation in your dream could also indicate what kind of qualities your subconscious mind is trying to express as well.

Kamryn

January 7, 2020 at 4:35 am

Well I had a dream when I was in a hotel and the room next to me had a boy named Alex my age and we ran into each other at the water park and when talked and grew close then suddenly we knew we had a crush on each other but it was strange because in my dream I actually questioned myself asking is this a dream? Then I woke up and said huh it was a dream and I never actually knew Alex from anywhere so what does that mean?

January 7, 2020 at 10:16 pm

Most likely, your subconscious created him as a placeholder for the kind of guy you would like to meet. Once you find a crush or boyfriend in your waking life, your subconscious will most likely replace the image of your dream guy with your real guy.

Zx

January 8, 2020 at 5:31 am

I dreamt of myself being requested by an ex-employer to update a website with eulogies of 2 dead women i’ve never heard of. In the dream, it was frustrating that I can’t seem to get the right images of these women; women A even have a creepy looking picture of women B updated wrongly. I dreamt that my ex-employer and my colleagues almost missed a flight back home because everyone was waiting for me to be done with the updates. What does this dream mean?

January 8, 2020 at 7:15 pm

The dream may show that you feel dragged down by the past and previous experiences. Because you are still wrapping up matters from the past, you feel as if you and everyone else are just waiting around for the future to happen.

Liv

January 10, 2020 at 1:57 pm

I had this dream last night where it was the first day of high school and we had a free period so me and some friends went in the pool. Then after like 10 minutes we went to this dorm room to get changed. We were sorted into classes and I was with my friends who were’nt even going to go to that high school right and then there was this guy called ‘Ryan’ who i was sitting in class on a couch with and i fell asleep on him becuase the teacher never came. oh and the class turned into a train and we went through the entire city so… What does this mean!!!

January 11, 2020 at 11:28 am

This dream seems to indicate that your education is closely intertwined with your social relationships. The train could be a sign that you are interested in traveling or making a change. Sleeping within a dream often means that you will find benefit in introspection.

Matheus

January 12, 2020 at 12:47 am

In My dream I met a boy in a house tree, he was wearing a white T-Shirt and blue shorts.
          We started talking and I fell in love with him and we started dating. I was so happy, so in love with him and he seem happy too.
          When I woke up I smiled and I thought: “I loved this dream I wanna meet him” :/

January 12, 2020 at 11:07 pm

The dream shows the passion and love you want to find in your life. Your subconscious mind most likely made up the dream guy because you don’t have someone to actually play this role in your waking life. Once you find Mr. Right in your waking life, the placeholder guy in your dream will most likely be replaced by the real guy instead.

Neon

January 6, 2020 at 10:23 pm

I Think I’m in love and that for the past 6 months or so and he really lives far away and kinda act like he has feelings for me too but doesn’t Show it, my question is, what does it mean if I dream about someone I don’t know in a romantical way? That happend twice in like a week

January 7, 2020 at 10:17 pm

Your subconscious mind may just be creating this person as a placeholder for the type of romance or relationship you’d like to have some day. You may not have anyone who could play that role in your waking life, so your subconscious created that person instead.

Mouse

January 8, 2020 at 5:18 pm

I dreamed about this guy and he’s my best friend but the way me and him act towards each other is as if we’re together? I don’t know but I feel like it’s my fear of not being loved because I’m not enough or something.

January 8, 2020 at 7:07 pm

This can sometimes happen with friends because the friends are so close together that it feels like they have a romantic relationship, even if this kind of relationship doesn’t actually exist. With that said, some of the closest friendships make the best relationships, so you could always consider being more than just friends!

Bella

January 12, 2020 at 7:33 am

I had a dream that I was in a guys apartment (that I don’t know jn real life) it was a really nice apartment I had my stuff there I was packing and trying to leave to see my kids and then he took me to his room I felt like I was in love with him but he had friends there that didnt like me… what does this mean?

January 12, 2020 at 10:54 pm

The dream may show a concern that you will not be able to find someone to date that is really a part of your life. The fact that the friends don’t accept you may mean you are concerned that you could really combine your life with the life of someone else. Thankfully, a dream only shows your own thoughts, feelings and desires, so this may not be a real issue in your waking life.

Khloe

January 6, 2020 at 6:27 pm

Today I just woke up from a dream and I dreamed about someone he is my friend in the beginning then when we gathered all our friends he suddenly kissed me and told me that we are now in a relationship. After that I woke up. I don’t know him. And for the past few months I keep on dreaming having a boyfriend that I don’t know that person. I am bothered on this happenings. This is the 5th time.

January 6, 2020 at 7:27 pm

I wouldn’t read too much into it. Your subconscious is probably using this guy as a placeholder for the kind of person you’d like to meet someday. Judging by the nature of the dream, it seems like you may want some kind of romance or close relationship to enter your life.

Curious

January 6, 2020 at 2:00 am

I dreamt we were in like a gathering but a party you know? And there is this guy that calls for me and is like “hey is this for you” and he has something for me and I ask how he got it and then he starts laughing and running so I chase him to get what’s mine and then I encounter one of my classmates but we don’t talk to each other however we make instant eye contact (I BARELY KNOW BOTH OF THE GUYS)

January 6, 2020 at 7:52 pm

The dream may show that you want to accomplish or gain something in your waking life, but you feel like your objective is still just out of reach no matter how much you do to get it.

Kingsley

January 5, 2020 at 6:43 am

I had a dream I was in a party/ celebratory event. And I had some ladies with me there, we were happy and celebrating. And we were done, and they were about leaving, I then called out to a girl amongst the rest. She then answered me, and said but I saw her earlier and I didn’t say a word. Then she started coning towards me. Afterwards a friend of hers made an announcement. That the day is her birthday. In my mind and the dream, I was so excited and felt a strong feeling to tell her of my feelings that I liked her and wanted us to be together. Pls what can it mean?
    Note: I know in real life, but we’ve never spoken. And I always admired her the few times I saw her.

January 5, 2020 at 9:36 am

You may just want to have someone to love and care for. Since you admire this girl in real life, your subconscious may have chosen her to play that role in your dream.

Kingsley

January 5, 2020 at 2:39 pm

That’s from a quite solid point of view. Because partly right now, there’s really not a lot of options for my subconscious to choose from. Cos am simply alone at the moment with few or little female interests. I appreciate you for your reply. But one more question; I should be seeing her around soon, but from your explanation:I guess its not necessary to try speak to her and get to know her better. Or is it worth giving a shot at?

Alex

January 5, 2020 at 3:09 am

For about 2 years or so, i started dreaming people i don’t know or forgot i met them in the past. It’s kinda strange.

January 5, 2020 at 9:43 am

That’s really interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Sonya

January 4, 2020 at 7:16 pm

I dreamed about a guy I only see in basketball games. I don’t like him, we don’t even talk and he doesn’t have me on his socials. Why I dream about him then?

January 5, 2020 at 9:44 am

Sometimes, your subconscious mind picks a random person or makes up a person to serve as a placeholder for the kind of qualities or relationship you would like to have in your waking life.

Maria

January 2, 2020 at 10:10 pm

I keep having this dream about a guy that I only know because he does social media and every night I dream about this time where me and him met each other when we was younger and it always seemed like he liked me more than just a friend and each dream I had would involve these similar events in them like I would do social media and me and him would end up working together.

January 3, 2020 at 4:07 pm

Take this time to determine whether or not this relationship is viable. If you are interested in nourishing a relationship, then speak with him.

Haritha

January 2, 2020 at 4:47 pm

I have a dream about multiply i entered into new college even though i am studying in a college and had a phone call to me from help of teacher his name was mathew he said i will help you whatever your need
    I am not answered and woke

January 3, 2020 at 3:45 pm

It seems that you may be interested in furthering your academic career in the future. Make a decision about what you want for your future.

Dominique

January 2, 2020 at 3:14 pm

Hello, I had a dream about a ghost that is a girl or a young woman with orange hair and curvy looking body,she’s very tall but not that tall. I don’t know why but I felt a strong emotion for this woman and I think it’s weird because I’m also a girl. The background was at my grandparent’s place me and my cousins and this unknown young lady was just hanging out, but then suddenly I was switch to another part of the dream and it was two? Or maybe three teenagers older than me like 15 or 16 years old. They came up to me and talked to me about something and when I lean to see the third girl behind them, it was her, the girl with orange hair. Suddenly I went back to my previous dream where my family was shaming at my little brother about his career and he ran away into the fields (my grandparent’s house is close to the farm). I tried to ran after him but he’s to fast and then I called out the girl with orange hair for help and she immediately flew to my brother’s direction,the girl was there patting my brother’s back even though she is a ghost. My brother mumbled something, I think it’s a poet about letting go of something, and then a balloon came into my hand and I don’t know why but I let the balloon go with such great sadness and pride, it felt so real that I didn’t wake up when I cried which I was concerned because I wake up in my dreams when I was about to cry. It started raining and my brother gave me an umbrella, he said I can keep it and he started running back home. Me and the orange haired girl was left and we where walking home as well, she acts so playful like, it’s like me and her where in a relationship for years and I had the feeling to play along. And now I had woken up with confusion and concern, what do you think it meant?

January 2, 2020 at 3:33 pm

The dream might be because of your mind experimenting with different romantic options. It may also show admiration for a female role model or friend in your life. You may also wish you had the love and support of a female peer or close friend.

Hanna

January 1, 2020 at 7:36 pm

I have a dream about a boy that i didnt know and i cant see his face.He was so sweet to me .What does it mean?

January 2, 2020 at 3:25 pm

He may be a placeholder for the kind of person or personality traits you want to have in your life.

Hanna

January 1, 2020 at 7:28 pm

I have a dream about a boy that i didnt know but i cant recognize his face

January 2, 2020 at 3:26 pm

Perhaps he is a placeholder for the kind of crush or friend you would like to meet someday.

Cj

January 1, 2020 at 3:05 pm

There is an event and there is so many people that I can’t remember but there is one guy that I clearly see his face and the rest are not. I have a secret crush on him and something we look to each other. I never seen this person irl how come I see his face clearly

January 2, 2020 at 3:31 pm

The dream seems to show a desire to find a secret crush and someone to love. You might not have someone like this in your waking life, so your dream created a crush for you.

moziah

January 1, 2020 at 10:16 am

I had a dream about a unknown boy and he was trying to date me but I told him that I’m in a relationship because in real life I’m in a relationship. I felt good because he understand and he respected me for it.

January 1, 2020 at 11:57 am

Your dream is a manifestation of your social relationships. Within your dream, you informed this person that you were dating someone else. It is clear that you feel a strong emotional connection with your partner. The respect that he gave you within the dream is an indication of how you should manage your relationships in your waking life.

Ainn

January 2, 2020 at 11:47 am

I had a dream that I fell in love with this guy that I never met and have been in a relationship with. Meanwhile in real life, I haven’t been in a relationship

January 2, 2020 at 3:16 pm

The dream just shows what you’d like to happen in real life. Once you meet someone who can be your love interest, your dream guy will most likely become the real guy you’ve met in your waking life.

paula

January 2, 2020 at 4:22 pm

I had this kind of dream where there is someone liked me and then we tried to work this relationship. We hangout but then we’re not suitable for each other then there is this guy who is his friend i guess? We switched our partners then eventually it worked out. We’re having an outing for our class and we’re in a grocery buying our food and stuff. Suddenly there is this guy who is my schoolmate complementing my bag and then he grabbed it and his hands slowly go down to my waist touching it. Then I walk fast quietly and reached my friend. The scenario was really random i dont know how it connects to my first scenario. Another scenario but same place, I was waiting for my boyfriend to come the i got bored. I walked out to the grocery and walked to my fellow schoolmates who is waiting for the others to come out, but it is so dark that I can’t even see my surroundings and then suddenly I bumped into 2 people it turns out its my schoolmate and we get along really well. Which is weird because in real life we’re not friends anymore and the other one is the guy who liked me before. The end.

Im just confused why there is scenarios in my dream that is not connected to my first dream. Does it mean something?

January 3, 2020 at 3:51 pm

This dream is a sign that you are navigating your social relationships. Take this time to determine what you want for your future, and take appropriate action.

Sara

December 30, 2019 at 4:08 pm

I had a dream where I had met this person and although I don’t really like smoking in real like he had a weird juul and smoked. I found him super attractive and even though the setting was in my own home, I was actually crashing on some friend’s couches. I slept on the couch with him and they tried to wake us up. I’m not sure for what, I think it was to go to dinner or something. These friends I’m not so close to in real life but I recongnized who they were in my dream and they’re super extremely Christian. In my dream when they found me and this very attractive man cuddling on the couch they were a bit taken aback. They kept making me feel wrong for being with him and almost like I was impure. I wanted to kiss him and as I reached over I remember kissing his cheek and he kissed my cheek back. I felt very loved. But I wish we would just be able to be alone away from them because they kept coming back into the living room where we were and they were like alright now let’s go. We kinda ignored them and they weren’t super pushy but I remember feeling my dream like it was so real for some reason. I could feel my lips on his cheek and I could feel his arms around my waist hugging me tighter as he kissed my cheek back a couple times. I just don’t know what it’s supposed to mean. Because yes, I sometimes find people attractive but there aren’t really that many people around me that are dating material for me and I know that I’m really just not ready for a relationship in my life right now, especially since there’s no one around me that makes me feel that loved and someone that I could possibly love back.

January 1, 2020 at 12:44 pm

The dream may have happened because of all of those real-life concerns about wanting to find someone who can love you back. Your dream guy may not be Mr. Right, but he at least gave you a temporary romance in your dreams that you could enjoy.

Helin

December 30, 2019 at 3:27 am

I had a dream that i can’t remember good, but I know some parts. I was going to my best friend whom I have feelings for in the dream then, but I’ve never seen this best friend in real life it is an unknown face to me. So I went to this best friend with another friend of mine. And we were having fun and talking and then she said one friend was coming over to meet us, but then around 10 girls came over and they where all her friends, I didnt get to meet them al because i woke up right after someone asked me if my mom went to Budapest. What does this dream mean.

January 1, 2020 at 12:49 pm

The dream may represent a desire to get out in the world, meet people and to travel on your own.

Xhxh

December 28, 2019 at 12:16 pm

So i had this dream with a guy that doesn’t exist in my real life like we were a couple or something and we were like that for a long time but i was feeling uncomfortable with him like he was lying to me or something but he was trying to convince me otherwise and he kisses me and I kissed him back still feeling weird, and after that i tried to investigate and found out he was not the person he said he was, like he was pretending to be someone I loved, I a found a diary and after reading I remembered the person i feel in love with and his face and everything we did together, and it was not the person who was lying by my side.

January 3, 2020 at 3:54 pm

The diary may be an indication of your memories of an indication social relationship. Introspection will help you navigate your life at this time.

Kaitlyn

December 28, 2019 at 7:08 am

Last night i had a dream about i was walking inside of a building and this unknown guy was walking behind me, until i sat down somewhere and he came and set down right beside me smiling talking to me and i was smiling to about to cry i felt so relieved and happy for some reason. I have never seen this guy a day in my life but we both had a strong attraction for each other what could that mean cause im confused

January 3, 2020 at 8:41 pm

This person may be part of your distant past, and it is possible that he may come into your life in the future. Draw positive people toward you by sharing your positive energy at all times.

Mi Rin Kim

December 27, 2019 at 2:04 am

I had this dream wherein there was a guy (I can’t entirely remember how he looked like) and I was mad at something he did in the past (it was as if he was trying to make me drink something and I realized something and I became mad at him) Then on the dream we saw each other once again. I tried to run away from him but I can,’t and he approached me. And out of the blue he said he wanted to fix what happened. And in the dream it was as if he was courting me and giving me things. He supported me and stuffs and yeah that’s how it ends. I just want to know what it meant. I mean I don’t recall knowing someone like him. And the first part of the dream wherein I scold him and stuff I think I had dreamt of it before (a very long time ago.)

December 27, 2019 at 10:23 am

The dream may reflect your desire to find someone you can really relate to and connect with. You spend the first part of the dream scolding him because you feel as if whatever guy you date will need to be changed in order to meet your ideal goal for a guy. The second part of the dream shows what you would like a relationship to be with and how you’d like your partner to respond to you.