50 Long Distance Relationship Quotes
Being in a long distance relationship can be one of the most difficult things in the world. All you want to do is be with the person that you love, and you can’t. Before I married, I spent a year in Taiwan while my husband was in the United States. We made it through the year, but that did not make it easier. Relationships that can withstand distance are typically relationships that are better able to withstand the tests of time later on. If you are dealing with distance, you can use some of these quotes to boost your spirit or send to your partner.
1. “This is the sad bed of chosen chastity because you are miles and mountains away.” -Erica Jong
Truer words were never spoken. While other couples get to hold hands and spend some “alone” time together, you are stuck staring at a Skype screen and counting down the minutes to your next online chat.
2. “The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.” – Helen Keller
If anyone would know about not being able to see or hear, it would have to be Helen Keller.
3. “If you listen to the wind very carefully, you’ll be able to hear me whisper my love for you.”-Andrew Davidson
This is a different remake of the idea that even though we are apart, we both gaze up at the same moon.
4. “I’ll turn my back and walk away, away from the pain. Scream it loud, drown it out by the sound of the rain. Listen up, I’ve had enough all this waiting. I need you more right now than I ever did!” -Hawthorne Heights
When you are in a long distance relationship, being able to talk online or on the phone to your boyfriend matters more than ever.
5. “Contrary to what the cynics say, distance is not for the fearful; it’s for the bold. It’s for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love.”-Meghan Daum
Everyone around you may say to break up or give up on the long distance relationship. Only the truly bold and confident can continue.
6. “When you feel alone, just look at the spaces between your fingers, remember that in those spaces you can see my fingers locked with yours forever.”
This sweet quote would be an ideal message to send your boyfriend or spouse.
7. “I carry your heart with me (I carry it in my heart).” -e.e. cummings
On the list of poetry about long distance relationships, this one is one of the best.
8. ”Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture the heart.” -Ancient Indian Proverb
This is a much better way of saying that you should look for love, not lust.
9. “And ever has it been known that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.” -Khalil Gibran
If you are tired of the cliché, “absence makes the heart goes fonder”, try this quote on for size.
10. ”Together forever, never apart. Sometimes in distance, but never in heart.” -Anonymous
If you are looking for something cute and poetic, this is the quote to use.
11. “Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night. I miss you like hell.” -Edna St. Vincent Millay
Edna St. Vincent Millay was one of America’s greatest poets. In this quote, she perfectly nails how it feels to be in an LDR.
12. ”Distance means so little, when someone means so much.” -Anonymous
This sentiment may be true, but it does not make being apart any easier.
13. “I believe in the immeasurable power of love; that true love can endure any circumstance and reach across any distance.” -Steve Maraboli
Agreed! Love can conquer all things if you let it. If you feel like the relationship is worth it, make sure that you put the effort into it.
14. ”Remember how far you’ve come, not just how far you have to go. You are not where you want to be, but neither are you where you used to be.” -Rick Warren.
As you progress in a long distance relationship, it may seem like the end is never drawing closer. Don’t give up hope. Someday, somehow, you will finally be with your loved one again.
15. “Our hours in love have wings; in absence, crutches.” -Colley Cibbe
The imagery used in this long distance relationship is great and perfectly encapsulates how it feels.
16. ”Some people can be so close to you even if physically far, they walk with you and stay near in every moment of your life.” -Senora Roy
When you love someone, it feels like they are always with you. Distance, death or time cannot change that fact.
17. “I imagine a line, a white line, painted on the sand and on the ocean, from me to you.” -Jonathan Safran Foer
Poetic and beautifully put, this is one of my favorite quotes about long distance relationships.
18. ”I can’t text you roses, or fax you my heart. I’d email you kisses, but we’d still be apart. I love you to pieces, and just wish you’d see that I care for you so much because you mean the world to me.” -Mahmoud El Hallab
If you are looking for something to embroider on a pillow or hang on the wall, this may be the quotation for you.
19. “The scariest thing about distance is you don’t know if they’ll miss you or forget about you.” -Nicholas Sparks, the Notebook
This quote certainly rings true. At times, you may secretly wonder if your partner misses you as much as you miss them.
20. ”Blow ‘o wind to where my loved one is. Touch him and come touch me soon. I’ll feel his gentle touch through you and meet his beauty in the moon. These things are much for the one who loves. One can live by them alone: that he and I breathe the same air and that the earth we tread is one.” -Ramayana
For an extremely old, poetic quote, Ramayana’s quote is the one to use.
21. “Love reckons hours for months, and days for years; and every little absence is an age.” -John Dryden
This quote rings true for long distance relationships and puppy dogs that wait for you at home. Hopefully, both situations are quickly resolved.
22. ”Absence makes the heart grow fonder, but it sure makes the rest of you lonely.” -Charlie Brown
Who doesn’t want to quote a cartoon character? He may be 2D, but Charlie Brown has a point.
23. “I don’t cry because we’ve been separated by distance, and for a matter of years. Why? Because for as long as we share the same sky and breathe the same air, we’re still together.” -Donna Lynn Hope
Although this is a nice way of thinking about it, it is not strictly true. Someday, you will be together again and that will make everything worth it.
24. ”Love knows not its depth, till the hour of separation has arrived.”
Basically, if you can outlast a long distance relationship, your relationship will be in good health.
25. “Waiting does not bother me, nor does the distance that is cropping up between us. All I want is a true commitment and to know that your heart will never change.” -Ting Stores
When you have a lifetime to spend together, a few months or years apart is nothing.
26. ”I didn’t want to kiss you goodbye that was the trouble; I wanted to kiss you goodnight. And there’s a lot of difference.” -Ernest Hemingway
Once you are living together some day, you can start kissing your boyfriend good night instead of good bye.
27. “Some of the toughest things in this world are to really want someone and not have them around you. Those are the times when you don’t know what to do. All you can do is wait.” -Tamara Louis
Waiting can be one of the hardest things to do. While you try to stay busy with other things, you cannot help missing the person that you love.
28. ”No matter how far you are, I will wait for you until we can finally be together.”
As long as both of you agree with this sentiment, the relationship is bound to last.
29. “Love knows no distance; it hath no continent; its eyes are for the stars.” -Gilbert Parker
Beautifully written, this is one of my favorite long distance relationship quotes.
30. “Sometimes you have to be apart from the people you love, but that doesn’t make you love them any less. Sometimes you love them more.” -Nicholas Sparks, The Last Song
Another take on “absence makes the heart grow fonder”, this quote has a valid point. When I was apart from my (now) husband, it certainly brought our relationship into focus. I felt like I appreciated him more and every wonderful nuance of his personality loomed large in my mind.
31.”In true love, the smallest distance is too great, and the greatest distance can be bridged.” -Hans Nouwens
Even a short distance can seem insurmountable when you want to spend every moment with your lover. Fortunately, the distances can be surmounted as long as you love them.
32. ”Waiting is painful. Forgetting is painful. But not knowing which to do is the worst kind of suffering.” -Paulo Coelho
If you are not sure if you should stay together or separate, this quote is intended for you.
33. “Absence sharpens love. Presence strengthens it.” -Thomas Fuller
Basically, this quote means that you notice your love more when you are apart, but your love grows when you are together.
34. ”I fell in love with her when we were together, then fell deeper in love with in the years we were apart.” -Nicholas Sparks, Dear John
For some people, time apart can cause a romance to weaken. Other couples find that their relationship only grows stronger when they are not together.
35. “As contraries are known by contraries, so is the delight of presence best known by the torments of absence.” -Alcibiades
Wonderfully put, this quote is an excellent way to say that you notice the wonders of your boyfriend’s presence by how much you miss him when he is not there.
36. ”Be the success story you’re looking for. Be the ones to survive your long distance relationship. Be the inspiration for others to follow.” -Dee King
Everyone seems to have something to say about long distance relationships—and most of it is not positive. When my husband and I were apart, everyone told us that the relationship would ultimately end and we would drift apart because of the distance. Now, we live in the same country and five years have passed. Your relationship can last if you want it to. Be the success story that others mention when they talk about long distance relationships.
37. “Love is missing someone when you’re apart, but somehow feeling warm inside because you’re close in the heart.” -Kay Knudsen
Cutely written, this quote happens to rhyme nicely. If you wanted something to post or list as your screen saver, this is an excellent quotation to use.
38. ”The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again.” -Charles Dickens, Nicholas Nickleby
Once the long distance portion of your relationship is drawing to a close, nothing feels better than meeting up with your partner again. In those moments, the years of separation will fall away and you will be together again.
39. “Your absence has not taught me how to be alone; it has merely shown me that when together we cast a single shadow on the wall.” -Doug Fetherling
In some religions and cultures, marriage makes you one soul and one body instead of two. This quote illustrates the same point. Being a couple is a way for you to cast one shadow and be one person.
40. “But I must admit, I miss you quite terribly. The world is too quiet without you nearby.” -Lemony Snicket
Sometimes, it is not the number of people we talk to, but who we talk to. If you don’t get to be near that special someone, the world can seem to be a very quiet place.
41. “Absence is to love as wind is to fire; it extinguishes the small and kindles the great.” -Roger de Bussy-Rabutin
This quote is extremely true. If your relationship wasn’t meant to be, distance will cause it to end. For true love, a long distance relationship is just a temporary setback.
42. ”The longer the wait, the sweeter the kiss.” -Unknown
I am not sure if this quote is entirely true, but it sounds like it could be accurate.
43. “It’s not the distance that’s the enemy, but the endless time I have to wait to hold you in my arms.” -Besski Livius
Another true quote. It could be a 30 minute drive or 10,000 miles. What matters is that you are apart—the distance does not make a difference.
44. ”It feels good to think about you when I’m warm in bed. I feel as if you’re curled up there beside me, fast asleep. And I think how great it would be if it were true.” -Haruki Murakami
How many LDR couples have cuddled a pet or a pillow and wished that it could be their lover lying in their arms?
45. “Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness.” -Albert Einstein
Einstein may be smart, but he is wrong. You are apart and cannot hold each other, but this is a nice way to think about the situation.
46. “I miss you even more than I could have believed; and I was prepared to miss you a good deal.” —Vita Sackville-West
These words ring true for anyone who has ever been in a long distance relationship.
47. “How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard?” -A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh
Another completely accurate quote, Milne has a point. You may have to be apart from your boyfriend, but you are still lucky. How many other people exist that have never found their soul mate?
48. ”There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” -Gandhi
This long distance relationship quote is the perfect size for an email or text message.
49. “Distance does not break off the friendship absolutely, but only the activity of it.” -Aristotle
True, but that does not make it any easier.
50. ”Love will travel as far as you let it. It has no limits.” -Dee King
If you are willing to commit to a long distance relationship, it is entirely possible for your relationship to work. There are no limits that can be placed on love.