What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone You Don’t Know?

By on September 4, 2017

When you dream about someone you know, you have a place to start interpreting the dream. They may have appeared because you like them or because they represent a certain kind of quality that you want to have in your waking life. When you do not know the person who appears in your dream, it can be extremely disconcerting. You see them in your dreams, but you can’t tell what they mean because you have never met them in real life. There are a few reasons why you may have an unknown person appear in your dreams though.

dreaming about someone

Your subconscious creates the dreams that you have each night. Currently, neurologists believe that the neurons in your mind fire at random. The images, memories and thoughts that are released are jumbled and completely random. The story in your dreams is put together by the rest of your mind when you wake up and the mind tries to make sense of your dreams.

This is one possible reason why random people appear in your dream. You may have seen them on television or in line behind you at Starbucks. You never consciously noticed them or thought about them, but their image was imprinted into your memory. Because of this, you dreamed about them and your mind just tried to make sense of the memories later on.

Filling a Void

If the neurologists are wrong, your dreams have a subconscious meaning of some sort. If they do, then perhaps your mind is trying to fill some subconscious need, desire or fear. If the person is positive in your dream, you may want to have someone happy and supportive in your real life. If they are chasing you, you may fear that an unknown force or person is working against you. If you dream about an unknown person being your lover, it may represent a desire to have a new romance or increased passion in your life.

It is very easy to believe that the person you see in your dreams is real. It is actually possible that they could be real because you may have seen them at random in your real life. At the same time, they are not someone with a deeper meaning. They give the meaning to the dream, but they themselves mean very little. If you dream of falling in love with an unknown person, it is highly unlikely that you will ever meet them in real life. Instead, they are just someone your subconscious chose to use to represent a feeling, situation, person or something else.

Aspects of Yourself

Sometimes, the people who show up in your dream just represent one of your personality traits or an aspect that you want in your life. For example, you may feel like the entire world is out to get you. Nothing seems to go right. Friends and family members you once trusted have betrayed you, and you are constantly criticized at work. In this scenario, you may dream that an unknown stranger arrives to help you and protect you. This is not because that stranger is actually going to appear in your life. Instead, it is just a sign that you want someone who will help or protect you. Your subconscious was unable to choose someone else to fill the role because you do not have someone like that in your present environment.

In other cases, the dream represents an aspect that you would like to have. Perhaps you are the type of person who works 9 to 5 at a respectable, stable job. You are a dutiful spouse and parent, and you are always on top of things at home. You may dream that a fun, playful person appears in your dreams. This may happen as a representation of the qualities you want in your waking life. You want to have spontaneous experiences and fun, so your subconscious mind lets you experience things in your dreams.

There are times when a stranger appears in your dreams to make you question your waking existence once again. It can be extremely hard to analyze your own thoughts and habits. Sometimes, the only way to gain perspective is when someone else does or thinks the same things. The person in your dream may be a mirror reflection of yourself. It may be a chance for you to wake up, realize the changes that you want and go for them.

Dreams can be extremely, extremely subjective. Because of this, it is important to look at your own dreams and analyze the feelings, people and experiences that occur. By analyzing your dream, you can figure out how it reflects on your own life and subconscious mind. With that knowledge, you can decide what it means when you dream about someone you don’t know.

Harris

April 14, 2019 at 7:00 am

I dreamed last night of different unknown peoples.it was two women’s.one woman with a I believe he may have been about 10 to 11 month old and just had gave birth to another baby.and the other lady was a friend of hers, and in my dream I became to Know them because we was all living in a shelter home I believe it was,and that’s where I met the unknown males of different colors,and he call us down to come eat breakfast I came down,ate and we all began to conversate it seems like I had known them for a while for me to feel comfortable around them.

April 14, 2019 at 4:24 pm

Your dream is a reflection of various social and emotional relationships in your life. It is possible that you are interested in developing new relationships at this time. It is clear that your interactions in your dream should influence you in a positive direction. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Harris!

Gwyneth

April 13, 2019 at 5:14 pm

Hi, can you please tell what my dream indicates? It is like this, I dreamt of my former house where I grew up then suddenly there was a Labrador which was black and it was a male, people couldn’t touch it because the dog was vicious but then it came up to me and acted like it was familiar with me. Then the scene change to a man whom had black hair and good features, he said to be my lover. I really fell in love with him and felt all of his touches.

Also we shared the same house, and it was a house that I also dreamt of. Then we went to places that I don’t know but already seen because I dreamt of it again.

Then i woke up with me and him saying we will find each other.

Please tell me what this means, thank you.

April 14, 2019 at 2:48 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. It is possible that this person is someone from your distant past. He may appear in your future. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will help draw positive people and energy toward you. Have a great day, Gwyneth!

Scarlet

April 12, 2019 at 8:18 pm

I dreamt about someone whom I don’t really know, I have two friends in my dream they are girls and each of us have a partner (which is a boy) and we have an adventure in a dark forest and later on when we reached the road, the boy and me walked through my house and I know in my dream that the boy and I have “something” like “we like each other” that kind of thing and when I woke up I’m super confused about that, I’m so confused who that boy is because when I woke up I have that different feeling it feels like I’m inlove with the person I don’t really know

April 13, 2019 at 8:56 pm

Your dream is a reflection of a wife variety of social and emotional influences in your life. It is possible that you are aware that your friends may be interested in developing new relationships. You are currently in love with someone, so focus your emotional energy on that person. Spend additional time with him in person, as this will nourish your relationship. Have a great day, Scarlet!

BlowTorch

April 11, 2019 at 10:56 pm

Hey I had a long dream tonight. I was with a friend of mine. I don’t clearly remember what happened at the first part but we both went up to the 10th floor with a lift and got inside an apartment. There was an old lady and a young one (probably in her 20s) I don’t clearly remember our conversation in that part. But sometime later in the same dream when we finished our work we went up to the same apartment and asked the old lady about the other one. She replied she is in her room. We went into her room and saw her naked. We ran out. Just as we were getting out she called us in and she was now wearing clothes. For some reasoy friend hugged her and she asked us some random questions. Now after I wake up I feel like I know the lady and I feel like she is trapped in the 10th floor. What should I do?

April 13, 2019 at 7:46 pm

This dream seems to be a manifestation of a wide variety of influences in your life. You said that you have a feeling that there may be someone who is trapped. This could be a representation of the knowledge of a emotional, social, or physical stress that someone is dealing with. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Blowtorch!

Naz Akara

April 11, 2019 at 10:37 pm

Hi, found this page and found ot very interesting. O am currently in a relationship woth a man for 3 years. I am a single mother to a beautiful 5 year old and have changed alot wince being a mother. When I was dreaming last night I was with my current partner but my son’s kickboxing teacher threw a ring at me and wanted to pursue me. I never entertained the idea but in my dream I would day dream and be happy about what he did all the time. I have woken up feeling amazing about the dream but also unfulfilled strangely.

April 13, 2019 at 7:36 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social relationship with your son’s kickboxing teacher. Allow this dream to fade, as you are currently in a relationship. Focus your emotional energy on your current partner. Strengthen your relationship by spending additional time with him in person. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Naz!

Lupa

April 11, 2019 at 3:42 pm

I have been dreaming about the same person (boy) for 5 years now and it is often repetitive. For the most part, these are dreams where we kiss passionately but nothing more, I always wake up before “the act”. Otherwise, the few other times are dreams where he warns me of a danger or tells me things like “We’ll see each other soon” before kissing my forehead. I even have a name that comes up. What does it all mean? I know this can all sound like a movie or series script and it looks completely crazy but I just find this weird but enjoyable, it makes me feel safe.

April 11, 2019 at 7:07 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. This person could have been in your distant past. He may be an amalgamation of various people in your life. It is possible that this person will appear in your future. It is clear that these dreams are positive and beneficial. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will help draw positive people toward you. Have a great day, Lupa!

Lynn

April 11, 2019 at 9:22 am

Hi ! I’ve wanted to know the meaning of my dreams. 2 weeks ago I had three dreams about a boy whom I never met. In the first dream I saw that I was texting a boy in a social media and we became close then I went to a party. after a while I got out to the balcony to text him because I was bored and someone was there who had the same descriptions . In the meantime the boy I was texting send me a message saying : wow the view in front of me is amazing I’ll send you a pic. In the picture it was the same view in front of me so I asked him if he is sitting next to me then the other one smiled at me and said yes. The second dream was shorter than the previous one I was in my class writing then I noticed that the boy in the table next to me is constantly looking at me when I turned my head I saw that same boy. In the third and last dream me and that boy were a couple and we were trying to figure out our future together and I discovered in this dream that his name is Adam and I never ever saw him in real life. Please reply to my comment because I really want to know what those dreams means.💙

April 11, 2019 at 6:41 pm

Your dreams are manifestations of your social and emotional desires. The person from your dream could be from your past. He could be an amalgamation of various people in your life. He may appear in your future. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will help to draw positive people and energy toward you. Have a great day, Lynn!

Nicole

April 11, 2019 at 12:51 am

I had a dream about a guy who goes to my high school and has had a recent conversation with me (texting).In this dream he was my boyfriend,Then cheated on me with a close family member.Note that I dont know him in person. Does this symbolize anything..?

April 11, 2019 at 6:09 pm

Your dream seems to be a reflection of various influences in your life. The presence of this person in your dream is a manifestation of your relationship with him. The actions in your dream seem to be manifestations of the shows that you watch. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life and abstaining from consuming violent and dramatic media. Have a great day, Nicole!

Levi

April 10, 2019 at 1:40 am

Hello, I’m a girl and im currently in a relationship with a girl as well. In my dream, me and girlfriend had forgotten that we were in a relationship with someone else, and we both know that we were supposed to be with those other folks. Now, the girlfriend which “i’m supposed to be with” was super hot, and I can clearly see and remember every detail of her face and body, and i really felt the connection that she was in fact my girlfriend. Later on in my dream My REAL gf and I confronted the 2 other gf about our relationship. So i chose my real gf over my hot “dream girl”.
    What does that mean???

April 10, 2019 at 10:58 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your relationship with your partner and your thoughts regarding other people. At the end of your dream, you and your current partner realized that you wanted to remain together. This is a manifestation of the strength of your relationship. Spend additional time with your partner in person, as this will nourish your relationship. Have a great day, Levi!

Jayjay

April 9, 2019 at 8:04 pm

What kind of disorder when you see a person in your dreams that you never met before?

April 10, 2019 at 9:23 pm

This is not a disorder. People in your dreams may be reflections of people in your life. They may also be amalgamations of various people. Ensure that these dreams guide you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will help draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Jayjay!

Lacy

April 9, 2019 at 6:41 am

My dreams are very random and jump to weird places all the time. And I’m a girl, idk if u needed to know that though. So, I begin: my brothers were playing a game with me when suddenly they disappeared and a young (like 10 yrs old) boy soccer team came up to me, then the coach started lecturing me about littering, suddenly all around me were trash, and I was constantly telling lies of how i didnt do it and I’m on an environment community etc. and he saw right past me. I go home where I find my sister had just got back from a car accident, that hit her car in both sides, where it wasnt her fault and it broke both of her legs. We hung out watching TV,anime for some reason (haha), and I wasnt embarrassed. Then suddenly I was in a game of tag in a house structure that wasnt finished. A guy I knew was ‘it’ and tricked me. Then he pushed me off of the building, meaning for me to hit the pool water, but instead I missed it by a few feet and hit the cement hard. I couldnt move but I knew my arms and legs were bent the wrong way. I felt like I was about to cry but couldnt. I was now in 3rd person, and everyone froze what they were doing then continued doing whatever. Then finally someone check my pulse and felt a small one and called the ambulance. (Still 3rd POV) I was inside the house, like a ghost and no one knew I was there. They asked what happened to me, then went on with their business laughing, talking and playing games. Then I woke up.

April 10, 2019 at 6:08 pm

Your dream is a reflection of a wide variety of influences in your life. Because of the numerous jumps, it is certain that you will find benefit in reducing influences in your life. You should take this time to enjoy seclusion and introspect. This will help you determine what you want for your future. Nourish your social and familial relationships by spending additional time with them in person. Have a great day, Lacy!

sandra

April 9, 2019 at 5:17 am

I had a dream a few months ago and in the dream there was this guy whom i don’t know but we first talked, even in the dream i was surprised to see him there, he asked me why i was so white and we talked, later in real life i remembered the dream when i saw him from afar, then had multiple dreams about him too. Here’s the thing, i have been having constant nightmares for like 8 years now and it’s rare for me to smile in my dreams yet i find myself laughing together with him in the dream, despite the fact that i don’t even know this guy nor am i familiar with his personality.. etc and now when i see him in real life i feel like i know him even though i know that he’s not the same person from my dreams but i feel like talking to him. what could the reason behind this be? opposing energies towards one another? grudge or something?

April 10, 2019 at 5:51 pm

The person in your dream is a reflection of various influences in your life. It is possible that this person is a manifestation of your distant past. He may be an amalgamation of people who are in your life at this time. He may appear in your future. The energy that you feel from him in your dream will help you better understand the purpose of his appearance. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Sandra!

sandra

April 11, 2019 at 7:46 am

Thank you 🙂 have a great day, too!

Jim Jamson

April 8, 2019 at 10:11 pm

I had a dream where I was at war fighting some enemy, I got hit a few times as I was fleeing. While I was fleeing I took down 7-8 of them as I was running with some kind of gun. Then some guy came charging at me and I pulled out a knife and stabbed him (an extremely brutal dream I know). I then escaped and found this hotel where I knew which room to go to for some reason. I opened the door and saw this woman who I have seen a few times in real life (friend of a friend). I walked up to her, we looked at each for what seemed like 30 seconds, then I told her I loved her and kissed her.(No idea why)

April 8, 2019 at 11:29 pm

Your dream is a reflection of various influences in your life. You will find benefit in abstaining from consuming violent and dramatic media. The woman in your dream could be a manifestation of your social and emotional desires. Allow the negative aspects of this dream to fade. Determine what you want for your future, and take appropriate action. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Jim!

BlueJay

April 8, 2019 at 7:48 pm

For weeks now I have seen this little girl who looks to be about five or maybe six, I have never seen this girl in my entire life but she just keeps reappearing in my dreams. She is blonde with what looks to be jet black eyes, some kind of dirt stained white shirt and blue jean overalls, with what once looked to once be pink and white sneakers, and keeps showing up in my living room and tells me I shouldn’t go or he would get me, but when I ask her who she dosent ever answer but instead just looks at me in response. I keep asking her name but she only muffels it and all I can make out is something that sounds like Melissa. If anyone has had any encounters with someone who looks like her or knows what this means please tell me.

April 8, 2019 at 11:28 pm

Your dream is a reflection of a wide variety of influences in your life. It seems as though this person in your dream is attempting to help you. It is also likely that you will find benefit in abstaining from consuming violent and dramatic media. If you have similar dreams in the future, then address her about her purpose within your dream. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, BlueJay!

Jennifer

April 8, 2019 at 6:17 pm

I had a dream where I was being chased by this little demon girl (ig) and I was at the mall except that it was empty and I tried calling for help but there was no one at all until I finally found a group of guys from my school and I tried asking them for help but they ignored me then idk what happened but I was suddenly in the restroom of a small hospital I called out her name and told her I wasn’t scared of her and proceed to curse at her then left the restroom but then she started moving stuff around with her mind (ig?) and harmed my loved ones and she almost killed me but I thankfully woke up and I’ve been having a hard time sleeping since then and I just feel very paranoid at night now.
    I hope you’re able to respond cause I need help understanding what this means and knowing the meaning behind my dream will hopefully let me be a lil but more at ease

April 8, 2019 at 11:21 pm

Your dream is a manifestation of various concerns and worries that you may have in your life. You will find great benefit in abstaining from consuming violent and dramatic media. The demon’s behaviors in your dream is a sign of your emotional connection with your loved ones. If you are chased in the future, then address whatever is chasing you. This will help prevent similar dreams from manifesting in the future. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will bring you many benefits. Have a great day, Jennifer!

Aila

April 8, 2019 at 10:07 am

I dream that I’m in a school of angel and demon(of course I’m an angel), as I was sleeping in that dream I hear someone entered my dorm room I open my eyes a little and he’s a demon across the other dorm he kissed me but I kinda pull a prank on him that someone or something was throwing rice at him seems he thought that I’m asleep it couldn’t be me so he soon realized that there’s a bowl of rice near my pillow so he toss it to the ground and he start violating me I try to rich the alarm near by me and he hold it both my hands so I couldn’t move I was hoplessly crying when suddenly someone hear my pry, another demon came in may dorm like magic then I thought great now I’m so doom (in a sarcastic way)then the second demon pull the first demon off of me then they fought each other then the second demon cast a spell to reveal the true identity of the first demon then I laugh subcontinently because hehehes an ugly weasel(if this is offensive in some countries sorry)then he leave then as the second demon sat down beside my bed I triggered the alarm and gone.when I woke up in the real world its kinda crazy when you think about it a demon fight another demon is the other one protecting me or for him self.

April 8, 2019 at 10:59 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your knowledge of the world. You are aware that there are good and bad people who do both good and bad things. There are those in the world who are moving from darkness toward light. Your dream is a manifestation of your positive energy. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will bring many benefits into the world. Have a great day, Aila!

Alix

April 9, 2019 at 7:50 pm

I had a dream that happened very recently… I was dreaming I was with a group of people I didn’t know, but there was one person that stood out. A boy that I immediately felt some sort of connection with! I can’t remember my dreams so well, but what I remember was the whole group was watching a movie in this bright, mansion-like place. He softly sat me down and I laid back in his chest as he held me… Another part of the dream was where we were laying down and he was spooning me. I had never felt so happy with someone in my life. This boy who I didn’t know the name of somewhat completed me. Everything he said, everything he did was so calming and I think I dreamed about him a while ago. He was very playful and funny, obviously he loved me, while I acted somewhat cold and ignored him, but had a feeling of strongly wanting to be with him. One part of the dream was where I was cuddling with him on his chest as he held me. This boy I dream of, I wish he were real. I want him to be real. I’ve never ever have felt that way! Ever! It was just so… Perfect. I remember in my first dream, the boy had brown hair and I think blue or green eyes. But in my recent dream he had blue eyes or purple ones with blonde hair. But there was some things that stayed the same. The shape of his eyes and his wonderful, WONDERFUL smile! A smile so sweet, you could fall in love with him in a single second. And his height and body type, skin stayed the same too. Tell me, what does this mean exactly?

April 10, 2019 at 9:26 pm

You felt a connection with this person in your dream. This could be a sign that you have a emotional or social relationship with him. He could be from your distant past. He may be an amalgamation of various people in your life. He may appear in your future. It is clear that his presence in your dream is an indication of a positive energy. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Alix!

Alix

April 10, 2019 at 10:32 pm

Thank you very much!!!

Nathan lopez

April 8, 2019 at 4:04 am

i just had this dream today, im at my highschool next to my friend and his gf, and this girl walks over, and i dont know her, but were dating and it goes on for three more seconds and it switches to where im back in middle school with my 8th grade baseball team and couple other friends and it ends.

April 8, 2019 at 10:49 pm

Your dream could be a reflection of various influences in your life. It is possible that you are interested in developing a new social relationship at this time. Make a decision about what you want for your future. Speak with the people in your life about your thoughts and feelings. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Nathan!

Candy

April 7, 2019 at 6:08 pm

I dreamed about this woman who was haunting a place that was converted into a home. She was stuck there and couldn’t move on. She was young and never married. The weird thing is, I knew her name. When I woke up, I researched her (I knew a few facts from the dream) and she had been real. She looked like she did in my dream and I had never seen her before the dream. Her name was Sarah Gilder. She never married and died accidently years ago. She was in her twenty’s with long brown hair and brown eyes, narrow face with large eyes. Please tell me why and how if you can? It was very very odd.

April 8, 2019 at 10:17 pm

Your dream is a reflection of various influences in your life. It is possible that you gained insight into the life and death of this person. The media that you consume may have appeared in this dream as well. If you believe in spirits such as this, then learn from this dream. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, Candy!

Micah

April 7, 2019 at 8:58 am

I have dream a guy that i never met in person. I dreamed of him twice we always met in an event in my dreams, he is always smiling and nice to me in my dream. In my latest dream he sent me a message via viber and introduce himself. Btw his name in my dream is aly

April 8, 2019 at 10:11 pm

This dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. It is possible that this person is from your distant past. He may be an amalgamation of various people in your life. He could appear in your future. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will help to draw positive people and energy toward you. Have a great day, Micah!

Christabel Yong

April 7, 2019 at 3:41 am

I dreamt from a third point of view, everyone was inside this one floored house, filled with art, from wooden carved art to paintings on the wall, everyone looked at those as inspiration. I didn’t know why until later in the dream. Soon it switched to girls changing clothes? And then there was a rumour that someone was peeking at them. Then idk why but it switched to this girl (I never seen her) using a red Silky long cloth to cover her whole body, it was draped over his head, covering her face but I was somehow inside the cloth with her, she was anxious, nervous and also somehow naked but not naked, I knew she was wearing no top but I couldn’t see it, she was frantic, and quickly wore this tube thing that girls wear around the chest. Soon, the cloth got pulled right after she finished wearing it fortunately, and idk why but the guy who pulled it felt like a prefect? The girl got angry, and I saw she was actually lining up? There were a long line of people behind her. She got angry and shouted, “YOU CANT PULL MY CLOTH OFF!” the prefect retorted back that he can. So she stormed off, her outfit looked like those Bollywood dancing sparkly outfits. I wasn’t in my own dream I was just there, watching. Idk what this means. Also after she stormed off, suddenly the reason why she got angry flew into my mind, it was because she was the VIP in the whole event, she needed to take a picture with a very unique pose and the rest of the people has to create a unique pose that they think she would do (without looking at her) nobody knew she was there, and her identity must remain a secret thus she got angry when her cloth got pulled off. It was a competition.

April 8, 2019 at 10:08 pm

Your dream seems to be a reflection of various influences in your life. You are aware of the behaviors and actions of others. It seems as though you knowledge of media and drama appeared in this dream. This dream will help you manage the social events that you attend in the future. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, Christabel!