What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone Who Is Already Dead?

By on March 8, 2018

Dreams can have many different meanings to different people, each dream interpreted slightly differently from the way before, dictated by the setting, scenario, or events that happen during the course of it. Dreams are believed to be the mind’s way of communicating with you — telling you things or reminding you of certain places/people/situations that you might not have otherwise remembered.

What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone Who Is Already Dead?

A very common dream to have is one where a dead friend, relative, or associate pops up. Dreaming of someone who is already dead could, of course, just be a sign that you were thinking of or missing that person. It is very common to dream of someone who has recently passed away, and although this might be of some comfort to you, it might strike the question:

What does it mean when you dream about someone who is already dead?

As well as being a very obvious sign that you miss the person who has died and commonly occurring in the time period immediately following the passing, dreaming of that person is also thought to be a message, of sorts, from beyond the grave. For many years there have been links and theories that the dream world and spirit world could be connected, and if this were to be true, dreaming could be a way for that spirit — the spirit of the dead person — to communicate with you. If it seems that you are being told a message, perhaps to go ahead with someone or even to be wary or cautious of a new adventure you are embarking on, it might just be time to sit back and listen.

Are you rushing into things?

Are you making a poor choice?

Have you thought about it logically and rationally?

In Pagan times, it was traditionally believed that a deceased person communicating advice in a dream was to be listened to and obeyed immediately, any disobedience met by anger from the Gods and the encouragement of bad luck and omens.

Some dream experts believe that dreams of passed relatives in the run-up to a wedding could be interpreted as advice against the coupling.

Dreaming of deceased parents, especially when they are, once again, giving you a warning or advice is thought to be a subconscious sign that trouble is on the horizon and that you should make sure you’re planning for all eventualities, both bad as well as good.

Dreaming of the newly deceased could also be the way that your subconscious tells you that you’re not quite finished with the grieving process. Grief and mourning following the death of a loved one is a process, and it can often be a very lengthy one, particularly if the death was seemingly out-of-the-blue or a shock. In grief-ridden dreams, it is typical to have the same or similar dreams repeatedly, over the course of a few weeks or months. It is also quite common to experience a conflict of some sort, in the dream. This could be seen as a metaphor for how you’re not dealing with your own emotions during the difficult time of your life. Maybe you need to stop bottling your emotions up and actually deal with what you’re feeling. This is very much the case if you are spiralling downwards, feeling lonely, or don’t think you have anywhere to turn. There is always someone that can and will help, and you shouldn’t be afraid to speak out and say that you need comfort or affection.

What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone Who Is Already Dead?2

Finally, there is another dream interpretation that you should bear in mind when looking into the meanings of dreaming about deceased loved ones; it could be a sign that all is at peace, particularly if the dream itself was a pleasant, comforting, or soothing one. Many people worry about what happens to the ‘being’ or ‘soul’ of a person when that person passes on, and a comforting or soothing dalliance in the dream is meant to be a sign that everything is okay and as it should be.

There are often so many different dream interpretations for just one dream-topic alone, which can make it tough to understand what the dream is actually meant to mean or depict. Only you can appreciate the importance of that dream to you, and we hope that you also manage to find comfort following the passing of a loved one.

Argon

March 12, 2020 at 5:14 am

I am dreaming about my dead mom who passed away 3 years ago but now i am constantly dreaming about her some dreams are good but others turn into horrifying

March 12, 2020 at 12:14 pm

Your subconscious mind may just be trying to understand where your mother has gone and what her life has been like since then. Losing someone is quite traumatic, so it is also possible that your feelings of trauma are leading to the horrifying dreams you are having.

Ashlee737291

March 11, 2020 at 5:32 pm

I dreamt about my grandmother who died 7 months ago (Aug 7 2019) she was like my mother, she’s the one who took care for us since we were young, I really love her, I just didn’t show that when she was still alive, and I whenever I think of her I wish was still with us and take care of her and show her the love she Always deserve,,. In my dream me and my first cousin, went back in time to print a script, but things didn’t go that well the past went to the present , thing go back to past but the year was still the same,, and I remembered my grandmother, I was looking for her in our house, and there she was she looked kinda dark for her normal skin color, and she was thinner, but didn’t matter I get to hug her, with my cousin and cried, I remember when I still young my grandfather would always threaten my grandmother and would always shout at her, because on the scenarios he created on hes head,, and that my grandfather came and I hid my grandmother and turn to my grandfather and fought him, like I never did before, because we would hide and my grandmother was endure the things he would say to her, and that ofcourse I can’t kill him so we made a deal that if we have evidence that he kill my grandmother, he will be gone in the world, to the present. So I tried to make him, again and again, I just want to be with my grandmother. Then I woke up..

March 12, 2020 at 12:25 pm

The dream occurred because you love and miss your grandmother. The fact that you fought your grandfather and negotiated a deal with him in the dream probably reflects your wish that you could have done something in real life. Even though it was not possible to protect your grandmother from your grandfather in real life, it is only natural that you would want to do so.

Terri McDuffie

March 11, 2020 at 10:34 am

I had a dream about an ex boyfriend whom died and he had red and white worms all over him. Please tell me what does this mean!

March 12, 2020 at 12:30 pm

Worms in dreams often symbolize degradation or negative feelings. Considering the ex died, the worms may just relate to the death since worms symbolically (and actually) process bodies after they die. The dream may just show the simple fact that your subconscious mind realizes that your ex-boyfriend is no longer a part of your life and has moved on to the next world.

Lourdes

March 9, 2020 at 10:24 pm

Hi my dad pastaway 4 months ego and i dreamt 4 times about him as a normal persons 3 dreams he never spoke to me but today he did he told me to go visit him and to stop crying becuse he is worry him so much and to take care for my salfe and my son and to ply lotto whit number 72 i can not understand.

March 12, 2020 at 1:30 pm

The dream seems to reflect the fact that your subconscious understands your father has passed on. In the dream, your subconscious seems to be working through all of the things you think your father would tell you if he had a chance now. All of these things are normal to experience after a loved one dies, and at least the dream gave you a chance to be around him again in some form.

Precious

March 9, 2020 at 3:18 pm

I dream about my Grandfsther and a friend of my grandfather…. this dream is quite scary because in my dream they kill the friend of my grandfather and my grandfather did not know about this and few days they were looking to the friend of my grandfather ,and one day the family i walk near there house and they call me to tell that they found there father and show me the pictures of the dead body. What is the meaning of this

March 12, 2020 at 1:54 pm

Most likely, your dream reflects the trauma you felt about losing your grandfather. Death is always a traumatic experience, so the subconscious mind often uses dreams to try to process these feelings. In this case, it seems like your subconscious mind recognizes that your grandfather has passed on because you see the pictures of his dead body at the end of the dream.

Amanda Mendoza

March 9, 2020 at 8:35 am

Last night I had a dream of a very good friend who passed away in 2011, my grandma who has Alzheimer, my dad,and I worked at my current job. In my dream I was upset about something so I left work and went to my grandmas house where she actually didnt have Alzheimer yet and she asked me where i was going I told her to a friends. I packed a bag and went to spend the night at my friends house, while at my friends house my dad called me and he was upset about me just leaving and not thinking about him or anyone else…I then went on to tell him how he makes me feel and how i feel left out or made of less importance and somehow I dont remember the rest of our conversation except we made up and said I would go over the next day and hang out. Well my friend who is a guy by the way and I never met in person, we became friends over facebook and text messages for 2 years but were never ever able to meet in person in this dream he was the friend who i went to spend the night at.

March 12, 2020 at 2:42 pm

Maybe the dream reflects the fact that you miss your grandmother and wish that she would approve of whoever you choose to be with. The dream definitely seems to show that you wish you could be open with your dad about how you feel, and a part of you may also wish that this Facebook friend could have become more than just a friend at some point.

Ronel

March 8, 2020 at 8:29 pm

I dreamed about my father who died 9 months ago. He died in my dream and so did my mother,my fiancé and 2 of my kids. All in one car accident.

March 12, 2020 at 2:48 pm

When you love someone, it is only natural to fear losing them. In this case, you have actually gone through what it is like to lose your father. The way you felt about your father may have led to the dream of losing your mother, fiance and two of your kids. You love these people, so it is only natural that your subconscious may be afraid of one day losing them like you lost your father.

Eva

March 8, 2020 at 3:08 pm

I had a dream that my grandmother that has passed away 9 years ago was with me and she asked me to take her to certain places because she had to do some things. She never talked in my dream I just knew we had to go to these places. Some of the places were awkward but we went and I waited for her to do what she had to do. Then we passed a scary place that was close to an ocean and the waves were high but I went with her and we made it. We kept going to different places and I would always tell her let’s go. I remember her wearing white. What does this dream mean?

March 12, 2020 at 2:53 pm

Perhaps the dream occurred because you feel like your grandmother had other places she still wanted to go in life, and you wish that you could take her there. The fact that you thought one place was scary in the dream and was still able to go through the high waves anyway may be symbolic of the confidence and support your grandmother once gave you. While she might not be able to be a part of your day-to-day life anymore, at least she was able to temporarily become a part of your dreams.

Bing

March 8, 2020 at 5:41 am

I work in health care. My boss who is a Doctor passed away last Oct. Last night I dream of him, he was in a coffin filled with red water or blood I’m not sure. What is that mean?

March 12, 2020 at 3:00 pm

It may just mean that your subconscious mind finally realizes and accepts that he has passed on. Even if your conscious mind is aware of that fact, it is hard to accept that in your subconscious mind sometimes. Because of this, the dream may have just been your mind’s way of processing all of your feelings.

Ms_ella

March 8, 2020 at 1:26 am

Last night I dreamt I was on a road trip with someone I do not remember and on our way we met a mutual friend of ours that was looking for the house address of a dead friend of mine

March 12, 2020 at 8:57 pm

Perhaps the dream merely reflects the fact that you’d like to reconnect with your old friends. This kind of dream is especially common after a friend passes on because it is hard for the subconscious mind to truly understand that the friend is no longer a part of this world.

Shontina Smith

March 6, 2020 at 11:38 am

I had a dream last night about my aunt who had been dead for over 42yrs. I was one years old when she had passed away. I had dreamed that we were at her funeral. I am wondering why I had a dream about a dead relative dying again. .

March 12, 2020 at 9:26 pm

Sometimes, you dream about deceased relatives around milestone events because your subconscious mind naturally wants to know how they would have felt with where your life has gone. It is also possible that this dream was entirely random as well, so it may have just been a memory of your aunt or a photo of her that appeared at random in your subconscious mind.

Elle

March 6, 2020 at 4:30 am

Last night I dreamt a caravan of family/friends were driving to my grandmother’s funeral. Oddly enough, she passed when I was around 8/9, in which Im currently 40. I woke up before we actually got there, but I really wished I could’ve seen it all the way through JUST to see her.

March 12, 2020 at 9:36 pm

The dream may have happened because you miss your grandmother and wish that she could still be a part of your life. It is too bad you didn’t stay asleep long enough to see her–it is always nice when you get to see deceased loved ones in your dreams again.

Mo

March 5, 2020 at 8:45 pm

I had a my recently passed grandmother or at least she was just part in the dream I found out that my current relationship is not loyal to me and that my grandma was there to comfort me

March 12, 2020 at 9:28 pm

The dream seems to reflect your desire to have your grandmother’s love and support. It also seems to indicate that you may be worried about the fidelity of your current relationship, although there is no way to know from just a dream if your partner is loyal or not, so I’d be careful about reading too much into the dream.

trey

March 2, 2020 at 11:10 pm

i had a dream about my grandmother who was like my second mom she passed away like about 8 months ago but we always went out to eat with my mom and my papa and my aunt and her kids but i dreamed she was in all white with pearls around her neck and she looked soo young i could hardly tell it was her

March 3, 2020 at 3:02 pm

The dream happened because you miss your grandmother and wish she could still be in your life. She looked young and healthy because that’s how you wish that she could be in your waking life as well. This kind of dream is quite natural, and at least it gave you a chance to feel close to her again.

Jailene

February 29, 2020 at 1:47 am

My brother was killed 7-8 years ago, we did not grow up together so we did not have a lot of communication. Last time I saw him I was 18 (I’m almost 28). In my dream I had visited our country and ran into him at the mall and as I saw him I ran to hug him and I felt the happiest. we didn’t have a conversation but he was talking I don’t remember word for word but what he was saying where things like what’s the point of having siblings if you can’t hug them like this when you feel alone and just very sentimental things all in all. In my dream he was not dead and I did not know he was dead it just felt the realest ever. I have never dreamt of him not even when he lived. When I woke up I remembered he is dead and was flooded with emotions I didn’t even feel when he passed and I have been non stop crying since I woke up. My arms feel empty and my cheek cold because I’m missing the warmth from his chest and arms from my dream. I woke up because The emotions running through that dream where too much to deal with while asleep. I wish I could have held on a little longer to the dream 😭

February 29, 2020 at 9:52 pm

This dream is a reflection of your previous emotional connection that you shared with your brother, even if the two of you were distant during your waking life. When you woke up, these powerful feelings impacted you. Because of this, you should allow your dream to influence you in a positive direction. Behave in a manner that you believe would make your brother proud.

Karen Evans

February 28, 2020 at 11:51 pm

Last night I dreamt my soon to be husband cheated on me with an ex girlfriend whilst on holiday with me and both our families. In the dream I wake up to see my partner has cheated with this girl whilst I’m asleep and his Mum knows about it and is just telling me to get over it. My partner starts acting like it doesn’t really matter and it’s like he has two girlfriends in the holiday but he is treating her nicer than me. It all gets to much for me and I run out into the street to see a girl I knew years ago from work. (Who in real life has passed away in the last 2 months) We ended up chatting for ages and then a funeral pass us. You couldn’t see anyone’s faces. It was a 3 big white horses with a carriage and people dresses all in white a sleep. The men riding the horses where all dressed in black with motorcycle helmets on. All of a sudden I realize the girl I’m talking to has already died so I have to hug her and take a picture with her whilst she is sitting next to me as I wil never see her again

Karen

February 28, 2020 at 11:55 pm

I also wasnt close to the girl how had died. I hadn’t seen her in years!

February 29, 2020 at 9:55 pm

This dream is a reflection of various emotional influences in your life. Do not allow the infidelity within this dream to influence your behaviors if your partner has not behaved this way in your waking life. These are common fears for relationships, so nourish your connection by spending additional time together in person. The emotional connection that you shared with your late friend also appeared, so honor her memory by sharing your kindness and compassion at all times.

Christine Duval

March 10, 2020 at 6:25 pm

My sister died 4 years ago on March 2, 2016. Last week I dreamt I was with her, her husband and our mom and dad. (Who are also dead) We were all in an airport walking to the gate of our flight. That part ended. I dreamt again (same night) that my sister was sick and left for another place for treatment. While gone, my mom told me my sister started to smoke. She HATED smoking, just like me. I called her and said you’re there to get better. Why are you smoking?! She said well I go for my treatment and then all I do is wait. It’s boring! I said well geez, you could do something else. The very next night I dreamt I was at work. My brother in law walked in and got a call. They were telling him my sister died. He was crying so bad. I said what?! What?! Is she dead? He said yes. I started to cry and he hugged me. Then all of a sudden my mom was there next to me. My brother in law wanted to leave to go to my sister. I said, yes, yes you go ahead. I’ll driveway my mom and I and meet you there. We got in car to drive then the dream ended. What does it mean to dream of a loved one that is already dead and that she is dying in the dream?

March 12, 2020 at 1:12 pm

The dream just shows that your subconscious mind is still trying to accept the fact that your sister has died. Even though it has been years since she died, it is only natural that your subconscious mind would struggle with accepting this fact. You loved her, so it only makes sense that your subconscious mind would still be trying to process her death all of these years later. It may have just needed to wait until you were a safe emotional distance away from her passing.

February 29, 2020 at 9:55 pm

Tracy

February 27, 2020 at 3:39 pm

Last night I had a dream about my best friend who passed away in 2017. She asked me to follow her in to another room behind a closed door and then we just hugged each other so tightly. I don’t remember anything after that. Oh how I wish I could hug her one more time.

February 27, 2020 at 6:22 pm

This dream is a manifestation of the strength of your emotional connection with your late friend. It is clear that you valued her connection. It is possible that something in your life caused this dream to appear, so you should make a decision about the best way to honor her memory. Be certain to share your kindness and compassion at all times.

Gabrielle Castillo

February 27, 2020 at 1:21 pm

Last night I had a dream about my late grandma. She passed about 9 months ago, and I sadly was the only family member not there when she passed. I was on vacation, and I think that might be something I regret? Not being able to say bye?

I should start with my grandma was bound to a wheelchair for 14 years from MS and ironically passed from a heart attack. I am the only other one in our family that has too been diagnosed with MS, and I feel maybe I am holding guilt for my grandma leaving me to fight this disease alone now?

In the dream, my grandma had a stroke (this is not how she passed) and was basically left in a vegetable state. And my family and I came together and decided it was best to put my grandma down? Like as in something you would take your pet for? So in the dream, we are spending our last day with my grandma and sort of beating around the bush of not saying what we are doing. But I can’t help but being crying the whole time and telling my grandma how much I love her and apologizing to her. My family got mad at me and told me I wasn’t supposed to say anything to her and I just cried and cried more and laid in my grandmas arms while she just looked in so much pain.. I woke up with such a heavy heart, and I don’t know what this is meaning?

February 27, 2020 at 6:27 pm

Your dream is a reflection of the strength of your emotional relationship with your late grandmother. You may feel that your family members do not understand your shared connection with her. Allow the negative aspects of this dream to fade, and focus your emotional energy in a positive direction. You will honor the memory of your grandmother by sharing your kindness and compassion at all times.

Joy

February 27, 2020 at 12:43 am

I dreamt about my greatest love who passed away 6 months ago. In my dream, i saw him from afar and afterwards, he laid down and cuddle with. In my dream I am aware that he is already dead thats why I was crying. What does it mean?

February 27, 2020 at 6:37 pm

This dream is a manifestation of the strength of your emotional connection with your late partner. Something in your life may have reminded you of him. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will help you honor his memory.

Betty

February 29, 2020 at 8:31 pm

I had a dream last night about my friend who died 34 years ago. I haven’t thought about him in a long time and he appeared in my dream. He was happy in the dream although I don’t remember what was said.
      I don’t know if this has anything to do with my cat getting lost 3 weeks ago and I haven’t found him yet

February 29, 2020 at 9:39 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your previous relationship with your late friend. You mentioned your cat, which may be a sign that your cat and your friend have similar qualities. You care deeply for your cat, so allow this dream to guide you in a positive direction. Share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy toward you.

Addison

February 26, 2020 at 3:43 am

Last night i dreamed about my grandpa who passed away almost 5 years ago. I knew he was dead and was trying to cherish the moment. We all sat together on the couch and talked. I tried voice recording it at the time thinking once he left i’d still be able to listen to it. I don’t think our family ever fully dealt with his death. He was like my best friend.

February 26, 2020 at 9:46 am

When someone passes on, it can feel impossible to move on afterward and handle the grief. Dreams like this are your subconscious mind’s way of processing those feelings. You wanted to talk to him and record his voice in the dream because you wish that you could experience a conversation with him just one more, final time.