If You Had a Dream of Someone, Is It Because They Think of You?

By on October 6, 2018

When you have a dream about someone out of the blue, you will most likely wake up thinking “why”. And why wouldn’t you? Having a dream about someone can be completely random and leave you feeling stumped. Luckily there’s a few different reasons why you may be dreaming about someone in particular.

They Are Thinking About You

A lot of people believe that when you have a dream about someone, they are in fact thinking about you. However, there is technically no scientific evidence to back this up.

Keep this in mind, though: just because it hasn’t been researched in depth and we don’t have solid evidence this is what your dream means, doesn’t make it untrue. In fact there are plenty instances in which someone ended up dreaming about someone while they were thinking of them. Coincidence? Maybe. But you can certainly consider this a possible reason for dreaming about this certain someone.

You See Them Often

Dreams are typically just a reflection of our day-to-day lives, our minds recurring places, people, and events that have happened recently. If you notice that you tend to see the person in your dream on a regular basis, they may have popped up for literally no reason at all.

While this solution to discovering what your dream means is rather basic, it can take the edge off if you find that you’re dreaming about someone who you’re not particularly close or fond of.

They Represent a Feeling

When you have a dream about someone in particular, it could be that they are representing a feeling that you have. What you need to do is take a deeper look at the person in your dream. What type of feelings did they bring to the table?

For instance, if you are having a dream about an ex-boyfriend that you despise, then you may just be having some pent up anger in your life that cam through in the representation of a person you can’t stand.

On the other hand, if you’re dreaming about someone who is successful in life and you look up to them, you may be having an urge to improve your life and become more successful in life just like them.

You need to consider when and where this person was in your life and what type of emotions and feelings they gave for you. Was it happiness? Sadness? Anger? The dream may have nothing to with them, but rather an emotion you’re feeling while you sleep.

They Represent a Want

This special person you’re dreaming about can actually just be a representation of a want you have in your life.

Let’s go back to the ex-boyfriend scenario. Perhaps the two of you ended on good terms. You are no longer sad or mad about the breakup and you don’t miss him at all. If you ended up having a dream about him, it doesn’t necessarily mean you want to be with him again. It may mean that you have a want or desire to be in a relationship and have that feeling of love again.

Dreaming about someone with your dream job? That may be just because you have a deep desire for having that career, and it’s shown through this person.

At the end of the day, if you are wondering if dreaming about someone means that they are thinking of you, the answer is truly uncertain. You must take a deeper look into your dream and all other possibilities before settling on a decision as to what your dream means.

If you are able to actually ask this person without sounding completely crazy, then that is a huge bonus! Go ahead and put your dream to the test and see If they were thinking of you. You never know what their answer may be!

Have you ever had a dream about someone? Did you find out what the dream meant? Share your stories and discoveries with us!

Unknown

January 28, 2020 at 11:12 pm

I used him in the past and when I came to apologize to him he accepted it and we starting talking again but when I started asking him if he still liked me he said he didn’t want a relationship and turned into a whole other person and then I blocked him. I’ve seen him at my schools games talking with other girls, (we have two different schools next to each other he goes to the other one) I’ve seen him with his friends during a firedrill and one of his friends that I know kept calling my name but I ignored him and my friends told me my ex was hiding when he called my name. But other than that I’ve been dreaming things with him like running into him, him adding me back on Snapchat. I’m trying my hardest to move on but I can’t and I’m irritated

January 29, 2020 at 4:33 pm

When you don’t know where a relationship could have gone, it sticks in your subconscious mind, and your subconscious mind may try to experiment with all of the possibilities in your dreams. It sounds like he doesn’t want to be used again in real life, which is probably why he hasn’t encouraged a relationship. He may be happy to hear your apology, but he probably isn’t as open about risking his heart again. Unfortunately, all you can really do at this point is just move on and learn from the mistakes of the past.

Nasrin

February 17, 2020 at 10:53 am

i am dreaming almost everynight my ex .we broke up 1 year ago he left me..in dreams i see how he ignores ne doesnt want to ralk to me doesnt have my number or with a lady holding her hand like he used to do with me.
      i see him everyday we greet eachother!like we havent been together..(in real life)

February 17, 2020 at 8:20 pm

The dream may mean you miss having him in your life or you just want someone to be in a relationship like that again. The fact that he is with someone else may have brought these memories to the forefront of your mind as well. Most likely, the dreams just show images of your life or the fact that you want to have a relationship, but they don’t necessarily show any remaining feelings about the ex.

ashley

December 29, 2019 at 12:30 pm

we ended on july but i always have dream about my ex on november he unfollowed me like i dreamed he followed me again and he followed again last week but i miss him and im scared to text him

January 2, 2020 at 3:55 pm

The two of you made the decision to end your relationship. If he reaches out to you in the future, then speak with him at that time.

Confused Young Lover

December 27, 2019 at 9:40 pm

So, there’s this guy I was friends with in middle school who got expelled and had to be homeschooled. I was dating his best friend at the time and had no interest in him. After he left and I broke up with his friend he emailed me and we both confessed we liked each other. We didn’t talk again. I messaged him last year saying hello and asking how he was and received no reply. Then this year he responded to that message and we talked for weeks just catching up. He now goes to my high school while I’m in JH because he did 2 years in one through homeschooling after being held back and then being expelled. Anyway, he asked me if I liked him and when I told him I had a crush he stopped talking to me. Then months later at a veterans program I saw him across the gymnasium and have had two dreams about since. In both dreams, we ended up dating and falling in love. What should I think about this?

January 3, 2020 at 8:24 pm

If you are interested in developing a relationship with him, then speak with him about your thoughts and feelings. If not, then allow thoughts of him to fade.

Jackie12

November 13, 2019 at 4:11 pm

I had a dream that I and my crush were on the bus home from middle school together. He sat in the row behind me but on the other side. He said hi to me and I said hi to him, then I asked him to sit with me because I was sitting alone and he was also sitting alone. So he came and sat with me and we both talked and talked. But normally the bus ride feels so long but that day it felt like 2 minutes. And he probably knew I liked him but he didn’t say anything and lastly in that dream I was really good friends with him. But in real life, I have feelings for him. At school I want to ignore him and I do, but yesterday I don’t know what happened but we locked eyes for like 5 seconds!!!

February 9, 2020 at 10:40 pm

It sounds possible that he might like you, but nothing is for sure just yet. If you are feeling brave and want to find out for sure, just flirt with him and see how he responds! As for the dream, it sounds like your dream happened because you want him to reveal his true feelings and be with you.

Eilly

November 3, 2019 at 12:58 pm

So I go to middle school. There is this guy who sits at my math table and he seems very interested in me. I don’t like him but I know he likes me. Then one day he said he was attracted to me. I took it as a joke because my other friend was laughing, but I had a dream of him and I walking around our school holding hands. I didn’t think of him that night but, did he think of me?

February 26, 2020 at 4:22 pm

The dream is probably not connected to whether he thinks of you. Instead, it probably happened because you know he is attracted to you and your subconscious wanted to experiment with what it’d be like to date him. As for real life, it definitely sounds like he likes you. If you don’t like him back, try to let him down easy because telling someone you like them is scary.

Yolanda

October 4, 2019 at 8:47 pm

I be having dreams of my baby daddy trying to have sex with me and i mean evey dream i had like 5 dreams but today it was different. He was just sitting at the bar not to far from where i was. He was just sitting there. Like just waiting

January 28, 2020 at 7:23 pm

These dreams are reflections of your previous romantic relationship with this person. It seems that you need to make a decision about the proper course of action. Make a decision about what is reasonable for your relationship, and take whatever action that you want to take.

Vianey Barrios

September 18, 2019 at 12:17 pm

I have dreams about my ex he broke up with me and then started seeing someone else the next day and I keep no connection with him we haven’t talked we don’t follow each other on social media and at some point I was sad about it but now I’m moving on with my life but every time I do that he suddenly pops up in my dreams. And I don’t know if it’s because he’s thinking of me or he thinks I’m still heartbroken about him

December 21, 2019 at 5:44 pm

These kinds of dreams may happen for a long time after a relationship ends. In general, they are just a sign that your subconscious is processing the relationship and you are gradually moving on. It takes time, but healing will happen!

Dominick Cerio

August 16, 2019 at 11:17 pm

I had a dream about this girl I haven’t talked to in years. I had a crush on her for the longest time when I was younger but we went to different high schools and I completely forgot about her. Then I followed her on instagrams a couple months ago and I’ve liked some of her pics when they roll up on my feed but I’ve never messaged her or even thought about her but I had this vivid dream about me and her meeting back up on a bus ride and talking it up and really having a spark between us and then she confessed how she’s always had feelings for me but she never showed it and then I do the same and then we start leaning on each other and laughing and we just kinda became a couple. Then I wake up and I’m so confused, i had such a emotionally intense dream about someone I hadn’t even thought about or spoken to in such a long time but here I am feeling like we just got together and I have butterflies in my stomach.

August 18, 2019 at 9:14 pm

The two of you once maintained a social relationship, and you are now friends on social media. Your dreams are manifestations of your previous crush. It is possible that she is thinking about you as well. Make a decision about what you want for the future of this relationship. Speak with her about your thoughts and feelings, and give her an opportunity to share herself with you as well. Have a great day, Dominick!

Jude

August 1, 2019 at 10:43 am

I was not thinking about my crush at all and I had pretty much gotten over him completely and we aren’t even going to the same school next year. I have had 2 dreams about where they were present. One dream I was the owner of a business and I hugged them, and then I had another dream where I just talked to them. I don’t know what we talked about. The guy I had a crush on was a jerk anyways, so I don’t understand why…

August 1, 2019 at 3:24 pm

Something in your life may have caused you to think about your crush. You are aware that his behaviors were inappropriate. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times. Allow thoughts of this person to fade. When you return to school, there may be someone that you are interested in maintaining a relationship. Have a great day, Jude!

Rommie

July 27, 2019 at 10:11 pm

There is this guy in my neighbor, I kinda like him. But done know about his thoughts. We haven’t talked to each other yet.
    Last night I dreamt about him. Was it a reflection of his thoughts?

July 29, 2019 at 3:18 pm

Your dreams are reflections of your thoughts regarding this relationship. It is certainly possible that he is interested in maintaining a relationship with you. Make a decision about what you want for your future. Speak with him about your thoughts and feelings, and give him an opportunity to share himself with you as well. Nourish this relationship by spending additional time together in person. Have a great day, Rommie!

Dee

July 27, 2019 at 8:14 am

Theres this boy I think I’m starting to have feelings for. He’s smart independent and very good looking. I really want to get to know him. Weve talked a few times at work. I had a dream we were sitting together and I turn around and hes gone. Leaving nothing but his phone. I pick up his phone and start searching for him. I wake up before I can manage to find him.

July 27, 2019 at 8:52 pm

This dream is a reflection of your social and emotional relationship with this person. You are aware that relationships change over time. You may know that if you do not reach out to him, that he may disappear. Make a decision about what you want for the future of this relationship. Speak with him about your thoughts and feelings, and give him an opportunity to share himself with you as well. Have a great day, Dee!

Taylor

August 14, 2019 at 6:55 am

I just woke up and I had a dream about this person who I rarely talk to but talked to him recently because he was my friends, friend and went swimming together, I don’t believe that I like him but it could be a subconscious mind thing, idk, in the dream we were partners for a school project then we started dating, and it’s weird because my previous crush which I’m pretty sure I’m over was his originally partner in the project but then he decided to go with me so idk if I like any of them or one of them likes me, the one who I went swimming with did suddenly follow me on Instagram right after that but it was weird because we never talked before that and we barely talked at swimming

August 14, 2019 at 2:31 pm

This dream may be a reflection of your social and emotional desires. It is possible that he is simply a placeholder for someone in your life. He may be someone that you are interested in maintaining a relationship with. Make a decision about what you want for the future of this relationship or of another relationship. Regardless of your decision, ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Taylor!

Elgen

September 7, 2019 at 7:38 am

Hello! I had a dream last night about my new boss wearing in super red shirt. It was a scarry dream as I am fighting with a white lady which I found it to be my closest friend in my new work. This new boss just came over and stopped us. Other people start dragging her out and we are left alone with my new boss, he started asking if I’m okay and I was confused how he got us. I did nothing but blankly stared at him because he looks so handsome with his super red polo shirt. Then I woke up, I didn’t even think that I’ll have a crush on him until I dreamnt that dream. Would that be just any dreams? No serious meaning right? Hehe I know I’m quite creative or imaginative sometimes. Thanks

September 8, 2019 at 8:49 pm

This dream seems to be an indication of various influences that you may have in your life. The appearance of your boss could have been an indication of your attraction to him. The fighting may be an indication of your social relationships. It seems that you need to navigate what you want for your future. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Elgen!

Ec

July 17, 2019 at 7:27 am

So this is really weird but I wasn’t dreaming but I was seeing something so I was at this thing that my crush was also at and all of the sudden I look over and I envision him making out with me lol so yeah and I had a dream we’re we were making out to so what I’m trying to figure out is if he was the one thinking of us making out and somehow I noticed the thought I don’t really understand but all’s I know is that at that moment it wasn’t me thinking abt kissing him:)

July 17, 2019 at 5:51 pm

This experience is an indication of your social and emotional desires. You were thinking about him and you felt that he had similar thoughts for you are well. It is possible that he is interested in maintaining a relationship with you as well. Speak with him about your thoughts and feelings, and give him an opportunity to share himself with you as well. Have a great day, Ec!

Richara

June 20, 2019 at 5:10 pm

Ok so I had this dream about a guy that I kind of know and I’ve always thought of him as an acquaintance. He is pretty good looking too, but I have never been into him. When we first met, he was not the biggest fan of me, but then we became better acquainted. I still wasn’t a big fan of him because he didn’t like me as a person the first time we met so I’ve always let that tick me off and never really tried to build like a friendship with him. A couple months ago, I wrote a feature story on him for my university newspaper and I learned about a hard time in his life where he did something inspiring and I began to respect him, but again, I did not have feelings.

I hadn’t seen him in a while until in the past two weeks I had seen him 4 times at different social gatherings, one of them being his graduation party, which I went to with my friends. So one thing that happened was that at the end of his graduation party when I was leaving, he turned around to give me like a hug or high five, I wasn’t really sure, and I saw him for a split second and then I just kind of swerved him (this was because I wasn’t a huge fan of the guy), and I’m not sure why. We had a good laugh about it though with our mutual friends later.

So fast forward one week, and this was yesterday, I had a very vivid dream about him driving me and my friends home. I was in the front passenger seat and we had a really good conversation in the dream and I really liked him and at the end he was driving just me and he was holding my hand and I just felt so good and so safe with him for some reason. That dream really changed my perspective of him and now I see him as somebody like that and I am not sure what it means.

June 20, 2019 at 11:08 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. Your recent interactions likely influenced this dream. It seems that you are interested in maintaining a relationship with him. Make a decision about what you want for the future of this relationship. Speak with him about your thoughts and feelings, and give him an opportunity to share himself with you as well. Have a great day, Richara!

Richara

July 8, 2019 at 8:02 pm

So the same guy seemed interested in reconnecting with me recently (he sent me a quick message); it was very odd at the timing of it, and part of me thinks that he had the dream and he felt this way. I don’t want to ask him because it would be weird. How can I know for sure?

July 8, 2019 at 9:17 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. If this person has reached out to you, then his behaviors are indications that he is attracted to you. He may want to maintain a relationship with you. Speak with him about your thoughts and feelings. Give him an opportunity to share himself with you as well. Nourish this relationship by spending additional time with him in person. Have a great day, Richara!

Sharon Eng

June 5, 2019 at 7:23 am

Hey, I’m Sharon. I have a bestfriend but actually we are more than that but we never declare we are couple due to some reason. But lately, he said he need time and space since i caught him lie to me about his family. But that’s not a big deal. Now, we still texting but once or twice a day. Just morning wish and silent. I started to think that probably our relationship will end. But every morning he the one who always text me Good Morning wish. Before this, he used to call me babe, but now he call me by name. What do you think of this? Is bcs he doesn’t feel interested in me anymore?

June 5, 2019 at 10:55 pm

The two of you are maintaining a relationship, and you feel that his feelings for you may have changed. If you believe that he is no longer interested in maintaining a relationship with you, then determine what you want for the future of this relationship. Speak with him about your thoughts and feelings. Give him an opportunity to share himself with you. If he ignores you or treats you poorly, then you are aware of his feelings regarding your relationship. Have a great day, Sharon!

Priya

May 2, 2019 at 2:14 pm

Ok listen, I absolutely hate this guy, but I can’t stop thinking about him. I have dreams about him occasionally and it seems like he might like me. AND the major difference is I’m in 6th grade and he’s in 8th and his brother is in my grade!! Does this mean I like him?

May 4, 2019 at 1:37 pm

You have stated that you do not like this person. This means that you are not interested in developing a relationship with him. It is likely that you share a social connection with him. If you determine what you are interested in maintaining a relationship with him, then speak with him about your thoughts and feelings. If you are not interested in him, then determine what you want for your future without him. Have a great day, Priya!

S.raiyne

March 21, 2019 at 7:20 am

so last night I had a dream about my ex and I was at his house with his family and I told his brother in my dream that my ex his brother dumbed me and got with his ex he’s mom started to say stuff like no he didn’t and then his mom’s boyfriend started to yell at me than I woke up what does this mean? do i still have feelings for him

March 22, 2019 at 12:51 am

Your dream seems to be a reflection of your previous relationship with your ex. The two of you are no longer together, so it is possible that something else reminded you of this relationship. It seems as though this dream could be a reflection of your negative memories. Allow your thoughts of your ex to fade, and focus your emotional energy elsewhere. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, S!

Alexjam

December 9, 2018 at 10:16 pm

Hi There
    Awesome… just what i needed to hear… encouraging words

December 10, 2018 at 4:45 pm

Thank you for sharing your positive comment. Please feel free to share more of your thoughts and feelings in the future. Have a great day, Alexjam!

amber

November 3, 2018 at 5:30 pm

I like this boy (crush) in my math class. We stopped talking because he didn’t like one of my ex-friends. We then reconnected and i followed him around all the time. He said we couldn’t be friends because i was “creepy”. I try to live my everyday life without him, but i can’t. We both liked each other, and i want to fix things, and reconnect. How do i do that??

November 3, 2018 at 6:55 pm

He has shared his thoughts and feelings with you. He is not interested in nourishing a relationship with you at this time. Allow thoughts of him to fade. Continue to share your kindness and compassion with him. It is possible that his feelings for you may grow over time. The best option may be to be patient. Have a great day, Amber!

Litxie

October 7, 2018 at 2:43 am

(I am a girl)I had a dream with my kinda crush..since we finished secondary school i decided to forget about that person and stopped watching her snap stories so i forgot about her since i havnt watched anything to remind me of her. however i started dreaming again of that person..i was in the mcdonalds with a friend and i wanted water so i asked my friend… if i could have some water . she told me “of course go get some ice” i stood up to get the ice and saw my crush when my crush saw me she was surprised and did a smirk i just got nervous and asked myself why? Of all mcdonalds why this one? My crush was supposed to leave mcdonalds now since she was finished with the food but since she
    saw me she started following me and asked for another menu… she started making conversations with me i cant quite remember but i remeber she asked me some questions that maked me replied and other questions that maked me being silent and other questions that maked me nervous? but i remember in one of those conversation my crush told me “i missed you” i didnt say anything i just looked into her eyes and she smiled…she was talking too much to me.. that she even forgot about her menu so the lady had to remind her she took her menu.. and said bye to me with a wink.. i went back to my seat and my crush and her friends could see me and my friend..but we couldnt see them they were at the back of us..in reality my crush is asthmatic..so in the dream after a while she started getting asthma attack and was all sweaty she was moving a lot.. and got embarrased since she didnt want me to see her like that her friends and me and my friend took her to her house and then when we arrived to her house there was this girl that was practically all the time in the dream but never spoke just kept giving me dirty looks and told me to fuck off.. then when we arrived to my crush house that girl appeared out of nowhere again.. that girl didnt want me close to my crush but my crush didnt give a f*** my crush kept talking to me and wanted to be with me my crush friends were shook about the girl appearing like that and the girl that appeared out of nowhere like that said “what..you thought i wouldnt come?….. And then i woke up. I dont know what it means but i would love to know because i havnt seen my crush snap stories for a good 3 months now and i forgot about her i havnt even thought of her.. so why did i have to dream ?

October 7, 2018 at 8:09 pm

Your dreams are reflections of your thoughts and feelings. Your strong emotional connection with your crush may have manifested due to a memory of him. Perhaps attempt to reach out to your crush. Determine what you believe is appropriate at this time. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Litxie!

Charli

October 6, 2018 at 3:54 am

I often have prophetic dreams.

October 6, 2018 at 10:11 am

Thank you for sharing your supportive comment. Please share more of your thoughts and feelings in the future. Have a great day, Charli!