Dreams About Running Away

By on September 5, 2017

When you have a dream that you are running away, it can be terrifying. You may dream that someone or some monster is chasing you. This type of dream can actually trigger the fight or flight response in your body. This is a natural defense mechanism that your body uses to help you avoid physical dangers like a tiger. Unfortunately, it can activate when you are under stress or when you are dreaming about a potential danger.

When you have a dream that someone is chasing you, you wake up with your heart racing and a strong urge to run away. You want to escape, but the only danger is within your mind. When this type of dream occurs, you need to take time to analyze it. You have to figure out what your subconscious mind is trying to tell you about dangers in your waking life.

When you have a dream that you are being chased, it typically means that you have some type of worry or danger in your real life. Often, the dream is trying to say that you should turn around and face the issue head on. In real life, you are continuously running away from the problem, but this technique is not actually making the problem disappear. Instead, it is only allowing the danger to grow and become worse. You must figure out what the problem is and deal with it. There are responsibilities and obligations that you need to deal with. For you to be happy, healthy and secure, you have to move on and handle the problem.

If you have a reoccurring dream about running away, it is a sign that you really need to figure out why the dream keeps happening. Something in your life makes you feel in danger, so you need to consider what it is. What is going on in your professional or personal life? Is there anything that is making you uncomfortable or in danger?

If the chaser is right behind you, it shows that the danger is getting close and may reach a head in your real life. If the man is being chased by a woman, it indicates that he feels consumed by someone or trapped in a situation. If you are caught by the chaser and attacked, it shows that your fears are starting to become a reality.

When a criminal is chasing you in the dream, it shows that you have to learn how to protect yourself from people who may be trying to consume you. Being chased by a monster shows that something will reach an end soon. If you turn around and no one is chasing you, then you are able to overcome any problem that ends up coming your way.

If the chaser is cursing or swearing in the dream, it shows that you feel angry. You may need to stay quiet in real life and control your temper, or the consequences will be worse. Meanwhile, laughing at the thing chasing you shows that you are capable of laughing off difficult situations. Being chased by a huge animal right behind you shows that new opportunities in your life are being slowed down or delayed for now.

Sometimes, you dream that you want to run away, but you are rooted to the ground. You are unable to run. This means that your worries are catching up, and you must take responsibility. If you cannot take responsibility, your problem will consume you completely. If you are chased by a human, it may show that financial difficulties are heading your way. You may be worried about money, even when you have enough to get by.

If you are being chased by co-workers or colleagues,, then it means that other people do not feel like you are working hard enough. Being chased in slow motion shows that you should take a deeper look at the relationships or friends in your life. You may need to improve these relationships to better your life.

If someone or something is chasing you through the streets, it shows that you may have money problems. When you are unable to see who is chasing you, it is an indicator that you should explore your feelings about someone or something like your career. When you hide or lose the person chasing you, it shows that you are able to overcome any problems. If the chaser catches p and pins you, it shows that you feel trapped or inadequate in some way. If you are chased by a shadow, it shows that you are denying yourself something that you really wanted. Unless it is completely impossible, you may want to give in to the indulgence.

Being Chased by Animals

If you are chased by sharks, it means that tough times are ahead of you. Being chased by a bull shows problems in your workplace. There may be competitive co-workers who want your position or business. Being chased by a bat shows that your partner or yourself may get sick temporarily. Luckily, the illness should just be minor.

If a dog is chasing you, it shows that all aspects of your life will soon become busy. If you see dogs hunting foxes or rabbits, it shows that there is trouble among the people closest to you. You should be careful about your interactions with loved ones because you could be pulled into the drama. If the dog is running after a squirrel, it shows that family and friends may have arguments.

Bees swarming shows serious trouble is in the making. If you catch a bee, it means that someone who you thought was close to you is not actually a true friend. If you are stung by a bee, it means that there may be physical problems or ailments soon.

If you dream that a snake is slithering along after you, it means that friends are grateful for everything that you do. If you are bitten and killed by a snake, it means that you are capable of winning over your enemies and defeating any challenges. Snakes are often considered a sign of protection, so a positive dream about snakes is a good thing.

If you are chased by a group of people or a zombie, it shows that one of your relationships has an issue that you have to fix. It may also show how you respond to social pressure. If these people cannot catch you, then that is a good thing.

The Underlying Meaning of Dreams About Running Away

At their heart, dreams about chasing often symbolize some kind of avoidance. Your subconscious is trying to tell you that there is a person, problem or situation that you need to be wary of. If you dream that someone you know is chasing you, then you may be afraid that they will discover a secret or expose you to other people.

The type of pursuer often matters in dreams about running away. An animal chasing you has a different meaning than a person. The pursuer may represent one of your traits, fears or characteristics. If you have negative emotions like anger, fear, hate or jealousy, they may turn into a threat in your dream. They may be the symbol of the trait that you are trying so hard to reject.

Often, running away in a dream shows that you are trying to avoid a fearful, painful topic. Your subconscious mind will often turn your worries into a physical danger. You may not want to confront that situation, so you are running away from it in your dream. Because of this, it is important for you to investigate why you are running in the dream and what it could symbolize.

Look at the Distance

Another factor to look at in your dreams is the distance between you and the pursuer. If your can outrun your pursuer, then it generally means that the problem will go away on its own or it will be easy to resolve. If the pursuer is starting to catch up with you, it shows that the problem may never go away unless you meet it head on in real life.

Alternative Meanings

Sometimes, dreaming about running away is not a sign of a subconscious problem or need. It may directly mean that you are afraid of physical danger. You may live in a dangerous area, or you might just be worried about the dangers you see on the news. Because of these fears, you dream that you are running away from something in real life. This is especially true for people who have been raped or abused. They have a very real fear of danger in their normal life, so they have dreams that someone is chasing them again.

To figure out your chasing dream, take time to look at who you are running from and what happens in the dream. Take note of how far away your pursuer is and your location. With a bit of effort and thought, you will be able to figure out why you keep having dreams about running away from someone.

Anonymous

July 20, 2019 at 6:05 pm

I have had 2 repetitive dreams of running away.
    My first dream is it starts of with me and someone, I don’t know who, but we are running very fast away from somewhere, we need to get to safety, then we are crawling over boxes and hay, after that i am running on the highway, I don’t know where the other person is, but i’m running, it isnt hard to run, but i’m running for a very long time, i climbed over barbed wire fences, got cut, but continued to run, then i wake up.

My second dream is im somewhere in a building, with narrow walls, kind of like a maze, im running with a big group of people, i killed someone, i dont know who, but denying it, and the cops want to find us to find who did it. as im running it skips to me and the cops, they are questioning me, but im lying, and they didnt know i was lying. im back to running with the group, but im finding it very hard to run, my legs are struggling to keep up with me. i wake up.

I have a lot of repetitive dreams, and i need to know what they mean…
    there is a dream where i have all my teeth fall out, there is also a dream where i give birth but my stomach is flat, and another dream ive had since i was 7, im 15 now, and i still have it, its me and my mum walking in a underground carpark, its just us 2, im talking to her but she doesnt reply, so i look behind me and shes gone, i search for a long time, and find a bundle in the corner, i walk to her and she seems to be in a giant caccoon like thing, shes covered up, its pulsing but i cry and wake up with tears.

July 21, 2019 at 7:48 pm

The first two dreams that you described are reflections of your thoughts regarding concerns or worries that you may have in your life. Running may be a sign that you are either attempting avoid something or you are trying to reach something. Teeth falling out are indications of feelings of loss. Birth is a sign that you may be interested in making a change in your life. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Anon!

Casey

July 19, 2019 at 7:20 am

I have this repeating dream where me and someone I know are running away, I don’t think there’s anything we’re running away from but I know that we’re running away to get to “a place with blue clear water” and usually at some point during the dream I get stuck in dark water and start to drown so then we leave and try to run away. It’s very hectic and scary even though there’s nothing chasing us. What does all this mean?

July 19, 2019 at 4:24 pm

Dreams of being chased or attacked are reflections of concerns or fears that you have in your life. Water and drowning may be a reflection of your knowledge of change. Allow the negative aspects of this dream to fade. Abstain from consuming violent and dramatic media. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Casey!

Joanna

July 16, 2019 at 10:22 am

I have this repeating dream where I follow a person that I know into a cave and I can hear them talking then suddenly I don’t. I round the corner and they’re gone and a stick figure drawn in chalk appears when they disappear. Everytime I have this dream a new stick figure is added and the picture becomes more grotesque. Without entering the opening at the end of the cave I see the picture on the floor and instead of looking into it I just run as fast as I can outside into a flourishing and bright forest. I run towards a house that I can neither remember or describe it in anyway but in the dream I know it’s there yet I’ve never seen it.

July 16, 2019 at 6:37 pm

Your dream seems to be a reflection of various concerns that you may have in your life. It seems that you are concerned about the negative aspects of this dream. The stick figures may be related to your thoughts regarding death. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Abstain from consuming violent and dramatic media. Have a great day, Joanna!

John

July 16, 2019 at 10:20 am

July 16, 2019 at 6:37 pm

Your dream seems to be a reflection of various concerns that you may have in your life. It seems that you are concerned about the negative aspects of this dream. The stick figures may be related to your thoughts regarding death. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Abstain from consuming violent and dramatic media. Have a great day, John!

Brooke

July 12, 2019 at 7:46 am

I usedto have chasing dreams happen to me a lot but then I stopped. But one just happened to me where this woman was chasing me. She was a ghost basically. We were in a car garage and she wanted me to open my car door. I don’t even drive in real life. When I openedmy car door, I ran. I grabbed this motorcycle thing and drove it as fast as I could towardsthe elevators. She was always right behind me. I made it to the elevator but I came back to were she was a bit later on in my dream purposely. In the dream I kept going back to where she was after I escaped. And I always escaped the same way. Motorcycle and an elevator. At one point I brought a younger teen boy in and the woman didn’t chase him because he didn’t ave a car. They just talked. But when she saw me, she chased me again.

July 12, 2019 at 5:56 pm

Dreams are of being chased are manifestations of your worries and concerns. The presence of the boy without a car could be a reflection of someone in your life who makes you feel safe or secure. These dreams may have diminished, which could be a sign that you have addressed those concerns. If you have similar dreams in the future, then address whoever is chasing you in the future. Have a great day, Brooke!

Tia G

June 26, 2019 at 3:46 am

For as long as I can remember I have had constant repeat dreams of being chased by someone. Moat of the time it is one person, sometimes it is more. I have many different dreams of this, but they have all been repeat dreams, meaning I have been chased in that exact scenario before but the next time there was some form of a minute difference about it. Most of the time, I’m able to recall exactly how the dream had went before and go through it until it continues into something new. The dream I have of that scenario, it’s always one of two options: the base of the dream stays the same but different events happen (I still get chased), or the dream continues itself like a story book.

It’s literally almost all of what I dream about. Maybe I dream of not being chased twice a week if I’m lucky. Some end with me being caught (I end up being raped or choked or stabbed or curbstomped into the ground, they are always in some way violent), some end with the chaser approaching me very closely and I force myself awake. Fighting back never works. I have tried many many times before and I’m quite literally powerless. If I throw something it misses or bounces right off, if I fight my punches and kicks feel like I’m just trying to hurt a pillow. Sometimes I can will them a distance away or will myself to fly away from the danger, but they always without fail catch back up and I have to start running again.

It’s so infuriating and at this point I’ve gotten so good at recognizing when I’m about to be chased just from the feeling my dream suddenly gives me, so I force myself awake. When I do that it takes a couple rapid cycles of going through the beginning of other dreams and sleep paralysis before I’m able to actually get up.

At this point I’m not even asking for help understanding, I’ve analyzed them for years and I don’t get it, I just want a place to rant about it because no matter how long I look no one else has experienced anything like this. I’d like to know other people’s opinions.

Tia G

June 26, 2019 at 3:47 am

It’s a long one, so tldr: for the longest time, my dreams are stuck on slightly changing loops of me being chased and there’s nothing I can do.

June 26, 2019 at 4:52 pm

Dreams of being chased are often manifestations of worries or concerns in your life. Many people find benefit in reducing stresses in their life. However, it seems as though you have various influences that may be causing these dreams to appear. Because of this, you should focus on dealing with the dreams themselves within the dreams. Address whoever or whatever is chasing you to discover its purpose. This will help reduce similar dreams from manifesting in the future. Have a great day, Tia!

June 26, 2019 at 4:52 pm

Abby

June 24, 2019 at 5:28 am

June 24, 2019 at 3:42 pm

Your dream may be a reflection of a disagreement that you may have had with your mother. If there is something in your life that you need to address, then do so. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Abby!

Abby

June 24, 2019 at 5:27 am

I had a dream me and my mother were arguing about something that actually happened & she told everyone so I ran away and went to live with a teacher that decided to take me in.

June 24, 2019 at 3:41 pm

Just

June 23, 2019 at 4:20 pm

In my dreams my whole family went to a place that looks like a huge hotel or something, other people were there as well, like a whole 20 students and their parents although there could be more student. We were watching a movie until my father pointed out that there a spider on my pillow, I ran and didn’t see the spider. Then my cat was being chased by a dog and I push the dog away only to somehow found there were 5 dogs that belong to 5 other male that I don’t know but being friendly like I already know them. Time skip I was sitting or giving away papers in a huge room with other people that looks like a class, someone tap on my shoulder and gave me my sister’s phone, the back has no cover and no password. I read a message.. but I didn’t what it said, all I know it made me worried sick. The group of girls who gave me that phone said that they saved that number and it was a sim card number, i have no idea what it means. We went to somewhere old and seems forbidden, the area feels heavy and gray, there were a cloaked man walked past us, there was a room and inside was another cloaked man, we went around that room not going inside, but once we were on the other side the man was gone.The 3 girls and 1 or 2 boys stayed down while I go up a staircase. The place looks old and dark. There my gut tells me something was wrong and have to run, so I flee with the others. As we ran 2 man started chasing us, one was normal clothed and the other with a cloak but his head wasn’t covered. They’re were fat but fast enough to cought on to me and somehow I am the slowest runner. We had to overcome an obstacle where we need to jump over some old wooden planks. When the chaser got close. I somehow picked up a hugw green coconut, and throw it at the normal clothed man cause he was cathing up on us. He knocked out and the cloak man still chasing us, I tried the same technique of throwing coconut, one of the group joined me, it kinda didn’t work, as he almost catching up to me, he probably somehow stopped. We’re somewhere else now and I told the group to call a police. I checked my sister phone and the kidnapper/cloak man posted on his whatsapp status(even tho the number wasn’t save) were emojis of “3 soup, 4 exclamations marks, another 4 soup and some more exclamations mark. She didn’t waste a thing” not accurate but it is something like that. after that I woke up and here I am.

June 23, 2019 at 7:35 pm

Dreams about being chased or harmed are indications of a concern or worry that you may have in your life. Your behaviors in your dream may be an indication of how you may handle stress in your waking life. You will find great benefit in abstaining from consuming violent and dramatic media. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Just!

JB

June 23, 2019 at 3:15 am

In my dream I went downtown with an old friend who drove left me for a good distance then stopped to wait. Walking to catch up with him I almost bumped into an old lady who had her back turned to the streets whom I didn’t see until someone touches me on my hand and pointed her out to me so as to prevent the whole thing from happening. As soon as I noticed, the lady turned around with a knife and I started crying thanking the person who showed her to me. I started to run as this lady begun running after me to my destination and back. At one point I stoped in a restaurant to grab food and she lost me. By the time I ran out as the line was too long she saw me coming out and started chasing me again to my gate. She couldn’t enter that’s why she stopped.

June 23, 2019 at 12:24 pm

The dream may indicate that you feel like there is some kind of fear in your life that you are deliberately trying to avoid, physically or mentally. It is also possible that this woman reflects something that your subconscious mind or heart are supposed to hear or accept in your waking life, but you are figuratively trying to run away from this realization in your waking life, just like you are in your dream. If this dream happens again, try stopping and confronting the woman to find out what she wants.

Sweet

May 28, 2019 at 1:31 am

Had a dream I was running away from my brother who wasn’t even chasing me. I wasn’t even the only one running. But each time I see him, I run. I guess we have unsettled issues maybe right???

May 28, 2019 at 6:47 pm

Your interpretation of the dream is likely accurate. You may have unsettled issues that you are dealing with. Make a decision about what you want for your future. If you want to speak with your brother, then do so regardless of your decision, ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Sweet!

Kylie

May 22, 2019 at 10:22 am

In my dream, I dreamt that I was running away from my house, in a car with a cekebrity whom I have been watching lately. When the car stopped at a destination he jumped and hovered over me and kissed me. He assured me that nothing is going to happen and that we’ll be safe. PLEASE EXPLAIN.

May 22, 2019 at 9:53 pm

Being chased in dreams are often reflections of worries or concerns that you may have in your life. The celebrity in your dream is a manifestation of the shows that you watch. It is possible that you are attracted to this person. You may be interested in maintaining a new social relationship. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Kylie!

Faith

May 11, 2019 at 1:21 am

In my dream I was running away from a masked person who I knew in the dream but I cannot recognise the face in real life . He was chasing me down a long street in my home area but I mannaged to run faster than him , I called my mom while I was running but she would not answer and when she did answer she offered me no help . I saw a group of men who I think were police , one was in uniform the other 2 were in suits I went to them to seek help and they agreed to help me , but I saw that one of the men was in the phone to the person who had been chasing me , they were friends and I believe he was telling the masked person where I was , so I began running again . This is a recurring dream this is maybe the 2nd or 3rd time I have had it and it is always the same outcome .

May 11, 2019 at 8:53 pm

This is a reoccurring dream, so it is possible that you have various influences in your life that are causing this dream to manifest. Dreams about being chased may be reflection of worries or concerns that you may have in your life. Abstain from consuming violent and dramatic media. This will help reduce similar dreams from manifesting in the future. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Faith!

Shaily Aghakhani

April 25, 2019 at 11:36 am

I started running away in some of my dreams since elementary school (I’m in college now). The chasers are always different but they all have some things in common. They’re all males who are financially or politically way more powerful than me. I can feel the weight of their authority in my dreams. They are always chasing me because I’ve done something wrong. I don’t know what I do wrong, but I know I never feel guilty about it. They never catch me and the chases that I can remember mostly include climbing walls or sometimes even flying. The weirdest thing is that even though I’ve been having these dreams for a long time now, today, after all these years, is the first time I realize that this running away pattern has been happening way too much for it to be just a meaningless dream.

April 25, 2019 at 12:55 pm

Dreams about being chased are often manifestations of fears or concerns that you may have in your life. It is possible that the people who chase you in your dreams are reflections of similar people in your waking life. If you have a dream about being chased in the future, then address that person regarding the purpose of their presence in your dream. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Shaily!

Nokori

April 25, 2019 at 6:00 am

I dream very often of running away. Mostly I run from my closest friends or my family. Sometimes they don’t even chase me, they have no reason until they notice, that I’m gone, which never happens for some reason.
    When they do chase me it’s because we were doing something as a group or travelling toghether and I suddenly tricked them, so I can run away. It’s hard to really run, just like when you try to run in water. I always manage to not get caught tho, even if it means using an airplane, running on top of a mountain or burying myself under the snow.
    Rarely I also run from a monster or a catastrophe in a city. I’m never afraid of these things. I’m almost fascinated by the danger and playful with the situation.

April 25, 2019 at 12:45 pm

Some people are chased in dreams because of things that they fear. Others, like yourself, run because of mischief or a desire to be free. It is clear that you are a playful person. Ensure that your actions in your waking life are filled with kindness and compassion. It is certain that being playful is pleasurable, though it is important to always care for the feelings of the people that you are with. Have a great day, Nokori!

Hi

April 9, 2019 at 10:59 pm

I have dreams about running away all my life. Every time I’m not able to outrun the person chasing me, because I cannot run at my full speed and I am always aware of it. Whenever I push off with my feet, the air pushes me backwards, causing me to fall back if I don’t run leaning forward.
    The chaser changes from family member to friend to character from film. And often someone is running away with me, but at some point they catch him.
    Sometimes I even have problems with my sight, becoming slowly blind throughout the dream or something. The chaser always ends up catching me and usually ties me down or holds me so I can’t escape.
    The overall run before the chaser catches me is usually hundreds of miles, but it always cuts between important points in the run.
    The environments are always some places, where I’ve spent a lot of time lately, that don’t aren’t beside each other real life.
    I also have dreams about falling very often, usually with some sort of prequel where I am being chased and the feeling is always terryfing. Though I’ve learned to sometimes be able to switch from the dream to another, which has caused it to appear less often.
    I also get dreams, that are exact copies of dreams, that I’ve already had.
    And when I have a crush on someone, I get dreams where I’m running after them and trying to find them, but they’re always one step too far, which makes me sad, because this is the only place I can be with them. And when I have a dream where we’re together, it makes me even sadder, like truly very sad, because after I wake up it becomes a reality for me until I slowly realize, it was all a dream.
    The last type of dreams I get, is when I miss my bus and it’s late already. Then I miss my other bus that takes me a bit further from home. And I keep missing busses until I decide to hop onto a new one, that someone tells me about and then goes with me, but it takes me far from home, so I never get home by the end of the dream. This always takes place on the main bus station in my city.

April 10, 2019 at 10:56 pm

Your dreams are manifestations of concerns or worries in your life. Being chased is a sign that you feel there is something in your life that may bring you harm. Falling is often a sign that you feel that something is inevitable. Being late for things, such as a bus, is an indication that you feel as though you are unable to manage your time. All three of these aspects of your dream can be addressed by reducing influences in your life. Take this time to find seclusion, and determine what you want to remove from your life and how you want to behave in the future. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Hi!

Arel

April 9, 2019 at 11:07 am

What does it mean when 2 of you are running away i don’t remember the one with me, running away from someone who is long haired person or a monster i can’t really tell if it’s a girl or a shadow but we were afraid of it and trying to run from it hiding in some rocks and caves

April 10, 2019 at 6:24 pm

Running away from something or being chased in dreams are manifestations of concerns or worries that you may have in your life. If you have similar dreams in the future, then address whatever or whoever is chasing you, as this will reduce the frequency of similar dreams from manifesting in the future. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Arel!

Lucky

March 22, 2019 at 5:45 am

What does it mean if I was shouted upon by my military instructor and then ran away?

March 23, 2019 at 1:10 am

Your dream is a manifestation of your relationship with your military instructor. It is likely that your instructor shouted at you, and this dream is a reflection of that memory. Your decision to run aware in your dream is a sign that you are not interested in maintaining abusive relationships. Ensure that the negative aspects of this dream fades, and share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Lucky!

GoodSpirit

January 7, 2019 at 3:51 am

What does it mean to run away in dreams but there is no chaser! Or Chaser is not clear. It is more like running away from a Dorm or Hostel or from where someone confined you to!

January 7, 2019 at 6:21 pm

If you are running from a place where you have been confined, then your dream may be a reflection of your desire to be free from something that has harmed or oppressed you. You may want to make a change in your waking life. It is possible that you feel uncertain or unsafe in your present situation. Determine what you want for your future and take appropriate action. Have a great day, Goodspirit!

Juvia

November 4, 2018 at 3:37 am

What does it mean when you dream you run away from your crush and he catches you

November 4, 2018 at 7:30 pm

Dreams of running may be reflections of your awareness of a an uncertainty or concern. His behaviors in your dream are manifestations of your thoughts regarding his feelings toward you. The catch at the end of the dream may reveal your desire for this relationship to be nourished. Determine what you want for this relationship. Speak with him about your thoughts and feelings. Have a great day, Juvia!