What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone Who Is Already Dead?

By on March 8, 2018

Dreams can have many different meanings to different people, each dream interpreted slightly differently from the way before, dictated by the setting, scenario, or events that happen during the course of it. Dreams are believed to be the mind’s way of communicating with you — telling you things or reminding you of certain places/people/situations that you might not have otherwise remembered.

What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone Who Is Already Dead?

A very common dream to have is one where a dead friend, relative, or associate pops up. Dreaming of someone who is already dead could, of course, just be a sign that you were thinking of or missing that person. It is very common to dream of someone who has recently passed away, and although this might be of some comfort to you, it might strike the question:

What does it mean when you dream about someone who is already dead?

As well as being a very obvious sign that you miss the person who has died and commonly occurring in the time period immediately following the passing, dreaming of that person is also thought to be a message, of sorts, from beyond the grave. For many years there have been links and theories that the dream world and spirit world could be connected, and if this were to be true, dreaming could be a way for that spirit — the spirit of the dead person — to communicate with you. If it seems that you are being told a message, perhaps to go ahead with someone or even to be wary or cautious of a new adventure you are embarking on, it might just be time to sit back and listen.

Are you rushing into things?

Are you making a poor choice?

Have you thought about it logically and rationally?

In Pagan times, it was traditionally believed that a deceased person communicating advice in a dream was to be listened to and obeyed immediately, any disobedience met by anger from the Gods and the encouragement of bad luck and omens.

Some dream experts believe that dreams of passed relatives in the run-up to a wedding could be interpreted as advice against the coupling.

Dreaming of deceased parents, especially when they are, once again, giving you a warning or advice is thought to be a subconscious sign that trouble is on the horizon and that you should make sure you’re planning for all eventualities, both bad as well as good.

Dreaming of the newly deceased could also be the way that your subconscious tells you that you’re not quite finished with the grieving process. Grief and mourning following the death of a loved one is a process, and it can often be a very lengthy one, particularly if the death was seemingly out-of-the-blue or a shock. In grief-ridden dreams, it is typical to have the same or similar dreams repeatedly, over the course of a few weeks or months. It is also quite common to experience a conflict of some sort, in the dream. This could be seen as a metaphor for how you’re not dealing with your own emotions during the difficult time of your life. Maybe you need to stop bottling your emotions up and actually deal with what you’re feeling. This is very much the case if you are spiralling downwards, feeling lonely, or don’t think you have anywhere to turn. There is always someone that can and will help, and you shouldn’t be afraid to speak out and say that you need comfort or affection.

What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone Who Is Already Dead?2

Finally, there is another dream interpretation that you should bear in mind when looking into the meanings of dreaming about deceased loved ones; it could be a sign that all is at peace, particularly if the dream itself was a pleasant, comforting, or soothing one. Many people worry about what happens to the ‘being’ or ‘soul’ of a person when that person passes on, and a comforting or soothing dalliance in the dream is meant to be a sign that everything is okay and as it should be.

There are often so many different dream interpretations for just one dream-topic alone, which can make it tough to understand what the dream is actually meant to mean or depict. Only you can appreciate the importance of that dream to you, and we hope that you also manage to find comfort following the passing of a loved one.

Carol

March 21, 2020 at 11:22 am

I dreamt this morning of my best friend who passed away. I think she said yes I’m alive. I couldn’t stop crying and telling her how beautiful she looked (she was wearing a beautiful red dress) then I woke up…I didn’t want to wake up😭

March 25, 2020 at 3:22 pm

This dream is a reflection of your social and emotional connection with your late best friend. It is clear that you cared about her and appreciated her beauty. Ensure that this dream guides you in a positive direction. You will honor her memory by sharing your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life.

Maria.j

March 21, 2020 at 10:00 am

Last night i dreamt my brother who died 13 years ago. I never dreamt him before so it’s kinda weird that I’m dreaming him now. I dreamt about his death and the person i believe is responsible for his death. In the dream i saw him as a teenager probably around the age he might’ve been now. I could hear him screaming and the dream I’m running to him and the killer is there standing saying that he was already hurt before i got there. I keep seeing myself in that moment over and over trying to convince my mum that he was alright before. I see myself doing everything i that could’ve been done to protect him that day. And nothing worked. I felt myself hug him and cry telling him that i think about him everynight and i never forgot him. Then i heard a voice say everynight? And that was it i woke up with the tears in my eyes. And a frightful feeling. I don’t know what that means.

March 21, 2020 at 10:36 am

The dream may represent your desire to understand why he died and was taken from you so soon. Many of the things that happened in the dream seem to be questioning why he had to die and what you could have done to protect him. Seeing him as a teenager in the dream probably happened because your subconscious mind is experimenting with all of the what-ifs of what could have happened to him in life if he had not passed away. All of these feelings are very natural to have for years after someone passes on, so I wouldn’t read too much into the dream.

Jessica L

March 21, 2020 at 5:43 am

I had a dream about reattending my dead grandmothers funeral. She died when I was five but this time I was an adult standing over her casket looking down at her. I was confused in the dream and I am confused now😩.

March 21, 2020 at 10:39 am

The dream may have just happened randomly, or perhaps your subconscious mind finally has the space it needs to in order to process that memory. It is also possible that a death or traumatic event in your current life has reawoken similar memories like this one from your past.

Ennov ELF

March 20, 2020 at 10:03 pm

Had a dream about being in an old house I used to lived in. Particularly in my brother’s room. My brother had passed many years ago. He was not present in the dream. But i am in his room, in the old house while planning on some renovation on the house. Why does this symbolize?

March 21, 2020 at 10:41 am

It may mean you want the qualities your brother represented. You may have also returned to that old, familiar house because you need reassurance and familiarity in your waking life. Meanwhile, the plans for renovations may represent your need to make adjustments in your current life so that your current life is what you want it to be.

Mimi

March 20, 2020 at 9:47 am

My friend passed a month ago and I keep having bad dreams . Last night I had a dream of his funeral again but this time the funneral location was completely different than the original funneral and I’m my dream the next day I had to attend a nother sudden funneral which happened to be my brothers. I couldn’t stop crying in my dream and woke up a little sad

March 20, 2020 at 4:54 pm

This dream is most likely connected to the fact that your friend passed and your subconscious is struggling to understand what happened. Even though you consciously know that your friend passed on, it is hard to really understand this in your heart. Often, people will have dreams about a loved one for months or years afterward as their subconscious mind works to process the relationship.

Mia

March 19, 2020 at 3:02 am

Hi. My grandfather passed away 7 years ago and haven’t had a dream about him since. For the first time in 7 years I had my first dream about him. But in this instance my father who is living was in the same dream. And I dont understand why ? And why is it I have dreams about my childhood house we no longer live in. But its mean in a future setting instead of my childhood setting ?

March 19, 2020 at 9:17 pm

Sometimes, you dream about a deceased loved one around a major milestone in life. It only makes sense that your subconscious mind would think back to them and how they would feel if they could see you today. It is also possible that your subconscious mind just needed this much distance from his death in order to safely dream about him and process your feelings.

Meko

March 18, 2020 at 4:58 am

Last night, I had a vivid weird dream about my good friend who past 3 years ago. It was like she never left. There was a wedding that my friends and family were attending (but idk who’s wedding and in a different city.) My friend was helping out with food and drinks. She use to wait tables. I was told during the wedding that she and my long term ex (who has been married to someone else for 5 years now) were dating but not anymore. My Jeep was stolen from the parking lot of this place and my ex offered to buy me a new car once we returned home. As days past after the wedding, her and I communicated like we did before she past but I can’t remember the conversations we had in my dream. Seems weird.

March 19, 2020 at 9:31 pm

The dream may signify that you miss your friend. The fact that it was at a wedding may represent the fact that your subconscious is trying to work through all of the “what-ifs” of how the friend’s life could have turned out if she had continued to stay alive. The purchase of the car at the end may just reflect the fact that you felt like your friend was always supportive and there for you when she was alive.

Almira L.

March 16, 2020 at 3:23 am

Last night, i had a dream of meeting the president(ex president of Indonesia) and his wife.His wife was sitting on a wheelchair, while the president was pushing the wheelchair for her.They laughed and smile together while walking past my house.Somehow, i cried out of happiness and sadness to see them so happy together.Then the president looked at me, smiled then proceed to say something to me while smiling.I didn’t heard what he said.After that, he and his wife continue to walk further.

The ex president died at 11th Sept 2019 (B.J. Habibie), meanwhile his wife died at 11th August 2010 (Ainun).They were both known to have sincere love to each other.Their love story makes everyone melt, including me.

But what does this dream mean? I have absolutely no connections to both of them.I just admire their love story and B.J. Habibie’s wise words.

March 16, 2020 at 3:57 pm

It is clear that you feel a deep appreciation for their love for each other. You seem to want to emulate their relationship. Ensure that their live and their passing guides you in a positive direction. By sharing your kindness and compassion with the world, you will honor their memory and draw positive people and energy into your life.

Ashley

March 15, 2020 at 7:25 pm

Someone I knew had recently passed away. She was in my dream, pop in with smiles and a wave. Her funeral was today.

This was a complete shock to me.

March 16, 2020 at 4:10 pm

Your dream is a manifestation of the strength of your emotional relationship with your late friend. Your knowledge of her funeral influenced this dream as well. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will help you honor her memory.

Jessi

March 15, 2020 at 9:27 am

My friend suddenly and tragically died a few days ago. Last night I had a dream and my friend was just standing in a crowd of people.

March 15, 2020 at 12:31 pm

The presence of your friend within the dream is a manifestation of your emotional connection with them. Their passing certainly influenced your thoughts, and you will find that this dream will influence you in a positive direction. Share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will ensure that you honor the memory of your friend.

Fiona

March 14, 2020 at 3:48 pm

I keep dreaming of a school friend who died. We went through primary school together and I was always really fond of her but at high school we drifted away a bit and weren’t really close. She passed away at ag 18yr in a car crash. I’m not sure why I dream of her now 15yrs later. They are not unpleasant dreams but I don’t remember any conversation. So I don’t understand what they mean.

March 15, 2020 at 2:16 pm

Your dreams are reflections of your previous social relationship with your late friend. Something in your life may have caused this dream to appear. Your lack of memory in regard to the conversation within the dream. Ensure that you honor her memory by sharing your kindness and compassion at all times.

Kimberly Short

March 14, 2020 at 12:59 pm

My best friend of 20 yrs passed away in 2018….I dream of her almost every night..the dreams seem so real..I am still grieving but why am I dreaming of her so much now?

March 15, 2020 at 2:27 pm

These dreams are reflections of the strength of your social and emotional relationship with your late friend. You are grieving due to the strength of your connection, and this is likely why you are dreaming of her. Share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will ensure that you honor her memory.

Mwagale Najat

March 16, 2020 at 5:00 am

I dreamed of my late friend holding her grave coz it wanted to fall in and she was calling me to help her push it back on top and i refused

March 16, 2020 at 3:36 pm

Your dream is a manifestation of your emotional relationship with your late friend. The grave could be a reflection of your knowledge of her passing. You will honor the memory of your friend by sharing your kindness and compassion at all times.

Argon

March 12, 2020 at 5:14 am

I am dreaming about my dead mom who passed away 3 years ago but now i am constantly dreaming about her some dreams are good but others turn into horrifying

March 12, 2020 at 12:14 pm

Your subconscious mind may just be trying to understand where your mother has gone and what her life has been like since then. Losing someone is quite traumatic, so it is also possible that your feelings of trauma are leading to the horrifying dreams you are having.

Ashlee737291

March 11, 2020 at 5:32 pm

I dreamt about my grandmother who died 7 months ago (Aug 7 2019) she was like my mother, she’s the one who took care for us since we were young, I really love her, I just didn’t show that when she was still alive, and I whenever I think of her I wish was still with us and take care of her and show her the love she Always deserve,,. In my dream me and my first cousin, went back in time to print a script, but things didn’t go that well the past went to the present , thing go back to past but the year was still the same,, and I remembered my grandmother, I was looking for her in our house, and there she was she looked kinda dark for her normal skin color, and she was thinner, but didn’t matter I get to hug her, with my cousin and cried, I remember when I still young my grandfather would always threaten my grandmother and would always shout at her, because on the scenarios he created on hes head,, and that my grandfather came and I hid my grandmother and turn to my grandfather and fought him, like I never did before, because we would hide and my grandmother was endure the things he would say to her, and that ofcourse I can’t kill him so we made a deal that if we have evidence that he kill my grandmother, he will be gone in the world, to the present. So I tried to make him, again and again, I just want to be with my grandmother. Then I woke up..

March 12, 2020 at 12:25 pm

The dream occurred because you love and miss your grandmother. The fact that you fought your grandfather and negotiated a deal with him in the dream probably reflects your wish that you could have done something in real life. Even though it was not possible to protect your grandmother from your grandfather in real life, it is only natural that you would want to do so.

Terri McDuffie

March 11, 2020 at 10:34 am

I had a dream about an ex boyfriend whom died and he had red and white worms all over him. Please tell me what does this mean!

March 12, 2020 at 12:30 pm

Worms in dreams often symbolize degradation or negative feelings. Considering the ex died, the worms may just relate to the death since worms symbolically (and actually) process bodies after they die. The dream may just show the simple fact that your subconscious mind realizes that your ex-boyfriend is no longer a part of your life and has moved on to the next world.

Lourdes

March 9, 2020 at 10:24 pm

Hi my dad pastaway 4 months ego and i dreamt 4 times about him as a normal persons 3 dreams he never spoke to me but today he did he told me to go visit him and to stop crying becuse he is worry him so much and to take care for my salfe and my son and to ply lotto whit number 72 i can not understand.

March 12, 2020 at 1:30 pm

The dream seems to reflect the fact that your subconscious understands your father has passed on. In the dream, your subconscious seems to be working through all of the things you think your father would tell you if he had a chance now. All of these things are normal to experience after a loved one dies, and at least the dream gave you a chance to be around him again in some form.

Precious

March 9, 2020 at 3:18 pm

I dream about my Grandfsther and a friend of my grandfather…. this dream is quite scary because in my dream they kill the friend of my grandfather and my grandfather did not know about this and few days they were looking to the friend of my grandfather ,and one day the family i walk near there house and they call me to tell that they found there father and show me the pictures of the dead body. What is the meaning of this

March 12, 2020 at 1:54 pm

Most likely, your dream reflects the trauma you felt about losing your grandfather. Death is always a traumatic experience, so the subconscious mind often uses dreams to try to process these feelings. In this case, it seems like your subconscious mind recognizes that your grandfather has passed on because you see the pictures of his dead body at the end of the dream.

Amanda Mendoza

March 9, 2020 at 8:35 am

Last night I had a dream of a very good friend who passed away in 2011, my grandma who has Alzheimer, my dad,and I worked at my current job. In my dream I was upset about something so I left work and went to my grandmas house where she actually didnt have Alzheimer yet and she asked me where i was going I told her to a friends. I packed a bag and went to spend the night at my friends house, while at my friends house my dad called me and he was upset about me just leaving and not thinking about him or anyone else…I then went on to tell him how he makes me feel and how i feel left out or made of less importance and somehow I dont remember the rest of our conversation except we made up and said I would go over the next day and hang out. Well my friend who is a guy by the way and I never met in person, we became friends over facebook and text messages for 2 years but were never ever able to meet in person in this dream he was the friend who i went to spend the night at.

March 12, 2020 at 2:42 pm

Maybe the dream reflects the fact that you miss your grandmother and wish that she would approve of whoever you choose to be with. The dream definitely seems to show that you wish you could be open with your dad about how you feel, and a part of you may also wish that this Facebook friend could have become more than just a friend at some point.

Ronel

March 8, 2020 at 8:29 pm

I dreamed about my father who died 9 months ago. He died in my dream and so did my mother,my fiancé and 2 of my kids. All in one car accident.

March 12, 2020 at 2:48 pm

When you love someone, it is only natural to fear losing them. In this case, you have actually gone through what it is like to lose your father. The way you felt about your father may have led to the dream of losing your mother, fiance and two of your kids. You love these people, so it is only natural that your subconscious may be afraid of one day losing them like you lost your father.

Eva

March 8, 2020 at 3:08 pm

I had a dream that my grandmother that has passed away 9 years ago was with me and she asked me to take her to certain places because she had to do some things. She never talked in my dream I just knew we had to go to these places. Some of the places were awkward but we went and I waited for her to do what she had to do. Then we passed a scary place that was close to an ocean and the waves were high but I went with her and we made it. We kept going to different places and I would always tell her let’s go. I remember her wearing white. What does this dream mean?

March 12, 2020 at 2:53 pm

Perhaps the dream occurred because you feel like your grandmother had other places she still wanted to go in life, and you wish that you could take her there. The fact that you thought one place was scary in the dream and was still able to go through the high waves anyway may be symbolic of the confidence and support your grandmother once gave you. While she might not be able to be a part of your day-to-day life anymore, at least she was able to temporarily become a part of your dreams.