What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone Trying to Hurt You?

By on May 9, 2018

They say that dreams are your mind’s way of trying to tell you something — a message from the deep subconscious. Not everyone believes that, of course, but even those who believe dreams mean nothing at all, will still feel uncomfortable after waking from a bad one.

Dreams of Being Attacked

Being attacked can mean in both a physical or a mental way — either full-on altercations with someone or being attacked in a verbal form, via internet trolling, for example.

Both of these — physical altercations and cyber-bullying — can leave a person feeling victimised and as though the people around them are trying to attack them. If you are currently experiencing a similar situation in real life, your dreams could just be projected thoughts and fears — what you worry about happening in real life.

In many cases, when you dream of being attacked, it isn’t because you are physically or mentally being attacked by someone else, but more that there is an ‘attack’ or battle going on within yourself. You could be battling with a lack of control, for example, which is making you feel vulnerable and almost prey-like.

Being attacked in a dream could also mean that you are feeling defensive about something. Perhaps there is a little situation going on in your life that you feel like everyone else is trying to destroy, but you are trying to save and protect. One might feel this way when family or friends disapprove of a dating choice, or with other life decisions.

Who Started It?

When you take a look at the bigger picture, you may realise that it isn’t YOU being attacked, but rather someone else being defensive as a result of your attacking actions. If you started the attack, again, it doesn’t mean that you are going to physically attack someone, but more that you are self-sabotaging — giving everything up for the sake of a new relationship, perhaps? Self-sabotage can come in many forms, but if you feel conflicted about a situation, not knowing whether or not it is the right one for you, that could be the reason you are dreaming of being attacked.

How Are You Being Attacked?

The smaller components of a dream can often make up the bigger picture, so you will want to pay close attention to HOW you are being attacked in the dream, and not just by whom.

Dreaming about being stabbed, for example, can often mean that you are going through a tough situation — stressful times.

Dreaming about being stabbed in the back, on the other hand, can mean that you are stabbing yourself in the back — ignoring your own gut instinct or voice to do something that might not be a great choice for you.

What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone Trying to Hurt You? 1

Being chased in a dream can mean something else entirely from being stabbed. If someone is chasing you with the intention of attacking you (or that is what you believe), it could mean that you are running away from something you should be dealing with in a more head-on way. Maybe you are avoiding conflicts with friends because you just don’t want to ruin their relationship and tell them that their boyfriend is playing away?

Who is Attacking You?

Going back to the dreams of being stabbed, the person who is doing the hurtful action can portray a message. Being stabbed or attacked by a partner could mean that you feel betrayed by that person, although, it might not mean in quite the way you think. Yes, there is a chance that you feel insecure and suspect that your partner may be playing away, but there is also a bigger chance that your dream is trying to reflect a slightly different message. Maybe your partner is doing something that you don’t agree with, and you have decided to keep your mouth shut about it? Or you haven’t yet brought it up with him and are scared to?

Again, dreams are usually a reflection of what is going on in our own REAL lives. It’s not a mirror image and shouldn’t be taken as such (you are probably not going to get physically attacked just because you have been in a dream), but if you just so happen to get weird dreams around the same time that you have a personal crisis, you’ve found your answer.

Are you running away or avoiding something? It’s time to tackle it.

Joanna

April 2, 2020 at 6:31 pm

i am having dreams of giant trolls (like the ones from harry potter) chasing me and ripping me and anyone that gets in their way. they’re ripping them apart from their head to their ankles. i don’t know what that means but the troll is looking for something… help?

April 2, 2020 at 6:48 pm

Being chased within dreams are often manifestations of concerns or worries that you may have in your life. The appearance of the trolls are likely related to the media that you consume. If you find that you have similar dreams in the future, then you should address whoever or whatever is chasing within your dream regarding their purpose. This should help to reduce the likelihood of similar dreams from appearing in the future.

Jaden

April 1, 2020 at 9:41 pm

I have dreams often with very similar circumstances to eachother, in the dream I have a stepfather (this is sometimes people I know such as teachers I dislike and sometimes it’s a random guy I don’t know) I don’t like said stepfather and most of the time I’m a jerk to the guy, then I usually end up breaking something often its something he’s working on, when I break this thing and he looks at me in anger I immediately panic, for some reason at this point in the dream I get an instinctual feeling that I’m going to be raped and murdered, and then the man chases me with an knife. I usually wake up shortly after he starts chasing me. (Ps, I used to have a stepfather but he never did anything to me and it’s not always him in the dream, also I’m a guy so it’s not even a rational fear) these are the only dreams I consider to be nightmares as they are the only dreams that scare me, any other dream that someone might consider scary doesn’t spark any fear for me, but these ones make me panic.

April 2, 2020 at 7:01 pm

The placement of your stepfather may simply be a placeholder for a male figure that makes you feel uncomfortable. This doesn’t mean that he was abusive, but rather that your relationship with him may be strained or no longer exists. If you have dreams about being chased or attacked in the future, then address whoever appears in your dream regarding their purpose. This may help to reduce similar dreams from manifesting in the future.

Sam

April 1, 2020 at 3:50 am

I keep dreaming my schizophrenia / drug abuser brother is breaking into my home and attacking my and my children. We never had a decent relationship with each other. And my parents are managing his monety. They live across the country and everytime he wants to get their attention or desperately needs more money than his monthly share he shows up at my house. Im the bait.. that catches my parents attention for him to get more money. Strange thing is I keep having dreams of him .. showing up and in all my previous dreams he would end up showing up in the exact outfit i dreamed him wearing.. EXACT. As of recently I have been dreaming him breaking into my house..with a knife saying he needs to leave a mark only then my parents will get the message.. I think I will drive my self insane with fear.

April 1, 2020 at 8:16 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your thoughts and feelings related to your brother. You understand that his behaviors were abusive, which is likely why he has appeared in your dream. Dreams of being attacked may be manifestations of concerns and stresses that you may have in your life at this time. If you have similar dreams in the future, then address him within your dream regarding his purpose. This may help to reduce similar dreams from appearing in the future.

Kara

March 29, 2020 at 6:51 am

I keep having dreams about my ex killing me. I’ve had this same dream for the past 4 years (off and on) and it won’t go away. I dream it at random times and it freaks me out. We share a child together so I still have to deal with him, but I don’t like to. He is both emotionally and verbally abusive and he always has been. He uses our daughter in anyway he can to hurt me. These dreams really bother me and they make me nervous.

March 31, 2020 at 11:22 pm

You are aware that your ex is abusive. You may want to speak with your daughter about his behaviors. If you feel that he is speaking to her about you in a disrespectful manner, then you may want to write that information down. Anything that he does should be recorded, as this may be useful to you in a court case in the future, should he behave in an inappropriate manner with your daughter.

L

March 26, 2020 at 1:53 am

I had a dream I was arguing with my husband. In the dream he let my health insurance lapse on purpose and I yelled at him “how could you do that. You know I have cancer you f**k.” (I don’t actually have cancer) in the dream he replies back with “pay for your own shit. Get a job you bitch.” And walks away from me. I am bald in the dream and I am wearing a purple bandana on my head. I woke up so hurt and feeling like the person I am laying next to is true Evil. I can’t go back to sleep.

March 26, 2020 at 10:24 pm

Your dream is not a reflection of reality. Do not allow this dream to cause you to have negative emotions for your partner. If his behaviors are inappropriate in your waking life, then there may be something that you need to address. Take this time to determine what is appropriate for your future. If he is respectful and considerate to you, then nourish your relationship by spending additional time together in person.

marie

March 25, 2020 at 8:40 am

i had a dream that i was in school and then all of a sudden terr came out with a gun (this was suprising as hes really nice) he was pointing it at people and not saying anything but everyone got the message and then all of a sudden a twin pops out from nowhereand is patting terry on the back, terry look at me like hes sorry. afterwards i find myself guiding people into a place where it is safe from the guns. i mannage to escape to the other playground with a couple of other friends but i cant get out. then a teacher (who i wont reveal the real identity of) saw me and smiled i was scred because he was part of the whole shootig thing and so im sittin there in the playground waiting for the inevitable to my supreise he lets everyone go apart from me and my best friend he tells us to get in his carand i get in then half way through the journey i realise that my friend isn’t there. he drops me off outside my house and so i get out walk to the shops and get some sweets as i walk back to my house hes still waiting there in his car he beckons me over and i try to run but im really slow and the next thing it jumps to me in his car again and then it jumps to me in his house he pins me down onto a bed but i dont remeber anything explicit happpening and then all of a sudden i headbutted him and got out the house i woke up shaking and heart beating it was very strange becasue im not a misbehaving student and both teachers are very nice to me.

March 25, 2020 at 1:26 pm

This dream is a reflection of your knowledge of recent shootings and other violent events. It is clear that there are many stresses in your life that you may be dealing with at this time. Take this opportunity to make a decision about what you want for your future. If you have similar dreams in the future, then address the shooter within your dream regarding their purpose, as this will reduce similar dreams from appearing in the future.

Jesse

March 24, 2020 at 7:27 am

My boyfriend and I have been in a serious relationship for 7 months. However I figured out about a month ago that he had been lying to me about drugs and alcohol and things I don’t like for the last 4 months of it. We had agreed we’d both stop drinking and such as we didn’t want that lifestyle for when we have kids. Well he lied about it and I found out. So we broke up for 3 weeks and he dive-bombed so to speak and picked up all his bad habits again and then realized what he lost. So he dropped all his habits again and now we’re back together. And we are super happy and he treats me now the way I should’ve been treated the whole relationship but he was too busy trying to keep up with his lies that he treated me rather poorly. Now I’ve been having dreams about him smoking again or drinking and so on. Last night however was the first time I had a dream that he was doing those things and I caught him so I slapped him in the face (which I would never lay a hand on anyone because I’m not a physical person at all). And he told me he’d been lying still all along and I was stupid for falling for it again and I slapped him again and I was crying and he tried to attack me with like a small blade like a box cutter and a few other things to hurt me. I truly believe he’d never lay a hand on me. I know he loves me but I don’t know why I keep having recurring dreams of him still living that lifestyle and me finding out and getting super upset. And now this time with him attacking me. Could it be he’s still living that lifestyle and hiding it from me? I read this whole article and I felt I related to some of it but I’m looking for something clearer?

March 25, 2020 at 1:40 pm

It is clear that he is an unhealthy individual who treats you in a disrespectful manner. You are aware that he has lied to you, which means that it is likely that he is lying to you about other things as well. You should immediately end this relationship. It is important that you protect yourself from abusive and neglectful relationships.

Jesse

April 26, 2020 at 10:13 pm

I am back a month later. Things have been better in our relationship but the trust issues are still serious. However we don’t vocalize it to each other as much as we’re trying to work past the past. My horrid dreams I had been having stopped this last month after I commented but have started back up again. This time it’s dreams that he is lying to me again and dreams that he cheats on me and I become physical (which I again will say I’d never lay a hand on anyone…I just simply don’t have a bone in me too). Why does this keep happening??
        And for anyone’s reply…what justifies an abusive or neglectful relationship if he isn’t physically violent or doesn’t scream at me? How do you know if it’s abusive or neglectful?

April 27, 2020 at 6:20 pm

The crux of your comment is about understanding what makes a relationship abusive or neglectful. If your partner chooses to treat you inappropriately on a physical, mental, emotional, or social level, then you are being abused. If you share your concerns with your partner and they ignore you, then they are neglecting your needs. Neglect can also take the form of not listening to you, avoiding you, or making you feel lonely. If these things apply to your relationship, then consider what you want for your life.

Abby

March 18, 2020 at 2:05 am

I had a dream that in local news there were mysterious cases of babies going missing. And in this universe my friends and I were drinking, but for some reason I wasn’t. And my friends went home early and my boyfriend was still tipsy. Then this old lady and two younger girls came up trying to sell something to us. And so I opened the door, asking them to politely go away. Then I closed the door, and suddenly I was really tipsy, but I didn’t drink so it didn’t make sense. So I thought maybe the lady drugged me somehow in that interaction, so I looked out the window and she was trying to get into my car. So we called the police and for some reason I stepped outside to confront her and her face turned into like a really menacing face. She overpowered me and I was lucky enough that an officer came up to us and got her off of me. I then explained what happened and it turns out that the lady wasn’t breaking into my car, she was trying to put the babies that were missing, that she had kidnapped into my car. And what’s really troubling to me is that this isn’t the first dream of had with someone trying to trick me and then hurt me. I don’t know what it could mean but it doesn’t allow me to sleep because it scares me so much that I wake up.

March 19, 2020 at 9:22 pm

If your dreams revolve around someone trying to trick you and hurt you, perhaps that is what you are afraid of in your waking life. You may be concerned that other people don’t have your best interests at heart, and you are worried that you won’t be able to tell if someone is doing something nefarious in secret. While it is terrifying to experience these dreams each night, the good news is that they only reflect your subconscious feelings and probably do not show what can or will happen in your waking life.

Swat

March 17, 2020 at 4:03 am

I got a dream where my own mom dad were hurting me and that has never happened in real. First it started with an argument where they just kept going on and on and on until I couldn’t control and responded once verbally. As soon as I responded my dad got up and started hitting me and hurting me until I couldn’t bear and just ran out of house screaming with thought that I should just milk myself.. weird thing is that faces weren’t even my real mom dad faces but it was my old house and they were in my actual mom dads clothes. I lost my father recently ( 4 months back ) .

I’m having one extremely difficult life going on since one year.. it was worst last year , it’s better than last year now but I’m getting weird and negative dreams everyday. I used to sleep without dreams earlier. I used to get dreams once in a while but since last couple of months , I’m fetting these kind of dreams almost ever day .. I don’t understand what’s wrong .!!!

March 19, 2020 at 9:27 pm

Perhaps this dream just shows some of the negative experiences you have about losing your father. Your subconscious may be struggling to work through all of the emotions that have come up since then, so it is using your dreams to try to make sense of things. Most likely, the fact that your dad was abusive in the dream most likely reflects the anger and hurt you feel about losing him.

alyssa

March 25, 2020 at 10:57 am

i had a dream that started off alright up until i went out of my front door because i had been hearing loud noises coming from outside. i looked down to see a stranger that somewhat looked like my stepfather doing something (stealing? not sure) down from the stairs below me. i was yelling for my mother who happened to be in the driveway with my baby sister in her car when this happened screaming for help but she didn’t seem to hear me. the man below me however was alerted by my yelling and started chasing me up the stairs with some sort of mechanic tool in his hand and yelling at me, saying i wouldn’t get away from him. i had tried screaming for my mother to get in a car with my sister so they wouldn’t get hurt but she also didn’t hear this until the very last second, she went across our house to enter throughout our other door, completely ignoring what i said about getting in the car and driving away. my sister wasn’t with her however. a few seconds after i allowed my mother in, the man came pounding on the door my mom had just came out of. i was using all my strengthen to keep him out which worked and he went away. time passed and i went outside to find some friends but then i ALSO got attacked by another random stranger? i forgot how it all happened but i do remember a few of my friends dragging him away from me. after that my teeth started falling out few by few while still were loose but not falling out and all i remember being was confused. i woke up then and am still, a few hours later, still confused as if it’s a random dream or has any sort of meaning?

March 25, 2020 at 1:12 pm

This dream seems to be a manifestation of various potential social, emotional, and financial stresses that you may be dealing with at this time. It seems that you may feel that there are aspects of your life that you need to address. If you have similar dreams in the future, then address whoever is causing you stress within the dream regarding their purpose. This will prevent similar dreams from manifesting in the future.

Idris

March 16, 2020 at 7:57 am

I had a dream I was walking out of my dorm to the hallway only for my roommate to block my path and put me in a headlock. I break out of it and tell him that I’m going to report him as I walk away. Keep in mind that he is actually a decent person but I just don’t like him much at all really.

March 16, 2020 at 3:10 pm

This dream could be a reflection of your dislike for him. You may be aware that his behaviors make you feel unsafe. If there is any reason for why you want to no longer be his roommate, then speak with the administration about your feels and record their response in a journal. This will help you in the future.

Ryan

March 16, 2020 at 6:46 am

I had a dream a few nights ago that I was outside swimming in the summer and when I got up to change my shirt a girl came up to me and moved her hair and the side of her face to show me a third eye that she had. It wasn’t in the typical place of the forehead it was at the side of her face

March 16, 2020 at 3:21 pm

It is possible that this eye may be meaningful to you in some way. You may feel that this person may come into your life in the future, though the third eye may not be apparent. Take this time to determine what you want for your future. You will draw positive people and energy into your life by sharing your kindness and compassion at all times.

Caoimhe

March 16, 2020 at 6:43 am

I had a dream last night that my best friend since birth that lives far away from me headbutt me in front of people because I approached her and she said she thought I was trying to hurt her. The headbutt put me to the floor and I’m much bigger than her when I got up everyone around us was expecting me to hurt her back and she was explaining herself and I wasn’t even angry. all I did was say that it was okay and I walked away. What does this mean?

March 16, 2020 at 3:25 pm

The behaviors of your best friend in your dream could be indications of a concern that you may have in your life, though her presence in your dream may not be a reflection of her behaviors within your life. If this dream has no basis in reality, then allow the negative aspects of this dream to fade. Strengthen your connection with your best friend by spending additional time together in person.

Adi

March 8, 2020 at 7:21 am

I had a dream that some four girls entered in my house through the window. They all have guns in their hand. They started firing at me but the bullets aren’t reaching to me. They tried their best to kill me but unfortunately they don’t. What does it means?

March 12, 2020 at 8:53 pm

The dream seems to show a fear of some kind of outside force or influence. The fact that they aren’t able to kill you may mean you feel confident that real-life obstacles or dangers won’t actually be able to touch you after all. Thankfully, a dream only reflects your own subconscious thoughts and fears, so it is unlikely that anything like this will actually happen in your waking life.

Anna gracia

March 2, 2020 at 1:41 pm

I dreamt that someone’s watching on me outside my house. At first, I didnt entertain the idea so I just went back in and for a while, had a happy conversation with my boyfriend. I went outside again to get something, but this time, he was closer to me, hes standing right at the gate. Our gate is almost opened and he was eyeing for something, I think it was the mop we have, but I dont know what was that for. Horrified, I rushed back in and closed all our door. I immediately told my boyfriend what I just saw outside. That man was terrifyingly glaring at me. I think he was planning to break in and kill us.

March 3, 2020 at 3:11 pm

The dream may mean you feel like there is some kind of outside danger that threatens you physically, mentally or socially. It may be symbolic for a threat in your waking life. The fact that the man didn’t harm you in your dream may mean that you feel like you still have time to overcome the danger in your waking life.

Midna Garcia

February 28, 2020 at 2:55 am

I dream repeatedly of my brother hurting me in different ways. Either raping me or molesting me or hitting me or stabbing me. My age in my dreams change and his attacks are always sudden.

February 28, 2020 at 5:12 pm

The dream seems to show that you feel some kind of fear or negative feelings about your brother. It is also possible that you just feel fear or anger about someone or some environment in your waking life right now, and your subconscious mind just picked someone at random to play the role of the attacker. Whatever the reason is, it is unlikely that your brother will actually do any of these things in real life, so I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

Sebastian

March 17, 2020 at 1:20 am

Thanks for the interpretations that you have offered. Tonight I had two bizarre and frightening dreams. It was one of those dreams that’s a mix of places you’re familiar with. It was in the location of my current apartment but was my bedroom from my childhood in its appearance. After walking around my room, I am then being held down by a stranger who begins to jab his fingers into my armpits and pushing harder and harder. The stranger slowly turns into my Dad. No matter how hard I try to fight, or break away, and despite my yelling, it seems it won’t end. I wake up, my armpits were hurting and I was upset. I fell back asleep a few minutes later and I return to the same dream but this time it’s more painful, more intense, and more frightening. The pain is even worse in my armpits. I wake up to myself kicking my coffee table over. My armpits are still very sore as though fingers were jabbed into them. My Dad and I have a great relationship. I can’t figure out the root cause or causes of these dual dreams in one night. Any insight?

March 19, 2020 at 9:33 pm

The dream may show something about your dad, but the general weirdness of the dream makes me think that your subconscious created it to explain away the pain in your armpits. Perhaps you bumped something in your sleep or grabbed your armpits in your sleep, but your subconscious just made up dreams to explain why your armpits were hurting while you were sleeping.

shayor

February 28, 2020 at 2:28 am

I had a dream that a group of women attacked me on the street. They wouldn’t let me go. They held my legs and body , I was pinned down and couldn’t move. I was just praying to my God inside of me. I screamed for help but nobody could hear me. but eventually a guy i have never seen before in my life later came to rescue me and chase them away. i got so scared when i woke up and i prayed immediately.

February 28, 2020 at 5:24 pm

The dream may show a fear of a similar group of women in your life. You may feel like you need the support of people around you in order to escape from potential harm or danger. After a dream like that, it’s no wonder you woke up scared! Thankfully, it only shows the feelings going on in your subconscious and not what will actually end up happening to you.

Kathlyn ramos

March 10, 2020 at 5:22 am

I’ve dreamt twice about being chased by my boyfriend in the dream I’m running from him because hes trying to physically hurt me , in the past he was abusive physically
        But I made it clear I wasnt staying around for that kind of treatment and he hasn’t done it since

March 12, 2020 at 1:21 pm

Your dream seems to reflect the fact that you have previously been in an abusive relationship with him, and a part of your subconscious mind must still be afraid that you could end up returning to that kind of relationship. As long as he doesn’t return to past behaviors, you can continue the relationship.

Riley

February 27, 2020 at 10:50 am

I had an odd dream last night about me and a few friends being cursed. One of the friends was someone I was romantically involved with and I was happy to see him. I accidentally got us all cursed and 29 keys came to the room. The keys told us to do something or we will die in a horrible way. One of my keys told me that I had to get all my teeth pulled out or something terrible would happen. All of my friends held me down and pulled out all of my teeth and I couldn’t talk but nothing bad happened to me. What does the dream mean?

February 27, 2020 at 6:31 pm

This dream seems to be a reflection of various aspects of your life. Dreams about curses are often indications of the media that you have consumed in your life. You may feel that you have a strong bond with your friends, though this dream could be a reflection of concerns that you have in your life. Dreams about losing teeth are common as well, and you may feel that you have lost something that was once important to you.

Kenzie

February 25, 2020 at 3:18 pm

So I’ve been talking to this guy for about 4 weeks and just last night i had a dream/nightmare that he came into my house and started yelling for me and once he saw me he staring running and yelling at me

February 25, 2020 at 3:57 pm

Dreams about being chased or harmed are often reflections of concerns or worries that you may be navigating in your life. It is possible that this person was a placeholder for someone else in your dream. It is also possible that your have noticed that his behaviors have caused you to feel uncertain about your relationship. Take this time to determine what you want for your future, and take whatever action that you feel is appropriate.

Mel

March 30, 2020 at 7:24 am

I keep having dreams about strangers trying to hurt me and the dreams are very memorable to me. I had a dream about someone trying to break into my house to stab me. I just had another dream about a strange man following me and my friend at night and cornering us and we had to run.

March 31, 2020 at 10:36 pm

Dreams about being chased and attacked are often manifestations of concerns and worries that you may have in your life. If you have similar dreams in the future, then address the people who are harming you regarding their purpose within your dream. This will help to reduce similar dreams from appearing in the future.

Tay

February 23, 2020 at 4:59 am

I keep having this dream about hanging out with my family then I would leave to go do something and there would be this old couple talking about something and I would be polite and say hello then they would start to argue about something then the old man would try to attack as the lady would try and stop him but sometimes she would attack me too.what does is mean

February 25, 2020 at 4:08 pm

These dreams could be reflections of your knowledge of strife that may occur within relationships. You may find that this dream may appear in the future. If it does, then you may want to speak with the couple about their dispute. This will provide you with insight regarding your dream and may cause this dream to no longer appear in the future.

Cassy

February 19, 2020 at 7:06 pm

I had this dream where my bf is hurting me but emotionally he was doing things I wouldn’t approve off and just wasn’t listening his brother was involve too but I find it weird bc I was having more of a conversation with him then my bf but his brother wasn’t listening to me either I was crying and things got out of hand. In real live though my bf doesn’t give me a reason to not believe his intentions he’s a good person and loves me. Idk if it’s my insecurity’s or not.

February 25, 2020 at 5:38 pm

You are aware that this dream is not an accurate reflection of the behaviors of your partner. You may feel that your relationships with your partner’s brother may be nourished. You will find benefit by spending additional time with your partner in person.