50 Breakup Quotes and What We Can Learn
Going through a break up can make you feel as though your entire world is falling apart. The person you planned to spend the rest of your life with is no longer being that “person.” Breakups can be devastating. Understand that every person and place in your life has a time and space. What you may not currently understand will make sense one day. Continue reading to gain insight into your breakup that can help you grow not only in relationships with others, but most importantly with yourself.
1. “Like some wines our love could neither mature nor travel.” ~Graham Greene
Some relationships are not meant to be forever unfortunately. Sometimes couples grow apart so that better things can come together.
2. “The only whole heart is a broken one because it lets the light in.” ~David J. Wolpe
When you feel broken during a breakup period, know that it allows you to reevaluate what you want in life and do not want in life. Your next relationship will be much healthier and beneficial to your wellbeing.
3. “He brought out the worst in me, and was the best thing that ever happened to me.” ~Coco J. Ginger
Facing the not so good things about ourselves can change us into who we truly want to be.
4. “After a breakup, it takes a couple weeks for the fog to settle, but it’s always a period of self-priority and growth. Life presents you with so many decisions. A lot of times, they’re right in front of your face and they’re really difficult, but we must make them.” ~Brittany Murphy
Making decisions while in a broken place can make you feel like it is raining on your parade. But, know that decisions and change bring about growth and happiness.
5. “When you break up, your whole identity is shattered. It’s like death.” ~Dennis Quaid
In the past, I was in relationships where I lost myself. I got so caught up chasing his dreams that I forgot my own. And when he was gone and his dream was gone, I was left thinking “Who am I?”
6. “The best way to mend a broken heart is time and girlfriends.” ~Gwyneth Paltrow
I remember going through a specific break up and isolating from my friends. Luckily, I had friends who knew me better then I knew myself. They took me out of the house and got me back into the real world. Sometimes all you need are good friends, good wine, and good ice cream to cheer things up.
7. “Heaven knows we need never be ashamed of our tears, for they are rain upon the blinding dust of earth, overlying our hard hearts.” ~Charles Dickens
Sometimes the world can make you hard. Allowing yourself to be vulnerable helps to soften your heart.
8. “Turn your wounds into wisdom.” ~Oprah Winfrey
This is one of the best pieces of advice I’ve received. After every break up, I always evaluate what worked and didn’t work; so I know more and more what I am looking for in a relationship.
9. “I miss your smile… but I miss mine more.” ~Laurel House
Have you ever been in a relationship with a person that brings so much negativity in your life? I dated a guy who was extremely condescending. Everything I did was wrong. It took some time for me to realize that I did not like the way he talked to me, but when I did, I was done. I deserve to be with someone who makes me smile.
10. “Even on my weakest days I get a little bit stronger.” ~Sara Evans
We all have days where we need to have a good cry. Put on Adele and know that joy comes in the morning.
11. “We must be willing to let go of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ~Joseph Campbell
This was the hardest concept to grasp. Facing reality versus our expectation is the hardest. In your head, you were going to marry this guy, have a big house, and the 2.5 kids. Now, during the break up, it’s gone. Don’t give up hope. Have faith that you will find someone who can give you what you want.
12. “I’ve come to believe that all my past failure and frustration were actually laying the foundation for the understandings that have created the new level of living I now enjoy.” ~Tony Robbins
I love this quote! If you didn’t have heartbreak then maybe you would not know how to appreciate love.
13. “One day they’ll realize they lost a diamond while playing with worthless stones.” ~Turcois Ominek
I have thought this about my cheating boyfriends. Always know that it is not your fault and to never settle for less because you are a diamond. So move forward and shine bright.
14. “Breakups have a way of shaking us awake and helping us see what we really want vs. what we are willing to settle for.” ~Mandy Hale
Have you ever been in a relationship where you feel underappreciated? Know that you deserve what you want. Don’t settle for chopped liver if you want the steak.
15. “Ours was a history of well-intentioned beginnings that end with a fight at every turn.” ~Enver Aysever
If you are constantly fighting with your ex, then it’s time to let go and invite peace in.
16. “It was as if we were having two different conversations. Which wasn’t that surprising after all, as we were clearly having two entirely different experiences of breaking up. His was soft, cushioned; Jude and his friends had broken his fall. Mine was cold, empty and bereft. I was freefalling in space and time, with nobody standing by to stop me hurtling headlong into obscurity.” ~Ruth Mancini
Some break ups can be caused by miscommunication. Were there things you wanted to say but didn’t know how. Take this break as a chance to find your voice; so you do not repeat this cycle.
17. “When he broke her heart, she asked him why. He said: “It broke because it was already in ruins. Your blood vessels are weak and fragile, just like you.” She looked up at him, shaking her head: “A lover never destroys what’s already fragile. He builds it up again.” ~Frauke Heyde
You are what you attract in your life. If you are not happy with someone, then you need to find your happiness and the rest will follow.
18. “When she left, it was like someone had ripped my heart out, crumbled it up like a flimsy piece of loose leaf paper and crammed it back into my chest. It somehow managed to work, but it would never, ever feel the same.” ~Steph Campbell
Accept the fact that you will go through the stages of grief. Some days you will feel together and others you will feel like your world is falling apart. Know that this is perfectly normal. And one day, the sun will shine a bit brighter and you’ll know it is time to move on.
19. “I cannot compromise my respect for your love. You can keep your love, I will keep my respect.” ~Amit Kalantri
Know when you are no longer being respected that it is time to walk away. Do not let anyone treat you less than you deserve.
20. “It can be difficult to leave a long-term relationship, even when our inner-wisdom tells us it’s time to let go. At this point, we can choose let go and endure the intense pain of leaving behind the familiar to make way for a new chapter in our life. Or we can stay and suffer a low-grade pain that slowly eats away at our heart and soul, like an emotional cancer. Until we wake up, one day and realize, we are buried so deep in the dysfunction of the relationship that we scarcely remember who we were and what we wanted and needed to be.” ~Jaeda DeWalt
Some relationships get a place where they can be toxic and you can become complacent with exposing yourself to such unhealthiness. Wake up and know that you have to take a stand for your own emotional wellbeing.
21. “Just because a relationship ends, it doesn’t mean it’s not worth having.” ~Sarah Mlynowski
You know you have forgiven your ex when you are able to send them positive thoughts. It was an experience that taught you many valuable lessons.
22. “The remedy for life’s broken pieces is not classes, workshops or books. Don’t try to heal the broken pieces. Just forgive.” ~Iyanla Vanzant
Forgive the brokenness inside and healing will follow in suit.
23. “Never regret. If it’s good, it’s wonderful. If it’s bad, it’s experience.” ~Victoria Holt
I previously said to be thankful for the experience. There was a lesson you needed to learn.
24. “If you are a woman living, you’ve been done wrong by a man.” ~Oprah Winfrey
And this saying can be vice-versa. If you have ever risked being in love, then you have risked being hurt. The pain stings, but the lesson lies deeper.
25. “Sometimes things fall apart so better things could fall together.” ~Marilyn Monroe
Marilyn was on point with this quote. If you see things around you crumbling, know that God has a better plan. So hold on tight.
26. “The longer you are with the wrong person, you could be completely overlooking the right person.” ~Taylor Swift
Sometimes we spend so much time trying to make things work with a person who does not even care about you; we perhaps overlook the ones who really do care. Take an inventory of your relationships and let go what is weighing you down.
27. “It’s better to break your own heart leaving, rather than having that person break your heart every day you’re with them.” ~Anonymous
Be fearless. Never let fear get in the way of you getting what you desire.
28. “A breakup is like a broken mirror. It’s better to leave it than hurt yourself trying to pick up the pieces.” ~Anonymous
While picking up broken pieces you can get cut and seriously hurt. Likewise, if you keep giving second and third chances. A person shows you who they really are the first time.
29. “I can still love an ex as a person, regardless if the breakup was bad. I would never wish anything negative on them. It takes more energy to hate them than to wish them well.” ~Ashley Greene
You are allowed to not like something an ex did, but do not hold onto anger in your heart; it will spill into your next relationship.
30. “Patience is key for getting over a breakup. That, and trailing off your interaction after the breakup.” ~Drake
Being patient with yourself is a must. Studies show that it can take two to three years to completely get over an ex and move on. Take your time and allow your heart to heal.
31. “I just always have to cry out a breakup, and then I can make peace with it pretty quickly.” ~Brittany Murphy
Anytime I cry, I always feel so much better. Have a good cry and find the peace you need.
32. “When in times of turmoil and breakup, do not cut or shave your head, because it will never end well.” ~Christine Lakin
This literally has me laughing out loud. I went through a break up and cut and dyed my hair. Unfortunately, my hair was super short and turned orange instead of blonde. Lesson learned.
33. “Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart.” ~Washington Irving
Know that the love you give will come back to you but it may be in a different form and from a different person.
34. “Letting go has never been easy, but holding on can be as difficult. Yet strength is measured not by holding on, but by letting go.” ~Len Santos
I have never had a problem with forgiving, but forgetting does not always come naturally. Let it go or you will be stuck in the past.
35. “Holding on is believing that there’s only a past; letting go is knowing that there’s a future.” ~ Daphne Rose Kingma
The present moment is all you have. If your heart is breaking, let it break. If your heart is ready to move forward with a new person, then be open to love again.
36. “Some of us think holding on makes us strong, but sometimes it is letting go.” ~ Herman Hesse
I have seen so many friends stay in bad relationships because of the comfortability. Be brave and willing to let go and find someone who appreciates you for you.
37. “Sometimes there are things in our lives that aren’t meant to stay. Sometimes the changes we don’t want are the changes we need to grow.” ~Anonymous
Change never comes easy to anyone. I have been through so many changes in my life from moving across country to new relationships. But, if you make it through the bumpy patches, it is so worth what’s on the other side. Your ex may be moving out of the way so you can make room for new people who are going to come into your life.
38. “If you feel like your ship is sinking, it might be a good time to throw out the stuff that’s been weighing it down. Let go of people who bring you down, and surround yourself with those who bring out the best in you.” ~Anonymous
Let go of the old and embrace the new. You deserve to be with someone great.
39. “You can allow yourself 72 hours of wallowing time. Then you’ve got to get into the gym, stop eating the ice cream and move on.” ~Jennifer Love Hewitt
Do not let heartbreak break you down so far that you lose who you truly are. Keep yourself first and a priority. The best is yet to come.
40. “I deserve to be happy and I think a lot of people stay in relationships for wrong reasons and instead of just looking at each other and just saying, ‘you know, it’s like sands of the hourglass, we learned our lessons, we can end in war or we can end in peace.'” ~Jenny McCarthy
This is a very wise statement. Don’t settle for someone who always argues with you or treats you less than you are worth. Choose peace every time.
41. “When I was first going through my separation, someone said to me, ‘It will take you half as long as you were in the relationship before you’ll feel better.’ And I wanted to knock them out cold across the table. Because, of course, I was in agony. And the last thing I wanted to think was that I was going to stay that way for a long time.” ~Uma Thurman
As I stated before, allow yourself the time needed to get over an ex. The last thing you want to do is repeat the same mistakes and live the same relationship over with a different partner. Take time to heal. When it’s time to move forward, you will feel it deep down in your soul.
42. “You’ve got to love yourself first, and until you value yourself enough and love yourself enough to know that, you can’t really have a healthy relationship.” ~Jennifer Lopez
Back when I was a counselor, I would ask my clients the difference between a healthy relationship and an unhealthy relationship. When you clearly define what healthy means to you, you start to evaluate all relationships around you. If you find you are not being treated the way you want to be, then evaluate how you treat yourself. You set the standard for everyone else.
43. “Everybody has bad relationships and, at the end of the day, they are just a great way to set yourself up for a good relationship.” ~Anne Hathaway
I love the saying you must kiss a few frogs in order to kiss a prince. I think this is true. You have to go through a few relationships to find out who you are and then you will seek someone who has similar qualities.
44. “I always dressed nice. I don’t think he ever saw me in sweatpants. I love sweatpants! I own so many! I always tried to be well-dressed and well-mannered, and I always tried to please everyone around him. And I’d always go to his places and his favorite restaurants or whatever. And there was a point where I kind of lost myself completely. I didn’t smile as much, I didn’t laugh as much, I wasn’t a goofball, I didn’t get up and dance like I usually do. And when that one ended, it was just horrible. Because I didn’t know where I was. But I got that back, and I was really happy — and my family was happy to have me back!” ~Selena Gomez
We have no clue who she is referring to. Most believe she is talking about Justin Beiber. However, I am surprised that she has such wisdom for her age. And, I totally get where she is coming from. In relationships, if we are not careful, we can lose who we are. I remember giving up my Friday night Zumba class for a boyfriend because that was his one night off. I remember giving up going to college at one university and choosing another to be closer to my boyfriend. Set limits. Always do what you want to do and everything else will fall into place. Be true to yourself.
45. “It’s not that I didn’t love myself before. Sometimes we don’t realize that we are compromising ourselves. To understand that a person is not good for you, or that that person is not treating you in the right way, or that he is not doing the right thing for himself – if I stay, then I am not doing the right thing for me. I love myself enough to walk away from that now.” ~Jennifer Lopez
Break ups not only allow us to evaluate how we are treated in relationships, they allow us the opportunity to love ourselves on a deeper level.
46. “You shouldn’t have to break yourself and move your pieces. If he was designed for you, he would fit.” ~Della Hicks-Wilson
Allow yourself to try your puzzle pieces elsewhere.
47. “It may be hard now, but things will get better. It might be stormy now, but it can’t rain forever.” ~Anonymous
Always hold onto hope. Always believe there are rainbows at the end.
48. “The end was a beautiful start to a new beginning.” ~Anonymous
What will your new beginning be?
49. “Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.” ~Mark Twain
Forgive not only your ex, but also allow forgiveness upon yourself.
50. “Learn to trust again. Whenever you get involved in a relationship, you know there’s a risk. Don’t let a bad experience keep you from living your life to the fullest. You can go through life suspicious, or loving and laughing.” ~Dr. Phil McGraw
Open your heart every time and invite love to come in.
Going through breakups are never easy, but sometimes we go through things in life that give us invaluable lessons and introduce us to ourselves again. My hope is that anytime you are feeling gloomy during your breakup, you will pop open this list of quotes and it will not only make you feel better; it will lead you to introspective insights to help you learn to love again. Sometimes the things we need to love again is not just a new relationship, but ourselves.