What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone You Don’t Know?

By on September 4, 2017

When you dream about someone you know, you have a place to start interpreting the dream. They may have appeared because you like them or because they represent a certain kind of quality that you want to have in your waking life. When you do not know the person who appears in your dream, it can be extremely disconcerting. You see them in your dreams, but you can’t tell what they mean because you have never met them in real life. There are a few reasons why you may have an unknown person appear in your dreams though.

dreaming about someone

Your subconscious creates the dreams that you have each night. Currently, neurologists believe that the neurons in your mind fire at random. The images, memories and thoughts that are released are jumbled and completely random. The story in your dreams is put together by the rest of your mind when you wake up and the mind tries to make sense of your dreams.

This is one possible reason why random people appear in your dream. You may have seen them on television or in line behind you at Starbucks. You never consciously noticed them or thought about them, but their image was imprinted into your memory. Because of this, you dreamed about them and your mind just tried to make sense of the memories later on.

Filling a Void

If the neurologists are wrong, your dreams have a subconscious meaning of some sort. If they do, then perhaps your mind is trying to fill some subconscious need, desire or fear. If the person is positive in your dream, you may want to have someone happy and supportive in your real life. If they are chasing you, you may fear that an unknown force or person is working against you. If you dream about an unknown person being your lover, it may represent a desire to have a new romance or increased passion in your life.

It is very easy to believe that the person you see in your dreams is real. It is actually possible that they could be real because you may have seen them at random in your real life. At the same time, they are not someone with a deeper meaning. They give the meaning to the dream, but they themselves mean very little. If you dream of falling in love with an unknown person, it is highly unlikely that you will ever meet them in real life. Instead, they are just someone your subconscious chose to use to represent a feeling, situation, person or something else.

Aspects of Yourself

Sometimes, the people who show up in your dream just represent one of your personality traits or an aspect that you want in your life. For example, you may feel like the entire world is out to get you. Nothing seems to go right. Friends and family members you once trusted have betrayed you, and you are constantly criticized at work. In this scenario, you may dream that an unknown stranger arrives to help you and protect you. This is not because that stranger is actually going to appear in your life. Instead, it is just a sign that you want someone who will help or protect you. Your subconscious was unable to choose someone else to fill the role because you do not have someone like that in your present environment.

In other cases, the dream represents an aspect that you would like to have. Perhaps you are the type of person who works 9 to 5 at a respectable, stable job. You are a dutiful spouse and parent, and you are always on top of things at home. You may dream that a fun, playful person appears in your dreams. This may happen as a representation of the qualities you want in your waking life. You want to have spontaneous experiences and fun, so your subconscious mind lets you experience things in your dreams.

There are times when a stranger appears in your dreams to make you question your waking existence once again. It can be extremely hard to analyze your own thoughts and habits. Sometimes, the only way to gain perspective is when someone else does or thinks the same things. The person in your dream may be a mirror reflection of yourself. It may be a chance for you to wake up, realize the changes that you want and go for them.

Dreams can be extremely, extremely subjective. Because of this, it is important to look at your own dreams and analyze the feelings, people and experiences that occur. By analyzing your dream, you can figure out how it reflects on your own life and subconscious mind. With that knowledge, you can decide what it means when you dream about someone you don’t know.

Catherine

October 26, 2019 at 6:29 am

I had a dream that I met this guy somewhere and he kinda seemed familiar but different and we’ve followed each other on social media for a while but never talked and he finally saw me in person and he tried to win my heart by doing romantic things for me and i actually liked it but then i told him I had a boyfriend, the boyfriend i have now, and then he said well whenever y’all are done let me come scoop you up and i told him that that’ll never happen because me and my boyfriend are going to get married so he left but i felt kind of unfulfilled? what does this mean

March 15, 2020 at 3:12 pm

This dream may be a manifestation of your thoughts regarding your social relationships. You currently are maintaining a serious relationship, and this may have caused this dream to reach the conclusion that it did. Nourish your relationship with your partner by spending additional time together in person.

anon

October 21, 2019 at 6:53 am

I dreamed once or twice about a girl I’ve never seen before. She’s always in the background and I wake up before I interact with her.

March 20, 2020 at 7:46 pm

The person who appeared in your dream may be a reflection of your social and emotional desires. She may be an amalgamation of various qualities that you find attractive in a partner. It is possible that she is from your distant past or she may appeared in your life in the future. By sharing your kindness and compassion at all times, you will draw positive people and energy into your life.

lisa jones

October 21, 2019 at 4:52 am

My Son had a dream that he was talking to a group of people, he didn’t know them but he felt as if he use to know them. He said he knew their names before he spoke to them but while he was in a 2 minute conversation with all these different people he had forgotten their names or what they was actually talking about.

Lisa jones

October 21, 2019 at 4:58 am

This is what happened in the dream… all of a sudden his mind went blank and he could understand why? In his dream he just carried on talking and carried going along with it. However, he doesn’t understand why his mind went blank in his dream.

March 20, 2020 at 7:50 pm

This dream could be a reflection of his social relationships. He may find that he is uncertain about what the future holds, which may have impacted his memory within the dream. Having his mind go blank within the dream could be simply an aspect of the dream, or he may feel that the situation at hand influenced his dream.

March 20, 2020 at 7:50 pm

Raven

October 20, 2019 at 4:43 am

I had a dream about climbing on the roof of my house and seeing an old friend that used to go to school with me then I had a dream that it was night time and I went out of my house and it was a beach in the back of my house so I sat on the sand with some people I didn’t know and looked at the ocean. These people that were sitting next to me were my friends in the dream. Someone who was sitting next to me said how beautiful Disney land is and I looked up and saw Disney land in front of me. It was pretty with glowing lights and rides. We were able to see Disney land from my house on the beach. I then got up and looked at the stars in the sky and I felt like I was flying to the stars but then I felt like I was getting higher into the sky and I looked down and I wasn’t flying. I then looked up at the stars again and I was flying I yelled at my friend (which are people I don’t know in real life but I know in the dream and I’m friends with) and I said I can fly and I showed him then I showed my other friends that I could fly and then I woke up. What might my dream mean? I saw stars I was flying and I saw strangers that I was friends with and I saw an old friend that used to go to school with me all in one dream. Does this dream mean anything?

March 21, 2020 at 10:48 am

Flying often shows that you feel independence and freedom in your waking life. Judging by the ream, it seems like you feel capable of going after what you want and experiencing true freedom in your waking life. The old friend may be present to represent the fact that you don’t feel bound by the past.

Victoria

October 19, 2019 at 8:28 am

I dreamt a weird dream of finding things that were taken from me but I’d alway end up in this truck and a man in uniform, who I didn’t know, never saw his eyes would clamber into the truck sit in the passenger seat and the last thing I remember him saying was “So you still think I’m the best looking guy?” And I replied yes, of course and he replied “same” and it was something so light and sensual and I want that I want him though he’s no one I know

March 21, 2020 at 11:08 am

The dream may just reflect a desire to have a sensual, romantic connection in your waking life. You may not have anyone who can actually play that role in your waking life, so you dreamed that you were with someone instead.

Tk

October 19, 2019 at 7:32 am

I had a dream last night that I was inlove with a guy i never met and he made me happy, I was really sad that he was gone and texted him that I missed him even tho he was dead. I woke up crying over someone I never even met before.

March 25, 2020 at 3:28 pm

This dream could be a reflection of your social and emotional desires. It is possible that he was an amalgamation of various qualities that you may find attractive in a partner. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life.

Abby

October 17, 2019 at 3:27 pm

I dreamt about someone texting me that I don’t even know. He told me that He likes me. He talked to me a lot of times, every night in my dreams through text. What does that mean?

April 1, 2020 at 12:16 am

This dream could be a reflection of your social and emotional desires. It is possible that you spend a lot of time texting, and you may nourish your relationships through messaging apps. Take this time to determine what you want for your future. If there is someone that you are interested in maintaining a relationship with, then speak with that person about your thoughts and feelings.

Sana Madre

October 15, 2019 at 5:28 pm

I had two dreams while sleeping.First dream was that I was jumping out from the prison fence which was guarded by electrical wire fence and inspite of knowing about it I jumped and literally felt that huge shock in dream as well. But after jumping I felt like I am slowly turning into ashes and that I have fallen into a never-ending trench. Second dream was about I was witnessing a thunderstorm with heavy rain at my old house and suddenly saw that the tree in my yard was striked by a lightening bolt which shocked me all of a sudden. Pls interpret this dream of mine. P.S: I never thought of any lightening stuff before sleep.

abdiwahab

October 27, 2019 at 6:55 am

that means you probably watch a movie whereby one of the characters jumped out from a prison fence like that of prison break.

March 5, 2020 at 11:06 am

Thank you for sharing your supportive comment.

Lizzeth

December 9, 2019 at 10:54 am

I dreamed about this boy at my school I don’t know him but I’m homeschooled and he goes the same days I go which is Wednesday’s and Thursday’s he also lives in the same town I live. The dream was about me and him dating and my mom didn’t care about us dating because she was almost there every time I was with him I think she was giving me rides and I was trying to find him we may have broke up and I I think he didn’t want nothing to do with me because he was no where to be found

January 9, 2020 at 7:28 pm

The dream may reflect your desire to find a close friendship or a romantic relationship. The fact that he rejects you most likely reflects your fear of being rejected by someone you care about in your waking life. Thankfully, dreams only reflect your subconscious mind, so this scenario probably won’t happen in real life.

Amelie

December 10, 2019 at 6:16 am

This dream means that you have either crossed a line with someone close to you or you are near someone who is a harmful influence. I am not sure which. But either you have offended someone or someone near you is bad for you.

January 8, 2020 at 7:32 pm

It is certain that your experiences and insights will help other members of our community.

Maria Alexandra Dianna

October 10, 2019 at 3:41 pm

I have a dream that I was in my room then my phone rings I answer it then I don’t know who is he and his name is Vincent. He calls me and I answer it. He said that “Rai? I’m in California. I cannot see you anytime then he cried. And also I cried but in reality I don’t know him. I search his facebook account then we have a chat but I don’t know what is his surname. I’d think his name is Vincent. Then I cried because I feel like we’ve met him long time ago.

March 1, 2020 at 3:07 pm

Your dream could be a reflection of various social influences that you may have in your life. It is possible that this person could appear in your life, or he may have been an amalgamation of various qualities that you may find attractive in a partner. Either way, you will draw positive people and energy into your life by sharing your kindness and compassion at all times.

Kathrina Abuel

October 8, 2019 at 7:54 am

I had a dream of a guy in my college class, and we would be full on making out and some other explicit things. I’ll admit, I’ve thought about how he’s kind of cute, but I’ve never talked to him before. Is my desire for wanting some sort of relationship nowadays the reason why?

February 25, 2020 at 1:20 pm

You are clearly attracted to this person, and you may be interested in taking a step forward. Make a decision about what you want for the future of this relationship. Speak with him about your thoughts and feelings, and give him an opportunity to share himself with you as well.

Sophie

October 8, 2019 at 3:38 am

I’ve dreamt w a boy that came to me and talked to me and in a flirty way(?? I started catching feelings and all that. What does it mean?

February 19, 2020 at 5:11 pm

This dream could be a sign that you are interested in maintaining a new emotional relationship at this time. The appearance of the person in your dream could be an amalgamation of of various qualities that you may find attractive in a partner. Make a decision about what you want for your future, and take appropriate action.

Arjun

October 7, 2019 at 4:45 pm

I dreamt about a lady i met in a dream world mall where i previously worked before. We met there randomly and became so close. In a glimpse i would be at her house and we both know we love eachother so much but then it jumps to where she would be outside her home where she is crying talking on the phone. It feels like i dont know her but yet i see her there infront of me and i dont wanna loose her because she is the girl of my dreams and i woke up missing her. This is the first time i fell in love in my dream like that and eventhough i know its not real but the emotions touched me so deep 😢

February 25, 2020 at 1:13 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. The person who appeared in your dream could be a reflection of various qualities that you find attractive in a partner. This person may come into your life in the future, so be certain to share your kindness and compassion at all times.

david

October 7, 2019 at 12:13 pm

im 44yr old guy in my dream im on a dinner date with a woman a few years older than i who shows no real interest in me who at the end of the dream is an older man paying for our dinner and getting it to go and im getting ready to leave with him. when awake ive been questioning my desires. is subconcience trying to tell me

February 4, 2020 at 8:36 pm

It seems that you are navigating your relationships. There may be various people in your life who are influential in your life. Take this time to look inward, as introspection will help you better understand the situation at hand.

Henry griffin

October 7, 2019 at 1:32 am

I had a startlingly real feeling dream this morning about a girl that i still cant put a name to just yet but she still seems to startlingly familiar to me as if i know her but she changed drastically to the point its a different person but i dreamt i traveled throught a underground tunnel with dirt for walls still but it was for cars and when i got through i was at her town in some very rural area possibly in kansas because it was a really flat area with nothing but fields for endless miles and it was like we were together and all that and we even hung out with what im positive was her brother and before i woke up i remembered driving back through the tunnel in a project car that i actually own which is a 1995 oldsmobile cutlass thats never been operational while in my possesion, back to my place and when i woke up the whole day ive just felt so empty like im missing a whole part of my life as if it was the best years of my life and i still cant shake the feeling or how vivid the dream was to me. But the thing startling me the most is i havemt had a dream (or one that i remembered) since i was 10. Im currently 21 now if that makes amy sense. And sorry for unessicary ammount of details but i just really want to know of it could mean something deeper

February 10, 2020 at 4:22 pm

The person who appeared in your dream may have been a partner of your distant past, and she may appear in your life in the future. She may be an amalgamation of various qualities that you find attractive in a partner. You have been feeling empty, so ensure that you fill yourself with positive energy, and share your kindness and compassion with the world.

Margi

October 5, 2019 at 5:51 pm

I dream of a guy I never meet before in my real life. In the dream, it looks like we have common topics and share common interests. But then I decided not to bring this relationship to something romantic. After that, the dream continue where he ask if he can stay over at my place (he is visiting my country) which I say no because my parents are around. But I decided to bring him around town. We went to a coffee shop and he share about his reason of the visit, which is something business

February 4, 2020 at 8:30 pm

Your dream is a manifestation of your social and emotional desires. This person may have been a reflection of various qualities in a partner that you may find attractive. If there is someone in your life that you want to nourish a relationship with, then spend additional time together in person.

Jake

October 5, 2019 at 2:35 pm

I dreamed I was walking in the heavy snow where you can’t even see far, and I see this wrestler I saw on TV last night just walking by to his house nothing but a cape and shorts, no shoes either he walks up to his house and enters, The dream kinda just changes and I’m in some sorta school with people I don’t know but in the dream it felt like I knew them. We just sorta hung out in this room with rows of seats like a movie theater, I kept changing seats for a reason I can’t remember. I Remember everybody just leaving like it was over this woman comes up to me as I knew her and kisses me on the cheek, and I kinda was surprised. We say our goodbyes and the dream just sorta takes me back to the snow, and I’m begging to be back where I was, as I walk into the endless abyss of the snow as everybody else was heading home I didn’t have one and just kept walking.

February 4, 2020 at 6:44 pm

The snow may be a manifestation of a powerful influence in your life. It may also be related to the time of year. It seems that you are interested in making a change, and you may feel that you are moving in a direction that is different than other people in your life.

Christina Rivas

October 5, 2019 at 8:27 am

My dream was crazy, I dreamed that I was running from demons, all around my house, we were living in a cabin in the woods but anyway I was running from the demons and like they kept closing the doors around me while that was happening I was calling out to my dad, he and I were fighting off the spirit’s, like praying lol anyway I was able to break through after that and I was able to make it outside and when I did their was a bunch of snakes, when I seen them I ran past them and while I’m running I try to find my son and he was with me and when I looked back for a minute he was gone and when that happened, i asked my dad where he was and he told me he was at my aunt’s and when he said that I called out to him and when I did, he came immediately and my son brings his brother in the car seat and we start running and we make it out of all that.

Please tell me what that means

January 28, 2020 at 6:30 pm

Dreams about being chased are indications of your concerns or worries that you are managing. The demons and snakes may be indications of your spiritual or religious beliefs. If you have similar dreams in the future, then speak with whatever is chasing you about their presence within your dream.

Marie

October 4, 2019 at 9:59 pm

The house was similar to a house I use to live in but not same. Random people kept coming in my home and I knew none of them I tried pushing them out but they would find a door to come in it got physical to where I would punch these people in the face and choke them because they wouldn’t leave when asked or kept coming in when I’ve said not to I called 911 and was asking for help and I was hung up on. There was a busy road in front of my home with lots of cars going by and a stadium like setting on that road but I could only see the bottom of the bleachers/seats when I woke up my head was in a fog, and I was out of it. My head had tension

January 28, 2020 at 7:20 pm

The violence in your dream is a reflection of your stresses that you are navigating. It seems that you are making a decision about what course of action that you need to take. Make a decision about what you want for your future, and take whatever action that you feel is appropriate.

Annah

October 3, 2019 at 8:04 pm

I don’t know why some unknown man appear in my dreams sometimes. For example, I dreamed about some guy and there was a place really deep, narrow like water stream between me and him. I was standing on one side and tried to across over that stream, fell into it and pretended I couldn’t get up back to the streambank although I knew I can totally get up my own because he was so worried about me and running to me and saved me. LOL I was so happy, pleased,enjoyed being around with him in my dreams. And he was who I literally didn’t know and couldn’t see his face although I tried to see his face but in my unconscious mind, I felt like he was someone I knew somehow and I don’t know why!!!

January 23, 2020 at 2:24 pm

It is possible that this person is part of your distant past, or it is possible that he is an amalgamation of various qualities that you may find attractive in a potential partner. If there is a change that you want to make at this time, then ensure that you navigate your life by sharing your positive energy at all times.

Ayesah Joy

October 3, 2019 at 9:59 am

There is a guy who always in my dreams,I don’t know why I always had a nightmare and he is always there and protecting me. He said that “We’ll meet someday”. From that I always had a dream about him.I always forgot what he actually looks like but as far as I can remember that he’s taller that me and he always wearing a long sleves. What does it mean?

December 30, 2019 at 10:44 am

The dream may mean that you want to have someone who protects you and cares for you in your waking life. Because of this, you dreamed that there was an unknown guy who protected you during your nightmares.

Gabs

January 1, 2020 at 5:54 pm

I had a dream where my brother was close friends with this one guy I’ve never met. Whenever I looked at the guy it felt like he was protecting me. He didn’t talk at all to anyone during the whole dream, but instead seemed to just stare at me at the weirdest times. For example: my pc was broken, I looked at him and it was suddenly fixed. It feels like I’m connected to him and that he’s real, but I don’t know how to figure out who he is since I’ve never seen anyone like him and he seems foreign. What does this mean? What should I do about it?

January 2, 2020 at 3:29 pm

Perhaps the dream shows a desire to find protection or support in real life. You might not have someone to play that role in your waking life, so your dream guy was completely foreign and unknown.

C

January 9, 2020 at 3:09 pm

i had a dream about a girl i only know online. i’ve only seen a little less than half of her face, but in the dream i dreamt about her and the person looked VERY identical? I’m so confused because i don’t even know what she looks like, but in the dream i saw her. like, we were talking it was her. i never knew what she fully looked like, but in this dream i saw her!! she had dark hair, brown eyes, tan-ish skin. like i said, i’ve seen a little bit of her. and she had all of those traits and the person in my dream also had them! is it possible i could’ve seen her without even knowing what she looks like? someone PLEASE help me :((

January 9, 2020 at 7:03 pm

It is possible, but it is also possible that your subconscious mind filled in the blanks because it wanted to use her as a placeholder for someone or something you want to happen in real life.