What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone You Don’t Know?

By on September 4, 2017

When you dream about someone you know, you have a place to start interpreting the dream. They may have appeared because you like them or because they represent a certain kind of quality that you want to have in your waking life. When you do not know the person who appears in your dream, it can be extremely disconcerting. You see them in your dreams, but you can’t tell what they mean because you have never met them in real life. There are a few reasons why you may have an unknown person appear in your dreams though.

dreaming about someone

Your subconscious creates the dreams that you have each night. Currently, neurologists believe that the neurons in your mind fire at random. The images, memories and thoughts that are released are jumbled and completely random. The story in your dreams is put together by the rest of your mind when you wake up and the mind tries to make sense of your dreams.

This is one possible reason why random people appear in your dream. You may have seen them on television or in line behind you at Starbucks. You never consciously noticed them or thought about them, but their image was imprinted into your memory. Because of this, you dreamed about them and your mind just tried to make sense of the memories later on.

Filling a Void

If the neurologists are wrong, your dreams have a subconscious meaning of some sort. If they do, then perhaps your mind is trying to fill some subconscious need, desire or fear. If the person is positive in your dream, you may want to have someone happy and supportive in your real life. If they are chasing you, you may fear that an unknown force or person is working against you. If you dream about an unknown person being your lover, it may represent a desire to have a new romance or increased passion in your life.

It is very easy to believe that the person you see in your dreams is real. It is actually possible that they could be real because you may have seen them at random in your real life. At the same time, they are not someone with a deeper meaning. They give the meaning to the dream, but they themselves mean very little. If you dream of falling in love with an unknown person, it is highly unlikely that you will ever meet them in real life. Instead, they are just someone your subconscious chose to use to represent a feeling, situation, person or something else.

Aspects of Yourself

Sometimes, the people who show up in your dream just represent one of your personality traits or an aspect that you want in your life. For example, you may feel like the entire world is out to get you. Nothing seems to go right. Friends and family members you once trusted have betrayed you, and you are constantly criticized at work. In this scenario, you may dream that an unknown stranger arrives to help you and protect you. This is not because that stranger is actually going to appear in your life. Instead, it is just a sign that you want someone who will help or protect you. Your subconscious was unable to choose someone else to fill the role because you do not have someone like that in your present environment.

In other cases, the dream represents an aspect that you would like to have. Perhaps you are the type of person who works 9 to 5 at a respectable, stable job. You are a dutiful spouse and parent, and you are always on top of things at home. You may dream that a fun, playful person appears in your dreams. This may happen as a representation of the qualities you want in your waking life. You want to have spontaneous experiences and fun, so your subconscious mind lets you experience things in your dreams.

There are times when a stranger appears in your dreams to make you question your waking existence once again. It can be extremely hard to analyze your own thoughts and habits. Sometimes, the only way to gain perspective is when someone else does or thinks the same things. The person in your dream may be a mirror reflection of yourself. It may be a chance for you to wake up, realize the changes that you want and go for them.

Dreams can be extremely, extremely subjective. Because of this, it is important to look at your own dreams and analyze the feelings, people and experiences that occur. By analyzing your dream, you can figure out how it reflects on your own life and subconscious mind. With that knowledge, you can decide what it means when you dream about someone you don’t know.

PurplePoweraid

April 30, 2019 at 5:53 pm

So I had a dream about a girl I’ve literally never met in my life. And in the dream she was infatuated with me and I was her even though we just met in the dream everything changed. Well i opened my eyes for a quick minute went back to bed and i had a completely different dream but with the same girl, but in this dream she hadn’t acknowledged me but I had the same feelings for her as soon as I saw her.

April 30, 2019 at 11:32 pm

Your dream is a reflection of various social and emotional influences in your life. It is possible that this person is from your distant past. She may appear in your future. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times. This will help draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Purple!

Park Angel

April 30, 2019 at 5:49 pm

I have dreams. Some of them are about guys who I don’t know but we have this romantic relationship. Sometimes, the dream ends happily, but sometimes, it also ends up where we split up. What does this mean?
    Other dreams are about the same thing, about a guy who i am in a relationship with but its like I cant see their face. What does this mean?
    lastly most of the time, i get dreams wherein a fall and it causes me to wake up like I died? Its that kind of feeling, and my heart also beats fast for a couple of minutes after waking up. What does this mean?

April 30, 2019 at 11:29 pm

It sounds like you have various influences in your life that your dreams are attempting to help you understand. First, you should make a decision about what you want for your future. If you are happy in your relationship, then spend additional time with him in person, as this will nourish your relationship. Second, you should reduce dramatic influences in your life. This will help you make decisions based on what you want, rather than the media and social relationships that influence you. Have a great day, Angel!

Angelika

April 30, 2019 at 5:48 pm

April 30, 2019 at 11:29 pm

It sounds like you have various influences in your life that your dreams are attempting to help you understand. First, you should make a decision about what you want for your future. If you are happy in your relationship, then spend additional time with him in person, as this will nourish your relationship. Second, you should reduce dramatic influences in your life. This will help you make decisions based on what you want, rather than the media and social relationships that influence you. Have a great day, Angelika!

Rose Andrea

April 29, 2019 at 8:34 am

Had a dream last night.
    Saw a big hand holding my hand but when I tried to at the person I go blind but when I look down I can see the hand clearly
    Please what does that mean

April 29, 2019 at 7:05 pm

The blindness in your dream may be a reflection of your uncertainty about your future. It is possible that you are interested in nourishing a new relationship. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will help draw positive people and energy toward you. Have a great day, Rose!

Yoshi

April 28, 2019 at 2:09 pm

Hello! I have a boyfriend I’ve been with for 7 months now and last night I dreamed about this girl I follow on social media I like her because of her posts she’s funny! I never met her or talked to her in real life though. I do not know her at all. Never had feelings for her either. She appeared in my dream last night where I was in her house it was somewhat big I guess she was at her desk she had stockings on, some short shorts and a ting top all black the room was dimmed. She had red color hair she look like she would in real life tbh. She and I were talking (I don’t remember how I got inside and stuff) we were flirting for awhile a little touching here and there I remember liking it a lot she then offered to take it to the bedroom and then I snapped into reality like oh I have a boyfriend and we both sat there in silence like oh and then I felt bad cuz I forgot??? Then she told me to go back to the waiting room?? I remember she kept playing with my butt tho I was just in my underwear and a ting top then idk what happened I woke up I felt bad lol cuz I never cheated on my boyfriend or thought about it either so this dream was hella confusing ??

April 28, 2019 at 10:23 pm

Your dream is a reflection of various influences in your life. Allow the relationship aspects of your dream to fade. It is possible that you have a woman in your life that you have been strengthening a relationship with. Nourish your relationship with your partner by spending additional time with him in person. Have a great day, Yoshi!

Kodak

April 28, 2019 at 10:29 am

I’ve had these dreams where there is a strange male following me. It’s like I’m going along with my life then feel that “I’m being followed” feeling and I go to mention this to whoever is with my in this dream and I can not speak about anything regarding this strange person. And then this strange person looks at me like smirking about the fact I can not tell anyone.

The stranger is never the same person, and always an unknown person to me.

Whenever this dream occurs I’m waking in a fright and not being able to get back to sleep easily.

April 28, 2019 at 10:18 pm

Your dream may be a reflection of a fear or concern that you may have in your life. If you are chased or followed in a future dream, then address that person about your thoughts and feelings within the dream. This will help reduce the manifestation of similar dreams in the future. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life, as this will bring positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Kodak!

RH

April 27, 2019 at 7:48 pm

that’s to strange. i often dream about date with the mysterious guy and end up fallin in love until in reality.

April 28, 2019 at 8:29 pm

The person in your dream may be a reflection of various influences in your life. It is possible that the person in your dream is an amalgamation of people who are in your life. Make a decision about what you want for your future. Share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life, as this will draw positive people and energy toward you. Have a great day, Rh!

Maria

April 27, 2019 at 4:24 am

Last night I had a dream and I was in a shopping centre with these three other people I don’t know, there was one girl and two boys. They were the same age as me and we were all ‘friends’. We were all just hanging out and it was so weird because I didn’t know who they were but I just for some reason knew stuff about them… So I just went along with it. And I could tell the girl was closer to one of the guys than with other, so that left me with the other guy. He just had this really positive vibe around him and I could remember us play fighting, after that I remember the girl nudged my shoulder as if to tell me ‘I know you like him’. I remember telling her I don’t and denying everything she was telling me. I know deep down though I did like him. I just didn’t want him to know. It’s so weird because I’ve never met this person in real life, and all the sudden I just had feelings for him.

April 28, 2019 at 3:05 pm

This person from your dream may be an amalgamation of various people who are in your life. It is possible that there is someone that you may be interested in maintaining a relationship with. Make a decision about what you want for your future. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will help draw positive people and energy toward you. Have a great day, Maria!

jenna

April 26, 2019 at 3:49 pm

yesterday i had a dream of an actor / film character and i really enjoyed it because he was really kind, soft and there for me but at one point i had to share him with my best friend, whom i’m fighting with at the moment, and suddenly my new lover transformed into her current boyfriend and went off with her and i was so mad when i woke up.

April 27, 2019 at 6:14 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your relationships and influences. Make a decision about what you want for your future. It seems as though you need to make a decision about what you want for the future of your relationships. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Jenna!

Sandra

April 26, 2019 at 4:56 am

A couple of weeks ago i mentioned that about my nightmares and how there is this guy that i don’t know but still appears in my dreams and somehow makes at least that part of the dream worth remembering. Later on, i talked to that person in real life in order to stop those dreams because i couldn’t understand why he shows up in my dreams every few days, also i thought that once i talk to him i’d stop dreaming about him. And my guess was right, at first, i stopped dreaming about him, and whenever we come across each other we just greet. Yesterday, however, i dreamed about him again, in the dream there was a group of people with us and a brunette green-eyed girl, in particular, we were at a very dark place that seemed like it was the only few rooms in the entire existence, there was no light anywhere but the rooms. The brunette girl was in the room across from me, and whenever this guy visited that room, i felt unbelievable fury in the dream, then decided to not pay attention to it, yet ended up confronting him somehow. the brunette girl was a manipulative person as later i discover that she was behind the local we were in and was trying to get the guy in her holds. I don’t remember much after that, only my conversation with the guy.
    I am so confused about the dream and about why i saw him in my dream again after thinking that it had stopped. what could be the meaning behind this?

April 27, 2019 at 4:34 pm

It sounds as though your previous and recent dreams are reflections of your social relationships. It is certain that you will find benefit in abstaining from consuming violent and dramatic media. If this brunette from your dream appears in your life, then you may want to speak with that person as well. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times. If you have similar dreams in the future, then address the people in your dream regarding their purpose while you are dreaming about them. Have a great day, Sandra!

Mary

April 24, 2019 at 9:40 pm

I had a dream last night that i was strolling in the park trying to look for a way and then an unknown girl come to me which i thought she looks familiar that i unconsciously called her name which the girl response to the name i called her. She asked me “Who are you with”. I easily replied that im with someone and an unknown guy appeared which i felt he seems familiar that i almost call his name. Both of them hold both of my hands and led me to the gym to watch a performance. ” Why are we here” i asled both of them. The unknown guy replied ” to watch my sister perform on stage. Then that unknown sister is strangely familiar too. All i know the unknown guy was holding my left hand tight as if we were lovers and my right hand is being held by the unknown girl which i feel safe around her. I dont know any of them but they felt so familiar that i know for real but i am an introvert person who never go out and meet people. What does my dream means to me?

April 25, 2019 at 12:32 pm

Your dream is a reflection of a wide variety of social and emotional influences in your life. It is possible that you are interested in making new friends. You may want to explore. It is possible that the media that you watch appeared in this dream. Make a decision about what you want for your future, and take appropriate action. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Mary!

Chong

April 24, 2019 at 6:59 pm

I have never dream of anyone. But recently there was a guy whom we used to text with each other, he told me I appeared in his dream. He said I am the one who will beside him when he’s facing ups and downs. What does this means?

April 25, 2019 at 12:20 pm

He shares a strong social and emotional connection with you. You appeared in his dream because of the relationship that you share. He decided to inform you of your dream, which is an indication that he is interested in nourishing your relationship. Spend additional time with him in person, as this will strengthen your relationship. Have a great day, Chong!

Shane

April 24, 2019 at 5:42 pm

In my dream I saw a man I’ve never seen before. I was surprised because I was sitting with my friends in a restaurant and all of a sudden he hugged me. his hug was warm at first but then he hugged me very tightly.. his face was very clear in my dream but when I woke up I can’t remember his face

April 25, 2019 at 12:17 pm

Your dream is a reflection of various social and emotional influences in your life. This person may have been an amalgamation of various people in your life. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will help draw positive people and energy toward you. Have a great day, Shane!

Kate

April 24, 2019 at 12:56 pm

I had a dream about a man whom i dont know. I cant see his face clearly, but i was certain that he keeps on smirking whenever i looked at him. It is as if he knows me, and he enjoys haunting me. And it was like “this is not the right time to finally know me” scene in a movie, and he’ll just vanished. It was so confusing.
    This is my third time of seeing him in my dream. I dont wanna see him anymore, he’ kinda creepy.

April 25, 2019 at 12:29 pm

You are no longer interested in seeing this person in your dream. If he appears in the future, then address him about his presence in your dream. You will find benefit in abstaining from consuming violent and dramatic media. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life, as this will reduce the frequency of similar dreams from occurring. Have a great day, Kate!

Chantal Lessard

April 23, 2019 at 10:56 pm

I actually dreamt of a man I never met before. In my dream, I was standing near the staircase, seeing through my eyes a tall bald black man walking down my stairs. I say something to him but I cannot hear. In my dream I knew him, but I did not in real life. Never met or encounter anyone like that. I woke up in a cold sweat, actually thinking someone is in my house, but no one was. For over a year this dream haunt my mind….until one blizzard day where I was strandred home (coincidence) I hear a knock at my door. I answer and there stood all bundled up except for his eyes was this tall black man. Instant connection between us… like forces of nature pulling us together.. The feeling is like someone you have have not seen in forever. I could not explain it. He moved in with me 3 weeks later. A month after that I was pregnant…several months later, my dream played out.
    I was hungry and baby craving burger. So i sent him out to get me one… told him what i wanted as he walked down my stairs.. Tall bald black man …MY DREAM… like watching a movie for the second time. I froze in shock. Still to this day I cannot explain how or why… we are both still bonded in a way that we cannot explain.

April 25, 2019 at 11:30 am

The experience that you shared with this person is powerful. It is possible that your dream was a manifestation of the future. It is clear that the two of you have met and decided to make a life together. It is likely that this will be a lifelong relationship that will be based on kindness and compassion. Ensure that you nourish your relationship by spending additional time with him in person as often as you are able to do so. Have a great day, Chantal!

Kit

April 23, 2019 at 7:24 pm

i had a dream of someone i didn’t know but she was already dead. i saw her picture and was able to search her social media account. i didn’t know the reason but i was really interested abut her. then, i met her lover before she died (he was also a stranger). the guy was still struggling because of her death. i was constantly helping him to be able to move on and he’s refusing it. he’s deeply in love with his late lover. then i realize i fell in love with the stranger man.

April 23, 2019 at 9:10 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your knowledge of death. It seems that you are aware of the suffering in the world. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will not only bring you many benefits, but will bring positive energy into the world. Have a great day, Kit!

Joyce

April 22, 2019 at 11:54 pm

I had a dream last night. There is this boy whom I am actually comfortable anywhere we go (In my dreams). I don’t know who he is but in my dream it feels like I’ve known him for a long time. It’s weird for me because in my dream, we are really close to each other and there are skin ship’s happened between us as if we are a couple. In my dream, I remember how he looks like, but when I woke up I can’t remember how he looks like.

April 23, 2019 at 7:44 pm

This person in your dream is a reflection of someone who may be from your distant past. This person may come into your life in the future. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will help draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Joyce!

Jade smith

April 22, 2019 at 2:23 pm

I had a dream
    Felt someone come into my bedroom
    Then thought “no one would come in without my permission”
    Then I heard or sensed someone sleeping
    Then I wake up fully in the bed (in my dream)
    Shout out for my mom but she’s sleeping
    My voice is not so loud but I was trying to scream
    I get out of the bed
    Said what are you doing
    I get out of the bed and I’m in my bra and nickers. And he is topless
    And go to my moms room
    Tell her what’s happened
    She said what did you say to him but she’s not panicked

The guy looked like my friends ex partner who treated her badly (lied to her). I don’t really know her partner I’ve meet him once or twice but not had a conversation.

But I have been talking to a guy online for 9 months but I’ve never met him. I have been trying to make the decision to meet him or not and if I would be safe.

I don’t think I was so scared in the dream but I was more thinking how dare you invade my privacy like this. I think I felt like he was not gnna hurt me. I’m a female

April 22, 2019 at 6:55 pm

Your dream is a reflection of various influences in your life. It is possible that the person in your dream was a reflection of your friend’s ex. The person that you are speaking with now is a stranger, so it is possible that you have some concerns regarding your future relationships. Make a decision about what you want for your future. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Jade!

Joyce

April 22, 2019 at 10:28 pm

April 23, 2019 at 7:43 pm

Joey

April 22, 2019 at 7:37 am

I had a dream that I was in a relationship with a guy that I didn’t know and one of my closest friends was there just like hanging out with me and the guy who I was apparently dating and I don’t know who this guy is and I remember feeling very attracted to this person.

April 22, 2019 at 6:48 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. It is possible that the unknown person in your dream is a manifestation of various people in your life. The presence of your close friend is a manifestation of the strength of that relationship. Take this time to determine what you want for your future. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life, as this will bring many benefits to you in the future. Have a great day, Joey!

jung

April 21, 2019 at 9:58 pm

last night i had a dream about a girl whom i dont know. at first, we were in love and we made love. After that we meet some people that also i dont know. At some some, her breast is showing and others are staring which made me uncomfortable. when i trying to cover it, i accidentally touched it. After she put on shirt, i standing in front of her, looking at her but she is looking at something else. what does it mean?

April 22, 2019 at 4:56 pm

Your dream is a reflection of various influences in your life. It is possible that she was an amalgamation of various people in your life. Make a decision about what you want for your future. If there is someone in your life that you want to maintain a relationship with, then speak with that person about your thoughts and feelings. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Jung!

Ben Clark

April 24, 2019 at 12:26 am

I had a dream that I met a women ., we had a connected like I have never felt before and got in straight away ..

April 25, 2019 at 11:33 am

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. It is possible that this person is from your distant past. She may appear in your future. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will help draw positive people and energy toward you. Have a great day, Ben!