What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone You Don’t Know?

By on September 4, 2017

When you dream about someone you know, you have a place to start interpreting the dream. They may have appeared because you like them or because they represent a certain kind of quality that you want to have in your waking life. When you do not know the person who appears in your dream, it can be extremely disconcerting. You see them in your dreams, but you can’t tell what they mean because you have never met them in real life. There are a few reasons why you may have an unknown person appear in your dreams though.

dreaming about someone

Your subconscious creates the dreams that you have each night. Currently, neurologists believe that the neurons in your mind fire at random. The images, memories and thoughts that are released are jumbled and completely random. The story in your dreams is put together by the rest of your mind when you wake up and the mind tries to make sense of your dreams.

This is one possible reason why random people appear in your dream. You may have seen them on television or in line behind you at Starbucks. You never consciously noticed them or thought about them, but their image was imprinted into your memory. Because of this, you dreamed about them and your mind just tried to make sense of the memories later on.

Filling a Void

If the neurologists are wrong, your dreams have a subconscious meaning of some sort. If they do, then perhaps your mind is trying to fill some subconscious need, desire or fear. If the person is positive in your dream, you may want to have someone happy and supportive in your real life. If they are chasing you, you may fear that an unknown force or person is working against you. If you dream about an unknown person being your lover, it may represent a desire to have a new romance or increased passion in your life.

It is very easy to believe that the person you see in your dreams is real. It is actually possible that they could be real because you may have seen them at random in your real life. At the same time, they are not someone with a deeper meaning. They give the meaning to the dream, but they themselves mean very little. If you dream of falling in love with an unknown person, it is highly unlikely that you will ever meet them in real life. Instead, they are just someone your subconscious chose to use to represent a feeling, situation, person or something else.

Aspects of Yourself

Sometimes, the people who show up in your dream just represent one of your personality traits or an aspect that you want in your life. For example, you may feel like the entire world is out to get you. Nothing seems to go right. Friends and family members you once trusted have betrayed you, and you are constantly criticized at work. In this scenario, you may dream that an unknown stranger arrives to help you and protect you. This is not because that stranger is actually going to appear in your life. Instead, it is just a sign that you want someone who will help or protect you. Your subconscious was unable to choose someone else to fill the role because you do not have someone like that in your present environment.

In other cases, the dream represents an aspect that you would like to have. Perhaps you are the type of person who works 9 to 5 at a respectable, stable job. You are a dutiful spouse and parent, and you are always on top of things at home. You may dream that a fun, playful person appears in your dreams. This may happen as a representation of the qualities you want in your waking life. You want to have spontaneous experiences and fun, so your subconscious mind lets you experience things in your dreams.

There are times when a stranger appears in your dreams to make you question your waking existence once again. It can be extremely hard to analyze your own thoughts and habits. Sometimes, the only way to gain perspective is when someone else does or thinks the same things. The person in your dream may be a mirror reflection of yourself. It may be a chance for you to wake up, realize the changes that you want and go for them.

Dreams can be extremely, extremely subjective. Because of this, it is important to look at your own dreams and analyze the feelings, people and experiences that occur. By analyzing your dream, you can figure out how it reflects on your own life and subconscious mind. With that knowledge, you can decide what it means when you dream about someone you don’t know.

Jessica

February 3, 2020 at 4:59 am

I keep having this dream about a family. Each family member is hiding their own set of secrets. I don’t know any of the people but yet feel connected to them. Each time that I have this dream it give me more detail but I still don’t understand why I’m having this dream in the first place.

February 3, 2020 at 7:56 pm

You are aware that every individual has a past. It is possible that you know that everyone in your family has secrets, and this dream is a revelation of those feelings. Ensure that you allow this dream to guide you to share your positive energy with the world. This will help you navigate your life in a successful manner.

JCDG

February 2, 2020 at 4:04 pm

I’m in a relationship for almost 4 years now. But this past few weeks I keep on dreaming about a girl. We we’re together as lovers in my dream, I even sometimes dream about her just her. Smiling. Last night’s dream was longer and more vivid. It’s actually mind blowing. And I know I haven’t met her, it’s impossible that I have, because I don’t even go outside that often. And if ever I subconsciously bumped into her or saw her in my peripheral vision I should’ve known.

February 3, 2020 at 8:15 pm

You are in a committed relationship, so allow this dream to fade. If you are not satisfied in your current relationship, then make a decision about what you feel is appropriate. Regardless, allow this dream to guide you to share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy toward you.

Jayjay

February 1, 2020 at 7:13 am

I had a dream of a guy that I’m with him comfortable and seems like I know him but his face is blurd and I can’t see it

February 1, 2020 at 6:05 pm

It is entirely possible that your subconscious mind just created this guy to represent the kind of guy you would like to meet. His face may be blurred in the dream just because you don’t actually know him. Often, the subconscious mind will create a random person to take on the role of a love interest in your dreams if you don’t have someone who can actually play that role yet.

shina

January 31, 2020 at 8:29 pm

I saw some people in my dream that I know well and i tried to call them to talk to them but they don’t know me
    one even got angry with me for calling him the name I know him as in my waking life
    please this dream is scary

February 1, 2020 at 6:08 pm

The dream seems to show that you feel like the people around you don’t always hear you or listen to what you have to say. Thankfully, a dream only represents your subconscious thoughts and feelings, so there it is unlikely that this exact situation is going to happen in real life.

Kay

February 3, 2020 at 7:12 pm

Last night I had a dream about a guy who I am not even friends with. I met him through my cousin he is a Pastor and he came to me in my dreams. He is also single and a single father. In my dream he came to me with a daughter and he wanted me to help him raise her. This was so random and I have no idea why I dreamed about him. I only talked to him twice on the telephone in which he was helping me pray through a situation. My guess is that because he was the last male that I was able to share something really personal with is the reason he appeared in my dream but I kept waking myself up and every time I would fall back to sleep she would appear in my dreams.

February 3, 2020 at 7:53 pm

You may be interested in maintaining a relationship with this person. Make a decision about what you feel is appropriate for the future. If you feel that it would be appropriate to nourish this relationship, then speak with him about your thoughts and feelings.

Cee

January 31, 2020 at 4:25 pm

I had a dream where I was in another town, facing a trouble and I wanna go back to my hometown but on my way to the bus station I met this guy named Danny that I’ve never seen before and all of the sudden he delivered me to my hometown which also happens to be his hometown. I stayed at his home for a week because I couldn’t go back to mine as the trouble might find me there. We fell in love in the dream but in the end he sort of realized that his love wasn’t real as if he was hypnotized and he walked away and I couldn’t call his name cus there were lots of people in that place and I woke up.

February 3, 2020 at 8:28 pm

This dream is a manifestation of various aspects of your life. It is possible that you are interested in returning to your hometown due to various social concerns that you are navigating. You may find that a stressful emotional relationship is impacting your decisions.

Random

January 31, 2020 at 5:44 am

So i had a dream a few nights ago, and I can remember the phases completely (in a sense).
    1st: I was walking around in a theater/cinema looking for the school group I was attached to, since this was a trip to somewhere.
    2nd: I end up at a left turn corridor on the second floor of the cinema. There were 2 clown models that looked like the typical scary clown. After seeing them, I decided to turn around and walk back down the hallway, which was dark. I mumbled to myself and quickly turned around, not scared but expecting the props to have moved. They didn’t.
    3rd: I’m in a bar/bistro where I find a girl with blue eyes and black hair, she recognized me as one of the students that got lost before. She was a similar age to me and we left the bar. I did recognize my brother in the bar but that was after the dream with no reaction to him.
    4th: me and the girl were in a park at night, chatting and having fun. Something happens with this dude who sticks a sparkler in the back of his pants and runs off. Me and the girl decide to leave and head back to the building.
    5th: I’m in a shower and things got intimate with her.

I remember having a dream with that Same girl a while ago and I don’t recognize her from anything at all. This dream was much more different and obscure. But that’s all I got.

February 3, 2020 at 8:39 pm

Your dream is a reflection of a wide variety of influences in your life. It seems that you re navigating your social relationships and making a decision about who you want to nourish connections with. It seems that you may be interested in maintaining a romantic relationship with a woman in your life, so ensure that you share your positive energy at all times.

Samantha

January 31, 2020 at 3:57 am

I had a dream before about a man who is also the same age like me and this is what happen on my dream I was walking in the lobby of our school and then someone grab my wrist and he talk to me but my personality on my dream is I’m a cold person and I’m very quiet but the guy always talk to me since that day he grab my wrist and then he always follow me wherever I go but I just keep ignoring him but then one day I became comfortable with him and I’m always happy whenever he is around and when he is about going to say something to me I woke up but I don’t know him at all but I remember that he has a towering height and white skin with a husky voice but I don’t know him at all.

On the same day I had a dream again I’m going home already and I was waiting for a cab but someone startled me and I’m very shocked because on that dream I had a boy bestfriend and he ask me where am I going and I said I’m going home and he said that exactly I’m going to your house to I’m going to talk to your mother and I’m confused because why is he going to talk to my mother? and then we are taking the cab alredy and suddenly he grab my hands and intertwined with his and I’m very shocked and confused because why is he going to do that because he’s just my bestfriend and I said that the others might think that we are lovers but the truth is we are just bestfriend and he said to me that let them be and then he smiled and then I woke up. I’m just confused about my dream because first of all I don’t have any boy bestfriends all of them are girls and all the guys on my dream I don’t know them at all really so I just want to know the meaning of my dream and this two dreams I just dreamed them in just one day thank you.

February 1, 2020 at 5:55 pm

The first dream almost sounds intimidating. It seems like you may face obstacles in your waking life, or you feel like there is someone or something near you that doesn’t have your best interests at heart. Meanwhile, the second dream makes it sound like you want to have a relationship. You may want a relationship with your best friend, or your subconscious may have just chosen him as a placeholder for the guy you would like to meet because you are so close to each other in your waking life.

Samantha

January 31, 2020 at 3:55 am

On the same day I had a dream again I’m going home already and I was waiting for a cab but someone startled me and I’m very shocked because on that dream I had a boy bestfriend and he ask me where am I going and I said I’m going home and he said that exactly I’m going to your house to I’m going to talk to your mother and I’m confused because why is he going to talk to my mother? and then we are taking the cab alredy and suddenly he grab my hands and intertwined with his and I’m very shocked and confused because why is he going to do that because he’s just my bestfriend and I said that the others might think that we are lovers but the truth is we are just bestfriend and he said to me that let them be and then he smiled and then I woke up. I’m just confused about my dream because first of all I don’t have any boy bestfriends all of them are girls so I just want to know the meaning of my dream and this two dreams I just dreamed them in just one day thank you.

February 1, 2020 at 5:56 pm

Samiah o jones

January 31, 2020 at 1:04 am

So I just had this weird dream (I’m still in school) I saw this boy at lunch just looked at him for a bit he was cute then I go home and I have a dream about him and it was like we were ex-friends and he had a thing against me and then he was doing something illegal and I tried to take the stuff away from him and he got on top of me…and then everything changed like we were in a bathroom a big one and he was crying cuz his cat died so I gave him a origami cat and then he said he liked me and then I woke up.

February 3, 2020 at 8:47 pm

It seems that you are navigating unhealthy social relationships and your knowledge of violence. Allow the negative aspects of this dream to fade, and ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will draw positive people and energy toward you.

El

January 30, 2020 at 12:32 pm

I recently met a guy called Andree that my friends want me to go on a date with but I’m so worried about dating and commitment. I drempt that I had a boyfriend and he broke up with me and Andrew was the guy who was there to comfort me. What could this mean? Do I like Andrew?

February 3, 2020 at 10:50 pm

Your dream is a reflection of various social and emotional relationships that you are navigating. Take this time to determine what you want for your future. As long as you are in a relationship, you should not attempt to nourish a romantic relationship with anyone else.

Ryan

January 29, 2020 at 7:13 pm

Hi there, so iv’e had a recurring dream of sorts since i was a child. The dreams sometimes have different settings but they always involve the same person. When I first started having the dreams I believe I was 8 or 9 years old. From what I remember in the first dream I was sitting on my bed in the dark. Everything was fine and nothing felt unpleasant until i looked across the room and saw a young girl (about the same age as me as far as i can remember) shivering on the floor just sitting there. In the dream I look at her and see that she is soaking wet and extremely scared of something. Our eyes meet and for a very short moment I feel like she is asking me to help her but as soon as i attempt to do anything I would immediately wake up in a cold sweat and be bombarded with the emotions she was feeling. I had this same dream once or twice a month and each time I would wake up having what I now know may have been panic attacks.
    Those dreams stopped after a few months all of a sudden and I didn’t have any more until i was in my early teens. Then one night i had a dream involving the same girl again (now a few years older) involving the same scenario where I see her still crying and scared. The only difference this time is the setting of the dreams would vary with each one. I would still not be able to move as soon as i decided i wanted to help her and would still wake up in fits not being able to catch my breathe or stop crying. This time around the dreams were much more sparse with me only having them once a few months until i was around 15 years old and they just stopped again until i was 18.
    When I was 18 I only had one dream involving her but this time it was completely different. In this dream i was running through alleys in a large city (I have no idea where) chasing after someone. I don’t really remember much about chasing them but when i caught up I turned them around and it was the same girl I had seen in the other dreams. This time, she was still crying but she had a huge smile and just radiated happiness. As soon as I realized who it was for some reason I just wrapped my arms around her and then just woke up. This time however, I didn’t wake up the same way I had for all the other dreams involving her instead, I was extremely sad and just laid there and cried for a long time. I spent most of that day thinking about it and really feeling like I had lost something really important to me. To be honest just typing this out has made tear up thinking about it.
    I still have the dreams once or twice a year now 5 years later and still wake up in a fit each time. I don’t know why these dreams started or why its the same girl in every single one throughout the past 14 to 15 years but oddly enough after having the “good” dream Iv’e found myself wanting to have more dreams with her to try and change something. Iv’e even attempted lucid dreaming (to no success) just to see if I could learn more or change something. I don’t know why but at this point I feel attached to this mystery person and i think I’d be sad if I never had the dreams again. Iv’e never really talked to my parents about them because they just called it a nightmare when I was young but I don’t see them as one. A few of my close friends know about the dreams after having been woken up by me gasping and balling my eyes out when we would stay over at each other’s places and have talked to me about them a number of times. For whatever reason when I talk to them about the dreams i always get really emotional and choked up. Nowadays, I will randomly think about her in real life and wonder if I’ll ever get the full story (which is actually how I found this post). I don’t know if there’s anything behind these dreams or not but i would like to find out one day… do you have any takes on this?

February 3, 2020 at 11:40 pm

This person may have had a powerful influence on your distant past. You may feel that this connection extends powerfully between the two of you. These interactions should influence you to look inward. Take this time to determine what actions you could take that could support her. Regardless of who she is, she will be benefited by you sharing your kindness and compassion at all times.

T.N.N.

January 29, 2020 at 3:58 pm

I’ve been having dreams of spending quality time with different girls.
    1. One of the things I can remember because this was awhile ago was that in the dream, we were at an event. She changed into a sundress and proudly showed it to me. So I decided to take a picture of her in that dress even when there was a lot of people; even though I don’t like being public about it.
    2. I met a girl whom I knew from the past, I can’t remember her face but it felt like I knew her. Anyway, we somehow met at this place (can’t remember). She recognised me first then we started talking. She had a baby. I love babies. In the dream, her baby really liked me. The baby didn’t even wanna go back to her mother. After we went back, she posted pictures of us on Instagram with the caption “happy :)” and tagged me. Then I texted her saying it was a really nice surprise (it being her). To me, it felt like it could’ve been something more but she was married and she had a baby.
    3. There was also once where I dreamt that an old guy friend surprised me at work with Starbucks. I wouldn’t have recognised him if he didn’t introduce himself. But when I sat opposite the guy, my ex boyfriend came sitting at our table, saying that they know each other. Weird huh…

January 29, 2020 at 4:20 pm

The dream may represent the qualities or goals you want in your waking life. For example, babies are often representative of a major change or a fresh start in life, so perhaps you want a new start in life. Your ex-boyfriend saying that he knows the old friend in your dream may mean your subconscious is trying to tell you that they are more similar than different.

EMMALOUISE HARRIS

January 29, 2020 at 3:09 am

Had a dream about a son that I never had , about the age 5 or 6. Weird because he looked like my mate and I. We have a daughter but no son together. In the dream me and him had a conversation, I turn to talk to someone else and he accidentally got on the bus without me. But I caught up to the bus but then I woke up.

January 29, 2020 at 3:57 pm

This dream may be an indication of your connection with a memory or experience that you have had regarding children. Ensure that this dream guides you to behave in a manner that would cause this son to feel honored.

Saku

January 27, 2020 at 11:03 am

Had a series of 3 dreams.
    1: was walking with my current irl crush and she showed me my contact name on her phone, forgot what it was but I clearly rmb she was smiling and I was happy.

2: me and a girl was dancing in an empty room and laughing and giggling afterwards

3: me and girl from no.2 having dinner with others, I pulled her chair closer to mine and she lay her head on my shoulders whilst using her phone.

Weird part is that, I dreamt about the girl from 2&3 about 6 years ago, in the dream, we both ran to each other and gave a very warm tight hug.

Idk what to feel about this .-.

January 27, 2020 at 6:52 pm

The dream just shows that you want to find someone to care about and who likes you back. The crush appears in your first dream because you are hopeful that she might like you, but perhaps the reason she doesn’t appear in the other dreams is because you don’t feel certain that she actually likes you back in your waking life. You can always hope though!

Xochitl

January 26, 2020 at 9:31 pm

I dreamed that I had been stranded on a road with my family and we were offered to stay with a family so we took the chance but while at the house I fell in love with their son while the other son liked me causing the brothers to fight and I eventually choose the younger brother whom I liked.At the end of the week I had to continue the trip and me and the guy had fallen in love. What does this mean?

January 27, 2020 at 7:26 pm

The initial portion of the dream seems to show a fear that you and your family may come to harm. The second part of the dream seems to show that you want to find some kind of love or romance in your life. Unfortunately, there is no way to know from a dream if you can or will meet a guy like this in your waking life. You can always hope though!

Lock

January 26, 2020 at 2:04 pm

I dreamed about someone i dont know but we were in love. And she left me even he loved me. I had nothing to do i just let hee go away. Right now i feel like im doing terrible mistake. Cause i just broke up my girlfriend.

January 26, 2020 at 7:25 pm

You feel that you made a mistaken, but it is decision that you have made. It seems that you should learn from this experience and apply that knowledge to your future relationships. Make a decision about what you want for your future, and take appropriate action.

Grant

January 26, 2020 at 11:47 am

I just had this dream about a girl who I had just met and we instantly fell in love with each other. It’s just weird because I’ve never met this girl but like it was literally love at first sight. I’m basically dating someone right now so it made it more weird seeing someone else I fall in love with.

January 26, 2020 at 7:41 pm

As long as you are in a relationship, you should not to attempt to maintain a relationship with anyone else. If this relationship becomes viable in the future, then speak with that person at this time. Nourish your emotional relationship with your partner by spending additional time together.

Gracia

January 25, 2020 at 6:04 pm

I dreamt of a person I don’t know much but I loved for so long. He died last year and I saw him in my dream sitting next to me on a bench in a park. He was talking to me really closely and we were having a pleasant time. I can’t remember what we were talking tho

January 25, 2020 at 9:37 pm

After someone passes on, it’s normal for your subconscious mind to wonder what would have happened if things had been different. Most likely, this dream occurred because your subconscious mind is experimenting with what life would have been like if you had made a move and you had dated each other while he was still alive.

Missy

January 23, 2020 at 6:55 am

Hi, I had a dream about every man I’ve been with leave me and my recent ex was getting married and I was too in the same church. Side by side with the same preacher and he was polite to my ex and his new lover and turned to me and introduced my new lover with a Derogatory name and I turned to him and comforted him and told him don’t worry I love you. And he just looked unbothered and with me saying it’s ok. I’m soo confused in my dream

January 24, 2020 at 11:40 am

The dream seems to show a recognition that the people you’ve been with before ended up leaving you, and you want to find someone who will be willing to commit to you and be with you for good. You may think they wouldn’t get along, which may be why the derogatory name occurred in the dream.

André J.

January 21, 2020 at 6:16 am

I just dreamt of a lady I sometimes see in passing while she’s working at a local grocery store again. I don’t know her and I feel like that’s the last place to be expressing to her how I feel. I, a guy that she doesn’t know telling her she’s the prettiest lady I’ve ever seen? Nope, plus I don’t think it’s worth it, she could be taken or hates me…I dunno how to approach her and I always get nervous

January 21, 2020 at 6:15 pm

Perhaps you could just give her a handwritten note with your number on it and a short message telling her you’d like to meet up for dinner, but you don’t want to bother her, so she can message you back if she is interested. That way, the choice is hers and it doesn’t feel like you are harassing her at work.