Is Someone Missing You If You Dream About Them?

By on May 9, 2018

When you dream about a specific person in your dream, it is common to apply whatever happened in the dream, into a ‘real life’ setting. For example, if you were to break up with your boyfriend and then dream about getting back with him, it would be easy to believe that getting back with him is the right thing to do … Except, that isn’t always the case.

Dreams are presented to us in code and symbols, which we then must decipher ourselves. One person may have a dream that means one thing to them, but the very same dream could mean something entirely different to someone else. Not only that, dreams rarely mean what they’re actually showing you.

There is an old saying that goes something along the lines of:

“When you dream about someone, it means they are missing you.”

Although a nice sentiment, it isn’t exactly a true one. There is a chance that the person you have just dreamed about DOES miss you, but there’s a bigger chance that the person is a reflection of something in your own life. I had a dream about Tom Hardy last night, but he doesn’t even know that I exist, so there’s no way that he could miss my presence.

Is Someone Missing You If You Dream About Them 1

Dreaming of someone in particular, such as a friend or a relative, could be your mind’s way of saying that there’s something you need to see or understand. Perhaps you aren’t getting the bigger picture about that person, or there’s something in your mind that just doesn’t work out right. Maybe you think that your aunt may have been acting weird when you saw her last week? A dream about her that then follows on from that meeting and realisation could be a sign that you know something is wrong, but haven’t yet addressed it … but need to. Your mind is telling you that something isn’t quite finished or right yet.

If you were to dream about friends that you had at school, it could be because they miss you, or that you miss them. Or, more likely, that you miss a part of that time. Mortgages, marriages, medications … Adult life is tough and with so many daily obstacles. If you’ve been having a hard time, dreaming about old school friends is probably your mind’s way of saying that you miss that time, not specifically the people of that time.

Let’s say that you dream about your boss. Your boss probably doesn’t miss you when you are not at the office. No boss likes their employees that much (or vice versa). What it could mean, on the other hand, is that you have a cross to bear with your boss, or that you are missing something boss-like in yourself. Maybe you need to work on your confidence levels to finally get that promotion you’ve been trying to get for a number of years? Maybe you could take a peek at your air of authority and see if it would be better suited to a higher job role?

If your boss is constantly stripping you down and making you feel uncomfortable or sad in your dream, there’s a chance that you’re having a problem with authority itself right now. Maybe you don’t agree with everything your boss has had to say lately, or think that a project would work better if done your way, rather than theirs?

It might be time to face the beast or learn how to live with it a little better. Your dreams are often a side effect of what you are already feeling — your current emotions and pent-up frustrations. The only way to let those go is to deal with them. Ask why you keep getting passed over for that big promotion, or speak to your boss about your new and innovative ideas. Sitting down and waiting for something to happen isn’t the best course of action. Sadly, not all good things don’t come to those who wait.

If you dream about an ex, don’t go running back there. That’s not always what your dreams mean, even if that’s exactly what they portray. Look what happens in the dream — when you get back together, do you live your happily ever after? Or are things exactly the same as they were before. That could be your mind’s way of telling you that nothing will change if you get back together — you already know that, so by going against that, you’re going against yourself.

Is Someone Missing You If You Dream About Them 2

It’s hard to let go of someone that you really care about, especially when all you do is dream that they miss you. Sadly, dreaming about someone doesn’t always mean that they do miss you. It’s usually a sign that you need to work on something within yourself.

Anonymous

March 18, 2020 at 3:02 pm

I dreamed about going out with a friend and I’m not really sure if I have feelings for him. I dreamed that we went out for dinner and ate icecream. We talked about stuff but I don’t remember it. All I remember is that he said “You’re the type of girl I want. Someone who is honest and sweet.”

Anonymous

March 18, 2020 at 3:03 pm

What does this mean? Does it mean I like him??

March 18, 2020 at 8:28 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. It is possible that he has appeared in your dream because of your feelings for him. Make a decision about what you want for the future of your relationship, and then take whatever action that you feel is appropriate. Nourish your relationship by spending additional time together in person.

March 18, 2020 at 8:28 pm

Sienna

March 18, 2020 at 3:56 am

So , 3 years before I used to have a crush on a boy , it was like I “loved him” but irl I was just addicted I guess. Then I got in a relationship with my actual boyfriend, we have been dating for 3 years , so I really lost my contacts with my ex crush and haven’t heard of him since then . From time to time I keep seeing him in my dreams , not that I’m interested in him , but he’s on me. I remember one time he wanted to kiss me and on my mind those past years that was what I had been dying for but at the moment I called out my boyfriends name and took a step behind . (I keep seeing messed stuff) today I saw him , in a class, which represents the fact that I was on the same class as him , and when I was leaning to catch something he kissed me on the cheek , and I could feel it was full of love , and in irl he was always this type of boy , u know the most popular one , the one that did what he wanted ignoring his ego but also mess with girls feelings for fun which is why I was not sure if he liked me back , back then ecc , which my boyfriend is not …but the thing that messed me was the fact that i liked it when he kissed me … (excuse my English ,it’s not my first language)

March 19, 2020 at 9:18 pm

You liked your crush intensely and for a long time. It only makes sense that you might dream about him from time to time. Most likely, these dreams are just a throwback to the past and don’t reflect at all on your current relationship with your boyfriend.

Jboog

March 17, 2020 at 8:34 am

I had a dream that my ex-boyfriend (who I had a tumultuous relationship with – lying, cheating, emotionally withholding) was describing how to draw me to someone in very sweet and flattering ways. Only until recently I have had a few dreams about him and it’s usually him being active and me as a viewer but not actually engaging with him. Any ideas what this could mean for me now… 5 years later?

March 17, 2020 at 8:50 pm

Since you had a difficult relationship with him, your subconscious mind may not have felt comfortable with approaching the subject for years afterward. Now, your subconscious may finally feel safe enough to resolve the memory of that relationship in your mind.

Mevrox

March 16, 2020 at 4:42 am

I had a dream that my current boyfriend went missing and people were asking me about it the whole entire time. What could this mean?

March 16, 2020 at 3:55 pm

When someone is missing within a dream, it may indicate that there has been a change in a relationship. This doesn’t indicate that something bad happened, but rather that there may be an uncertainty at this time. If your relationship is healthy and secure, then allow the negative aspects of this dream to fade. Nourish your relationship with your partner by spending additional time together in person.

Scott

March 15, 2020 at 8:55 am

I had a dream last night that I was with my ex and her friends sat on the sofa watching TV. Me and my ex were sat close together and I realised we were lightly holding eachothers fingers and thought this could be us getting back together. I was really happy… Does this just mean I want to get back with her or could there be another meaning?

March 15, 2020 at 12:33 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your previous emotional connection with your ex. This doesn’t mean that the two of you should get back together. Take this time for introspection, as this will help you understand what would be best for your future. If you want to reach out to you ex, then do so only if you feel that it would be beneficial for each of you.

jess

March 15, 2020 at 6:35 am

soo i had a dream that me and my friend were just having a great time togheter and he randomly said “i miss you”. what does that mean?

March 15, 2020 at 1:07 pm

His statement within your dream is a reflection of your thoughts regarding your relationship. It is certainly possible that he misses you, and it is clear that you are thinking about him. Take this time to determine what you want for the future of your relationship. If you want to share your feelings with him, then do so.

Anonymous One

March 15, 2020 at 3:36 am

Twice in the same night I had a dream that I was in my ex boyfriends house. He was kissing me and trying to be passionate/sexual with me.
    We have recently split because I fell pregnant, at the start he wanted the baby but then his parents found out and he pushed me away because they didn’t agree with it and he was trying to please them.

March 15, 2020 at 1:10 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your previous emotional connection with him. However, it seems that he ended your relationship because you became pregnant. His parents are clearly neglectful people, so it may be best for you to avoid that family. Unless it is possible to maintain a relationship with him without the abusive influences of his parents, then you should avoid that relationship.

Sierra

March 14, 2020 at 9:24 pm

I keep having dreams about an old crush the other dreams I had he acknowledged me and this last one where like I was like a ghost or something but anyway I keep dreaming of him and things didn’t end well. I had a major crush on him and he knew and tbh he played with my feelings. The things that bothers me the most is the fact in the dreams where we communicate he showed interest in me and it was disturbing and confusing.

March 15, 2020 at 1:52 pm

Your dreams are reflections of your social and emotional connection with your old crush. It is possible that there is something in your life that caused you to think about him. He may be thinking about you as well. Take this time to consider what you want for your future. If you think that it would be beneficial to reach out to him, then do so.

bobbythebuilder

March 6, 2020 at 1:03 pm

I had a dream about some guy. we were friends with benefits both of us wanted to date but just didn’t want to ruin the friendship if something happened. anyways we had a massive fight and i tried to resolve it with him but he just keeps listening to what others say. like oh she is lying don’t be friends with her again. I haven’t seen him in a while but i had a dream about him. I can’t remember the full dream but i just remember texting him and meeting up with him and my boyfriend.

March 12, 2020 at 9:33 pm

The dream may have just been because of all the memories you have of him, or you may have had the dream because you were never able to completely resolve your feelings afterward. It is also possible that the dream occurred because you want to have romance in your life now, so your subconscious mind pulled a memory of a recent romance to play that role.

Corinne

March 5, 2020 at 3:53 pm

i had a dream last night that my crush was picked up from school early and got a unicorn tattoo? he told me about his tattoo through text, and then i teased him. what and why?

March 12, 2020 at 9:42 pm

Perhaps you just feel like your crush is stepping outside the bounds of normal, day-to-day life. It is also possible that you just wish that your crush would share more of his secrets and interests with you, so you dreamed that he told you about a tattoo.

Diana Huff

March 1, 2020 at 9:25 am

I have been having dreams about my ex talking and falling in love again. At school he says we are friends but he never talks to me any more. My friend say that he doesn’t miss me but i see stress in his eyes, but when he is with his new girlfriend he is happy.

March 3, 2020 at 3:42 pm

Whether he misses you or not, he has definitely moved on. If he seems happy with his girlfriend, you can basically guarantee that it’s because he is. Your dreams are only happening because you miss the feeling of being in love and being loved by someone. Once you find someone new to be with, the dream guy will most likely change from the image of your ex to someone new. It takes time to heal from a breakup like this, but it will happen.

Alia

February 28, 2020 at 4:39 am

I broke up with my boyfriend two months ago and after that I had dreams of us getting back together, we talked at school and showed more affection towards each other, whenever I wake up I feel upset it’s just a dream. I also had some other dreams of me getting into a coma or committing suicide after the breakup a few weeks after. I don’t know what it means at all.. During the first dream he went up to me to talk and things just happened after that. I personally think that I suicided and got into a coma because of how lonely and sad I felt when we broke up. So what’s happening? Is this just a coincidence?

Alia

February 28, 2020 at 2:43 pm

He also started to ignore me at school, and when I wanted to at least be friends he always stayed quiet about it.. What’s wrong?

February 28, 2020 at 4:36 pm

Some people can’t handle being friends with a crush. If this is the case, there’s nothing wrong with that. His heart is trying to get over the breakup, and he may still bear some negative feelings about the breakup. Because of that, I wouldn’t worry about it. If he doesn’t want to be friends, he doesn’t have to. All you can do is accept his feelings and move on. Good luck!

Yeona

March 18, 2020 at 8:03 pm

I had texted my ex a few times since we’re ok friends now, about how he reacted when we broke up. I know it’s a stupid decision but I was just curious and wasn’t thinking straight. He never replied to me but I had a dream where he told me how he reacted. I told him how I reacted too. Also, I had another dream where we went on a date to go ice skating and we were still together, I had hit my head and my appearance changed a month later in the hospital. He lost feelings for me and my closest friend lost interest in being friends too, as soon as I went back to school everything was different. The uniform was different, my friends personalities and appearances were different too, even he was different. He had a playboy look to him, his hairstyle was more different and he was like the opposite of his usual self. He hanged around the girls he charmed everyday and payed little attention to me. At some point over the past days I’ve had this dream it got even worse and worse. At the end of the dream he ended up playing me and then I guess I woke up. I don’t know where this dream came from at all. :/

March 18, 2020 at 8:17 pm

It seems that your dream is a reflection of various aspects of your relationship with your ex. The appearance of him within your dream may be colored by your feelings regarding the end of your relationship. In your waking life, you should make a decision about whatever you feel is appropriate for the future. If you want to reach out to him, then do so.

February 28, 2020 at 4:34 pm

I think your interpretation is probably correct. You most likely had this dream because you felt like a part of you was dying to make way for all of the changes that were happening in your life. The more recent dreams where you are together again are probably happening because a part of your subconscious mind misses being with him and wishes that you were still together. A dream can only show what is going on in your own subconscious mind, so it is impossible for this dream to show what your ex-boyfriend is thinking and feeling.

Cindy Lou Who

February 22, 2020 at 10:25 am

This guy had caught my attention, he is someone I haven’t seen much before, until now with schedule changes going on. Yes, perhaps a little crush has developed and I had been thinking of approaching him to actually talk and get to know him, but the night I decide to, I have a dream where one of his friends shows me a screen recording/screenshot of him kissing a boy who is drinking a beer, it didn’t seem like fun drunk kissing (they seemed very sober), it looked passionate and meaningful. The setting in which his friend showed me this was in our school gym (everyone in the gym was changed and ready for the gym period which is funny because I have the same gym period as him just different teacher so I do see him during gym). Once I finished seeing that I just looked down and saw him in the distance he looked kind of ashamed and had an awkward look on his face and that was the end of my dream. Now when I see him at school i try not to pay much attention to him so he doesn’t feel uncomfortable around me. I don’t want to assume he is a homosexual because of my dream, I mean I barely know the guy, I don’t even talk to him, I’ve just seen him in my new class. But there’s always the what if’s just in the back of my mind keeping me from getting close to him. I don’t want to get close to him with these feelings already there and take his friendship and kindness the wrong way and make things uncomfortable for the both of us. Also I have no problem with homosexuality I accept everyone and any love is beautiful! it’s just confusing since this is the guy I like and never have I had a dream like this.

February 25, 2020 at 4:34 pm

It would be beneficial for you to not make any assumptions based on this dream. It seems that you are interested in this person, so take this time to determine what you want for the future. If you want to speak with him about your thoughts and feelings, then reach out to him. You may nourish your connection by spending additional time with him in person.

Cookie

February 13, 2020 at 5:50 pm

I had a dream last night about a guy I fell in love with when I was 16 (I’m now 19) whatever we had only lasted 3 months and it was the most in love I’d ever been. In the dream I was having lunch with some people I didn’t even know, but I seemed to talk to. He literally came out of nowhere and tried to sit near me but I moved to the far end of the table. We ended up having a small discussion and I decided it was time to resolve it. I dragged him into an empty hall and he just hugged me tightly Andre asked me why I left him and told me he missed me. It was strange behavior coming from him but I still hugged him and told him I missed him too and that I was sorry for leaving. The dream ends with me feeling sad but him telling me “we can talk about this soon”. I don’t know what to think of this seeing as I really do miss him and the dream made me realize it.

February 13, 2020 at 7:57 pm

You said that this relationship was the relationship that you felt the most love in, so it seems reasonable to assume that this dream happened because you need some extra love and support. While you may actually miss the love and support you get from him, it is just as likely that you just want more love and support from anyone–not necessarily him.

Azraq

February 11, 2020 at 1:58 am

This guy who I had a crush with, turned to be my closest friends in the classroom but all of the sudden he blocked me in social media and stopped talking to me irl too.. I feel like it doesnt hurt at all but only disappointed to let myself fall in his trap so can he takes advantage of me (studying for exams). I havent tried to talk to him after he did that. Now I dream about him everyday and its annoying because I wake up and realize that sweet meeting (sometimes romantic) is just a dream, its annoying because Im dreaming suh things of him while I’m rejected irl by him.. makes me feel pathetic about myself.

February 11, 2020 at 11:18 pm

Unfortunately, just about everyone goes through this. Even though he rejected you, a part of you misses being with him and enjoyed having as a part of your life. Because of this, you keep having these dreams. It may take a few weeks or months, but these dreams will eventually become less frequent and stop bothering you so much.

Azraq

February 13, 2020 at 4:40 pm

Thank you. As much as I hate it, I deny the fact that I miss that part of us hanging out and having fun.. the past two days I didnt dream about him thankfully but I’ll just let it stop by itself. And thank you very much again for your reply.

February 13, 2020 at 7:34 pm

You’re welcome–I hope that everything works out for you. Good luck!

Kendra

February 10, 2020 at 3:26 am

I had a dream that me and my crush who I never had a real conversation with where in the store I work talking and laughing and I really enjoyed it until I woke up and realized it was a dream

Kendra

February 10, 2020 at 3:30 am

In the dream ^^ I was walking away with him and my boss told me to get back to work

February 10, 2020 at 7:28 pm

Perhaps this just shows that your subconscious mind is afraid that it isn’t actually possible to be with your crush. Thankfully, the dream only reflects what is going on in your subconscious mind and not what can or will actually happen in your waking life.

February 10, 2020 at 7:24 pm

The dream occurred because you like your crush and you want them to like you back. You wish that you could talk to them in real life, so you dreamed that you were able to do so. Whether you can do this in real life or not depends on you!

Donya

February 8, 2020 at 10:13 pm

I somehow broke up with my boyfriend two months ago because he did’t want to make our relationship serious . He hasn’t contacted me since. Recently I had a dream in which we were going somewhere (there were lots of people) but in the middle he stayed back to do something and I had to continue alone. However I reached a place where there was no coming back. I remember calling and looking for him but he was not among the people, So I had to come back and lastly I found him in an dark small wardrobe. He seemed lonely. In my dream it seemed as if he had left me back for some reason…Does it mean I have to go back to him? Or is it my mind playing with me?

February 9, 2020 at 10:16 am

It sounds like your mind is trying to coming to terms with how the relationship ended. You can’t find him on the dream because he disappeared from your waking life. He is lonely when you find him the dream because a part of you may miss him and feel lonely as well. The dream only shows your subconscious feelings, so there is no way to know from just a dream what you can or should do in your waking life.

Sam

February 8, 2020 at 4:18 pm

I had a dream that I broke into a building with all of my coworkers and we had to run up several floors so we used an elevator and when the elevator door opened Kylo Ren from the new starwars movies was there and he was the bad guy, a guy I knew of in college was there but he was also the evil minion sidekick but he was really more comic relief than anything. My coworkers and I ran past them and unplugged all of their computers in their office and then kylo force threw me down a stairwell.

What does this mean?

February 9, 2020 at 9:28 pm

The dream seems to show that you feel as if you are a part of a team with your co-workers and feel like you belong with them. The presence of Kylo Ren and some of the circumstances in the dream seems heavily influenced by watching Star Wars, so there is a decent chance that the actual actions in the film are mostly a result of watching Star Wars, so I wouldn’t read too much into it.

Brandi

February 6, 2020 at 7:35 pm

I dated a guy for a couple months, but I ended because he was very inconsistent with his feelings, and I got tired of going back and fourth. It’s been about 3months since I’ve seen or talk to him. But for the past two nights in a row I dream that we are dating again. I did like him and started to really care for him, and he claimed he felt the same but his inconsistency showed otherwise So why do I dream about him? His inconsistency and mixed emotions was so bad I completely blocked him from calling or texting me.

February 7, 2020 at 9:41 pm

You can love someone and be attracted to them without being with them. In this case, it sounds like you made the right choice about not being with him since he wasn’t the kind of person that you needed to find. As for the dream, the dream probably occurred because there were good things that you liked about him that you wish you could have in your life right now.

Fyra R.

February 4, 2020 at 2:17 pm

I have a dream about my boyfriend. We are in a complicated relationship right now. We have no communication for about 1 month now. My dream is that one time he called me and I asked him why he had not contacted me for a month and then he told me that he just want to clear his mind and if he just want to know if he really loves me. And suddenly, we are in a place where we are happy. Clearly I miss him. But what does my dream means?

February 5, 2020 at 3:04 pm

The dream occurred because you wish that he would reach out to you and talk to you in your waking life. Your subconscious created this dream because it is what you want to happen, not because this is what will happen. If your boyfriend hasn’t talked to you at all for a month, then there is a good chance that he is already your ex-boyfriend. To find out for sure, you can always reach out to him and see what he says. Good luck!

Anna

February 18, 2020 at 7:30 pm

I’ve been having dreams about someone I briefly dated 7 months ago for a long time. At least 3 nights of the week, I see him in my dreams but the thing is, I didn’t even know him that well and we were never even like officially together. Is it because I’m missing closure of something?

February 26, 2020 at 10:52 am

He may have appeared because your subconscious mind wants closure, or he may have appeared because your mind finally has the distance it needs to safely process those feelings and the entire relationship. It is also entirely possible that you just miss some feeling he represented like affection or romance, so your subconscious mind made you dream about him.