What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone You Don’t Know?

By on September 4, 2017

When you dream about someone you know, you have a place to start interpreting the dream. They may have appeared because you like them or because they represent a certain kind of quality that you want to have in your waking life. When you do not know the person who appears in your dream, it can be extremely disconcerting. You see them in your dreams, but you can’t tell what they mean because you have never met them in real life. There are a few reasons why you may have an unknown person appear in your dreams though.

dreaming about someone

Your subconscious creates the dreams that you have each night. Currently, neurologists believe that the neurons in your mind fire at random. The images, memories and thoughts that are released are jumbled and completely random. The story in your dreams is put together by the rest of your mind when you wake up and the mind tries to make sense of your dreams.

This is one possible reason why random people appear in your dream. You may have seen them on television or in line behind you at Starbucks. You never consciously noticed them or thought about them, but their image was imprinted into your memory. Because of this, you dreamed about them and your mind just tried to make sense of the memories later on.

Filling a Void

If the neurologists are wrong, your dreams have a subconscious meaning of some sort. If they do, then perhaps your mind is trying to fill some subconscious need, desire or fear. If the person is positive in your dream, you may want to have someone happy and supportive in your real life. If they are chasing you, you may fear that an unknown force or person is working against you. If you dream about an unknown person being your lover, it may represent a desire to have a new romance or increased passion in your life.

It is very easy to believe that the person you see in your dreams is real. It is actually possible that they could be real because you may have seen them at random in your real life. At the same time, they are not someone with a deeper meaning. They give the meaning to the dream, but they themselves mean very little. If you dream of falling in love with an unknown person, it is highly unlikely that you will ever meet them in real life. Instead, they are just someone your subconscious chose to use to represent a feeling, situation, person or something else.

Aspects of Yourself

Sometimes, the people who show up in your dream just represent one of your personality traits or an aspect that you want in your life. For example, you may feel like the entire world is out to get you. Nothing seems to go right. Friends and family members you once trusted have betrayed you, and you are constantly criticized at work. In this scenario, you may dream that an unknown stranger arrives to help you and protect you. This is not because that stranger is actually going to appear in your life. Instead, it is just a sign that you want someone who will help or protect you. Your subconscious was unable to choose someone else to fill the role because you do not have someone like that in your present environment.

In other cases, the dream represents an aspect that you would like to have. Perhaps you are the type of person who works 9 to 5 at a respectable, stable job. You are a dutiful spouse and parent, and you are always on top of things at home. You may dream that a fun, playful person appears in your dreams. This may happen as a representation of the qualities you want in your waking life. You want to have spontaneous experiences and fun, so your subconscious mind lets you experience things in your dreams.

There are times when a stranger appears in your dreams to make you question your waking existence once again. It can be extremely hard to analyze your own thoughts and habits. Sometimes, the only way to gain perspective is when someone else does or thinks the same things. The person in your dream may be a mirror reflection of yourself. It may be a chance for you to wake up, realize the changes that you want and go for them.

Dreams can be extremely, extremely subjective. Because of this, it is important to look at your own dreams and analyze the feelings, people and experiences that occur. By analyzing your dream, you can figure out how it reflects on your own life and subconscious mind. With that knowledge, you can decide what it means when you dream about someone you don’t know.

ANNA

June 7, 2019 at 3:28 am

WHEN I WAS A KID I USED TO LIVE IN A HOUSE THAT WAS TOO DAMN HAUNTED I SPEND 13 YEARS OF MY LIFE THERE … I DON’T LIVE THERE NOW BUT WHENEVER I SEE A BAD DREAM, IM ALWAYS IN THAT HOUSE IN MY BAD DREAMS I DON’T KNOW WHY .TODAY SAW A DREAM I WAS CONTROLLED BY A GHOST IN THAT DREAM ,WHATEVER HE OR SHE WANTS ME TO DO WAS HAPPENING ITSELF I DIDN’T WANT TO DO THAT SO I WAS TOO SCARED AND WAS HUGGED BY MY MOTHER THE WHOLE TIME… BUT THEN THE GHOST TURNED INTO MY AUNT’S FACE AND WHEN MY FAMILY TRIED TO HURT THAT GHOST ,SHE SAID THAT SHE IS LINKED WITH MY AUNT SO WHATEVER WE DO TO HER WILL HAPPEN TO MY AUNT AS WELL BUT WHEN WE HURT HER NOTHING HAPPENED TO MY AUNT SO THAT GHOST WAS FOOLING US … SHE WANTED ME TO GO WITH HER… CAN I GET THE MEANING OF THIS DREAM?

anna

June 8, 2019 at 2:23 am

could you please tell me the meaning?

June 9, 2019 at 2:30 pm

There are many meanings to each experience. You should take this time to determine what the dream meant to you. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Anna!

Sophia

June 5, 2019 at 10:58 pm

I had this weird dream that I was hanging out with an amazing group of people that were really supportive and having the time of our lives then I start talking to this guy that I have actually came across a couple of times and never talked and became a part of our group and becomes really close to me as if it were normal and we have been friends for years

June 6, 2019 at 8:31 am

This most likely shows a desire to have a supportive, caring group of loved ones and friends around you. At the same time, it also seems to show a desire to find someone to be your romantic partner. You may not know someone who could play this role in your waking life, so your subconscious created someone to play it in your dreams.Because of this, the dream is really just showing your own subconscious thoughts, feelings and desires.

B

June 4, 2019 at 11:09 am

I had a dream where i was on some kind of a trip somewhere, and i met this girl. In the dream we became good friends and talked alot. Towards the end of the dream this trip was ending and i was saying my goodbyes. She walks up to me, says she’ll miss me and we embrace. Then we stop and stare at each other for a second, then she leans in and kisses me. She tells me “we’ll meet again”. Moments later i woke up to realize it was all just a dream, and not reality. I thought i really had found someone for me, but it was all just in my mind. I need to know what this is about, its racking my brain.

June 5, 2019 at 12:26 am

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. The person in your dream may be from your distant past. It is possible that she will come into your life in the future. She may have been an amalgamation of various qualities that you find attractive in a partner. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, B!

Sara Faye

June 4, 2019 at 12:41 am

I had the same dream twice already. The story goes like this, I already have a husband (which I don’t know and I am single by the way) He’s good looking and all that, definitely the man I want to marry in real life. he got a nice car like batman’s. full of gear and all such. We’re being chased by this woman I don’t know. on my first dream about this is our car wasn’t that hi-tech just a normal one like montero sport or something. we we’re chased by her and her father. after a few months has passed, now we were chased again but this time only her. I don’t know what this dream really mean, I even saw my family at the last part. My mom wanted us to stop over at our house to eat. while my father had to take care of an accident that me and my “husband” encountered while coming to my parent’s house a big yellow bus was about to crash into us. it’s weird because at the accident I saw my classmates, my ex crush and other boys I know. at the last part, I tried to persuade my husband that we should go so that nothing from my family will die.

June 4, 2019 at 10:50 pm

This dream is a reflection of a wide variety of influences in your life. The presence of a husband and your mother are indications that you have been thinking about your emotional relationships. It is clear that you want to maintain a relationship with someone that has the qualities that you find attractive. It also seems that you have a concern or worries in your life. Take this time to determine what you want for your future. Decide what changes are appropriate to make. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy toward you. Have a great day, Sara!

Sadboi

June 3, 2019 at 12:00 pm

I had this dream that i am still trying to fully piece together, as the whole experience was really confusing. In this dream i met a girl roughly the same age as i on some kind of a trip. Over the course of this dream i remember socializing with and connecting with this girl. Few days pass and I’m feeling a real connection with her. Then as the trip comes to an end i say my goodbyes to those i met, and then i get to her. She embraces me and i her. We both let go and stare at eachother for a moment. We both lean in and kiss (I’ve never kissed anyone in my life, and have never had a relationship, I’m 17yrs) and she says “we will meet again” and leaves. Im left staring into space smiling and i can’t stop. I cant remember what happened afterwards but i woke up and just immediately started sobbing… i don’t know what took over but i was hit with a wave of overwhelming sadness. Ive been super depressed the last few years but always kept it together. This morning i just couldn’t. Ive yearned for a meaningful relationship with someone for so long and as soon as i thought i had a chance at being happy with someone, it all faded away as i opened my eyes to reveal it was all a dream.. im trying so hard to make sense of this.

June 4, 2019 at 10:25 pm

This dream is a reflection of the powerful emotional desires that you have at this time. You clearly want to maintain a relationship with someone who makes you feel loved and secured. There are other people in the world who feel the same as you do. It is possible that this person will appear in your life in the future. Share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Sadboi!

Leah Chandler

June 2, 2019 at 11:20 pm

I have a recurring theme to my dreams. I fall in love with someone I just meet. Its so intense that if I wake up i long to go back to the dream, and most times can. Its not always the same man, but he is always “broken”. Like a drug addict with mental health issues. His love for me is always intense and when I try to leave him, which breaks my heart, he begs and often chases me, but stops to do whatever behavior made me leave him. Ie cheat, do heavy drugs etc. I wake up sad and lonely and the feeling last sometimes for days.

June 4, 2019 at 9:47 pm

These dreams may be reflections of various social or emotional relationships from your past. It is possible that these dreams appear due to media influences in your life. Allow the negative aspects of these dream to fade. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Leah!

Isa

June 2, 2019 at 8:48 am

I had a dream that ended the same way it began a few days ago. Like, a few days ago, I entered the place through this teleportation thing, and in the end of my dream last night, I exited back to my school through that same teleportation device. But, this dream started and I was in a building and we were visiting something, and I met this girl (I’ve never seen in real life; I don’t think) and it was love at first sight. We became thing, but I never got her name or number. We hung out until I had to go. She brought me to her room/dorm with her roommates and I noticed that she had a yearbook from my 8th grade hear at my old school (she was a year younger than me) and had my social studies workbook for some reason too. We cuddled at the end, which is something me and my ex did when we were first dating. What does all of this mean??

June 2, 2019 at 11:31 am

The dream seems to show a desire to meet someone you care about and can be with. You may miss the love and closeness you felt with your ex, so your subconscious mind created a new person to play that role in your dream. Once you meet the right person, your dream will most likely switch from the placeholder girl to the new romantic interest.

Emanon

June 2, 2019 at 6:25 am

So I keep dreaming about this same guy…but I genuinely don’t know who he is. All the dreams he’s in are all different scenarios, and he takes upon a different face, a different idenity, and a different role every single time (all roles are either friendly or romantic; ie: he’ll be my lover in war one dream who died, or a comrade in a nightmare). Somehow, though he takes a different identity, I know its him every single time. All I know is that he’s someone very dear to me. For instance, he died one dream, and I woke up crying. No matter what it is he does, it impacts my emotions positively and negatively. All the dreams are so vivid, and real, that it scares me. Yet thing is, though I vivdly dream about it and remember it when I wake up, I’ll somehow forget about the dream entirely, and his face that he takes upon will blur out. I don’t know who he is, why he’s so important to me, and why I can’t remember his face(s) or him in general. It honestly is quite hard to express my feelings and my situation right now. But I hope you could help me–I really want to know who he is (to me) and why this is happening. Maybe its just me :/ Maybe I just watch too many shows and movies.

June 2, 2019 at 11:25 am

Your subconscious creates people to serve as placeholders for a feeling or experience that you want to have. It seems like this guy transitions in each dream to play a different role for you. In some, he is a friend or someone to rescue you. In others, he is a lover. Each of these dreams and different relationships most likely represents the kind of experience or feeling that you want at that specific moment.

kurten

June 2, 2019 at 4:00 am

when i was ten years of age i had a dream of me and this girl which i was soon to fall in love with crossing paths at the new school that i just got transferred to and i most definitely remembered her face just as it happened in the dream the same way it happened that day and i had never ever saw he in real life only in dreams.this happened when i was 16 but now am 18 and still together with her this is when i got transferred because my mom had to move …..and i know am not crazy but it really feelings like i have been with her before.

June 2, 2019 at 11:14 am

Sometimes, the subconscious creates a placeholder for the person the dreamer wants to date or be with. Until you find someone who can really play this role, your subconscious may keep using the dream girl as a placeholder for the person you would like to meet and fall in love with someday. In the meantime, just enjoy the dreams!

Bryan Hernandez

June 1, 2019 at 5:33 pm

My gf said she had a dream about a guy that had tiny rolls and today she said she saw him and felt that she knew him from somewhere but doesn’t even know him

June 1, 2019 at 9:19 pm

Your girlfriend’s dream was a manifestation of various influences in her life. It is possible that this person appeared for a reason. However, she should make the decision to focus her energy on you. Nourish your relationship by spending additional time with her in person. Have a great day, Bryan!

Fiya

June 3, 2019 at 7:16 am

Hi,
      I had a really weird dream in which I visit the school I was previously studying in and some thing happens so me and my mom start talking about how dangerous it is to roam on the streets alone and just as we were about to enter some class this random lady with 2 other ladies stop us and starts taking about how it’s so dangerous now and all and she said something about how she knew some men who knew fighting and how she’ll be sending them to protect us. What really stood out to me in this dream was that this lady had really white eyes which were glowing. Except the pupil everything was white.

June 4, 2019 at 10:11 pm

Your dream is a reflection of various influences in your life. You are aware that there are dangers in the world, though this dream may be an indication that you will find benefit in abstaining from consuming violent and dramatic media. Be careful with your actions, though ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times. This will help to draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Fiya!

Yana

May 31, 2019 at 6:32 pm

Hi! I hope you could help me answer my questions. Soooo I have a dream about this boy that i’ve already seen in my past life, we were school mates before but its been so long since i have seen him, in addition to that, we don’t talk nor interact with each other even before, but on my dream he was with me when i ride the uv express and the jeepney on the way to school (as if we have something) (we have the same school on my dream),but he was so sweet and always smilling and he’s kind cute but he has a girlfriend in reality. What do you think does it mean? ….. Last question if you wake up on your dream for 2x and for the third time you wake up its already the reality does it mean anything? (But theres no negative thing happen on the dream, it is more on positivity)
    Btw,Thank you in advance 😊

June 1, 2019 at 2:30 pm

You feel a connection with this person from your last life. It seems as though the person in your dream is a positive influence in your life. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times. This will draw positive people and energy into your life. This person from your past man appear in the future. Have a great day, Yana!

Ashley

May 31, 2019 at 2:09 am

I had a dream about my crush we were in school. I was walking with my brother, past the sitting area in our school and he was sitting there with a girl next to him ( in real life this girl did have a crush on him not any more which was last year but this year I think this girl has a crush on him again but it’s not confirmed). I was walking them and I kept looking back but at some point, he was looking down at his phone then tried to look at me but we couldn’t catch each other eye because all of a sudden a group of people were walking past. I can’t stop thinking about it. In real life, he does keep looking at me and we do catch each other’s eye.

June 1, 2019 at 12:39 pm

Your dream is a reflection of various social and emotional relationships in your life. The presence of your brother and the girl who may have a crush on him could be a manifestation of your relationship with the person that you have a crush on. Make a decision about what you want for the future of this relationship. Speak with your crush about your thoughts and feelings, and nourish this relationship by spending additional time with him in person. Have a great day, Ashley!

Antonia

May 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm

I had a dream I was madly in love an we were both madly in love with each other. He was an unknown person. I feel I was older because my living daughter was older in my dream she is 9 right now. And there were also two other older daughters. I could actually feel love even when I woke up. We kissed so passionately. I woke feeling his lips. It was craziest feeling ever

May 30, 2019 at 10:24 pm

Your dream may be a reflection of your social and emotional desires. The person in your dream could be an amalgamation of various people in your life or qualities that you find attractive in a partner. This person may appear in your future. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Antonia!

Debbie

May 30, 2019 at 3:22 pm

Thanks for the insight! My dream is so embarrassing to talk about, but hopefully I can learn more from you.
    In real life I have a boyfriend and we have a long distance relationship, but I dreamt I had dry sex with a random guy named Noah. I’m guessing the dream means that I long for a more passionate and sexual connection with my partner?

May 30, 2019 at 10:19 pm

Your interpretation of your dream is likely correct. You may be attracted to people in your life, but you do not want to betray your partner. Make a decision about what you want for the future of this relationship. Determine if it is viable. If you want to strengthen your current relationship, then attempt to spend additional time with him in person. Have a great day, Debbie!

Ashley

May 30, 2019 at 2:57 am

I had a dream about a boy -who is new to my school- but he is unknown to me in real life and there is no boy new to my school in real life either. As he was new I was like his guide but when the bell rang – it was the end of lunch break- I lost him and I ran around the school searching for him at the end I didn’t find him. While I was walking up the stairs I had my best friends phone in my hand when I reached my class i handed it to her and
    I said “I lost him” she didn’t say anything
    Then I went to my class (maths) and I tripped and a girl ( a girl I knew) behind me giggled. When I got my test paper it got 9/20, D grade the same girl snatched the paper out of and hand a laughed at my grade I also said something but I can’t remember. I was stressed out as I was taking my seat, knowing a failed. A boy who is a twin sitting in front of me ( in real life) but in my dream, the boy’s brother (there are twins) who I use to have a crush on but not any more, was sitting next to him and just looked at me. And I said his name and he just nodded.

May 30, 2019 at 9:08 pm

Your dream is a reflection of various social and emotional influences in your life. The new boy could be a manifestation of your desire to maintain a romantic relationship with someone in your life. The other people in your dream could be reflections of other influences in your life. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times. Make a decision about what you want for your future and take appropriate action. Have a great day, Ashley!

Mariella

May 29, 2019 at 2:37 pm

I had a dream that my crush and a few people are travelling. Then my crush and I were being playful like hugging, running around and acting like a kid. What does that mean?

May 29, 2019 at 11:30 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. It seems as though you may want to maintain a relationship with your crush. Make a decision about what you want for your future. Speak with your crush about your thoughts and feelings. Nourish this relationship by spending additional time with your crush in person. Have a great day, Mariella!

Hima Bindu Chenagoni

May 29, 2019 at 1:36 pm

I dreamt about someone unknown is proving me wrong verbally can I get the meaning of it

May 29, 2019 at 11:26 pm

Dreams of being corrected may be an indication that you are aware of a mistake that you may have made in your life. However, this dream will bring you many benefits in the future. Ensure that you allow this dream to share your kindness and compassion at all times. Practice mindfulness, and this will help reduce similar mistakes in the future. This will help draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Hima!

Taccari Blue

May 29, 2019 at 9:37 am

I had a dream of someone that I admire and it came up like he was a father figure to me and I felt like it was real and I talked to him and he was very nice

May 29, 2019 at 11:18 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your thoughts and appreciation regarding the person that you admire. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times. This will help draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Taccari!

anna

May 28, 2019 at 8:42 pm

i dream of being kidnapped by a person who loves me but i don’t even know who he is .. what does that mean?

May 28, 2019 at 9:26 pm

Dreams of being kidnapped are often manifestations of concerns or worries in your life. The person who loves you is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will draw positive people and energy toward you. Have a great day, Anna!

Krikri

June 2, 2019 at 5:17 pm

I dreamt of having fun with my 1year younger friends then there’s this guy im not close with whenever we encounter him he makes fun of me. He told my my friends while I’m there that “She’s pretty, but you know, ugliest of the pretty”. I laughed at him because i don’t understand why he’s there and kept making fun of me whenever we meet.

June 4, 2019 at 9:39 pm

Your dream is a reflection of various social relationships that you have in your life. You may be developing feelings for the guy that you are close with. It is possible that his behaviors of teasing you are indications that he has similar feelings as well. Ensure that this dream guides you to make a decision about what you want for your future. Speak with him about your thoughts and feelings. Nourish this relationship by spending additional time with him in person. Have a great day, Krikri!

Imahta

May 27, 2019 at 10:17 pm

I’m so glad I came acroos this article.

I had this dream last night, it was so vivid and the feelings are just so fresh and real to me.. it got me thinking this morning.. I dreamt that I was is in a committed relationship (and I’m currently in one rn) then some other guy popped out and confessed his feelings to me, I was so confused up to the point that my boyfriend in my dream had to talk and intervene with the other guy.. my boyfriend was a workaholic in my dream and is so busy.. I felt so sorry for causing him more trouble.. at the end of my dream.. I went to his office and and caught him resting his leg, his sleeves all rolled up, he was resting.. I then immedietly ran to his side and hug him.. and I said to him “I wouldn’t trade you for anything, I love you” and he said “‘me too, I wouldn’t trade you for anything babe”.. and I said I’m sorry for causing trouble.. but he just kissed me in the head and hug me tighter..

When I woke up.. I felt like crying.. I felt so loved.. but the thing is.. I didn’t feel that the guy in my dream and my boyfriend rn in the real world are the same person..

I can’t help but to think about the dream I had last night..

May 27, 2019 at 11:35 pm

This dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. You are uncertain about your relationship with your partner. It is possible that this dream is a reflection of the future of this relationship. Nourish your relationship with your partner by spending additional time with him in person. During that time, make a decision about what you want for the future of this relationship. Have a great day, Imahta!

Deniz

June 3, 2019 at 6:53 am

Greetings from Turkey!
        Im here with my friends recommendation. Last night my dream was so real I thought its real life. I found the love of my life(i havent seen this person before). Everything was so fast but I was really in love, but I cant tell if he was feeling same feelings for me, also I was doubting about his feelings and afraid about this too i guess. I really got along with his friends too(i never got along with my ex bf s friends, also broke up one month ago). And in the mean time i was graduating( my best friend is going to graduate and my gruaduation will be next year). My best friend was dissapeared and there was someone who is at same age with her(2 years older from me) I was borrowing jewelry(not valuable but fitting to my graduation dress)from her. I couldnt find my boyfriend at the same time. I realized i didnt call him till now. I think that i should call him. He picked in the first second. He told me to meet up in cafeteria. But i couldnt find him. I woke up and wanted to sleep again to continue to dream. And then he suprisingly asked me to marry him. I was the happiest people in tje world because i thought he was breaking up with me and leaving me. On the contrary he asked me to mrry him. And i didnt even remember saying him yes i just hugged him in tears.
        This was my dream. Im so touched with it. Im looking forward to your reply.
        Sincerely
        Deniz

June 4, 2019 at 10:08 pm

Firstly, please thank your friend on our behalf for the recommendation. We love hearing that members of our community have found benefit in the thoughts and feelings of members of our community. The recent end of your relationship and your desire to find a quality partner may have caused this dream to manifest. The person in your dream may be a reflection of someone in your life, or he may be an amalgamation of various qualities that you find attractive in a partner. Ensure that this dream guides you in a positive direction. You will draw positive people and energy into your life by sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Deniz!