What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone You Don’t Know?

By on September 4, 2017

When you dream about someone you know, you have a place to start interpreting the dream. They may have appeared because you like them or because they represent a certain kind of quality that you want to have in your waking life. When you do not know the person who appears in your dream, it can be extremely disconcerting. You see them in your dreams, but you can’t tell what they mean because you have never met them in real life. There are a few reasons why you may have an unknown person appear in your dreams though.

dreaming about someone

Your subconscious creates the dreams that you have each night. Currently, neurologists believe that the neurons in your mind fire at random. The images, memories and thoughts that are released are jumbled and completely random. The story in your dreams is put together by the rest of your mind when you wake up and the mind tries to make sense of your dreams.

This is one possible reason why random people appear in your dream. You may have seen them on television or in line behind you at Starbucks. You never consciously noticed them or thought about them, but their image was imprinted into your memory. Because of this, you dreamed about them and your mind just tried to make sense of the memories later on.

Filling a Void

If the neurologists are wrong, your dreams have a subconscious meaning of some sort. If they do, then perhaps your mind is trying to fill some subconscious need, desire or fear. If the person is positive in your dream, you may want to have someone happy and supportive in your real life. If they are chasing you, you may fear that an unknown force or person is working against you. If you dream about an unknown person being your lover, it may represent a desire to have a new romance or increased passion in your life.

It is very easy to believe that the person you see in your dreams is real. It is actually possible that they could be real because you may have seen them at random in your real life. At the same time, they are not someone with a deeper meaning. They give the meaning to the dream, but they themselves mean very little. If you dream of falling in love with an unknown person, it is highly unlikely that you will ever meet them in real life. Instead, they are just someone your subconscious chose to use to represent a feeling, situation, person or something else.

Aspects of Yourself

Sometimes, the people who show up in your dream just represent one of your personality traits or an aspect that you want in your life. For example, you may feel like the entire world is out to get you. Nothing seems to go right. Friends and family members you once trusted have betrayed you, and you are constantly criticized at work. In this scenario, you may dream that an unknown stranger arrives to help you and protect you. This is not because that stranger is actually going to appear in your life. Instead, it is just a sign that you want someone who will help or protect you. Your subconscious was unable to choose someone else to fill the role because you do not have someone like that in your present environment.

In other cases, the dream represents an aspect that you would like to have. Perhaps you are the type of person who works 9 to 5 at a respectable, stable job. You are a dutiful spouse and parent, and you are always on top of things at home. You may dream that a fun, playful person appears in your dreams. This may happen as a representation of the qualities you want in your waking life. You want to have spontaneous experiences and fun, so your subconscious mind lets you experience things in your dreams.

There are times when a stranger appears in your dreams to make you question your waking existence once again. It can be extremely hard to analyze your own thoughts and habits. Sometimes, the only way to gain perspective is when someone else does or thinks the same things. The person in your dream may be a mirror reflection of yourself. It may be a chance for you to wake up, realize the changes that you want and go for them.

Dreams can be extremely, extremely subjective. Because of this, it is important to look at your own dreams and analyze the feelings, people and experiences that occur. By analyzing your dream, you can figure out how it reflects on your own life and subconscious mind. With that knowledge, you can decide what it means when you dream about someone you don’t know.

Dar

September 8, 2019 at 4:11 pm

Weird dream, maybe different one or forgot part of it but…. The dream started out with me trying to keep demons or some evil thing out of a house lining it with something to keep it out, about a second later this guy that goes to my school pops up behind me and starts helping and we block the thing out and we kinda hold each other in a kinda I guess you can say “hot” way and then all I remember was being in another room with him with like not a lot on and I just walk away he said something but I dont remember really. I never even talk to the guy let alone see him a lot. Why this dream out of everything?

September 9, 2019 at 2:25 pm

The first part of this dream is an indication of your spiritual beliefs. You clearly are interested in removing negative influences from your life and in the world. It is possible that you are interested in maintaining a new social relationship with someone at this time. It seems that you need to make a decision about what you want for your future. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Dar!

Ari K

September 8, 2019 at 10:38 am

If dreams are social and emotional desires. Then how do you explain the reasond for seeing your dream happen right in front of you?

And my next question is

Do you believe in all of this? Or do you just answer questions because you want to or because they make you?

September 9, 2019 at 2:06 pm

The influences and decisions in our lives lead to our thoughts. These thoughts lead to words and actions. Those words and actions, in turn, cause new thoughts or dreams to occur. It is certainly my belief that the dreams that members of our community have are manifestations of those thoughts and feelings. When a person dreams about an unknown person, it is likely a sign that they want to maintain a new social or emotional relationship. These questions are answered because we want to interact and build this community, as this will help other people be supported and cared for. We look forward to you sharing your insights and experiences in the future. Have a great day, Ari!

Evangelene

September 8, 2019 at 6:29 am

I had a dream that the person I didn’t know was my lover. He looked very fit, had two girls, lived kind of luxurious. But in the dream I also had my husband there.we were still husband and wife but he knew about the other guy too. He seemed ok about it in public but the one part where it was just me and my husband, he was starting to talk saying i don’t spend enough time with him. I’m very confused as to what it means. I woke up with a heavy feeling in my heart, like I was worried I was about to get caught. I hope you can give me some clarity, please.

September 9, 2019 at 1:48 pm

Your dream seems to be an indication of your thoughts in relation to your social and emotional relationships. It seems that you are married, so allow thoughts of this other person to fade. Nourish your relationship with your husband by spending additional time with him in person. If there is something that you need to address in your relationship, then speak with your partner about your thoughts and feelings. Give him an opportunity to share himself with you as well. Have a great day, Evangelene!

Mecca

September 7, 2019 at 11:39 am

I had a dream I was dating this girl and I’ve never seen her before. I am a girl I’m stuck between if I’m bi or not. But In the dream I felt like I known her forever, like I grew up with her. Normally I don’t dream unless it happens later in my life but lately I’ve been having weird dreams about relationships.

September 8, 2019 at 10:21 pm

Your dream is an indication of your social and emotional desires. You are uncertain about your sexuality, and this is normal. The two of you share a history and social relationship. Nourish this relationship by spending additional time together in person. During that time, determine her feelings toward you. Decide if this relationship would be appropriate and viable. Speak with her about your thoughts and feelings, and give her an opportunity to share herself with you as well. Have a great day, Mecca!

Sharon Haka

September 7, 2019 at 9:28 am

I had a dream of someone who wasn’t really a friend but I adore him. We were dating in my dream. But from time to time his face changes to someone else, someone older he didn’t resemble the guy I adored but I knew it was him. Then his face would change into the guy I adored and then to the man I didn’t know…

September 8, 2019 at 10:07 pm

The changing faces of the man in your dream could be an indication of your uncertainty about the future. It seems that you are interested in maintaining a romantic relationship with someone at this time. You adore someone, but you are not friends with them. This may mean that this relationship is not viable at this time. For that reason, the changing faces may be indications of other people that are in your life that you may want to nourish a relationship with. You will draw positive people and energy into your life by sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Sharon!

Emily lope

September 7, 2019 at 8:08 am

I had a dream about a boy he was a little older than me, he liked my sister in my dream, i was not his typw. My entire life i liked him, not only beacause of his looks but of who he is. He came back into our life, and he forced his slef to like me even though he liked my sister, (irl i do not have a sister) he said he didnt want to be with my sister beacuase if he leaves, he would hurt her, he didnt care about me, he just wanted to get over her but couldnt.Everytime I have a dream the same situation happens,the boy doesnt love me back and i always end up alone, they dont like me as a friend or anything because im not their type? I always miss the person from my dreams, without recalling their face, after all i love them for who they are.I honestly need help understanding, why do i miss them? Who are they?wht dont they like me? Why do i always have these dreams?

September 8, 2019 at 9:59 pm

Your dreams seem to be indications of your social desires and your insecurities. It is possible that you had an experience with someone from your past that was similar to the experiences within your dreams. If you have a similar dream in the future, then address your concerns to the person within your dream about their purpose. It seems that you are interested in maintaining a new emotional relationship, so ensure that this dream guides you in a positive direction. You will draw positive people and energy into your life by sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Emily!

Sean

September 7, 2019 at 6:53 am

I thaink i dream of the same guy about 5-6time start from 2018 till now and I don’t saw his face but I know that that guy was too good and will protect me whenever I get in trouble but we never have a chance to said thing to each other and everytime i saw him in my dreams it was in my high school time what does it mean even i don’t think of him but why he always appear and it looks like we didn’t have a great chance to meet each other.

September 8, 2019 at 8:36 pm

Your dreams are indications of your social and emotional desires. His appearance may be an amalgamation of various qualities that you find attractive in a partner. His behaviors are indications of your desires regarding the personality of the type of person you want to maintain a relationship with. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Sean!

Roe

September 7, 2019 at 3:24 am

Had a dream I was able to manipulate people’s thoughts by handshake. I was in a car with a few people (Uber) being drove thru a dangerous part of town , then people started attacking the car. I touched the the driver and told her to bring her aggressive side out and run over these people. Then the dream shifted, I was with a elevator with people, the higher I went the more luxurious.I was intrigued to go to the top floor, it’s was a floor in the 1000 range. Wanted to speak to a Dr about change as soon as I go up there I started manipulating the receptionists and they thought I was there for a job interview. then I woke up.

September 8, 2019 at 8:20 pm

Your dream could be an indication of your desire to have powers that help you navigate your life. It seems that you may be interested in changing what you want for your future. You may need to make a decision about your career. Determine what you want for your future, and take whatever actions that you feel are appropriate. You will draw positive people and energy into your life by sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Roe!

NB

September 5, 2019 at 7:30 pm

I dreamed I was in some sort of amusement park having fun alone. All of a sudden a group of young boys of various ages showed up and looked sickly. I was afraid they were going to vomit on me. They said they’d been riding in a van too long. Then the location changed to a house as I told them I needed to get them help for poisoning. But as we approached the door they got scared and said I couldn’t go out the front because their dad would see me and get mad. They made me go out the back door and I started running trying to make it before he came in the front. I woke up with my heart beating so loud!!!! What in the world?!?

September 6, 2019 at 8:59 pm

This dream seems to be a manifestation of various concerns or worries that you may have in your life. The sickly people could be a sign that you are uncertain about various influences in your life. Their dad may be a sign that you are uncertain about a social or emotional relationship. Make a decision about what changes that you may need to make. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, NB!

Azusena Lopez

September 5, 2019 at 4:02 pm

When I said he is my brother…. already passed away and then I was dream see his face had make up than turn back his face that I rnow. He doesn’t seem happy with me. Can you tell me why?

September 6, 2019 at 8:50 pm

This dream is a reflection of your emotional relationship with your late brother. The change of his face may be an indication of an uncertainty that you may have in your life. His feelings seem to be manifestations of various influences in your life. You will honor the memory of your brother by sharing your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Azusena!

Emily

September 7, 2019 at 8:00 am

I had a dream about that I like somebody but they didn’t like me back but then they force ourselves to like me but they couldn’t and then you left with the other person that they like I need to know that person don’t know why was feeling that because I didn’t see anything that can make me feel that what is it what does it mean I miss the person but I don’t know the person

September 8, 2019 at 9:54 pm

This dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. You do not know this person, so they may have been an amalgamation of qualities that you may find attractive in a partner. It is possible that there is someone in your life that you want to maintain a relationship with, but you are confused or uncertain about their feelings toward you. Make a decision about what you want for your future, and take appropriate action. Have a great day, Emily!

md

September 5, 2019 at 2:20 am

I’ve had the same dream 3 times.Well,not exactly the same dream but it was with the same person.I dont know who he is in real life but I’m positive that I might have met him at some point,even though he didnt make me a big impression.Anyways,on the first dream he is the boyfriend of someone I hate and we start working together and I fell for him even though I knew it was wrong.Kinda same thing happened on dream number 2.On the third dream,I saw we were in the country in order to attend a wedding.It wasn’t his but I knew he’d get married pretty soon as well.We were spending the night talking and all and I realized how much I liked this person but again it felt wrong.In real life I don’t have a current crush or anything like that.What could that person mean?

September 5, 2019 at 10:36 pm

Your dreams are manifestations of your social and emotional desires. This person may have been an amalgamation of various qualities that you may find attractive in a partner. You may have seen him before, and he may have appeared in your dream as a placeholder. It is possible that this person will come into your life in the future. Ensure that your share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Md!

PT

September 7, 2019 at 7:45 am

I had this dream about this one girl no one liked and everyone was disgusted by her presence in the dream I had everything I ever wanted, so I approached the girl and tried to help her make some friends then the setting changed to a house, and there was people there so I tried to introduce the girl to them, but they just walked away in disgust. Then the girl gave up and looked like she was about to cry, but then there was a creepy lady knocking on the door I told the girl not to open the door but she did it anyways, then the creepy lady walked upstairs to the rooms, I was over thinking in my dream, then I woke up with my heart pounding.

September 8, 2019 at 8:54 pm

The ugly person in your dream seems to be an indication of your desire to support those who are in need. You clearly want to provide emotional and social support for those who would benefit from it. It is clear that you are someone who wants to share your positive energy with the world. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, PT!

L

September 5, 2019 at 2:17 am

I had a dream about a girl that i know, it’s not like I’ve met her for long enough to be in a relationship, But she appeared in my dream as my girlfriend. I don’t exactly know what it means, but I’m sure that i have no feelings for her. And it took me long enough to figure out who she is until saw her.

September 5, 2019 at 10:34 pm

You do not have feelings for this person, so it is possible that she appeared in your dream as a placeholder for someone else. It is possible that you are interested in maintaining a new social or emotional relationship. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, L!

EvaLina

September 4, 2019 at 11:33 pm

Hello☺️

Today I had a really impressive dreams.
    I was in the city, alone, the place was pretty much crowded. Dunno where I was heading to. Then I met a guy 30 years older than me and he was devastatingly beautiful. He was so captivating beyond words☺️
    I liked him a lot but deep inside I felt that his feelings are not as deep as mine.
    Regardless of this I decided to stay with him and it seemed we were heading somewhere. Then the drama started.
    Suddenly I was being chased by an unknown woman and she seemed very distracted by me and somehow mean. she tried to stop me with dropping two bombs toward me but I managed to escape. I was alone in this.
    In order to survive I had to run very fast. I was jumping from the balconies, the houses were old and unknown. I wasnt scared, I was so full of adrenaline.
    The place was literally crushing down, it was like a war zone.

At the end I finally arrived in a hospital and asked for the stranger. Then my mum appeared and said that he was talking to my sister and he said to her the same words as he had said to me at the beginning. I felt dissapointed because he was just playing games with me.
    Then I remember being with my grandad, I hug him as a little girl and kiss him.
    Then I woke up☺️
    Btw I always missed my father in real life. My grandad was the one who respected me and supported me in my goals.

Thanks for the answer

September 5, 2019 at 9:06 pm

This dream is a reflection of a wide variety of influences that you may have at this time. First, the person who appeared in your dream may be an amalgamation of various qualities that you may find attractive in a partner. Being chased is an indication of concerns or worries that you may have in your life. The presence of your family members at the hospital may be related to your experiences with them. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life, as this will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, EvaLina!

Ari

September 4, 2019 at 7:51 am

I dreamt about a stranger and it felt so weird because in the dream he was riding a motorcycle and kept staring at me while grinning widely. That person was not a complete stranger though since I saw him during the day when he walked at the side of the tennis court, but that was the only time that I saw him, I don’t even know his name.

September 5, 2019 at 7:13 pm

This dream seems to be a reflection of various social and emotional influences in your life. You saw this person, and he appeared in your dream. He may be a placeholder for someone else in your life. It is possible that he may appear in your future again. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Ari!

Yozora

September 4, 2019 at 1:11 am

I had a dream where me and one of my best friends and a girl named marija, who i never met before, were walking and joking around, we were on a trip with our class and they were far in front of us

September 4, 2019 at 11:21 pm

This dream seems to be an indication of your social relationship with Marija. You have never met her before, so she may be an amalgamation of various qualities that you would like in a best friend. It is possible that she was part of your distant past. She may appear in the future. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life, as this will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, Yozora!

Leah Backrack

September 3, 2019 at 8:16 pm

I have had the same dark haired, blue eyed man in all my dreams since I was pretty young. He is always mid-twenties. I dont think he has aged but im not sure. He is never a main character but always there just in passing. If im on a bus, he is sometimes a few rows in front of me. In the dream I never see him and am like, oh thats the guy in the dreams. Usually I barely notice him at all until I think about it in the morning. I do not know him in real life and I do not know his name. Suspicions Ive had is that maybe it is the child from my mothers late term miscarriage between me and my older sister. It also could be my half siblings dad who died and who did in fact have dark hair and blue eyes, but the man in my dreams doesn’t look the same as him. My last guess is that it came from watching gilmore girls because everyone in that show has dark hair and blue eyes. lmk what you think.

September 4, 2019 at 11:13 pm

The person who appeared in your dream is likely a manifestation of the people that you feel he could be representing. This connection seems to be emotional, but with someone that you have not communicated with. This makes it entirely reasonable that he Is one of the people who you believe he represents. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will honor the memory of this person. Have a great day, Leah!

Kalii

September 3, 2019 at 4:45 pm

I actually dreamt of a couples. Though, some of the people I portrayed were not in my real name. They often call me in different names, and this dreams are in different timelines. I just remembered their features, their story, and their names.
    Jacede- he was the one who often helps me. Though, he would always guide me in seeing my parents separates or telling something will happen in the future like deaths (well, it happened). He’s the person who completely has the things I want. We also have the same clothing style and hobby but he’s a guy. There once a dream where he tried to kill me.
    Presto- he was a blind man in an old manor. My role in that dream was a young girl name Lyra who’s a relative of the head maid. Well, Lyra died when Presto got his eyesight back.
    Nick- He’s an American soldier of World War 2 in the Philippines. I was named Alexiandria, as a nickname because I was roled as a spy to infiltrate their base. I mean, to sabotage their military information because of corrupt leaders. I married Nick but he died before the ceremony ends. He was killed by his co-soldier who rebelled their army. Before waking up, I commited suicide.
    Dexine- I dreamt of him when I was in 9th grade but it was short. All I know that he is the father of my child, Aries, and he was trying to have its custody but someone took away our child. Later, after so many years, I dreamt of him once again. It was a prequel of the lovestory that we once ‘have’ and most likely we have up with each other because of the misunderstanding and unclear emotions. I completely portrayed my real self in that dreamt.

September 4, 2019 at 11:07 pm

These dreams seem to be influential on your thoughts and dreams. It is possible that these people are manifestations of previous relationship. They may be fictional characters that are influenced by the shows and media that you watch. Jacede may be a supportive reflection of yourself. Presto could be an indication of your relationship with a mentor. Nick likely is a symbol of your feelings of camaraderie. Dexine may be a manifestation of your social and emotional desires, and he may be an amalgamation of various qualities that you find attractive in a partner. Have a great day, Kalii!

Ammm

September 3, 2019 at 10:03 am

What about dreaming strangers being your friends and they talk a lot like they are missing you.

September 4, 2019 at 10:53 pm

These dreams may be indications of your desire to maintain new social relationships. The strangers could be manifestations of the type of people that you want to become friends with. You will draw positive people and energy into your life by sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Ammm!

Random

September 2, 2019 at 8:22 am

I have had this dream before but not like this, there was this guy named Redmond I don’t know who he is in real life, and we went to a movie, we where really close friends I bought popcorn with his money and it was like a ride, then it was like it just changed we where rafting with some of my best friends in real life and he kissed me on the cheek everyone was like “aww” and he was like were jut friends his friends told me good job I was sad when I woke up and it was a dream. I don’t know what this means but I remember him giving me his Instagram I do t quite remember what it was though, I really want to meet him or a guy like that he was so sweet.

September 2, 2019 at 9:30 pm

Your dream is a manifestation of your social and emotional desires. The man who appeared in your dream may be an amalgamation of various qualities that you find attractive in a partner. The rafting could be an indication of your desire for adventure. The approval of your best friends may be a sign that you want your romantic relationships to be supported by your friends. You will draw positive people and energy into your life by sharing your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Random!

DJ

September 2, 2019 at 8:17 am

I had a dream about a person I don’t know. They had a crush on me and I had a crush on them. But we weren’t together. We were at a acting camp? And we were filming something.

September 2, 2019 at 9:26 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. The person who appeared in your dream may be an amalgamation of various qualities that you find attractive in a partner. It is possible that you are aware that someone in your life may be interested in maintaining a romantic relationship with you. You will draw positive people and energy into your life by sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, DJ!