What Does It Mean If You Dream About Someone You Don’t Like?

By on September 10, 2017

When you dream about someone you don’t like, it can be disconcerting. You know that dreaming about someone you like is because you hope that they could like you back. Dreaming about a dead relative or friend may show regret or a wish that they were still there. But what does it really mean when you dream about someone you don’t like?

The Answer Lies in Your Subconscious

Your dreams are created by the subconscious mind. When you are asleep, this part of your mind activates to create dreams based on your thoughts, feelings, memories and desires. Sometimes, these dreams are completely random as the mind sends through random images. Other times, the dreams have a deeper meaning. They may represent current difficulties in your life, your desires, warnings and relationships from your past.

Interpreting your dream is not always easy. Each person is highly subjective. They have unique memories and experiences that play a role in their dream. Because of this, it would be quite difficult to apply the same interpretation to every dream.

What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone You Don’t Like?

There are many common interpretations for why you would dream about someone you don’t like. We will cover some of the most common meanings that occur in your dream.

1. You Really, Really Don’t Like Them

Strong feelings tend to appear in your dream. While you hate thinking about this person, they are firmly cemented into your subconscious mind. When you have strong feelings about anything, it basically creates a fixed, strong memory. Your constant thoughts about the person makes it more likely that you will dream about them. Even though you do not like that person, they are more likely to appear in your dreams because of your hatred. If you can learn to let your hatred go, then they are more likely to disappear from your dreams.

2. They Represent a Feeling

Think about the person who appeared in your dream. Even though you do not like them, they may represent a certain feeling or desire. You hate them, but that does not mean that they are not intelligent, cunning, hard-working or many other qualities. They may have appeared in your dream because you wish you had their focused ambition, workaholic nature or natural cunning. Think about what qualities they represent and figure out the feeling or desire that they might symbolize.

3. You Want to Heal the Relationship

People naturally want to be liked. It can be extremely difficult to constantly be around someone who does not like you. If you don’t like someone, there is an excellent chance that they do not like you as well. You may dream about someone you don’t like becoming your friend, talking to you or going to an event together. This may happen entirely because you don’t like them, but you wish that they would like you. You may want to heal the relationship and stop living with a constant, ongoing feud.

4. You Fear a Danger

There are a number of potential meanings behind this type of dream, but one common interpretation is danger. If you dream about someone you don’t like lurking nearby you, then it may mean that you feel like a danger is lurking nearby. You may feel like someone or something close to you could betray you or act maliciously.

5. It Shows How You Feel

Your subconscious mind often shows how you feel through symbols. For example, when you are happy, independent and feeling invincible, you dream of flying. Flying is the symbol of independence and invincibility, so your subconscious uses it in the dream to show how you feel.

In comparison, your more negative dreams may show different symbols. Think about what the person you don’t like represents. If you dislike their ethics or attitude, it may be this attribute that your subconscious may represent. Perhaps they seem like a traitor and someone who would betray a friend. In this scenario, your subconscious may use them to warn you that a traitor may lurk in your midst. This person might not be the same as the one in your dreams, so you may need to be especially careful in your waking life.

Interpreting Your Dreams

You are the person who would be best able to interpret your dreams. Your subconscious mind deliberately includes people, images and things from your present. These aspects are all designed to show your current life, thoughts, feelings and desires. Because of this, it is important for you to look at your dream and figure out how it could relate to your waking life.

While a dream about someone you don’t like can be unnerving, it happens all the time. Many people have experienced this type of dream, and it is nothing to worry about. All you need to do is figure out what it could mean, and then you can figure out the best way to use that type of information.

Nadia

February 9, 2020 at 6:15 pm

I had a dream that I was in love with a boy I’ve never met in real life and we were kissing in a secluded part of a swimming pool. Then this girl I don’t like in real life comes over and disrupts us, I think she was jealous. Then we were all racing in the pool? It was so confusing. What does it mean?

February 9, 2020 at 9:15 pm

You may have had the dream because you wish that you could find someone to be with who you care about and who is passionate about you. The girl in the dream may have been there just because you dislike her and think that she would try to get in the way of your happiness. Whatever the case, a dream can only represent your subconscious thoughts, feelings and desires, so it’s unlikely that this scenario will be actually happening in your waking life.

Gabby

February 1, 2020 at 4:47 am

I had a dream that a guy I have a strong distaste for and would never date ever asked me out. In the dream I had to lie to my mother and tell her I was just hanging out with friends and I wasn’t going anywhere else. When I asked my guy friend who i’m very close to and usually is my kind of protector in situations where I can’t stand up for myself in the dream why he was doing this, my friend responded “it’s because he likes how you’re just quiet all the time and you listen to everything anyone says” or something like that. I remember some of my other friends were in the dream and we were laughing about it and they were telling me to not follow through but the dream ended with me arriving at the date spot and my friends leaving me alone with this guy after walking with me there. After I woke up I was so uneasy and had a bad feeling. This guy in question is very demanding and entitled. What does this mean?

February 1, 2020 at 6:10 pm

Perhaps the dream just shows that you would like to have someone to care about you and protect you in your waking life. Your subconscious mind may have just chosen this guy at random to play this role in your dream, so it doesn’t mean you are secretly attracted to the entitled guy in question.

Rebecca

January 29, 2020 at 10:18 am

I have dreams about someone that assaulted me still liking me? Because as before he assaulted me he complimented me all the time. I don’t want to dream about him at all because he makes me mad and I have a boyfriend but I’m never really mad at him in my dreams.

January 29, 2020 at 3:33 pm

This person was abusive, and it is good that he is no longer part of your life. If possible, allow thoughts of him to fade. If you have similar dreams in the future, then address him about his presence within your dream. Focus your emotional energy on your partner, as this will nourish your relationship.

beck

February 15, 2020 at 10:12 pm

I had a dream of seeing the girl that I dislike very much, and having a conversation about the situation I’m in.
      Which is that she hates me for hurting my then ex-boyfriend and now once again current boyfriend(her friend). There was two sides of the story, and as it turns out, was a big misunderstanding. In the dream I had with her she had asked,”So what happened?”. She only knows my boyfriend’s side of the story (in the real world). I then told her my half of it and after I was finished she had a more understanding tone in her actions. We then became close in the dream.
      I’m wondering if it was me wanting her to know my side of what happened rather than her decide I am a bad person after I hurt my boyfriend emotionally who vented to her about our relationship issues. We have never spoken in person.

February 16, 2020 at 7:43 pm

I think your interpretation of the dream is spot on. It definitely sounds like your subconscious mind wishes that she could understand both sides to the story, especially since she hasn’t actually heard both sides in your waking life.

jasmine

January 15, 2020 at 10:17 am

Hey, can you interpret this dream and what it means, It’s not the first time dreaming about it! This dream is of me in a forest surrounded by nothing but trees and a beautiful but somewhat intimidating waterfall, with a big wooded house standing on pillars facing the waterfall. In the beginning of my dream It always starts with me enjoying my time with certain family members who I don’t have great relationships with and then near the end of the dream I always seem to find myself alone in the forest where Im being chased by a wolf that never stops terrorizing me.

January 17, 2020 at 2:27 pm

Perhaps you enjoy your time with these family members because you wish that your relationship was different in real life. The lone wolf may reflect the fact that, currently, you’d rather go alone than be with these family members. The waterfall may be a reminder that it is through joining together like each of the water droplets that we gain strength, and connecting with your family members can help you be stronger than ever before.

Sonali M M

January 7, 2020 at 4:23 pm

I have a repetitive dream 3 times in this week where I have seen my bro in law n his wife who I have broken ties with. Since my in laws do not accept me the way I’m n they keep Comparing me n my husband about how successful they are & I’m not given the respect that I deserve. When the fact is that we are doing better in our lives. Today’s dream I was wearing a green saree.. n speaking to MIL.. suddenly my bro in law n his wife appeared on their Royal Enfield bike.. I thought they would talk to me but they dint.. then my BIL’s wife’s friend appeared n they discussed about some event they have to attend… she changed her clothes to denim jeans n shirt got on the bike n left… in the meanwhile I changed to a white, black, blue n green colour printed saree (gifted by my best friend which I gave away to someone else since I dint like it)… n asked m hubby if we could leave for the day.. but he asked me to wait for sometime.. after sometime we left this place.. dec’18 my BIL had approached me to get things sorted but before I could reply he left & since then no contact…

January 7, 2020 at 10:09 pm

The dream is probably just a reflection of how you feel about her in real life such as the way you feel like she waltzes into your life and spends all of her time comparing her life to yours.

grace

January 4, 2020 at 5:04 pm

i keep having romantic dreams about a boy who I used to go to school with, I currently am in love with someone else and its making me scared because i’m worried I have feelings for this boy because he keeps appearing in my dreams. when we went to school with each other, we didn’t even talk to each other, in fact I completely forgot about him until he started appearing in my dreams. also, when I wake up after the dream, i’m not 100% sure whether it was him in the dream or my love but I have a gut feeling that it was him each time. the bit that unnerves me the most is that I like the dreams… I just cant wrap my head around why he is there and not the boy i’m in love with. Please help?

January 5, 2020 at 9:45 am

It may be entirely random or from just memories of him getting mixed in with your other memories. It is easy to feel like you like someone after you dream you do, but dreams aren’t the same as real life. I’d be very careful about confusing dream feelings for real-life feelings because it definitely sounds like you aren’t interested in him in your waking life.

Chng

December 29, 2019 at 1:32 am

What does it mean if i dream about a guy confessing to me in my dreams? (Is someone i know in real life but isnt close to he was in the same school as me ) he actually tried to kissed me but i woke up in the end

January 2, 2020 at 4:10 pm

He may have been a placeholder for someone else in your life. If there is someone that you want maintain a relationship with, then speak with them.

Hailey

December 27, 2019 at 9:05 am

I had a dream that I said I liked I girl that I don’t in real life, and she said that she likes me too.What does it mean? Do I like them?? Does she like me?

December 27, 2019 at 10:09 am

It may mean you just wish that someone loved you or paid romantic attention to you in real life. While you may be attracted to her in real life, it is also entirely possible that the dream merely occurred because you want someone to be with in your waking life–not necessarily her.

Amanda Leslie

February 4, 2020 at 8:51 am

I just woke up to having a dream about my late grandmother whom was in a wheel chair for most of her life but in my dream she was young and walking again and I went to tell her I bought a head stone fir my grandpa whom passed away years before her and then all of a sudden my mom and dad and siblings showed up and started to attack me and my grandma was trying to save me but she couldn’t.

February 5, 2020 at 3:27 pm

The dream seems to show that you miss your grandmother, and you accept that she has passed on to be with your grandfather. The fact that other people attack you in the dream may just reflect your need to have your grandmother’s love and support in your waking life, which is no longer possible. Seeing her young and healthy in the dream may indicate that you hope she is free of pain and youthful again now that she has passed on.

Quess

December 27, 2019 at 6:44 am

I keep having dreams about someone who used to be best friends with me. In the dreams he is completely emotional detached from me but tries to show off that he’s living lavish to me or that he has a bunch of friends.
    This has been happening on and off for the past 2 years since we ended our friendship. Could this mean he’s thinking about me? And why can’t I get him out of my dreams? It’s like regardless of what I do he always shows back up.

December 27, 2019 at 10:12 am

You were once best friends, so it makes sense that he would keep appearing in your dreams. Even if you no longer think about him, you still have a deep emotional connection that you remember. Your subconscious may also be sending you these dreams because your subconscious mind wants closure and wants to know how everything turned out or if he misses you too.

April

December 17, 2019 at 9:48 am

I had a dream that the girl my boyfriend cheated on me with showed up at the same place with me, but I greeted her with a hi. Shortly after I walked away.

Monika

December 16, 2019 at 2:44 pm

I had this dream about a guy i hate and randomly i was dating him and soon i was his girlfriend. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!?

January 5, 2020 at 10:31 am

You have strong negative feelings for him, and this dream could have switched your feelings toward him. He may have been a placeholder for someone else in your life.

Megan Bradford

December 16, 2019 at 10:23 am

So my best friend Likes this guy and hes kinda cute but I don’t like the way he acts he’s rude and cusses a lot. In my dream we were all out of town and my best friend the guy and me had a room and when she went to the bathroom (they were on the bed and i was on the floor) he came on the floor to me and I said “I don’t know what we could do” and he said “I could touch you” he then lay down and begin to touch me which gave me major butterflies because i’m a virgin who hasn’t been touched when he slid his hand in my pants we heard the bathroom flush and he got back on the bed and my best friend never knew anything happened the next day he wasn’t in there and we went to the store and my best friend was like the other dudes here (trying not to use names is hard) and we went and found him he looked at me and smiled and i smiled and he mouthed “don’t say anything” and i mouthed “i know” then we watched some movies and i woke up. plz plz plz help me figure out this dream.

January 5, 2020 at 10:34 am

It seems that you are interested in maintaining a physical relationship with someone, and it is possible that your friend’s partner and you share a connection. Don’t attempt to maintain a romantic relationship with him.

Tina

December 13, 2019 at 3:17 am

I had a dream about this guy in my class, who I have seen so many times throughout highschool (we’re in college now and study the same thing)who I’ve never liked. But in this dream we were standing in a busy line and suddenly he hold my hand, I looked at him and he asked me what it was between us. I told him the truth that I just don’t like him, but now just a lil bit. Still don’t like him, and he laughed. Other than that there is this guy, I am kind of seeing, he was standing just behind me rubbing himself on but the minute the dude I don’t like grabs my hand I pushed the guy I’m seeing away a bit from me.

January 5, 2020 at 11:22 am

It seems that you are navigating your social and emotional relationships at this time. There is someone in your past that you are not interested in, and there is someone else that you are nourishing a connection with. Take this time to determine what you want for your future at this time.

Nothere

December 5, 2019 at 10:55 pm

I had I dream that I was in a relatipnship with a person I don’t really like. What does that mean?

January 14, 2020 at 12:31 pm

Your feelings regarding this person influenced your dream. This doesn’t mean that you are developing feelings for them, but it is possible that you are seeing qualities of them that you were previously unaware of.

Tsholo

December 5, 2019 at 9:55 pm

I dreamt of a person I don’t like in real life, performing something in my dreams and at the same time that person was holding/cuddling me

January 14, 2020 at 12:31 pm

Anshuman Mohanty

November 30, 2019 at 11:35 am

I had a dream of a girl who is currently my classmate in college and we share too many differences that we hardly talk.
    2 days ago on her birthday i had a dream that i was talking to her in quiet a soft and lovable manner lying next to her.
    This feeling was so strange that i straight away wake up.

January 20, 2020 at 3:21 pm

You may want to find a romance or fling with someone in your waking life, so your subconscious mind chose someone at random to play the part. While you may actually like this girl in your waking life, it is also possible she was just chosen at random by your subconscious.

Mary

November 27, 2019 at 9:43 am

I keep having dreams of friends I stopped talking to in highschool. I just cut everyone off and moved on to college met new friends. But in particular an old best friend use to cause me alot of anxiety and I continue to see her in dreams and its stressing me out I reached out to see how she was doing in 5 years and she came off standoffish which is normal since we havent talked in years. However I dont want to keep seeing her or others highschool was not a good time for me and caused me anxiety any ideas how I can stop seeing them?

January 21, 2020 at 7:29 pm

Eventually, these dreams will go away on their own. Sometimes, it just takes time. A part of your mind may wonder what happened to her and wish that the relationship hadn’t ended how it did, which is probably why these dreams keep appearing.

Kalon

November 27, 2019 at 2:14 am

Hi,I had a dream that I was arguing with my mom( we have a great relationship so it was strange for me) and then when I was running away from her, I got into a minor accident and was saved by a person I disliked but the weird thing is that I don’t relate with that person during years and wasn’t even remembering the person before.

January 22, 2020 at 8:17 pm

The running in your dream could be a sign of a stress that you are managing. You were saved by the person that you didn’t like within the dream, and it is possible that you are feeling that you need to nourish your social relationships.

C

November 13, 2019 at 2:21 am

So about a year and a half ago I went to this girls house, and she harassed me. I haven’t talked to her at all sense because I don’t want to. I hate her, and whenever someone says her name in real life I have the same dream about her. That I’m going to a gas station with my mom and I see here there. In my dream I always avoid her because I don’t like her there and in real life. And I don’t want to keep dreaming the same thing. So can you tell me what this means because I want to know it’s meaning please and thanks. If you read till the end then thank you and I hope you have a good day/night. :).

February 9, 2020 at 10:57 pm

You avoid her and don’t like her in real life. When you are forced to think about her in real life, you have a dream that you see her and don’t want to as well. It seems like your dream is merely reflecting your own subconscious feelings about her. As for how to make the dreams stop, I wish I could help you out with that one. A lot of people ask about how to make dreams stop, but I don’t have a good way to do that. Good night to you, too. 🙂

Rita

November 8, 2019 at 2:58 pm

So long story short this boy I liked didn’t like me and started making fun of me and just hated my guts, I ignored him. It’s almost been a year now and I dreamt about him coming to my house with his friends and just exploring it for some reason he saw me through the glass door we had and looked at me closer…WHAT DOES THIS MEAN HSKSHSJW

February 14, 2020 at 5:12 pm

The dream just shows what you wish would happen. Even though you know he doesn’t like you and was mean to you, your subconscious wishes that things were different, so it created this dream.