50 Heartbroken Quotes and Sayings
At some point, just about everyone will have their heart broken. While this common experience is shared among all humans, it can feel like you are completely alone when you go through a break up. After experiencing the heights of love and affection, it can feel like you are going through withdrawal when your lover suddenly leaves you. These quotes are a reminder that other people have been heartbroken, recovered and gone on to love again.
50 Heartbroken Quotes and Sayings
1. “I wish I were a little girl again because skinned knees are easier to fix than broken heart.” – Julia Roberts
Unfortunately, it is much easier to fix a bruised or skinned knee than it is to fix a broken heart. In some cases, it can take years for a broken heart to mend.
2. “I pray that former rejection and deep hurts will not color what I see and hear now.” – Sue Augustine
Once you have been seriously hurt, it can seem impossible for you to love again. Hopefully, you will be able to let go of the betrayal and hurt of your past relationships so that your new relationship can be together.
3. “Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow.” – L. Ron Hubbard
You cannot control what has happened in the past, but you have the power to change the present and the future.
4. “If people refuse to look at you in a new light and they can only see you for what you were, only see you for the mistakes you’ve made, if they don’t realize that you are not your mistakes, then they have to go.” – Steve Maraboli
You are more than the mistakes that you have made. While it is understandable that someone may have problems forgiving you, at some point, you have to move on and forget about it.
5. “Right actions in the future are the best apologies for bad actions in the past.” – Tryon Edwards
When you have been betrayed by someone you love, the only way to earn that trust back is for them to show that they want to change. Just saying that they want to change is not enough. Words are easy, but actions are the hard part.
6. “I have lost and loved and won and cried myself to the person I am today.” – Charlotte Eriksson
This heartbroken quote is true for most people.
7. “Don’t you EVER break someone’s heart because they only have one. Break their bones, they have 206 of those!” – Jay Von Monroe
While this may be true, you should probably abstain from breaking their bones as well.
8. “You can’t give your heart to a wild thing.” – Truman Capote
This sounds like the line from a movie. Does anyone remember which movie it is from?
9. “The saddest thing about love is that not only that it cannot last forever, but that heartbreak is soon forgotten.” – William Faulkner
Even when your heart has been broken, you will ultimately heal and move on. Life is about change, and you cannot stop that change from happening.
10. “’Hearts are breakable,’ Isabelle said. ‘And I think even when you heal, you’re never what you were before.’” – Cassandra Clare
Heartaches have the tendency to change who you are, what you will become and how you relate to other people.
11. “Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option.” – Mark Twain
If you are a second choice or just an option for the moment, then you are not in the right relationship.
12. “Never love that which you cannot keep.” – Anonymous
If you know that the relationship will end for sure, there is no point in falling head over heels in love with someone. Save your love for someone who will always be there for you.
13. “Think about any attachments that are depleting your emotional reserves. Consider letting them go.” – Oprah Winfrey
You can only handle so much stress in your life, so you have to choose what you want to focus on. Is the person that you are with worth the heartache and pain?
14. “Once you had put the pieces back together, even though you may look intact, you were never quite the same as you’d been before the fall.” – Jodi Picoult
This is an extremely true heartbroken saying.
15. “Sometimes the only way the good Lord can get into some hearts is to break them.” – Fulton Sheen
When you experience a break up, it offers you a new lease on life. Instead of pitying yourself, get out there and explore the world!
16. “Stab the body and it heals, but injure the heart and the wound lasts a lifetime.” – Mineko Iwasaki
If you loved someone enough, the heartache that you feel now could be with you for years or decades later.
17. “Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.” – Kahlil Gibran
Unfortunately, the only way that some people learn how much they loved a partner is when that partner is gone. It is far too easy to take someone for granted and realize too late that they were immensely important to you.
18. “I mean, at the end of the day, what the hell does it matter who I end up with if it can’t be you?” – Tabitha Suzuma
Even though you may know someone is a poor choice, it can sometimes seem like they are the only option that is right for you.
19. “I realize there’s something incredibly honest about trees in winter, how they’re experts at letting things go.” – Jeffrey McDaniel
If human beings could learn to let go like trees, they would be spared a lot of heartache.
20. “We are all Romeos looking for our Juliet, but never finding her.” – Rae Hacton
Hopefully, this heartbroken quote is wrong. One day, you will hopefully end up finding your Romeo or Juliet.
21. “They should tell you when you’re born: have a suitcase heart, be ready to travel.” – Gabrielle Zevin
This quote basically means that you should love deeply, but be ready to move on when you have to.
22. “I’m not supposed to miss you, I’m not supposed to care.” – Debra Cox
When you only had a brief fling with someone, it can be surprising that you become attached to them. You are not supposed to care, but you may find that your heart still misses their presence.
23. “You’re gonna catch a cold from the ice inside your soul” – Christina Perri
If you are upset about a break up, this quote may apply to your situation.
24. “Love can sometimes be magic. But magic can sometimes just be an illusion.” – Javan
Love can be both magically and an illusion at the same time.
25. “There are all kinds of ways for a relationship to be tested, even broken, some, irrevocably; it’s the endings we’re unprepared for.” – Katherine Owen
No one is prepared for a relationship to end. You wanted to be with that person, so it came as a surprise that you had to move on and end your dreams as a couple.
26. “Hands that never touch. Lips that never meet. The Almost Lovers, never to be.” – Rae Hachton
This is a very poetic way to talk about a missed chance for love or unrequited love.
27. “Let go. Why do you cling to pain? There is nothing you can do about the wrongs of yesterday. It is not yours to judge. Why hold on to the very thing which keeps you from hope and love?” – Leo Buscaglia
28. “There are a million ways to lose someone you love.” – Tammara Webber
And there is only one way to keep them: be a good partner. Be honest, faithful and there for them when you need them. If it was meant to be, it will happen.
29. “We have to do with the past only as we can make it useful to the present and the future.” – Frederick Douglass
The past is already gone away. The only reason why it matters at all is that it can determine your future. Do not let your past relationships hold you back from finding love.
30. “When trees burn, they leave the smell of heartbreak in the air.” – Jodi Thomas
This is a poetic way to describe the way that heartbreak feels.
31. “The emotion that can break your heart is sometimes the very one that heals it…” – Nicholas Sparks
While love can leave you feeling empty, it can also make you whole again.
32. “No matter how bad your heart is broken, the world doesn’t stop for your grief.” – Faraaz Kazi
Unfortunately, it just feels like the entire world stops for your grief.
33. “What do I have to do to make you see, she can’t love you like me” – Sugarland
Even though you feel like you are the right person, there comes a time when you may have to move on and let your partner date someone who is a worse match than you.
34. “I never wanted but your heart–that gone, you have nothing more to give.” – Mary Wollstonecraft
This poetic quote is saying that you only wanted your lover’s heart and attention. Once that has gone away, there is nothing else that your former lover can do for you.
35. “The heart was made to be broken.” – Oscar Wilde
I have an unfortunate feeling that this may be true.
36. “You can victimize yourself by wallowing around in your own past.” – Wayne Dyer
If you cannot get over your past, you are determined to repeat. Worse still, you may find that you lose both your present and your future.
37. “If you want to forget something or someone, never hate it, or never hate him/her. Everything and everyone that you hate is engraved upon your heart; if you want to let go of something, if you want to forget, you cannot hate.” – C. Joybell
Hatred makes someone leave a lasting scar on your heart. It is far better to give up, forget and move on than to dwell on hatred.
38. “When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us.” – Alexander Graham Bell
This is beautiful and quite true!
39. “So it’s true, when all is said and done, grief is the price we pay for love.” – E.A. Bucchianeri
Hopefully, you will never have to pay that price again.
40. “Hanging on to resentment is letting someone you despise live rent-free in your head.” – Ann Landers
This is a good way to look at resentment. If you really hate that person, forget about them so that they top influencing your life and thoughts.
41. “The past can’t hurt you anymore, not unless you let it.” – Alan Moore
Once the past is over with, the only way that it can keep hurting you is if you continue to dwell on it.
42. “Why did I always end up loving the person who hurt me the most? Why was love so cruel?” – J.C. Reed
Anyone who has dealt with heartache has probably wondered these questions.
43. “Sometimes… Sometimes our hearts…crack a little.” – Brodi Ashton
And sometimes they break a little as well.
44. “I know my heart will never be the same but I’m telling myself I’ll be okay” – Sara Evans
Keep telling yourself it will be okay everyday. Some day, you will forget that it is not okay and start living your life again. Healing takes time, but it will happen.
45. “Sometimes you break your heart in the right way, if you know what I mean.” – Gregory Roberts
If breaking your heart made you realize that your partner was wrong for you, then it was worth it.
46. “There will be a time when you are forced to follow your heart away from someone you love.” – Ashley Lorenzana
While this may be true, I rather hope that she was wrong.
47. “Heartbreak could be lived with if it weren’t accompanied by regret.” – Laura Kasischke
You cannot focus on this regret though, or it will prevent you from truly living your life.
48. “Love hurts worse than getting slammed by a 250-pound linebacker.” – Miranda Kenneally
This may unfortunately be true.
49. “Stop being a prisoner of your past. Become the architect of your future.” – Robin Sharma
Put this heartbroken quote on your fridge to remind yourself every day that you have the power to design, create and build a better future for yourself.
50. “Then his heart, now broken into a thousand pieces, slowly began to turn to ice.” – Morgan Rhodes
Sometimes, people cannot heal from a break up and become bitter. Their heart turns to ice rather than let someone else in. Don’t be that person!
Healing a broken heart takes time. It seems incredible to imagine now, but there will be a day when you no longer wake up or fall asleep thinking about your ex. Until then, focus on yourself and hope that someone comes along someday who actually deserves you.