What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone You Don’t Know?

By on September 4, 2017

When you dream about someone you know, you have a place to start interpreting the dream. They may have appeared because you like them or because they represent a certain kind of quality that you want to have in your waking life. When you do not know the person who appears in your dream, it can be extremely disconcerting. You see them in your dreams, but you can’t tell what they mean because you have never met them in real life. There are a few reasons why you may have an unknown person appear in your dreams though.

dreaming about someone

Your subconscious creates the dreams that you have each night. Currently, neurologists believe that the neurons in your mind fire at random. The images, memories and thoughts that are released are jumbled and completely random. The story in your dreams is put together by the rest of your mind when you wake up and the mind tries to make sense of your dreams.

This is one possible reason why random people appear in your dream. You may have seen them on television or in line behind you at Starbucks. You never consciously noticed them or thought about them, but their image was imprinted into your memory. Because of this, you dreamed about them and your mind just tried to make sense of the memories later on.

Filling a Void

If the neurologists are wrong, your dreams have a subconscious meaning of some sort. If they do, then perhaps your mind is trying to fill some subconscious need, desire or fear. If the person is positive in your dream, you may want to have someone happy and supportive in your real life. If they are chasing you, you may fear that an unknown force or person is working against you. If you dream about an unknown person being your lover, it may represent a desire to have a new romance or increased passion in your life.

It is very easy to believe that the person you see in your dreams is real. It is actually possible that they could be real because you may have seen them at random in your real life. At the same time, they are not someone with a deeper meaning. They give the meaning to the dream, but they themselves mean very little. If you dream of falling in love with an unknown person, it is highly unlikely that you will ever meet them in real life. Instead, they are just someone your subconscious chose to use to represent a feeling, situation, person or something else.

Aspects of Yourself

Sometimes, the people who show up in your dream just represent one of your personality traits or an aspect that you want in your life. For example, you may feel like the entire world is out to get you. Nothing seems to go right. Friends and family members you once trusted have betrayed you, and you are constantly criticized at work. In this scenario, you may dream that an unknown stranger arrives to help you and protect you. This is not because that stranger is actually going to appear in your life. Instead, it is just a sign that you want someone who will help or protect you. Your subconscious was unable to choose someone else to fill the role because you do not have someone like that in your present environment.

In other cases, the dream represents an aspect that you would like to have. Perhaps you are the type of person who works 9 to 5 at a respectable, stable job. You are a dutiful spouse and parent, and you are always on top of things at home. You may dream that a fun, playful person appears in your dreams. This may happen as a representation of the qualities you want in your waking life. You want to have spontaneous experiences and fun, so your subconscious mind lets you experience things in your dreams.

There are times when a stranger appears in your dreams to make you question your waking existence once again. It can be extremely hard to analyze your own thoughts and habits. Sometimes, the only way to gain perspective is when someone else does or thinks the same things. The person in your dream may be a mirror reflection of yourself. It may be a chance for you to wake up, realize the changes that you want and go for them.

Dreams can be extremely, extremely subjective. Because of this, it is important to look at your own dreams and analyze the feelings, people and experiences that occur. By analyzing your dream, you can figure out how it reflects on your own life and subconscious mind. With that knowledge, you can decide what it means when you dream about someone you don’t know.

Stephanie

February 26, 2020 at 11:31 pm

I had a dream where i was at school and there was this complete stranger who kept like attacking me, putting his hand in my neck like simulating he was going to choke me, he got a pencil and kept like poking me with it, he grabbing my things, kept staring at me. it was creepy because i didn’t know him what does this mean

February 27, 2020 at 6:37 pm

Dreams about being attacked are often manifestations of concerns or worries that you may be navigating in your life at this time. If you have similar dreams in the future, then be certain to address the person within your dream about their purpose. This will help you understand the reason behind their presence within the dream.

Deborah

February 26, 2020 at 6:38 pm

I had a dream about a man who I don’t know in waking life but in dream was out at night having a drink and food after. He was married but we were having a really great night but he felt more of a friend than lover. There was another guy in the dream as well an older guy and we all walked home together after night out. We were all laughing and messing about, the first man was extremely attentive and really lovely to me and felt safe and happy with him. The dream was almost repeated in the same dream but at the end of the night the older man went home and me and the first man stayed out a bit longer. We walked home and we took a different direction to the first night. When we got to his street he sent his dog with me to look after me until I got home. Then there was also a little small child (girl) who wanted to come back with me and stay…I felt that it was his daughter. He text me to make sure I got home ok!!What are the meanings.

February 27, 2020 at 6:43 pm

Your dream could be a reflection of various social relationships that you may be maintaining or that you might be interested in nourishing. You are aware that there is no benefit in attempting to nourish a romantic connection with someone who is married. Make a decision about what you want for the future. You will draw positive people and energy into your life by sharing your kindness and compassion at all times.

Abbony

February 25, 2020 at 6:04 am

Okay so, I have this person in dream ever since I was in high school and every time I dream about him it was like our relationship are progressing from dating and now we already have a child ? I dont know. He’s blurry, but the feeling and sensation are REAL, very real that I thought we just met somewhere but I dont know him. I want to know the reason behind this or it is just me ?

February 25, 2020 at 4:04 pm

These dreams are manifestations of your social and emotional desires. The person within your dream may be a reflection of various qualities that you may find attractive in a partner. You may be interested in having a child, and it seems that you are looking for a serious relationship. Share your kindness and compassion with the world, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life.

Z

February 24, 2020 at 9:06 pm

I have a nightmare where I was looking in at room where I saw that guy who everyone sees in their dreams face and then this black and white pic of some guy but it made me scared as crap.. what’s that mean for me?

February 25, 2020 at 4:05 pm

The person who you saw within your dream may be an amalgamation of various qualities that you believe are shared by many dreamers. It seems that the black and white aspect of this dream caused you to feel concerned. If you have similar dreams in the future, then address your concerns within this dream with the person who appeared. This will give you greater insight into the purpose of your dream.

Veronica

February 24, 2020 at 3:45 am

I just woke from a dream where I was a waitress at a fine dining restaurant and at first was having a hard time getting things to my customers. Very frustrating and common dream for me and anyone who has ever been a server before. But the weird part was this guy I worked with. We would pass each other while working many times and there was a strong sexual vibe between him and I. We obviously had something going on. The even stranger part was I knew his first and last name! I dont know anyone in real life with this name! I woke up and immediately searched his name on Facebook because it was so strange. I didnt find him. Such a crazy and realistic dream!!

February 24, 2020 at 6:55 pm

This dream could be an indication of your social and emotional desires. The appearance and qualities of the man within your dream may be an indication of various qualities that you may find attractive in a partner. Ensure that this dream guides you to to share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life.

jo lly

February 23, 2020 at 3:59 pm

what does it mean to have a dream where you aren’t in it and no one you know is also in it and you haven’t watched any similar movies like the dream

February 23, 2020 at 6:06 pm

The dream that you described may be an indication of your thoughts regarding the influences in your life. It is possible that this dream may be a reflection of the media that you have consumed in your life. Ensure that you share your positive energy with the world, as this will bring you many benefits.

jolaika

February 23, 2020 at 3:56 pm

February 23, 2020 at 6:07 pm

Anon

February 23, 2020 at 6:43 am

I have just woke from most amazing dream, I was at a house I do not know the house was full of people I didn’t know in real life but hit on with amazingly in the dream I was sat on a sofa when an amazing woman sat on myknee facing me and started telling me she needed a boob job becouse her 2yr old son had made her huge boobs sag she so much wanted a boob reduction she said she we talked and cuddled as if knowing each other my hand was close to her boob and I felt it I reassured her she didn’t need any work done she was perfect as she was she kissed me we hugged up some more she felt my rising passion against her but cheeks she said she was going to come visit me but had an etrend to do first, then I woke up but I had the biggest smile on my face when I did then reality hit lol, plz interpret the dream for me someone thanks

February 23, 2020 at 6:35 pm

This dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. Your thoughts within the dream are clear indications that you are a considerate individual. You are interested in maintaining a mature relationship with any future partner that you may have. Ensure that this dream guides you in a positive direction, as you will find many benefits in sharing your kindness and compassion at all times.

Key

February 22, 2020 at 7:11 am

I had a dream that I was at a house party and a guy I’ve never met before, told me he knew my boyfriend, and asked me “what about your health?” When I tried to ask him what he meant he just kept walking away from me.

February 25, 2020 at 4:39 pm

This dream may be a reflection of various social relationships that you may have in your life. Within the dream, the topic of your health was brought up. This could be a sign that you are concerned about your health. Take this time for yourself, and determine if there is something that you need to do. Nourish your relationship with your partner by spending additional time together in person.

Lola

February 21, 2020 at 12:45 am

I dreamt that I am in a very happy and romantic relationship with a guy (unknown). We are very passionate and adore each. It was kind of like young love. Then all of a sudden we are not in a relationship. I am hurt and crying. The reason of him not being in my life is unclear though. However, I don’t despise him.

Soon after, I fall in love with a friend of his and mine. Again, he is unknown. We are happy, but different kind of happy. Like content happy. Then one of his friend (unknown girl again) provokes him against me. He gets distant and I am sad again. Crying, I confront him about it. He apologizes and asks to forgive him. But I am sad to hear him and leave (it was kind of theatrical Hahah) but yes I woke up with crazy emotions.

February 25, 2020 at 5:09 pm

Your dreams seem to be manifestations of various social and emotional aspects of your life. The men who appeared in your dreams are likely amalgamations of various qualities that you may find attractive in partners. Take this time to determine what you want for your future, and take appropriate action. You will draw positive people and energy into your life by sharing your kindness and compassion at all times.

Unknown

February 19, 2020 at 2:32 pm

I dreamed about a guy that i welcome into my life, it felt sooo real (the guy’s face is blurred) and then i woke up

February 25, 2020 at 5:43 pm

This dream is a manifestation of your social and emotional desires. His blurred face may indicate that you are uncertain about who you would like to maintain a relationship with. Take this time to determine what you want for your future, and take whatever action that you feel is appropriate.

JAZZM

February 18, 2020 at 11:46 pm

I dreamed about a guy but i can’t see his face clearly. I can’t remember other situations aside from welcoming him into my life. But one thing’s for sure, it feels so real.

February 25, 2020 at 5:51 pm

These dreams are indications of your social and emotional desires. The uncertainty regarding his face could be a sign that you are unsure about who you want to maintain a relationship with. Determine what you want for your future, and take appropriate action.

Anonymous

February 17, 2020 at 9:55 pm

I just woke up having a dream about a stranger that I’ve never met in my life.
    So I was shopping and he saw me by the window he started following me through the window and then all of the sudden I see him right beside me (he was a tall guy, from a strange city, we talk different languages).
    I asked him what does he want, he said that he wanted to marry me, I told him that if he wants so, then he must bend the knee and kiss me and did so!! (I was marries so I freaked out). I asked him why would he do that and he said that he liked me through a post i published is social media. I then asked him which post, he said the one about which color I have the most and then he saw a monkey photo there.
    The strange person took the clothes and paid, i noticed he took a nice socks so i tried to take them as a memory, he didn’t agree and at last turns out he came with someone i know from work and my mother was waiting for me in the dressing room.
    Weird! 😂

February 18, 2020 at 7:16 pm

The person who appeared in your dream may be an amalgamation of various qualities that you may find attractive in a partner. Within the dream, his behaviors may reveal your desires regarding your relationship. The presence of your mother could be a sign of her influences on your life.

jer

February 20, 2020 at 9:53 pm

i had a dream of this girl didnt know who she was… or why i had so much emotion for her… but i did i remember that i love her with every thing. in my dream she said “there are 3 clues to me, she showed me a bmw card and then the dream ended.

February 25, 2020 at 5:11 pm

Your dream may be a reflection of your social and emotional desires. Her appearance may have been an amalgamation of various qualities that you find attractive in a partner. The clues could be an indication of the type of relationship or life that you are interested in pursuing. Make a decision about what you want for your future, and take appropriate action.

Mara Talleda

February 16, 2020 at 12:27 pm

Had a dream where my cousin and I were walking out in like a big stairwell?? And all of a sudden a guy I’ve never met joins us. Some conversation ensues with my cousin and him, and my cousin proceeded to tell me they used to date. My cousin and and I walk a little ahead and I tell my cousin “dang he hot tho” and she turns around says his name loudly and tells him what I said. He kind of just chuckled and gave me a flirty look. My cousin and I finished walking through the hall and the guy disappeared and I told my cousin “why did you do that?!” And she didn’t respond. Later I’m eating at some huge table with kids at a school I suppose and some New guy sits next to me. He’s clearly flirting, but befo I could respond to New guy, my cousins ex shows up and sits bedside me also. Then new guy gets up and leaves. We proceeded to start hanging out and then began dating. One other thing happened, but I’ll summarize and say he basically judged me a bit in front of my family. Granted I did act immature. Plz help tell me what it means!!!!

February 16, 2020 at 7:24 pm

The dream may show that you wish that you could be with someone, but you don’t feel like you’d be able to actually make a move on your own. Because of this, your cousin is the one who pushes you into making a move in the dream. The fact that the guy rejects you at the end of the dream may show all of your worst fears coming true about making a move on someone.

Luz

February 16, 2020 at 5:08 am

I had a dream that I went to this special event with my mother and 2 younger brothers, A man was talking about them having a new life opportunity or something. I didn’t want to be there, I would constantly get up and wander to avoid being there because I was starting to get bored.i remember it was my mom’s idea to bring us, and my siblings were getting antsy too,and sooner or later they were up and running around. Alot of people I knew were there, but I didn’t really talk to them. They were just there. So I was sitting on this couch,a little bit farther away from the event when the attention had been turned behind me were there appeared to be a bunch of people dressed in elegant clothes, and were dancing. A few moments passed and I remember looking around the room and this very tall elegant guy walks in the room, he of course attracts attention, but as soon as I see him, I can’t look away. I see him make his way behind me and join the dance party and starts dancing with this very beautiful girl, and I still can’t keep my eyes off him. In the very end when “the event” is over, I’m sitting alone Waiting for my mom and he walks up to me and smiles, sitting next to me. And I remember him telling me that next time he sees me, he wants to dance with me. He told me that he wanted to see me again. I’m not really sure what that means but he kind of looked similar to the other guy in my dreams. Always the tall, and black hair. But I’m this dream I can see his face

February 16, 2020 at 7:32 pm

The dream may mean you want a romance of some type, but it may also just mean that you want to be admired. A tall, attractive guy dances with the most beautiful girl in the room, but then he decides that you are a better option. At some point, most people want to find someone like this and be admired in that kind of way. Hopefully, you will one day meet someone like him in your waking life as well.

JAZZ

February 14, 2020 at 3:17 pm

I dreamed about someone i don’t know personally, just the name. He is a friend of my classmate and then he wants me to be his girlfriend, he wanted to hang out so i changed my outfit but suddenly my dad is outside our house then that someone said that he is my boyfriend and asked if he can be with me that day then i started hiding ’cause i’m scared (because i’m not open to my parents about being in a relationship) but he waits soooo long. Then i woke up

JAZZ

February 14, 2020 at 3:22 pm

I dreamed about someone i don’t know personally, just the name. He is a friend of my classmate and then he wants me to be his girlfriend, he wanted to hang out so i changed my outfit but suddenly my dad is outside our house then that someone said that he is my boyfriend and asked if he can be with me that day then i started hiding ’cause i’m scared (because i’m not open to my parents about being in a relationship) but he waits soooo long, and i wanted to go with him so bad. Then i woke up.

February 14, 2020 at 4:57 pm

The dream just shows that you want to be with the guy you like and have a relationship, but you are afraid of how your parents will respond. Even though you aren’t dating and don’t really know the guy in real life, your subconscious probably chose him to play the role of your boyfriend because he asked you out in your waking life. Now, you just have to decide how you will respond and what to do about telling your parents.

February 14, 2020 at 4:57 pm

Lisa

February 14, 2020 at 6:18 am

I have constant dreams about an old friend there were issues in between and we went our ways. It’s been roughly 4 years and every so often I have dreams with her. Our activities Changes per dream but I can see her face clearly. I feel satisfied While having these dreams. Most of the dreams are just new moments being experienced. We even hold Very short conversations.

February 14, 2020 at 1:13 pm

These dreams are reflections of your previous social and emotional relationship. The two of you have parted ways, so it may not be viable for you to reach out to her. If these dreams cause you to feel impelled to make the decision to reach out to her, then make decide if you feel whether or not it would be appropriate for you to do so.

celine

February 13, 2020 at 11:51 am

i had a dream i have a debate about bible with a guy who i don’t know..
    and i won the debate because he is so stupid. and i don’t like him..

and then i see him become my old friend boyfriend.. and i ignore them..

then i meet a new unknown guy that is handsome.. he is caring me and help me.. then i meet a unknown girl she is become my friend..

February 13, 2020 at 8:07 pm

Perhaps the dream is trying to tell you that you want to be smarter and better than your old friend, boyfriend and other people. You want to meet someone handsome and caring as well as someone who can be your friend, which is why you met the guy and girl at the end of the dream.

Kezia

February 13, 2020 at 4:20 am

I saw that someone was watching me from the window…. and the place was not familiar and that person was someone whom I never met

February 13, 2020 at 8:01 pm

Perhaps you feel like people are watching you when you don’t even realize it, and you feel as if you are being judged in silence by the people around you.

Rose

February 12, 2020 at 3:54 pm

I had a dream about an unknown guy was my classmate in the dream and I knew that he secretly loved me. Then, I went to the bookstore with my other friends including him as well. I saw a blue pen which was so beautiful and I wanted it but I put it back to its place. We all went back to the class then, surprisingly, he brought me that pen and gave it to me then, he confessed his love to me. When he was about to leave, I came up from my seat and hugged him at the back tightly.

February 12, 2020 at 4:35 pm

The dream seems to show that you want to find someone who cares about you and wants to be with you. YOu may want to find someone who will make a move, shower you with gifts and really care for you, so your subconscious mind created someone who could play that role.

Rose