50 Sad Quotes About Love
Whether you have just gotten over a break up or you are going through a rough patch, these quotes are all about the sadness that often accompanies being in love. Although love is known for being one of the most enjoyable sensations, far too many people end up down in the dumps when their relationship ends. If you need a reminder that you are not alone, read through these sad quotes about love. You can also add some of your own quotes in the comment section if we forgot some of your favorites.
1. When you are in love and you get hurt, it’s like a cut… it will heal, but there will always be a scar.
This is a very poignant way to say that being in love can be painful. Even after years have passed, we often remember our first break up or the loss of our first love.
2. Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.
If the person that you are dating is not willing to be with you through the tough times, then they are not worth your love.
3. Waiting for you is like waiting for rain in a drought – useless and disappointing.
Although this is a depressing way to think of a failed relationship, it describes it perfectly.
4. Everybody is going to hurt you; you just have to find the ones worth suffering for.
All relationships have their ups and downs. What makes a difference is finding a person that is worth experiencing the lows with.
5. I tried to forget you, but the harder I tried, the more I thought about you.
Anyone who has ever gone through a break up can sympathize with this sentiment.
6. One of the hardest things in life is watching the person you love, love someone else.
Unfortunately, your ex will not remain single forever. At some point, they will move on and you will have to see them with someone else.
7. “Hearts are not had as a gift, But hearts are earned…” -William Butler Yeats
This sad quote about love basically means that you need to find someone who deserves and can earn your love.
8. I love crying in the rain because when I do no one can hear the pain.
If you were looking for a rhyming, poetic couplet, this is one of the better sad quotes about love.
9. One day you’re going to wake up and realize that you should have tried.
Sometimes, you are not in the right mindset to be in a relationship and you do not try your hardest. Too late, you realize that the person who left you was someone that you really wanted to spend a lifetime with.
10. Sometimes you have to let people go because they’re toxic to you. Let them go because they take and take and leave you empty.
It almost sounds like the lyrics to a Taylor Swift song, but the sentiment is accurate.
11. If you leave without a reason, don’t come back with an excuse.
If your ex-boyfriend or ex-girlfriend breaks your heart and expects to be taken back easily, forget about them.
12. Make your move before I’m gone because people change and hearts move on.
Another rhyming couplet, this quote expresses the desire for an ex to get back in contact while also implying that you are ready to start moving on.
13. Every heart has a pain–only the way of expressing it is different. Fools hide it in eyes, while the brilliant hide it in their smile.
Although your heart is breaking, you can still go about your life like nothing has happened.
14. What do you do when the only one who can make you stop crying is the one who is making you cry?
This idea is perhaps one of the reasons why a break up is one of the most difficult things to get over ever.
15. The greater your capacity to love, the greater your capacity to feel the pain.
This wonderfully expresses the ideas that feelings are relative. By experiencing greater joy, you set yourself up for greater pain later on.
16. I never stopped loving you, I just stopped showing it.
Unfortunately, this sad quote about love is extremely accurate.
17. When you’re around someone so much, for so long, they become a part of you. And when they change or go away, you don’t know who you are without them.
As we become used to our partners, our identity starts to change. Imagining a world without them can be difficult and takes time.
18. It’s hard to forget someone who gave you so much to remember.
You may want to forget them completely, but it is unlikely that you will ever be able to really do so.
19. Being with someone who doesn’t love you isn’t called loyalty, it’s called stupidity.
How many people waste time in relationships where their partner does not really care?
20. “It is better to have loved and lost than never to have lost at all.” -Samuel Butler
Although ending a relationship is painful, being in love and experiencing the closeness of being with another person is worth it in the end.
21. It’s hard to wait around for something you know might never happen, but it’s even harder to give up when it’s everything you want.
If you have a crush on someone and you know that they may never love you back, this quote about unrequited love is for you.
22. Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.
23. “For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, “It might have been.”” -John Greenleaf Whittier
Sometimes, your lovesick feelings are caused by not taking a risk on love when you could have.
24. Never make someone a priority, when all you are to them is an option.
If they do not love you as much as you love them, they are not worth your time.
25. It hurts when you have someone in your heart but can’t have them in your arms.
This is another quote about the depression that comes from having unrequited love for someone else.
26. People say never give up, but sometimes giving up is the best option because you realize you’re just wasting your time.
If you have spent years on a dead end relationship, you deserve to move on.
27. I hate it when crying is the only way to feel better.
Hopefully, you will be able to start moving on after a good crying session.
28. If you don’t let your past die, your past won’t let you live.
Although you do not have to forget your past completely, you must learn how to live with the memories. Don’t stay focused on the past or you will forget to truly enjoy life.
29. When people can walk away from you, let them walk. Your destiny is never tied to anybody who left.
This is a modification of the quote “let a caged bird fly free”. If they love you, they will return.
30. It’s sad when you realize you aren’t as important to someone as you thought you were.
This is perhaps one of the worst feelings in the world.
31. Some say its painful to wait someone. Some say its painful to forget someone. But the worst pain comes when you don’t know whether to wait or forget.
When you do not know if your relationship is truly over, the in-between feelings that you occupy are uncomfortable and painful.
32. I tried really hard, I promise. But one day I just woke up and I couldn’t handle it anymore.
If you were the one to leave, this sad love quote was made for you.
33. “Some of us think holding on makes us strong; but sometimes it is letting go.” -Herman Hesse
Learning how to let go of someone when you have to is one of the hardest experiences in life.
34. If a man wants you, nothing can keep him away. If he doesn’t want you, nothing can make him stay.
If he is gone, then say good riddance. You cannot make someone stay who does not want to.
35. Just because someone desires you, doesn’t mean that they value you.
Unfortunately, most people have to learn the hard way that this quote is true.
36. The wrong person will never give you what you want, but they’ll make sure they get what they want from you.
Everyone wants something. Hopefully, the person that you are dating wants love and a relationship as much as you do.
37. I don’t hate you. I’m just disappointed you turned into everything you said you’d never be.
When the person who seemed so amazing quickly becomes just another disappointment, it can be heartbreaking to realize.
38. Never let an old flame burn you twice.
The imagery in this quote is wonderful, and it is extremely true. Learn your lesson and do not get burned by them again.
39. No one will ever understand how much it hurts.
Every relationship and experience is different, so it might be impossible for someone else to truly understand how you feel.
40. The longer you dance with the devil, the longer you stay in hell.
I love the imagery in this quote and the idea that it expresses. Staying in a toxic relationship will only make things worse for you.
41. Never run back to whatever broke you.
Like the previous quote, this one expresses the idea that you should not go back to someone who has hurt you so terribly. You deserve better than that.
42. Sometimes we create our own heartbreaks through expectation.
Expectation can be a terrible thing. When you have expectations, your partner will either meet them and be adequate or they will fail miserably.
43. You can never love people as much as you can miss them.
While you are dating them, you may not realize how much you care. It is only being apart from your ex that makes your realize how much you really valued them.
44. It’s terrible to lose someone we love, but it’s even worse to lose ourselves while loving them.
Too many people stop hanging out with their friends and basing their entire identity on the relationship. When things go sour, you end up losing yourself for a time.
45. Nothing hurts as badly as a broken heart.
Although I am not sure how true this quote is, there are definitely times when a broken leg seems much easier to handle than getting a broken heart.
46. We have to hurt in order to know, fall in order to grow, lose in order to gain, because all of life’s lessons are taught through pain.
This sounds like an almost positive take on the experience of getting your heart broken.
47. You not wanting me was the beginning of me wanting myself.
Hopefully, going through a break up will be a way for you to learn how to love yourself and be happy just enjoying life.
48. She is the kind of girl who is always smiling and loves to laugh.
This sounds like a quote that was written by someone who cannot get over losing their ex-girlfriend.
49. Loving someone who doesn’t love you back is like hugging a cactus; the tighter you hold on, the more it hurts.
Ouch! Although it sounds painful, the analogy is quite accurate—holding tightly to someone who does not care only causes more pain.
50. I remember all those crazy things you said, you left them running through my head. You are always there, you are everywhere. But right now I wish you were here.
After your break up, your ex broke your heart. For some reason though, you still want them around.
Getting over a break up is never easy, but at least you know that other people have gone through the same experience. With time, you will gradually heal. Stay busy, find new hobbies and spend time with your friends—it will make the time go faster and give you something positive to focus on.