100 Funny Usernames (And How to Make Sure You Get Yours Right)
It doesn’t matter what you do online these days, you’ll need a username in order to do it. That online shopping site where you buy all the cutest dresses from? You’ll need a username for that. You’ll need a username for Twitter and other social media platforms. Online accounts for everything require a username and password of some description. In some cases, it might be your email address, but in those times when you are expected to come up with your own, that isn’t something easy to remember, such as an email address, getting the right right username is hard work.
It needs to be something that you’ll easily remember. It also needs to keep you safe. And then you need to think about the repercussions of a username … Who’d have known there were so many factors to take into consideration?
Funny Usernames — What NOT To Do
There are, of course, a few rules that you will need to take into consideration, especially when you want to keep yourself safe online.
If you use your real name, people who you do not know could use the information to get to know you. They can also use that information to try and find MORE information and potentially even steal your identity.
If you include a place of work, such as RobinfromWalmart (for example), you are telling people where you work and, therefore, giving them the opportunity to come and find you. There is also a chance that disclosing where you work so publicly might actually go against the terms and conditions (or “rules”) of working for that company.
If you insert a place name, make sure the place name isn’t too specific. Again, with just a few snippets of information, you can find a whole host more, especially with social media. If you know the town in which a person lives, you can more often than not find them with a name and a rough idea of what they look like. The online world has made so many things much easier, but one of those things is that people may find you, whom you don’t want to find you.
Including any details of your birth date is also another huge mistake when you’re coming up with funny usernames for internet accounts. In the same way that you can find someone with a rough idea of what they look like, a first name, and a town in which they live, you can steal someone’s identity very easily once you have their date of birth.
Of course, one final piece of advice that we feel it is important to remember when creating a username, funny or not, is that you must look at the offence-factor. Your username is likely to be funny for you, but is it going to be funny to or for someone else, or are you just being offensive and rude? It might be worth thinking about it for a moment … If it can be considered as a “shocking” or “controversial” username, it might be worth thinking again before you commit to it.
100 Funny Usernames
- not_JK_Rowling – you could add any name you liked into this clever and funny username. We’ve gone for the traditional writer/author, but you could also pick a sportsman or woman, a reality TV celebrity, a hairdresser, whoever you liked really. Keep reading to find a few more funny usernames that you could use in a similar fashion …
- what_would_Kate_do – this is a great way of incorporating your first name. Just remember to use the username tips above to ensure you aren’t giving away too much information.
- kate_the_gamer – or author/chef/artist/etc.
- kate_the_great — find a word that rhymes with your name (or sounds like your name) and get creative! We’ve included a few more ideas:
- over_the_lorraine_bow – like “Over the Rainbow” but with a twist.
- mr_teacher_man – this is a great way to show off your profession without giving away too much information that you then put yourself at risk.
- cheeseburger_chris – what’s your favourite food? There are so many ways that you could play these funny usernames!
- chicken_al_fred_o – just in case your name is Fred.
- tell_starbucks_my_name_is_Dave – this would be a funny and memorable username for a dating profile/site. #justsaying
- just_a_fish_in_a_barrel – talking of dating sites, this one is perfect for a funny username!
- just_another_single_guy – or girl.
- username_mark_two – replace ‘username’ with your regular username, obviously.
- green_eyed_gal – it’s time to start looking at things about yourself that you could use in your funny usernames. How about a few of these …
- james_blond – it’s time to start taking advantage of movie titles!
- the_mattrix – perfect for The Matrix-loving Matt’s out there.
- MAXi_driver – y’know, like Taxi Driver but for Max.
- crap_thirst – this might not make a lot of sense, but it’s actually an anagram of Chris Pratt, the Jurassic Park actor. There are actually a LOT of funny anagrams that you could use for your next username …
- swanky_tee – Kanye West
- obscenely_woken – Beyonce Knowles
- sly_groaning – Ryan Gosling
- odd_silent_moth – Tom Hiddleston
- snide_elf – Seinfeld (it made us laugh more than it should have done!)
- semen_moat – Emma Stone (another chuckler!)
- random_advice – the Brits are going to love this one … David Cameron.
- i_am_a_weakish_speller – Ironically, William Shakespeare.
- old_west_action – Clint Eastwood
- cunning_at_math – Channing Tatum
- fine_in_torn_jeans – Jennifer Aniston
- big_melons – Mel Gibson
- enjoys_own_hand – Dwayne Johnson (Okay, fine, we’ll stop with the anagrams now!)
- tin_foil_hat – now for some funny usernames, just because.
My Username is Taken!
Sometimes, we just can’t get what we want. There is NOTHING more annoying than when someone has already taken your perfect username, especially when you’ve taken some time to come up with the right one. With so many people online now, there is a constant need for new and original usernames, and there is a good chance that the first one you choose will be taken. That’s why we advise you come up with a couple of usernames — maybe five? (As if coming up with one wasn’t hard enough already.)
If your username is already taken, don’t give up hope. There might be a way that you can modify them — or, at least, one of them. You came up with five ideas, right? (Didn’t we say that it would be a good idea to have more than one?)
Add numbers to your username, such as not_JK_rowling_101. What’s your favourite number? Or lucky number? Don’t use your date of birth or any other recognisable number, though, because that will then put you at a higher risk of identity theft.
You could always look at changing regular characters for special ones, to keep a username that you’d rather not add numbers to. One example of this would be to change not_JK_rowling to n0t_JK_r0wling — you are simply replacing the letter ‘o’ with the number ‘0’.