Is Someone Missing You If You Dream About Them?

By on May 9, 2018

When you dream about a specific person in your dream, it is common to apply whatever happened in the dream, into a ‘real life’ setting. For example, if you were to break up with your boyfriend and then dream about getting back with him, it would be easy to believe that getting back with him is the right thing to do … Except, that isn’t always the case.

Dreams are presented to us in code and symbols, which we then must decipher ourselves. One person may have a dream that means one thing to them, but the very same dream could mean something entirely different to someone else. Not only that, dreams rarely mean what they’re actually showing you.

There is an old saying that goes something along the lines of:

“When you dream about someone, it means they are missing you.”

Although a nice sentiment, it isn’t exactly a true one. There is a chance that the person you have just dreamed about DOES miss you, but there’s a bigger chance that the person is a reflection of something in your own life. I had a dream about Tom Hardy last night, but he doesn’t even know that I exist, so there’s no way that he could miss my presence.

Is Someone Missing You If You Dream About Them 1

Dreaming of someone in particular, such as a friend or a relative, could be your mind’s way of saying that there’s something you need to see or understand. Perhaps you aren’t getting the bigger picture about that person, or there’s something in your mind that just doesn’t work out right. Maybe you think that your aunt may have been acting weird when you saw her last week? A dream about her that then follows on from that meeting and realisation could be a sign that you know something is wrong, but haven’t yet addressed it … but need to. Your mind is telling you that something isn’t quite finished or right yet.

If you were to dream about friends that you had at school, it could be because they miss you, or that you miss them. Or, more likely, that you miss a part of that time. Mortgages, marriages, medications … Adult life is tough and with so many daily obstacles. If you’ve been having a hard time, dreaming about old school friends is probably your mind’s way of saying that you miss that time, not specifically the people of that time.

Let’s say that you dream about your boss. Your boss probably doesn’t miss you when you are not at the office. No boss likes their employees that much (or vice versa). What it could mean, on the other hand, is that you have a cross to bear with your boss, or that you are missing something boss-like in yourself. Maybe you need to work on your confidence levels to finally get that promotion you’ve been trying to get for a number of years? Maybe you could take a peek at your air of authority and see if it would be better suited to a higher job role?

If your boss is constantly stripping you down and making you feel uncomfortable or sad in your dream, there’s a chance that you’re having a problem with authority itself right now. Maybe you don’t agree with everything your boss has had to say lately, or think that a project would work better if done your way, rather than theirs?

It might be time to face the beast or learn how to live with it a little better. Your dreams are often a side effect of what you are already feeling — your current emotions and pent-up frustrations. The only way to let those go is to deal with them. Ask why you keep getting passed over for that big promotion, or speak to your boss about your new and innovative ideas. Sitting down and waiting for something to happen isn’t the best course of action. Sadly, not all good things don’t come to those who wait.

If you dream about an ex, don’t go running back there. That’s not always what your dreams mean, even if that’s exactly what they portray. Look what happens in the dream — when you get back together, do you live your happily ever after? Or are things exactly the same as they were before. That could be your mind’s way of telling you that nothing will change if you get back together — you already know that, so by going against that, you’re going against yourself.

Is Someone Missing You If You Dream About Them 2

It’s hard to let go of someone that you really care about, especially when all you do is dream that they miss you. Sadly, dreaming about someone doesn’t always mean that they do miss you. It’s usually a sign that you need to work on something within yourself.

Anastashia

January 6, 2020 at 10:22 pm

This one is a long one~

So I had a dream a couple years back I remember that I was in one of my classes with someone that I haven’t seen in awhile and we don’t talk anymore now. So I remember me sitting there talking to someone and my still-have-a-crush-on- person looked at me walked up beside me and whispered “hey, can we talk?” I go sure and I look over to my desk and see that I had my backpack sitting there (yes, I do have that backpack now.) so she and I walked out of the classroom and she was getting very emotional she said a lot of things but I can’t really remember but I know the things that she did say was “I still want you in my life.” And I didn’t say anything I looked down and I kinda controlled my dream to see what they were wearing and what I was wearing now I do remember what I was wearing and I have it I just haven’t worn the outfit and they- in the dream was wearing a gray crop top and I’ve seen her wear that before… Then I woke up

January 7, 2020 at 10:22 pm

The dream is a reflection of your own subconscious mind. It seems like your subconscious may miss having her in your life, which is why she came to you in the dream and tried to get you to talk to her and have you as a part of her life again.

Kamryn

January 6, 2020 at 10:15 pm

So this one is a hard one cause their is some history being me and this person (no we never dated)

So we where back in school and I was walking my friend in the front of the school they told me that they missed me and my response to that was “why on earth would you?” Then I woke up. And I’m not sure what this means…can you help me?

January 7, 2020 at 10:24 pm

Perhaps your subconscious is coming to terms with the fact that you miss them, which would explain your response in the dream. The fact that the person originally says that they miss you in the dream seems to indicate that you may have some conflicting feelings about the entire situation.

oof

January 6, 2020 at 9:44 am

i had this dream inside of a dream and both involved my ex in the 1st one we were living a weird life together, there were no people around but we were being chased. As the life in the dream progresses me and my ex start to be really happy, we had a down in the dream but we made it a good thing in the end, we were super happy. But in the 2nd dream she had a boyfriend but this song was playing and she was like singing it to me i guess the song was about missing your ex and letting them know you still think about them but in the end she was kissing her boyfriend while staring at me and smiling. Me and my ex didn’t leave on bad terms she is now back with her ex though it’s been like 2 years since we broke up.

January 6, 2020 at 7:51 pm

Your ex may have appeared because you have memories of her, and perhaps you want to have some kind of romance or intimacy in your waking life. The second dream shows that your subconscious mind accepts that she moves on and this isn’t possible, which is why she is with someone else in that dream.

Maggie Perez

January 5, 2020 at 9:27 am

I keep having this dream where I’m having sex with this guy I like, like hot real good sex. This is going to seem bad but he has a girlfriend and irl we have had sex three times. I also can’t get him out of my mind. What do my dreams and shoot what do my feelings mean?

January 5, 2020 at 9:33 am

When you have sex with someone, it is easy to develop feelings for them because sex produces a biochemical response. He has a girlfriend though, so it is unlikely that he’ll leave her now. The dreams just reflect the current quality of your relationship, so I wouldn’t read too much into them.

Beckma

January 2, 2020 at 9:40 am

Okay so i had this dream , and one specific part of it was when i was facetiming this one guy.. I don’t know him nor do i recognize him but then he said “Reject my brother” so i could think his brother was sending me a confession and the guy facetiming liked me too but i’m on winter break so i didn’t go to school nor do i remember anything from school if i were to put this guy there. And then i said “Noo noo i cant thats rude, don’t do that to your own brother” and idk what he said next but he did this hand motion where he missed me or wanted to be with me and i did the same back… i’m being fr and that i don’t know him nor do i recognize. then a few time later still in my dream MY brother texts me “don’t talk to me anymore :), and then asking me to go to a game/place with someone named Andy? which i don’t know a Andy in my life.. what could this mean??? Honestly the guy i was facetiming was really cute and i might have fell in love ? i kinda miss him now Lol

January 2, 2020 at 3:18 pm

Your subconscious mind most likely created him as a placeholder for the guy you’d like to meet–hopefully, you will meet and fall for a guy like him in real life too!

Lesha

January 1, 2020 at 1:51 pm

I keep having a dream at least 3 times a week about my ex and I talking trying to get things together in see if we can have another relationship together , we’re always spending time with one another then her current gf always pops up but as I’m about to wake up out my dream the gf is gone and me and my ex are by ourselves and carrying on conversations . We talk sometimes but not all the time . She admits to still loving me but I dream of her so much . What does this mean ?

January 2, 2020 at 3:27 pm

It shows you still love her and have many memories of her, but it unfortunately doesn’t show how she feels in real life–only she can tell you how she feels, and it seems like she is still somewhat hesitant about the relationship.

Bree

December 30, 2019 at 10:16 pm

So I recently I had a dream about this boy from my school, Him and I, had a thing we kinda dated for like a month and i would always think about him or dream about him but then i stopped dreaming of the person. I havent seen him in like a week but even when we would see eachother we kinda would ignore eachother. But when him and I stared kinda dating my bestfriend started telling me how he actually had feelings for me but then other times she would tell me hes gonna play me so i didnt know what to believe. So then at first i just started out with ima just play with his feelings like he going to do to me. I said to myself how i wasnt gonna fall for him but i ended up started catching feelings for him. Then i started noticing how i would start getting a lot of hate from other females because of it but i didnt care tbh like i felt happy but then i started having trust issues rumors started and thats when the relationship started going downhill. But then we were slowly started trying to fix this.But then he left me for another girl which honestly i thought she was a real friend but i guess not. I tried not to care but i kinda felt hurt. But then i started talking to other guys to try to move on which it kkinda helped. Crazy thing was he would still try to get my attention, he would flirt with other girls or kiss which i was like wow broo i see how it is. But i ignored it so it was fine, then the next day during PE my bestfriend is like very good friends with him so then we were like walking next to eachother and also my guy friend then she left us to go with him and his friend so i was like okay. Then i saw them talking so i was like i feel like there talking about me so i told my guy friend lets go to them. Then my bestfriend was like i need to tell you something so she started telling me how he was saying how he misses me and could win me back. I was like wow okay. But then more things started happening between us but its way to long to right down. But these past two days I’ve been dreaming about him and i just being together and making out, Which was crazy but what does this mean??

January 1, 2020 at 12:38 pm

The dream just reflects the fact that you once had feelings for him and still remember those feelings. Your subconscious may also be using these dreams to help you experiment with the “what-ifs” of what the relationship could have been like if it had lasted.

Kenrick Koh

December 30, 2019 at 7:19 pm

I was in a dream where a friend of mine said this to me during work – “Do you want to be my boyfriend?”. This girl has been dropping hints that she is interested in me but in real life, by acting cute around me, always calling my name during work, ranting how tired she is and wanting to go home and trying to make a conversation, but all that changed when she asked me out to drink bubble tea with her. At the end of the session, I decided to make my move and suggested going out on a night together for dessert but since then, I have been feeling awkward when I see her or avoid her when she sees me glancing at her. What should I do? An advice or so would be really helpful. Thanks! P.S she also ignores my messages nowadays

January 1, 2020 at 12:42 pm

The dream probably occurred because you feel like she has been interested in dating you in your waking life. It doesn’t mean she actually wants to date you or make a move, so you’ll need to flirt with her or ask her out to see what her real-life feelings are.

Taylor lockhart

December 29, 2019 at 7:29 am

I had at least 3 dreams of my boyfriend. All of them were different situations. One was that he was flirty with other girls and I got mad. And one was where he met my family. What do these mean??

January 2, 2020 at 4:02 pm

You are navigating a relationship with your partner, and you should behave in a manner that is appropriate in regard to his actions during your waking life.

Anonymous 128

December 29, 2019 at 2:24 am

I’ve used to had dreams of my ex before he even confessed to me that he actually likes me last time. And the truth is in my case it was different than the rest. He was a toxic person . He would come back to me like nothing he did wrong and go missing out of a sudden from a fight that he created. And the thing is i always get dreams before he even contacts me again out of nowhere. At the start before he evem confessed to me, i did got dreams of him. And this thing had been going on till now. I always get dreams of him before he tries to contact me again or even if he tries to say something. Like my dreams shows me whats gonna happen before he comes and contacts me. And 2 of my dreams came true. Can you please explain to me what is this about? Because no one can explain to me. I have broke up with him 11 months ago and i still do get dreams of him and some of the dreams after my breakup shows me things like he was trying to chase after me and i’m kinda running away from him and he says ” why are you doing this to me??” And stuff like that… He tried to contact me twice after my breakup and i still gotten dreams before he tried. Please explain to me.even till yesterday i am having dreams of him.

January 2, 2020 at 4:09 pm

He was a toxic person, and the two of you have not spoken in a year. Allow these dreams to fade. Determine what you want for your future without him.

Michelleee

December 28, 2019 at 8:07 am

Last night I dreamt that my ex boyfriend kissed me and we made out for a bit. While we were doing it, I thought, he would never cheat on her, especially not with me. Then suddenly we were on FaceTime or some video call and his current girlfriend was in the background, and it felt so real that I remember thinking, maybe they’re in an open relationship. But he said he would call me later so we could continue and then I woke up. I thought I was over him but I always get these types of dreams when I feel the most confident that I am over him. Idk what to think of it.

January 3, 2020 at 7:57 pm

These dreams are indications of your previous emotional connection with your ex. Allow thoughts of him to face, and focus your emotional energy elsewhere.

Shakaboy

December 27, 2019 at 12:09 am

I had a dream about my ex girlfriend, in the dream I was passing through her house with my younger siblings, when she saw me she started crying and wants me to come to her my siblings felt for her but I ignored her, her mother was sitting at balcony with a stranger my ex and my younger siblings pleaded with me to greet her mother even if I don’t want to talk to my ex girl but I also ignored her mother and walk away.

December 27, 2019 at 10:26 am

You may feel like you ignored your ex-girlfriend or were too harsh to her after your break up. The dream reflects those worries, and it also shows that you may be concerned about how you respond to your siblings and mother as well.

Abby Robinson

December 26, 2019 at 6:20 pm

I had a dream about a long time crush (going on about 6 years), In the dream our mutual friend, was showing me a text message, of him saying that, “I miss (my name).” Then suddenly, he came outta nowhere, or just walked up to us, smiling kinda blushing i guess, then saying i missed you, and im suddenly on his phone, and i start seeing videos of myself, that he saved, im assuming, and he starts smiling and laughing at them, while im kinda embarrassed, and flustered.

Another dream, was basically a really really awkward situation. I was in a group with my friends, and we were talking. And he comes up and just hugs me, a full on lingering, i kinda dont wanna let you go hug, and i hugged back of course, and then as he is standing with me and my friends a long silence occurs, and then my friend says, “this is awkward” and i say “yeah i know” and thats the end of the dream.

December 27, 2019 at 6:46 pm

It is clear that you feel a strong social connection with your crush. It is likely that the feelings are mutual. Make a decision about what you want for your future, and determine what you believe is viable. If you want to maintain a romantic relationship with him, then speak with him about your thoughts and feelings. Give him an opportunity to share himself with you as well.

Abby Robinson

December 27, 2019 at 9:47 pm

Thank you, so much for helping me. I wish we could talk more privately to be honest, but im thankful. I’ve had a long past with him. but,I have i told him, how i felt. And got no response. Dude always has a girlfriend.. and i’ve tried to hangout with him but no avail.. (i didnt know he had a girlfriend when i told him i liked him, and tried to hang out with him). With him, his feelings arent on display, so i dont know what to do. I feel stuck. He tells others something else, but i get something completely different. Recently, he told my friend a different story to what actually happened.. and it was just a tad surprising. His retelling of the story, involves him calling my name, and him tryna tell me he liked me back. but at the time he had a significant other.. so.. idk..i feel like if this happens its gonna be truly a slow burn of a tale.. or it could just fizzle out and never happen..

December 28, 2019 at 12:28 am

It seems that the two of you are interested in each other, though it seems that the two of you are rarely single at the same time. It is appropriate for you to continue to nourish your social relationship with him, but do not attempt to harm his relationship. If he becomes single in the future, then you may want to speak with him about your thoughts and feelings at that time. For now, simply share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life.

Abby Robinson

December 28, 2019 at 4:14 pm

I’ve never tried to harm his relationship,at least not on purpose, because when he did have a relationship, it wasn’t public, not even his friends knew, i surely didnt know, and the mutual friend didnt know, and she was pushing me to do these things. And i’ve always been single.. its more or less him who is never single.

December 28, 2019 at 9:53 pm

Make a decision about what you feel is appropriate. Speak with him about your thoughts and feelings, and give him a chance to share himself with you as well. From there, the two of you can make whatever decision is viable and acceptable.

Eri

December 26, 2019 at 2:41 pm

A friend of mine I had in high school has appeared in my dreams for a very long time. I haven’t seen in in a long time and I don’t even think about him.. I used to like him back then. But now I never think about him. He just appears in my dreams. So it can’t be because I miss him. I’m really curious because he is the only person I dream so often about and I don’t even think about him.

December 27, 2019 at 6:28 pm

It is possible that he is someone who you once felt a deep connection with. He may be thinking about you, and it is possible that the two of you shared a connection. You are not interested in him, and it seems that you have no intention of reaching out to him. Allow your thoughts of him to fade. However, if you dream about him in the future, then address him within the dream regarding his purpose in your dream.

Sarah

December 25, 2019 at 10:02 am

I had a vivid dream of meeting my ex and his new girlfriend and we all got along very well. At the end of the hangout, he said we should do this more often and that he missed me after a long hug. When I woke up I only wished it had taken place in real life!

January 5, 2020 at 9:47 am

The dream seems to show a desire to have your ex in your life as a friend. You may miss having him in your life, even though you accept that he has moved on. Because of this, he appeared in the dream as a friend and with his new girlfriend.

Vincent

December 24, 2019 at 8:33 pm

I usually dream of my best friend who’s a girl back in elementary school,Like twice a month or even once a month but haven’t seen her for many years and I dont think about her or even try to reach out for her. But when am dreaming we’re always close together which is nice, but I don’t know why am dreaming of her.. Please help me out

December 27, 2019 at 7:45 pm

These dreams are likely indications of your previous, close connection. It is possible that she was particularly meaningful to you at that time. She may be thinking about you as well. If you are still in communication with her, then you may want to reach out to her. If not, then allow these dreams to fade. It is possible that she is a placeholder for someone else, so ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life.

Geo

December 24, 2019 at 8:17 pm

A couple times I have a dream where I head into school and am missing my friend Chris an lot but I’m always stopped by someone or something before I can see him I know I have a crush on him if that helps but do you have any ideas on why I’m having this dream

December 27, 2019 at 7:28 pm

You have strong feelings for your friend. You have a crush on him, and it is possible that he has similar feelings for you. Your inability to see him in your dream could be a sign that you feel that you are missing him in your waking life. Make a decision about what you want for the future of this relationship. Spend additional time with him in person, as this will nourish your relationship.

Gabbi

December 21, 2019 at 8:00 am

I have a dream of when I close to my crush she’s uncomfortable to me and I think she avoided me and I was shocked that my crush and my classmates there holding hands and I was try to talk to my crush but she didn’t pay me attention

December 22, 2019 at 10:19 pm

This dream may be an indication of your concerns regarding the feelings of your crush toward you. If you are aware that your crush is not interested in you in your waking life, then allow thoughts of her to fade. If she seems to be interested in maintaining a relationship with you, then speak with her about your thoughts and feelings. Nourish this relationship by spending additional time with her in person. Have a great day, Gabbi!

Jordyn

December 21, 2019 at 12:49 am

I had a few dreams about a pet I lost recently (a few months ago). I don’t think she’s dead, however, she might be. I really love her, and I miss her all the time. She got out of the house and into the woods and hasn’t come back. I dream about her almost every night. And I thought, because of this rumor it could mean that she’s missing me. So I’m trying to find some answers.

December 22, 2019 at 10:20 pm

Your dreams are reflections of your emotional connection with your pet. It is possible that your pet has passed, and it is possible that you pet is living in the woods. It is not uncommon for pets to find new homes after they have become lost. It is certain that the two of you loved each other, so allow these feelings to guide you in a positive direction. Have a great day, Jordyn!

Cayenne

December 20, 2019 at 8:54 pm

Well I once had a dream that a guy from school that I’m not to fond of was laughing while water was poring in on his side and me and my family were trapped. But after I finally found a way out I was making sure no one else got hurt cause there were lots of people that I don’t know. But it was like I was on a feild trip and had to run and find my teacher once I did. All I could think was “where’s _____ is he okay” then I got woken up.

December 22, 2019 at 10:23 pm

You are not fond of this person. However, you have had a dream of him. This may be due to various social reasons. It is possible that you are interested in nourishing a relationship with him. Perhaps you want to maintain a romantic relationship with someone, and this person was simply a placeholder for someone else. Make a decision about what you want for your future, and take appropriate action. Have a great day, Cayenne!