What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone You Don’t Know?

By on September 4, 2017

When you dream about someone you know, you have a place to start interpreting the dream. They may have appeared because you like them or because they represent a certain kind of quality that you want to have in your waking life. When you do not know the person who appears in your dream, it can be extremely disconcerting. You see them in your dreams, but you can’t tell what they mean because you have never met them in real life. There are a few reasons why you may have an unknown person appear in your dreams though.

dreaming about someone

Your subconscious creates the dreams that you have each night. Currently, neurologists believe that the neurons in your mind fire at random. The images, memories and thoughts that are released are jumbled and completely random. The story in your dreams is put together by the rest of your mind when you wake up and the mind tries to make sense of your dreams.

This is one possible reason why random people appear in your dream. You may have seen them on television or in line behind you at Starbucks. You never consciously noticed them or thought about them, but their image was imprinted into your memory. Because of this, you dreamed about them and your mind just tried to make sense of the memories later on.

Filling a Void

If the neurologists are wrong, your dreams have a subconscious meaning of some sort. If they do, then perhaps your mind is trying to fill some subconscious need, desire or fear. If the person is positive in your dream, you may want to have someone happy and supportive in your real life. If they are chasing you, you may fear that an unknown force or person is working against you. If you dream about an unknown person being your lover, it may represent a desire to have a new romance or increased passion in your life.

It is very easy to believe that the person you see in your dreams is real. It is actually possible that they could be real because you may have seen them at random in your real life. At the same time, they are not someone with a deeper meaning. They give the meaning to the dream, but they themselves mean very little. If you dream of falling in love with an unknown person, it is highly unlikely that you will ever meet them in real life. Instead, they are just someone your subconscious chose to use to represent a feeling, situation, person or something else.

Aspects of Yourself

Sometimes, the people who show up in your dream just represent one of your personality traits or an aspect that you want in your life. For example, you may feel like the entire world is out to get you. Nothing seems to go right. Friends and family members you once trusted have betrayed you, and you are constantly criticized at work. In this scenario, you may dream that an unknown stranger arrives to help you and protect you. This is not because that stranger is actually going to appear in your life. Instead, it is just a sign that you want someone who will help or protect you. Your subconscious was unable to choose someone else to fill the role because you do not have someone like that in your present environment.

In other cases, the dream represents an aspect that you would like to have. Perhaps you are the type of person who works 9 to 5 at a respectable, stable job. You are a dutiful spouse and parent, and you are always on top of things at home. You may dream that a fun, playful person appears in your dreams. This may happen as a representation of the qualities you want in your waking life. You want to have spontaneous experiences and fun, so your subconscious mind lets you experience things in your dreams.

There are times when a stranger appears in your dreams to make you question your waking existence once again. It can be extremely hard to analyze your own thoughts and habits. Sometimes, the only way to gain perspective is when someone else does or thinks the same things. The person in your dream may be a mirror reflection of yourself. It may be a chance for you to wake up, realize the changes that you want and go for them.

Dreams can be extremely, extremely subjective. Because of this, it is important to look at your own dreams and analyze the feelings, people and experiences that occur. By analyzing your dream, you can figure out how it reflects on your own life and subconscious mind. With that knowledge, you can decide what it means when you dream about someone you don’t know.

Cody

May 5, 2019 at 7:50 am

I had a dream about being back in High School and at the end of it me and 4 other people were sitting at a table (1 I’ve seen in real life, others are unknown) but then this girl I was in the dream with since the start of it all, came up to me and noticed I was with people so she got upset and left so I ran after her and jumped off the edge to catch up with her and I pulled out a ring and she said yes instantly and I woke up (I wish I knew who this girl was because it made me happy for once in a while)

May 5, 2019 at 3:50 pm

Your dream is a reflection of various influences in your life. It is possible that you are interested in nourishing a strong relationship with someone. The person in your dream could appear in your life in the future. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times. This will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, Cody!

Lareesa Reynolds

May 5, 2019 at 4:49 am

Hi I’m sorry but the dream is bothering me but in a good good way. Lol so last night I dreamed about a man name Thoedore very sexy, bug, looks Italian or something hughe like the hulk jet black long hair and it’s killing me I can’t find this man in real life. Is is possible I can find him in real life? Is is possible that he’s real? Big question is…How do I go about finding and contacting him? I know it’s werid but I’ve looked online and little to no luck. But I cant stop. It’s like I feel in real love with this man, we made love and kissed and he was my type very sexy what I been looking for. I really want to find this man in real life. ( Help me lol) 🙂 thanks….

May 5, 2019 at 2:06 pm

It is possible that this person in your dream is from your distant past. He may come into your life in the future. He may have been a reflection of qualities of people that you are attracted to. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times. This will help draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Lareesa!

emannuel

May 5, 2019 at 2:13 am

my new friend told me about something she dreamed of me before we me what does it mean

May 5, 2019 at 1:08 pm

Your friend’s dream may be an indication of her feelings for you. She shared her dream with you, so she wanted you to know that she has been thinking about you. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times. Nourish this relationship by spending additional time with her in person. Have a great day, Emannuel!

Khione

May 3, 2019 at 10:53 pm

I have this dream about a angel face-like guy that i didn’t know, he rejected the girl (that i didn’t know too) who like him for me. But i rejected him because i have a boyfriend, which is true.

So what does this mean?

May 4, 2019 at 4:35 pm

Your dream is a reflection of various influences in your life. Within your dream, you rejected this person because you are in a relationship. This is a positive dream. Ensure that you nourish your relationship with your partner by spending additional time with him in person. This will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, Khione!

Shine

May 4, 2019 at 6:34 pm

i have this dream last night that me and this boy whom i never seen before are going out we had so much fun and everytime he touch my hand I felt happy and at the same time my heart is clenching like its sad and hurting and i could feel his warmth which is very weird. so the next scenario is we are in the church many people gathered there too then there is a little girl it seems like she is possessed by a bad spirit so we are all praying for her I was so scared because she is glaring at me and that boy held my hand and its like he’s giving me strength so I prayed hard with all my heart and looked at the little girls eyes a moment later the bad spririt is gone and the little girl is fine now. and at this moment the boy is hurt and scared i don’t know why but he wont look at me and then i tried to talk to him and he looked straight into my eyes and hugged me one last time and that’s the end of my dream.. sounds very weird but all dreams are weird haha

May 4, 2019 at 9:47 pm

Your dream is a reflection of various influences in your life. Your religious or spiritual beliefs have appeared in this dream. You will find great benefit in abstaining from consuming violent and dramatic media. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, Shine!

April

May 3, 2019 at 5:08 pm

I have a dream a man same age around me. I don’t know him, I never see his face. But the dream all about his confession to me and I just trying to avoid him. And that guy live somewhere in my neighbourhood and my cousin and my schoolmates know him, something like that. But in reality I’m a kind of person never look someone face I don’t know or just a random people. What does this dream mean?

May 4, 2019 at 3:53 pm

Your dream may be a reflection of your social and emotional desires. The person in your dream could be an amalgamation of various people in your life. Make a decision about what you want for your future. If there is someone in your life that you want to nourish a relationship with, then spend additional time with that person. Have a great day, April!

Cristmey

May 3, 2019 at 12:46 pm

I dreamt about being with someone I haven’t met before. We we’re driving, he let’s me drive his car, teaching me how to. ( I don’t know how to drive in real life)
    And we went to a restaurant. It was day time. We sat down and looked at each other…….. then i woke up.

May 4, 2019 at 4:18 pm

Your dream may be a reflection of your social and emotional relationship. It is possible that you are interested in nourishing a relationship with someone that helps you grow. Determine what you want for your future. If there is someone in your life that you want to maintain a relationship with, then speak with that person about your thoughts and feelings. Have a great day, Cristmey!

JJ

May 3, 2019 at 12:23 pm

So ive been trying to figure out my dreams for a while. Yes im a guy on a female website, but im looking for answers. I dreamed about a woman my whole life, she has always been around the same age as me. I remember everything about her in my dreams but when i wake up i loose all memory about her other then the memory that i knew she was there. For over 20 years i just pushed it off and didnt worry about it untill 4 years ago. We always protected each other everywhere we were in the dreams. As i was a late teen to early adulthood she started meaning more and more to me the more and more we saw eachother. I always searched for her in the day when i was awake, but never found her. I moved around the country a lot and now im in Utah. I got married and thats when things changed. She showed up more in my dreams and i felt free with her but trapped when i was awake. My marriage started going down and i almost got a divorce. One day i ran into her. We lookied into each other’s eyes and instantly knew who each other was, we talked about our dreams too. She helped my marriage get strong again. My wife is best friends with her now too, but she does not know that she is the one in my dreams. Her and i do NOT have sexual interest in each other, its more like brother/sister protector relationship. Her and i both feel like we have been together in past lives but is that posable? How can i dream about her before i knew her? Has anybody else have this happen to them before? Now that we know each other will we loose our connection?

May 4, 2019 at 4:12 pm

It is possible that the two of you shared a strong emotional relationship in your last life. This could explain the strength of your current relationship. You are aware that each of you do not have romantic feelings for each other. It is unlikely that the two of you will lose your connection. Nourish your relationship with your wife by spending additional time with her in person. Have a great day, JJ!

Aza

May 3, 2019 at 7:52 am

My friend dreams about someone who she don’t know, like her boyfriend’s friend(classmate) and even his ex girlfriend who she doesn’t met nor see in a picture but can identify her. She also dreamed about her died brother she doesn’t met and can describe her looks. What is it?

May 4, 2019 at 3:23 pm

Your friend’s dream seems to be a reflection of various social and emotional influences in her life. It is possible that she is aware of the relationship between her partner and his ex. She will find benefit by allowing this dream to fade. She should nourish her relationship with her partner by spending additional time with him in person. Have a great day, Aza!

Maddie

May 3, 2019 at 4:04 am

I had a dream where I was at a basketball game and I seen this boy and he was flirting with me so I did it back than later on we kinda fell in love, any ideas on what this means?

May 4, 2019 at 2:58 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. You may spend a lot of time at sporting events. It is possible that you want to maintain a relationship with someone who you share hobbies and interests with. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times. This will help draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Maddie!

Thampi

May 2, 2019 at 6:30 pm

I had a dream that I was in a resort. I went there for my interview with a person. After interview I went to another room to kill a stranger. I killed him, police came they interrogated me I said I saw a person going to that romm with a knife. But in my inner mind I know I killed him. Police allowed me to go from hotel and told to come whenever they call me. But after some time I thought why should I lie.so I decided to tell truth and went back to hotel but there was no police there was no killed person I was in that hotel room sitting alone and writing the police petition on my own.

Please tell me what is this. Could you please explain

May 4, 2019 at 1:59 pm

Your dream is a reflection of various influences in your life. During your dream, you made the decision to not lie. Abstain from consuming violent and dramatic media in the future, as this reduce the frequency of similar dreams occurring in the future. This is a positive dream. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will bring your people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Thampi!

Mai

May 2, 2019 at 3:28 pm

So I have a dream about this guy and we were like friends but in the dream I liked him and we go on dates and he would always hold my hand and we would do cute stuff on the car whenever we’re going somewhere but then suddenly he cut contacts idk why but when I saw him again in my dream he had a little sister and he was like a model and when I spoke to him he just gave me a smile HONESTLY PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THIS MEANS HIS LITERALLY MY DREAM BOY

May 4, 2019 at 1:42 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. He is likely an amalgamation of various people in your life. It is possible that he will appear in your future. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times. This will help draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Mai!

Mai

May 2, 2019 at 3:28 pm

May 4, 2019 at 1:42 pm

cecilia

May 2, 2019 at 11:21 am

I had another dream that I can’t forget, I was in someone’s house I was looking outside a window and there was this man in a suit and he had one of those big head made out of paper it was round and he was just staring at me that was when I screamed waking up thinking about it. What does this mean does he mean anything?

May 2, 2019 at 2:57 pm

Your dream seems to be a manifestation of a fear or concern in your life. If you have similar dreams in the future, then address whatever is causing you to feel uncomfortable about its purpose in your dream. This will help reduce similar dreams from manifesting in the future. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will help draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Cecilia!

cecilia

May 2, 2019 at 11:16 am

I had a dream of my stepbrother was smiling at me it was weird because I felt happy about it or something does this mean something or is it just my mind playing with me?

May 2, 2019 at 2:55 pm

Your dream is a manifestation of your social and emotional relationship with your step brother. It is likely that the two of you are close. Nourish your relationship by spending additional time with him in person. This will help strengthen your relationship. Have a great day, Cecilia!

Yash

May 2, 2019 at 1:02 am

Okay so I had this dream where I go to some sort of place with my dad and then I meet some people. So when I was dreaming I knew these people but then when I woke up I realised I did not know them at all. They said that I’ve been there after a long time and we’ve been friends since childhood. It was Christmas and apparently I go there every Christmas but last Christmas I could not go there because of some academic issues. It all seemed so real and whatever they said then, I actually felt happened( in my dreams ). Can you explain me what this means?

May 2, 2019 at 2:05 pm

Your dream is a manifestation of various emotional and social relationships. The appearance of Christmas in your dream could be a sign of your connection and memories with this holiday. It is possible that there is something in your life that you are not giving enough attention to. Make a decision about what you need to focus on in your life. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Yash!

Maria

May 1, 2019 at 9:00 pm

I dream about clowns. For a fifteen year old, i think its quite odd. Considering that I dont have traumatic experiences with them and I dont really think its a phobia. I dream about them chasing me or looking for me while im in so much fear. I end up waking up, my heart racing rapidly when they get to me in my dream. What does this mean?

May 2, 2019 at 1:43 pm

Clowns are a common character type in movies and film. It does not seem as though you have a problem with clowns. Since you are being chased in your dreams, you should address whoever or whatever is chasing you your future dreams. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will reduce the frequency of similar dreams in the future. Have a great day, Maria!

Stephanie Aporto

May 1, 2019 at 6:27 pm

I dreamt about a man who i completely don’t know, we were so sweet to each other what does this mean?

May 1, 2019 at 10:51 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. It is possible that this person is from your distance past. He may manifest in your future. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times. This will draw positive people and energy toward you. Have a great day, Stephanie!

SOFT BABA

May 2, 2019 at 10:13 pm

It means that you will actually have a romantic relationship with someone new all you need to do is work towards it and make the dream come true, You have already been showed in your dream how the relationship with the new guy is gonna be like . So whenever you get to meet the guy just give him a chance so your dream will come to past ✌️✍🏿

May 4, 2019 at 2:31 pm

Thank you for sharing your insights and experiences. It is certain that your comments will support members of our community. Please share more of your supportive comments in the future. Have a great day, Baba!

Ellie

May 3, 2019 at 5:45 am

I had a dream about cuddling with some random guy and we where getting closer and sort of forming a relationship and closer to the end we where pretty much dating what does this mean for me?

May 4, 2019 at 3:11 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. It is possible that you are interested in maintaining a new relationship. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times. This will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Ellie!

Angela

May 1, 2019 at 4:00 pm

I dreamt me and my boyfriend and a couple of friends went to meet our friends overseas. We were all hanging out but I noticed there’s this girl whom me and my boyfriend has never met in real life, nor have we spoke to each other on social media platforms, but we both know of her existence, i noticed, that the girl and my boyfriend was having an eye contact together and they were talking, like there’s more to it. Like they like each other? And i felt so invisible, like I wasn’t there. Please help what does this mean?

May 1, 2019 at 10:45 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social influences and concerns. This dream does not mean that your partner is nourishing a relationship with someone else. You are aware that your partner has friendships with other people. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times. Nourish your relationship with your partner, as this will strengthen your relationship. Have a great day, Angela!

Maria

May 1, 2019 at 9:39 am

I dream of clowns. For a 15 year old, I think its a little odd, considering that I dont have a traumatic experience with clowns. Sometimes, they are chasing me. Sometimes, they are looking for me. It makes me scared of them. These kinds of dreams are only about clowns. What does this mean?

May 1, 2019 at 10:16 pm

Andrea

May 1, 2019 at 2:23 am

So i has this dream about a cute guy i don’t even knew existed. It’s kinda complicated because all I remember is that he had dark curly hair. He was so nice and it feels like I’ve dreamt about him before, but I’m not sure. So all of this happened in my great grandma’s house. We had a relationship even though we didn’t kiss, I only remember kissing him from before. I liked it a lot and he was like the most perfect guy ever! We held hands and hugged each other. Then he whispered “promise me, in three years we’re going to do it” and gave me his pinky for a “pinky promise” I don’t know what that means lol. Then I don’t remember more than waking up disappointed because all of this was just a dream..

May 1, 2019 at 9:34 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. It is possible that this person will appear in your future. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will help draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Andrea!