What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone You Don’t Know?

By on September 4, 2017

When you dream about someone you know, you have a place to start interpreting the dream. They may have appeared because you like them or because they represent a certain kind of quality that you want to have in your waking life. When you do not know the person who appears in your dream, it can be extremely disconcerting. You see them in your dreams, but you can’t tell what they mean because you have never met them in real life. There are a few reasons why you may have an unknown person appear in your dreams though.

dreaming about someone

Your subconscious creates the dreams that you have each night. Currently, neurologists believe that the neurons in your mind fire at random. The images, memories and thoughts that are released are jumbled and completely random. The story in your dreams is put together by the rest of your mind when you wake up and the mind tries to make sense of your dreams.

This is one possible reason why random people appear in your dream. You may have seen them on television or in line behind you at Starbucks. You never consciously noticed them or thought about them, but their image was imprinted into your memory. Because of this, you dreamed about them and your mind just tried to make sense of the memories later on.

Filling a Void

If the neurologists are wrong, your dreams have a subconscious meaning of some sort. If they do, then perhaps your mind is trying to fill some subconscious need, desire or fear. If the person is positive in your dream, you may want to have someone happy and supportive in your real life. If they are chasing you, you may fear that an unknown force or person is working against you. If you dream about an unknown person being your lover, it may represent a desire to have a new romance or increased passion in your life.

It is very easy to believe that the person you see in your dreams is real. It is actually possible that they could be real because you may have seen them at random in your real life. At the same time, they are not someone with a deeper meaning. They give the meaning to the dream, but they themselves mean very little. If you dream of falling in love with an unknown person, it is highly unlikely that you will ever meet them in real life. Instead, they are just someone your subconscious chose to use to represent a feeling, situation, person or something else.

Aspects of Yourself

Sometimes, the people who show up in your dream just represent one of your personality traits or an aspect that you want in your life. For example, you may feel like the entire world is out to get you. Nothing seems to go right. Friends and family members you once trusted have betrayed you, and you are constantly criticized at work. In this scenario, you may dream that an unknown stranger arrives to help you and protect you. This is not because that stranger is actually going to appear in your life. Instead, it is just a sign that you want someone who will help or protect you. Your subconscious was unable to choose someone else to fill the role because you do not have someone like that in your present environment.

In other cases, the dream represents an aspect that you would like to have. Perhaps you are the type of person who works 9 to 5 at a respectable, stable job. You are a dutiful spouse and parent, and you are always on top of things at home. You may dream that a fun, playful person appears in your dreams. This may happen as a representation of the qualities you want in your waking life. You want to have spontaneous experiences and fun, so your subconscious mind lets you experience things in your dreams.

There are times when a stranger appears in your dreams to make you question your waking existence once again. It can be extremely hard to analyze your own thoughts and habits. Sometimes, the only way to gain perspective is when someone else does or thinks the same things. The person in your dream may be a mirror reflection of yourself. It may be a chance for you to wake up, realize the changes that you want and go for them.

Dreams can be extremely, extremely subjective. Because of this, it is important to look at your own dreams and analyze the feelings, people and experiences that occur. By analyzing your dream, you can figure out how it reflects on your own life and subconscious mind. With that knowledge, you can decide what it means when you dream about someone you don’t know.

Chatheryn

July 7, 2019 at 4:48 pm

I had a dream that all the school things are throwed in my fathers tricycle and when i woke up it is already in our living room chair and my mom get it one by one and move her things in a floor after that other mother where came to our house and told us that the girl who is died and chopchop is her child and she told us that the body of her daughter is selled by the murderer. I dont know them i’ve never met the other mother and her daugther. What my dreams does it mean?

July 8, 2019 at 6:45 pm

This dream seems to be a reflection of various concerns or worries in your life. It is certain that you will find benefit in abstaining from consuming violent and dramatic media. You are aware of the violence in the world, which may have led to the fear which influenced this dream. Allow the negative aspects of this dream to fade. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Chatheryn!

Joyce

July 7, 2019 at 2:52 pm

I dreamt about this unknown man but seems like he is there to be with me all the way. While with him at the back of my mind asking myself why he is with me despite the fact he knew I have my own family, husband, in-laws and kids. He’s there when I am sorting my travel documents, holding my hands like supporting me in all I do. Strange, I dont have any idea who he is but he is there for me till the end of this world.

July 8, 2019 at 6:29 pm

The person who appeared in your dream may be someone from your distant past. It seems like you are thinking of someone who makes you feel secure and safe. You have a family, so focus your emotional energy on them. Nourish these relationships by spending additional time with them in person. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Joyce!

christina

July 7, 2019 at 1:25 pm

last night i had a dream about a person that i love (kinda a crush) i do not know him i only know his name,address ..
    in the dream that person was giving me signs that he loves me.
    its kinda strange because in real life we have not even said “hello” to each other.

July 8, 2019 at 6:25 pm

This dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. You do not know him, but you know his address. This indicates that you have seen him enter his home, but you have not spoken to him. It seems that you need to make a decision about what is appropriate for the future of this relationship. Either speak with him about your thoughts and feelings, or focus your emotional energy elsewhere. Have a great day, Christina!

Kira

July 7, 2019 at 9:26 am

So I had this dream the other night. I was at a hotel and packed my bag quickly to get out because of a earthquake that was going to happen(live in west coast where it hit Cali)so once I packed my bag and headed downstairs that’s when the earthquake hit. I ran outside and found an area they had set up for the earthquake with food and other stuff. I randomly had a spoon in my mouth because I was eating something, then I saw a familiar face , he also noticed me too. I walked over he stood up from his chair and opened his arms up for a hug. During the hug he kissed the top of my head and said “I missed you” because I chose someone other guy a couple years before I regretted. I didn’t have the same feeling as the guy I chose instead of the one I was hugging. After that we decided to go swimming. In the pool we were just hugging, kissing, smiling at each other and had some fun. -That’s where my dream ended

July 8, 2019 at 2:38 pm

The earthquake may have caused this dream to manifest. You are aware of the risks associated with natural disaster. The guy in your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. The behaviors in your dream are indications that you want to maintain a romantic relationship. Share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Kira!

cheyanna

July 7, 2019 at 3:20 am

i just had a dream with three people in it, one of them is the girl in dating now. but as i had this dream i remember i had it way before i even met this girl. also this dream happened right after i had a bunch of nightmares. what could this mean? one of the nightmares before was of me having a bloody nose while in real life the same nostril was clogged, and then i went to go clean up the “bloody nose” in the bathroom but i told myself something scary was going to be in the bathroom but yet i couldn’t wake myself up, i was just stuck in the loop of continuous nightmares until the dream about the girl i’m dating now appeared and then i woke up. what does this all mean? does anyone have any ideas??

July 8, 2019 at 2:25 pm

Nightmares are often indications of worries or concerns that you may have in your life. The presence of your girlfriend may be a sign that you share a strong connection with her, and you do not want to lose her. The other people in your dream could be a sign of concerns of other social relationships. Nourish your relationship with your partner by spending additional time with her in person. Have a great day, Cheyanna!

Joanne

July 7, 2019 at 1:51 am

July 8, 2019 at 2:17 pm

The person in this dream may be a reflection of someone from your distant past. He likely is not a manifestation of an emotional relationship in this life. Since you are married, you should allow thoughts of this person to fade. Nourish your relationship with your partner by spending additional time with him in person. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Joanne!

Elaine

July 6, 2019 at 8:32 pm

I dreamt about escaping from an island. There was six people (including me) but only 3 people were allowed to escape , so there were 3 left on the island . I did cried but I didn’t felt like I really knew them ( those who voluntered to leave on the island ) . So there was me , 1 guy and 1 girl who started to escape . There was one point where we reached a place which we had to do flying fox so we could reach the other end . I was the last one to do flying fox, but was quite scared at the time. Then suddenly this guy ( already reach the other end slide back to my direction ) and carried me together to do flying fox ) Before this scene happenend in my dream , i din really remembered this guys face , but when he held me and slide to the other end, I noticed he was so attractive and he was my type. I felt secure and was feelkng comfortable in his arms. Then we continued our journey. Throughout the journey the girl kept on teasing us . I didn’t really remember any details but I knew we are acting like a couple and hugged a lot of times. It was like he really was my boyfriend and that i am in love but in fact I am single in real life. And this guy I met in my dream was a person I never saw before.

July 8, 2019 at 1:49 pm

The split between the original six people on the island could be a reflection of a change in your social relationships. The person who helped you jump is a manifestation of a friend that you feel close with. It is possible that he was a reflection of qualities that you find attractive in a partner. If there is someone in your life that you want to maintain a romantic relationship with, then speak with that person about your thoughts and feelings. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Elaine!

Mary

July 6, 2019 at 8:39 am

I had a dream last night about this guy that I have never seen before. He was very sweet and he was kind of shy. He grabbed my hand and asked me if I was single and I just looked at him smiling because I had the feeling that I had always known him and I was shocked that he was asking me this but at the same time glad. I told him that I was single. We both smiled knowing that a new chapter was about to start.
    What could this dream mean?

July 8, 2019 at 12:35 pm

This dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. The person who appeared in your dream is a manifestation of qualities that you find attractive in a potential partner. It is possible that he is from your past. He may appear in your future. You will draw positive people and energy into your life by sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Mary!

Neda

July 6, 2019 at 4:08 am

Why i’m always dream guy with girl i do’t even know then.. i saw theres faces but can’t recognise them.. sometimes like i know him in face,but can’t really recognise him.. sometimes by him self..

July 8, 2019 at 12:16 pm

Dreams of unknown relationships are reflections of your social and emotional desires. It is possible that the people in your dreams are manifestations of people who are in your life. They may have come from your past. They may appear in your future. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will help draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Neda!

Karissa R. Sandigan

July 5, 2019 at 3:02 pm

I had this dream. My bf and i went to a barrio to buy seafoods. While my bf is busy to look for seafoods he left me outside the car. And while im waiting for him. There is a girl who slowly walk towards with me. She is beautiful with long black hair and she smiled. Then i don’t know if we have real conversation but i really do’t remember if we have one. Then suddenly my bf appears beside me and he told me to get inside the car and lock the door. And while we are inside the car he is in panic and turning on the engine in rush. And i ask him why? What is wrong? And he is speechless and afraid by the way i look at him. Then he stops driving in a kilometers away and we meet a family in our stops. My bf told them that he saw me talking to someone who die already. But this girl is not that i already knew. She is stranger.

July 5, 2019 at 9:56 pm

Your dream is a reflection of various influences in your life. The girl in the dream seemed to be related to your thoughts of your partner. The death aspect of this dream is a sign of a change in a relationship. The worry that your partner had is likely a manifestation of your thoughts. Allow the negative aspects of this dream to fade. Nourish your relationship with your partner by spending additional time with him in person. Have a great day, Karissa!

Erik Reenalda

July 5, 2019 at 10:06 am

I’ve had dreams of people I haven’t met in the past, but then after waking up from those dreams, later in the future I’ve met them and then Id have that same dream again the night after meeting them. Im confused how this could happen.

July 5, 2019 at 8:58 pm

These dreams are reflections of various influences in your life. You have been able to see some of the relationships that you formed in the future. It is certainly possible for it to happen more often. When you have these dreams, ensure that it guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Erik!

Jasmine

July 8, 2019 at 4:27 am

I had a dream about a guy whom I’ve never seen before. There was a scary big dog which wanted to bite me and that guy who probably was my boyfriend protected me from that dog.He was very attractive and i liked him. What could it mean?

July 8, 2019 at 7:38 pm

Dogs are often manifestations of unknown social relationships or loyal friends. The behavior of the guy in your dream was protective. This may be a sign that you want o maintain a relationship with someone who makes you feel secure and happy. Make a decision about what you want for your future, and take appropriate action. If there is someone that you want to develop a relationship with, then speak with that persona bout your thoughts and feelings. Have a great day, Jasmine!

Mae

July 3, 2019 at 5:13 pm

I had a dream about a really attractive guy last night. He has tattoos on his back (like maps). We were like lovers but we are not lovers, like it’s just a mutual understanding, an unlabeled relationship because I already have a boyfriend in real life. I don’t know why but when I was with him, it makes me want to cheat on my boyfriend. What could it mean?

July 3, 2019 at 11:11 pm

This dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. The person who appeared in your dream is an amalgamation of various qualities that you find attractive in a partner. Do not cheat on your partner. If you are no longer satisfied in this relationship, then speak with him about your thoughts and feelings and end the relationship. If you are single and want to maintain a relationship with someone like this imaginary person that you dreamed of, then do so at that time. Have a great day, Mae!

Joss

July 2, 2019 at 7:15 pm

last night i had a dream about a little boy running around, just smiling at me.. he was wearing old clothes. had a hat on, looked like he was from the 1900’s for sure he had beautiful blue eyes. he had toys all around him (between did not say one word at all) it looked like he was playing with either a car or train toy. before i woke up he turned left and which
    looked like a light hit him then looked at me and smile once again. after i woke up i decided to write everything down but after that i really couldn’t stop hearing bangs on my door’s and wall’s all day, i kept seeing shadow’s too but i did ignore it! it did not feel like nothing negative or like it was trying to hurt me in any type of way.

July 2, 2019 at 8:28 pm

This little boy in your dream may be a reflection of various influences in your life. It did not seem to be a negative influence, so allow it to guide your actions in a positive direction. It is possible that he is someone from your distant past. He may appear in your future. Sharing your kindness and compassion will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Joss!

MaryLou Curtis

July 2, 2019 at 2:06 pm

Would anyone know about this…. I had a very quick vivid dream, it was dark and I was outside with an unknown male, his back was faced towards me and we were struggling, he tried to pull away and I shot him, as he turned around we made eye contact and I said, “oh my God, that is Tyler Stevens!” I woke up and saw the time. It was at 3:21 am. Anyways, my sister asked me what he looked like, I gave her the description that he was you, between the age of 23-25, dark hair and said he looked like he was on drugs. She decided to look up that name….. I saw his picture! Never met him and he was 26 and died years ago of a heroin overdose. He’s from a different state, way farther than the state Im from. Coincidence??? But what i do remember is the saddest look in his eyes when we made eye contact. My neck hairs stood up when I saw his picture online…..

July 2, 2019 at 7:51 pm

There may be many reasons for why this dream appeared. It is clear that you had this experience. It is possible that you feel a connection with this person. You know how drugs influence individuals, and you are aware of the importance of sharing your positive energy. Share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy toward you. Have a great day, MaryLou!

Brentton

July 2, 2019 at 6:05 am

I had anDream recently that I was at home with someone I saw from Instagram. She and I were just hanging out and it got to the point where I told her to lay on my shoulder if she wanted, and she did. It was like that for a while. Then it fades to another scenario where I and that girl are on a bus with an actual friend of mine, and all we were doing was talking. I couldn’t remember what we said but it sounded like we were having fun talking to each other.

July 2, 2019 at 7:31 pm

Your dreams are reflections of various influences in your life. It is possible that you are interested in developing a relationship with someone in your life. The person on your social media account may be someone that you find attractive. The person who is in your life may be someone you want to maintain a relationship with. Make a decision about what you want for your future, and take whatever action is appropriate. Have a great day, Brentton!

Ariana

July 1, 2019 at 10:45 pm

Last night I had a dream where I was in a relationship with a guy that I’ve never seen in my entire life, but it was a super sweet dream. He held my hand and we were running around a building for fun. Idk what it means

July 2, 2019 at 5:40 pm

The person who appeared in your dream may be a reflection of various people in your life. He may have been an amalgamation of various qualities that you find attractive in a partner. It is possible that you are interested in developing a new social or emotional relationship. Make a decision about what you want for your future, and take appropriate action. Have a great day, Ariana!

n

July 1, 2019 at 5:12 pm

i dreamt of a guy i have never met before but somehow we were in a relationship. he gave his sweater to me and i could actually smell his cologne on his sweater. and we were happy

July 2, 2019 at 2:23 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. The sweater may be a manifestation of your desire to maintain a relationship with someone who makes you feel safe and secure. The cologne may be a sign that you are attracted to someone in your life. Share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, N!

Shelly Carlos

June 30, 2019 at 2:37 am

I had this long dream last night that’s why I am here, I have had a lot of long dreams but this one is specifically vivid and weird because it is really far from anything in reality. It is that my uncle(my mom’s brother) is a huge huge businessman. He owns a big hotel chain and I live there, I don’t know where my parents were but I am pretty sure it had my grandma, cousins and my aunt(my mom’s sister), so here where the unusual part starts. There is this big family probably some rich royal family and the oldest lady of that family was out there to destroy our family. So she kidnapped my uncle but before going he gave me a task of snapping photos of certain things which will eventually save us. I was all alone and the whole city or town was out there to kill me but on my way to every place any one person will get on with me to help and we continued. There was a lot of guns shooting, people killing and I finally confronted the reason for all this, and now I met the heir of their family who was, of course, there to kill me but then I approached him to kill him and he suddenly offered me to help and I sort of start liking him while we were out there killing people and so did he. But I don’t think I have ever seen him in real life. What could it mean?

July 1, 2019 at 12:27 am

This dream is a reflection of various influences in your life it is certain that you will find benefit in abstaining from consuming violent and dramatic media. Dreams about shootings are often manifestations of your knowledge of recent shootings and other violent events. Allow the negative aspects of this dream to fade, and share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Shelly!

Amanda

June 29, 2019 at 10:07 pm

I had a dream last night about a a guy I didn’t know but we were in a reiationship. We loved one another but he said this can no longer work. In the dream I cried I was so heartbroken but I knew it was for the best. It was so vivid and sad test I woke up in shock and in tears. I am in a relationship and pretty happy so the dream was weird

July 1, 2019 at 12:03 am

This dream may be a reflection of various influences in your life. It is possible that you have a social relationship that ended or changed. You will find benefit in abstaining from consuming dramatic media. Share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Nourish your relationship with your partner by spending additional time together in person. Have a great day, Amanda!

Scarlett Dremur

June 29, 2019 at 4:11 pm

I had a dream I had to babysit these kids I have never seen before in my life. The only one I entirely remember was a blonde 8 year old. So, the blonde kid walked outside onto this really long balcony. And all I remember is pushing him off. Then, for some reason, this lady came and asked what happened, and I emotionlessly said ‘he fell off’ then I woke up.

June 30, 2019 at 11:37 pm

Your dream is a reflection of various influences in your life. For whatever reason, you chose to behave in a negative manner in your dream. Allow this dream to fade, and ensure that this dream guides you in a positive direction. Share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life, as this will draw positive people and energy toward you. Have a great day, Scarlett!