Is Someone Missing You If You Dream About Them?

By on May 9, 2018

When you dream about a specific person in your dream, it is common to apply whatever happened in the dream, into a ‘real life’ setting. For example, if you were to break up with your boyfriend and then dream about getting back with him, it would be easy to believe that getting back with him is the right thing to do … Except, that isn’t always the case.

Dreams are presented to us in code and symbols, which we then must decipher ourselves. One person may have a dream that means one thing to them, but the very same dream could mean something entirely different to someone else. Not only that, dreams rarely mean what they’re actually showing you.

There is an old saying that goes something along the lines of:

“When you dream about someone, it means they are missing you.”

Although a nice sentiment, it isn’t exactly a true one. There is a chance that the person you have just dreamed about DOES miss you, but there’s a bigger chance that the person is a reflection of something in your own life. I had a dream about Tom Hardy last night, but he doesn’t even know that I exist, so there’s no way that he could miss my presence.

Is Someone Missing You If You Dream About Them 1

Dreaming of someone in particular, such as a friend or a relative, could be your mind’s way of saying that there’s something you need to see or understand. Perhaps you aren’t getting the bigger picture about that person, or there’s something in your mind that just doesn’t work out right. Maybe you think that your aunt may have been acting weird when you saw her last week? A dream about her that then follows on from that meeting and realisation could be a sign that you know something is wrong, but haven’t yet addressed it … but need to. Your mind is telling you that something isn’t quite finished or right yet.

If you were to dream about friends that you had at school, it could be because they miss you, or that you miss them. Or, more likely, that you miss a part of that time. Mortgages, marriages, medications … Adult life is tough and with so many daily obstacles. If you’ve been having a hard time, dreaming about old school friends is probably your mind’s way of saying that you miss that time, not specifically the people of that time.

Let’s say that you dream about your boss. Your boss probably doesn’t miss you when you are not at the office. No boss likes their employees that much (or vice versa). What it could mean, on the other hand, is that you have a cross to bear with your boss, or that you are missing something boss-like in yourself. Maybe you need to work on your confidence levels to finally get that promotion you’ve been trying to get for a number of years? Maybe you could take a peek at your air of authority and see if it would be better suited to a higher job role?

If your boss is constantly stripping you down and making you feel uncomfortable or sad in your dream, there’s a chance that you’re having a problem with authority itself right now. Maybe you don’t agree with everything your boss has had to say lately, or think that a project would work better if done your way, rather than theirs?

It might be time to face the beast or learn how to live with it a little better. Your dreams are often a side effect of what you are already feeling — your current emotions and pent-up frustrations. The only way to let those go is to deal with them. Ask why you keep getting passed over for that big promotion, or speak to your boss about your new and innovative ideas. Sitting down and waiting for something to happen isn’t the best course of action. Sadly, not all good things don’t come to those who wait.

If you dream about an ex, don’t go running back there. That’s not always what your dreams mean, even if that’s exactly what they portray. Look what happens in the dream — when you get back together, do you live your happily ever after? Or are things exactly the same as they were before. That could be your mind’s way of telling you that nothing will change if you get back together — you already know that, so by going against that, you’re going against yourself.

Is Someone Missing You If You Dream About Them 2

It’s hard to let go of someone that you really care about, especially when all you do is dream that they miss you. Sadly, dreaming about someone doesn’t always mean that they do miss you. It’s usually a sign that you need to work on something within yourself.

Cindy Lou Who

February 22, 2020 at 10:25 am

This guy had caught my attention, he is someone I haven’t seen much before, until now with schedule changes going on. Yes, perhaps a little crush has developed and I had been thinking of approaching him to actually talk and get to know him, but the night I decide to, I have a dream where one of his friends shows me a screen recording/screenshot of him kissing a boy who is drinking a beer, it didn’t seem like fun drunk kissing (they seemed very sober), it looked passionate and meaningful. The setting in which his friend showed me this was in our school gym (everyone in the gym was changed and ready for the gym period which is funny because I have the same gym period as him just different teacher so I do see him during gym). Once I finished seeing that I just looked down and saw him in the distance he looked kind of ashamed and had an awkward look on his face and that was the end of my dream. Now when I see him at school i try not to pay much attention to him so he doesn’t feel uncomfortable around me. I don’t want to assume he is a homosexual because of my dream, I mean I barely know the guy, I don’t even talk to him, I’ve just seen him in my new class. But there’s always the what if’s just in the back of my mind keeping me from getting close to him. I don’t want to get close to him with these feelings already there and take his friendship and kindness the wrong way and make things uncomfortable for the both of us. Also I have no problem with homosexuality I accept everyone and any love is beautiful! it’s just confusing since this is the guy I like and never have I had a dream like this.

February 25, 2020 at 4:34 pm

It would be beneficial for you to not make any assumptions based on this dream. It seems that you are interested in this person, so take this time to determine what you want for the future. If you want to speak with him about your thoughts and feelings, then reach out to him. You may nourish your connection by spending additional time with him in person.

Cookie

February 13, 2020 at 5:50 pm

I had a dream last night about a guy I fell in love with when I was 16 (I’m now 19) whatever we had only lasted 3 months and it was the most in love I’d ever been. In the dream I was having lunch with some people I didn’t even know, but I seemed to talk to. He literally came out of nowhere and tried to sit near me but I moved to the far end of the table. We ended up having a small discussion and I decided it was time to resolve it. I dragged him into an empty hall and he just hugged me tightly Andre asked me why I left him and told me he missed me. It was strange behavior coming from him but I still hugged him and told him I missed him too and that I was sorry for leaving. The dream ends with me feeling sad but him telling me “we can talk about this soon”. I don’t know what to think of this seeing as I really do miss him and the dream made me realize it.

February 13, 2020 at 7:57 pm

You said that this relationship was the relationship that you felt the most love in, so it seems reasonable to assume that this dream happened because you need some extra love and support. While you may actually miss the love and support you get from him, it is just as likely that you just want more love and support from anyone–not necessarily him.

Azraq

February 11, 2020 at 1:58 am

This guy who I had a crush with, turned to be my closest friends in the classroom but all of the sudden he blocked me in social media and stopped talking to me irl too.. I feel like it doesnt hurt at all but only disappointed to let myself fall in his trap so can he takes advantage of me (studying for exams). I havent tried to talk to him after he did that. Now I dream about him everyday and its annoying because I wake up and realize that sweet meeting (sometimes romantic) is just a dream, its annoying because Im dreaming suh things of him while I’m rejected irl by him.. makes me feel pathetic about myself.

February 11, 2020 at 11:18 pm

Unfortunately, just about everyone goes through this. Even though he rejected you, a part of you misses being with him and enjoyed having as a part of your life. Because of this, you keep having these dreams. It may take a few weeks or months, but these dreams will eventually become less frequent and stop bothering you so much.

Azraq

February 13, 2020 at 4:40 pm

Thank you. As much as I hate it, I deny the fact that I miss that part of us hanging out and having fun.. the past two days I didnt dream about him thankfully but I’ll just let it stop by itself. And thank you very much again for your reply.

February 13, 2020 at 7:34 pm

You’re welcome–I hope that everything works out for you. Good luck!

Kendra

February 10, 2020 at 3:26 am

I had a dream that me and my crush who I never had a real conversation with where in the store I work talking and laughing and I really enjoyed it until I woke up and realized it was a dream

Kendra

February 10, 2020 at 3:30 am

In the dream ^^ I was walking away with him and my boss told me to get back to work

February 10, 2020 at 7:28 pm

Perhaps this just shows that your subconscious mind is afraid that it isn’t actually possible to be with your crush. Thankfully, the dream only reflects what is going on in your subconscious mind and not what can or will actually happen in your waking life.

February 10, 2020 at 7:24 pm

The dream occurred because you like your crush and you want them to like you back. You wish that you could talk to them in real life, so you dreamed that you were able to do so. Whether you can do this in real life or not depends on you!

Donya

February 8, 2020 at 10:13 pm

I somehow broke up with my boyfriend two months ago because he did’t want to make our relationship serious . He hasn’t contacted me since. Recently I had a dream in which we were going somewhere (there were lots of people) but in the middle he stayed back to do something and I had to continue alone. However I reached a place where there was no coming back. I remember calling and looking for him but he was not among the people, So I had to come back and lastly I found him in an dark small wardrobe. He seemed lonely. In my dream it seemed as if he had left me back for some reason…Does it mean I have to go back to him? Or is it my mind playing with me?

February 9, 2020 at 10:16 am

It sounds like your mind is trying to coming to terms with how the relationship ended. You can’t find him on the dream because he disappeared from your waking life. He is lonely when you find him the dream because a part of you may miss him and feel lonely as well. The dream only shows your subconscious feelings, so there is no way to know from just a dream what you can or should do in your waking life.

Sam

February 8, 2020 at 4:18 pm

I had a dream that I broke into a building with all of my coworkers and we had to run up several floors so we used an elevator and when the elevator door opened Kylo Ren from the new starwars movies was there and he was the bad guy, a guy I knew of in college was there but he was also the evil minion sidekick but he was really more comic relief than anything. My coworkers and I ran past them and unplugged all of their computers in their office and then kylo force threw me down a stairwell.

What does this mean?

February 9, 2020 at 9:28 pm

The dream seems to show that you feel as if you are a part of a team with your co-workers and feel like you belong with them. The presence of Kylo Ren and some of the circumstances in the dream seems heavily influenced by watching Star Wars, so there is a decent chance that the actual actions in the film are mostly a result of watching Star Wars, so I wouldn’t read too much into it.

Brandi

February 6, 2020 at 7:35 pm

I dated a guy for a couple months, but I ended because he was very inconsistent with his feelings, and I got tired of going back and fourth. It’s been about 3months since I’ve seen or talk to him. But for the past two nights in a row I dream that we are dating again. I did like him and started to really care for him, and he claimed he felt the same but his inconsistency showed otherwise So why do I dream about him? His inconsistency and mixed emotions was so bad I completely blocked him from calling or texting me.

February 7, 2020 at 9:41 pm

You can love someone and be attracted to them without being with them. In this case, it sounds like you made the right choice about not being with him since he wasn’t the kind of person that you needed to find. As for the dream, the dream probably occurred because there were good things that you liked about him that you wish you could have in your life right now.

Fyra R.

February 4, 2020 at 2:17 pm

I have a dream about my boyfriend. We are in a complicated relationship right now. We have no communication for about 1 month now. My dream is that one time he called me and I asked him why he had not contacted me for a month and then he told me that he just want to clear his mind and if he just want to know if he really loves me. And suddenly, we are in a place where we are happy. Clearly I miss him. But what does my dream means?

February 5, 2020 at 3:04 pm

The dream occurred because you wish that he would reach out to you and talk to you in your waking life. Your subconscious created this dream because it is what you want to happen, not because this is what will happen. If your boyfriend hasn’t talked to you at all for a month, then there is a good chance that he is already your ex-boyfriend. To find out for sure, you can always reach out to him and see what he says. Good luck!

Anna

February 18, 2020 at 7:30 pm

I’ve been having dreams about someone I briefly dated 7 months ago for a long time. At least 3 nights of the week, I see him in my dreams but the thing is, I didn’t even know him that well and we were never even like officially together. Is it because I’m missing closure of something?

February 26, 2020 at 10:52 am

He may have appeared because your subconscious mind wants closure, or he may have appeared because your mind finally has the distance it needs to safely process those feelings and the entire relationship. It is also entirely possible that you just miss some feeling he represented like affection or romance, so your subconscious mind made you dream about him.

James

February 3, 2020 at 1:37 pm

What does it mean to dream about someone and they acknowledge it’s a dream? For example I had a dream about a zombie apocalypse and haven’t watched any zombie movies or tv shows in months before that dream and my former friend came in my dream and said “When we wake up I need to tell you something important.”

February 3, 2020 at 7:22 pm

You are interested in understanding the purpose of your friend’s statement. Since you had this dream, you may as well reach out to your friend. Speak with them about your thoughts and feelings, and give them an opportunity to share themselves with you as well. This will help the two of you navigate your relationship at this time.

Mona

February 1, 2020 at 11:33 am

Me and my ex boyfriend started a relationship right when I was about to leave for college to a city that was about two hour drive away. Everything was good and we meet multiple times but around 3 months after he said that we need to end out relationship. We ended things on good terms but I’ve been struggling for the past 3 months to get over it but it’s just been really hard. I Had a dream that I saw him in front of his house but he was kinda mad that he saw me and asked me to leave. Then we attended a funeral together but we kept ignoring each other in a way. Now I’m really confused about what this means…

February 1, 2020 at 6:02 pm

Death often represents a transformation. Most likely, the funeral in the dream represents the fact that your relationship has transformed. It sounds like your relationship ended primarily because your boyfriend couldn’t handle a long-distance relationship. Once you are done with your degree, it is always possible that you two will be able to have another chance at getting everything to work out. Good luck!

Cidnia White

January 29, 2020 at 5:56 pm

Recently I broke up with my boyfriend because things was getting to complicated. I was always in control and I felt like the relationship was one-sided. We decide to stay friends, but even our friendship was coming to an end either because of his actions or mines. I keep pushing him away when im literally trying not to. Recently in my dream, me and him was communicating and we seem fine with each other, but in reality he has stop talking to me and avoid to see me. What does this dream mean? Well we ever communicate again?

February 3, 2020 at 11:42 pm

You made the decision to end your relationship with your partner. You are aware that this relationship is no longer viable. Determine what you want for your future without him, and focus your emotional energy elsewhere. Sharing your kindness and compassion will bring you bring you many benefits.

Madison Hall

January 28, 2020 at 11:46 am

Recently, I’ve been struggling in the relationship I’m in. I’m not sure if I want to be with this person anymore. And the past few months, I’ve been remembering an ex i was with 2 years ago. We got into a relationship after I had gotten out of a really abusive one and I was never fully healed from it. The relationship was fantastic but my mental health was so bad when he and I were together which is why we broke up because I wasn’t in a good state of mind to be with him. Last night, I had a dream where I sat down with my ex and told him how I’ve become better with my mental health, how much I miss him, and that I still love him. Unfortunately, before the dream finished, I woke up to a phone call. I don’t know what this means and I’m really nervous. Please help me.

January 28, 2020 at 9:52 pm

You are concerned about the future of your relationship, which likely means that you are uncertain about what you feel is viable and acceptable. Speak with your partner about your thoughts and feelings, and determine what you should do for your future together.

Sincerely in love

January 29, 2020 at 1:03 am

I keep having seet dreams of my first love and myself. He is married now and is forbidden to even speak to me. I still love him sincerely and I know he loves me my I just want a conversation in real life but I keep having sweet loving dreams of him. Is that an indication that we may get back together??

January 29, 2020 at 4:25 pm

The dreams just show how you feel about him, and they don’t show his own feelings at all. Since he isn’t allowed to talk to you and is married, it is unlikely he plans on getting back together with you. It is normal to have these kinds of dreams about a first love because your subconscious wants an answer to all of the “what-ifs” of what could have been. Fixating on the past and the what-ifs will only stop you from living your life to the fullest and finding a true love of your own. The dreams happen because of the what-ifs and because you want love; they don’t reflect at all on what the first love is feeling.

Artgat

January 28, 2020 at 3:24 am

I dreamed about an old friend whom I no longer see and who now actually resents me. She went to a lot of trouble to engage my attention in this dream and set up some entertainment to keep me interested. She seemed to want to reconnect with me.

January 28, 2020 at 10:04 pm

In your waking life, you are aware that this person doesn’t want to maintain a relationship with you. Your dreams, however, indicate that you may be considering speaking your ex friend again. Determine what you feel is appropriate.

Cidnia White

January 29, 2020 at 5:49 pm

Just recently I broke up with my boyfriend because things was getting to complicated and I feel like the relationship was one-sided. I was always in control and I felt like I control him too much and made him seclude himself from me because he said he don’t know how to make us happy. We decide to stay friends, but even our friendship was coming to an end either because of his actions or mines. Recently i had a dream that he was in. In the dream we was communicating and seem fine with each other, but im reality he had stop talking to me and avoid seeing me. What does this dream suppose to mean?

February 3, 2020 at 11:49 pm

Aayssa Ortiz

January 26, 2020 at 8:28 am

I had a dream of an ex boyfriend of mine from a different city. When I was in middle school acting up, my parents sent me to live with my grandma and put me in school there. That’s where I met him. The only thing I really “miss about him is that he was really good looking and a good kisser lol. Inever got the chance to go on any dates or get closer to him.. So now i am HAPPILY married with 3 kids.. the dream I had was that he came from out of town and we spent time together went on dates and well basically cheated on my husband. (I was still married and had kids in my dream) At the end of my dream he was going back home in a plane. I so desperately wanted to go with him and chased him down but he left before I got to him.. I woke up confused s to why I’m even dreaming of him and why I would cheat on my husband in the first place because like I said I’m happily married and my husband is also very good looking and good in bed. Any insight?

January 26, 2020 at 7:52 pm

You are happily married and your dream was not a reflection of your desires. Simply allow this thoughts of this person from your fast to fade. Focus your emotional energy on your partner, as this will help you nourish your partnership.

Averina

January 23, 2020 at 3:11 pm

I have a guy bestfriend which we we’re seatmates at school and we often used to do daft things everyday together that made us both happy but when christmas vacation was over and we came back to school, he started distancing himself from me, i don’t know the reason why that he’s acting like that but I didn’t have the guts to ask him why because I knew that he might just ignore me again and now we’re now only ignoring our own existence at school, and I dreamed of him recently and he appeared in my dream, so in my dream I was competing on a singing contest and I won and the moment I got awarded he back hugged me and stated ‘i missed you and congratulations, I’m proud of you’ then he breaks the hug and walked away again and ignored my existence…

January 23, 2020 at 3:37 pm

The dream represents your own feelings and what you wish would happen. Unless you already know how someone else would feel, it is impossible for a dream to show what their feelings are–although you can always hope he misses you, too!

Shaura

January 23, 2020 at 4:41 am

I often dream about my “ex” almost every night, we haven’t talked in some months and I don’t plan on saying anything to her. But in my dreams it’s like I search for her and when I find her or she’s just there I try to work something out hoping we can spark up a feeling again. Every time it gets to that point, she runs off to some other person, like she never wanted to be with me. It’s crazy how one thinks. She’s not on my mind daily, so what does that even mean ?!

January 24, 2020 at 11:41 am

Your dreams are reflections of your previous emotional relationship with your ex. Within your dreams, she has shown that she is not interested in maintaining a relationship with you. This may be a reflection of your knowledge that your relationship has concluded. Focus your emotional energy elsewhere.

Eshaune

January 22, 2020 at 8:27 pm

So I’ve been praying and asking god to send me somebody I can trust, thats god fearing, because I need somebody to talk to. And a woman I know popped up in my dream. I dont remember the dream what happened but the moment before I opened my eyes I seen her. I know her and she use to talk to me teaching me and helping me with my attitude. I was connected to her because I love her heart and she’s genuine. But I dont know what this means.

January 24, 2020 at 11:45 am

It is possible that this person will appear in your life in the future. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy toward you.

Ibete

January 21, 2020 at 10:03 am

I had a dream about my crush and I sitting by a fire on the beach. Then it flashed to me being in my car leaving, and as I look in front of me, he is talking to another girl who happens to be wearing scrubs (mind you I am a medical assistant student but I have a problem of starting something and never finishing). It was so weird bc I was driving but not driving, if that makes sense, it was as if something else was driving me away and I was crying so hard bc I love him so much. I want him to be mine. I woke up and I thought to myself, what if the girl in scrubs was actually me and I could have him if I get my shit together. But idk what do you think?

January 21, 2020 at 6:11 pm

Your interpretation definitely sounds possible. The dream may have also happened because you like your crush, but you are still not certain about how he feels about you and if you could actually be together in real life.

Antonia

January 19, 2020 at 6:41 am

I haven’t necessarily been dreaming about an “ex” just a guy I’ve been speaking to for a month. We cut ties almost for almost a week now. And the first dream I’ve had about him, was him and I hanging out with one of his friends and the friend suddenly said to me, “You’re a good girl, I can tell.” When he said this he was referring it to me being with his friend. The second time, was literally last night and we were relaxing at my house and enjoying each other’s presence like always. I don’t want to hit him up because I’m not quite sure what the dreams mean, and if he even misses me as much as I do. But I do think it’s a possibility that the dreams may mean that he misses me, or at least thinks of me. At the same time, I don’t want to be gullible.

January 20, 2020 at 12:47 pm

Your dreams are indications of your thoughts about this person. The two of you cut ties a week ago, so it is certain that this relationship is not viable. If he reaches out to the future, then speak with him about your thoughts and feelings at that time.

Lisam0129

January 16, 2020 at 9:32 am

I had a dream about my ex ! And been dreaming about him since we broke up

January 17, 2020 at 1:31 pm

It is completely natural to dream about an ex after a breakup. Your subconscious mind is trying to come to terms with the breakup, so it makes sense that he’d appear in your dreams. In addition, you still have memories of being together, so it makes sense that he’d appear in your dreams from time to time anyways.