What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone You Don’t Know?

By on September 4, 2017

When you dream about someone you know, you have a place to start interpreting the dream. They may have appeared because you like them or because they represent a certain kind of quality that you want to have in your waking life. When you do not know the person who appears in your dream, it can be extremely disconcerting. You see them in your dreams, but you can’t tell what they mean because you have never met them in real life. There are a few reasons why you may have an unknown person appear in your dreams though.

dreaming about someone

Your subconscious creates the dreams that you have each night. Currently, neurologists believe that the neurons in your mind fire at random. The images, memories and thoughts that are released are jumbled and completely random. The story in your dreams is put together by the rest of your mind when you wake up and the mind tries to make sense of your dreams.

This is one possible reason why random people appear in your dream. You may have seen them on television or in line behind you at Starbucks. You never consciously noticed them or thought about them, but their image was imprinted into your memory. Because of this, you dreamed about them and your mind just tried to make sense of the memories later on.

Filling a Void

If the neurologists are wrong, your dreams have a subconscious meaning of some sort. If they do, then perhaps your mind is trying to fill some subconscious need, desire or fear. If the person is positive in your dream, you may want to have someone happy and supportive in your real life. If they are chasing you, you may fear that an unknown force or person is working against you. If you dream about an unknown person being your lover, it may represent a desire to have a new romance or increased passion in your life.

It is very easy to believe that the person you see in your dreams is real. It is actually possible that they could be real because you may have seen them at random in your real life. At the same time, they are not someone with a deeper meaning. They give the meaning to the dream, but they themselves mean very little. If you dream of falling in love with an unknown person, it is highly unlikely that you will ever meet them in real life. Instead, they are just someone your subconscious chose to use to represent a feeling, situation, person or something else.

Aspects of Yourself

Sometimes, the people who show up in your dream just represent one of your personality traits or an aspect that you want in your life. For example, you may feel like the entire world is out to get you. Nothing seems to go right. Friends and family members you once trusted have betrayed you, and you are constantly criticized at work. In this scenario, you may dream that an unknown stranger arrives to help you and protect you. This is not because that stranger is actually going to appear in your life. Instead, it is just a sign that you want someone who will help or protect you. Your subconscious was unable to choose someone else to fill the role because you do not have someone like that in your present environment.

In other cases, the dream represents an aspect that you would like to have. Perhaps you are the type of person who works 9 to 5 at a respectable, stable job. You are a dutiful spouse and parent, and you are always on top of things at home. You may dream that a fun, playful person appears in your dreams. This may happen as a representation of the qualities you want in your waking life. You want to have spontaneous experiences and fun, so your subconscious mind lets you experience things in your dreams.

There are times when a stranger appears in your dreams to make you question your waking existence once again. It can be extremely hard to analyze your own thoughts and habits. Sometimes, the only way to gain perspective is when someone else does or thinks the same things. The person in your dream may be a mirror reflection of yourself. It may be a chance for you to wake up, realize the changes that you want and go for them.

Dreams can be extremely, extremely subjective. Because of this, it is important to look at your own dreams and analyze the feelings, people and experiences that occur. By analyzing your dream, you can figure out how it reflects on your own life and subconscious mind. With that knowledge, you can decide what it means when you dream about someone you don’t know.

Angel

April 6, 2019 at 1:55 pm

It started in a public bathroom, it was rlly big. I was in a zombie apocalypse with 3 other people but i’ve never seen them before. But also i looked in the mirror and i was a different person. I did not look like how i look in real life. My mind noticed but my emotion didn’t do anything. We were all friends. and we fought some zombies in the bathroom and that ended then the dream changed and i changed too. I was a totally different person again. this time i was on like an island. it was so pretty and it felt so nice to be there. i was a kissing another person (a guy) but he didn’t react to it like he didn’t have feelings. and he went on with a girl not sure if it was his gf or sister. and i felt sad. then i was crossing a bridge. and that’s all i remember.

April 6, 2019 at 6:51 pm

Your dream is a reflection of various influences in your life. You will find great benefit in abstaining from consuming violent and dramatic media. The island and person that you were kissing may be a sign of an emotional relationship that you have in your life. His behavior with the other woman would be a sign that you are aware that other people have other relations. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Angel!

David

April 11, 2019 at 8:38 pm

I have been dreaming of this girl for 4 months she’s just there looking at what am doing in the dream we never talk

April 13, 2019 at 7:18 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. You may be interested in developing a relationship with someone in your life. It is possible that this person is an amalgamation of other people in your life. Ensure that you dreams guide you to share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy toward you. Have a great day, David!

Serialdreamer

April 6, 2019 at 2:10 am

I had a dream that a stranger man who runs into me at a grocery store takes me to be the love of his life and keeps romantically chasing me. He’s vocal, loud and even shows up at my door while I keep shutting him down because I’m engaged to be married to my fiancé (in my dream and real life). The stranger even shows up face to face in social interactions with my fiancé but after he finds out I’m engaged he becomes hurt and quiet and lingers in my life. He’s somehow become friends with my family so we all go to a party one night. Then the plot twist comes when in the dream I realize he’s also engaged and that angers me because I cannot understand why he’d be chasing after me if he already has someone in his life. In the end I think I feel confused, angry, distrustful because I had developed empathy for rejecting his love but after knowing he has someone in his life I feel a bit cheated. What’s all this mean because neither my fiancé or myself cheat in this dream

April 6, 2019 at 5:09 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional influences and concerns. It is possible that you are interested in nourishing a new relationship. If you are currently engaged, then ensure that you nourish this relationship by spending additional time with him in person. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Serial!

Lashawn

April 5, 2019 at 4:44 pm

What if you dream about your boyfriends family member that you’ve never met

Lashawn

April 5, 2019 at 4:46 pm

And it was like we were at a family gathering

April 6, 2019 at 4:51 pm

This dream could be a reflection of your relationship with your partner, and your knowledge of his family members. Allow this dream to guide you to nourish your relationship with your boyfriend by spending additional time with him in person. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life, as this will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, Lashawn!

April 6, 2019 at 4:50 pm

jeyjey

April 4, 2019 at 7:20 pm

The first dream I have is my classmate and I are hugging each other. His a guy and I’m a girl. I feel it I think it is real. But I wake up. March 2018 I start to dream someone that I don’t know. We are in the tree.and he wrapped his arms on my shoulders. We are watching a movie on my cellphone. His tshirt color gray and mine also. After a year I dreamed again March 8 2019 I dream about someone who I don’t know. I see his face but when I woke up. I forgot. The scenario is we are in the same room. And holding our hands. We are playing truth or dare then I woke up. Can you know about this?

April 5, 2019 at 12:23 am

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. It is likely that you feel a connection with your classmate. Make a decision about what you want for your future. Speak with him about your thoughts and feelings. Ensure that you give him an opportunity to share himself with you as well. Nourish this relationship by spending additional time with him in person. Have a great day, Jeyjey!

Jessica Taylor

April 3, 2019 at 8:08 am

I had a dream that I was at a huge building with alot of people and another group of people from another state came to visit this really handsome man that was with that other group of people had tan black haired tried talking to me. His age looked to be abt 19, and I’m 16 so ofcorse I went for him. Me and him started walking around the building together and I was very coucious becuase, I didn’t want my parents to find me with him; they would have known he was older. For I while we walked around and then we walked out to the back of the building, he was in front of me as the were fastly walking and the turned around and looked me in the eye, his eyes were a dark blue and very beautiful. He got closer to and I got closer as well but then my mom started calling me and looking for me so I told him I had to run. He did not answer and he did not follow he just stayed where he was. As walked off I thot not much of it but we would see each other later. All I could think about was getting to my mom asap. But as I walking back I walked into a white room out of no where and then I woke up.

April 4, 2019 at 10:56 pm

Your dream may be a reflection of your social and emotional desires. This person could be a reflection of your thoughts regarding future relationships. The appearance of your mother in your dream is a sign that you want her approval of your future partners. It is possible that this person will appear in your future. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Jessica!

Nahnah

April 3, 2019 at 6:53 am

I Had A Dream That My Sister Family Led To One Of My Friends Being My Family And We Stayed In These Apartments By A Bridge And There Was A Lake With A Lot Of Birds In The Back And One Them Into Me And I Caught It And Then I Kept Running Then When I Got In The House Pee Was Leaking From The Celling And The Girl Went To Take Ah Shower In A Pink Towel And She Came Back And It Was Like It Was Real Life

April 4, 2019 at 4:02 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional relationships. The birds could be representations of your desire for freedom. The shower and urine could be a sign of your thoughts regarding normal aspects of your life. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Nahnah!

Dimpy

April 2, 2019 at 3:55 am

I dreamt about 3 people. I was not part of this dream. It was like watching a reality show only it felt like I was these people. The first person is a Caucasian male overweight balding with a mustache. Person 2 was a Caucasian male really artsy—-leather pants black hair spiked. Person 3 a Caucasian female she had a purple dress on. Bangs and clean cut dark brown hair. She had purple heels to match her dress

They were part of this competition…something like a scavenger hunt. But In some persons house. The fat guy goes in first and looks in a closet similar to my parents closet. A dog comes barking from behind. Like one of those toy dogs. The guys heartbeat is running fast. It felt like MY heartbeat was running fast. There are he first finds this cardboard tube and throws it at the dog. The dog grabs it and runs off. He finds item 1. The dog comes back tipping away so he throws a cardboard again and the dog runs off with that too. He finds item 2 runs out of the closet.

He saw item 3 but realizes he threw it with the cardboard . Then the second guy goes to look for item 3. But now I’m watching the woman. She’s sitting in a talk show. It felt like I’m that woman. A cat is on her lap and scratches her on the hand. The cat is not dangerous just cute…The audience laughs and The woman is laughing a nervous laugh. The cat owner takes the cat kisses the cat and puts it away. She gets asked about the hunt and she says she feels confident. In the meanwhile the artsy guy is still looking for item 3.

Then I woke up. It was sooooo strange. But felt soooo real

I’m a south Asian female. I’m not Caucasian. Nor do I look like any of these people. I don’t even watch reality tv. It was so weird

April 2, 2019 at 11:40 pm

Your dream may be a reflection of various influences in your life. You do not watch reality television, so the behaviors of the people in your dream could be reflections of your knowledge of various television shows. The race of the people in your dream could also be reflections of the media that you consume. Their actions in the dream seem to be a sign that you are searching for something, and you were reflected in the woman with the cat. Look inward at this time, as this will help you better understand you future. Allow this dream to guide you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Dimpy!

Mara

March 31, 2019 at 1:23 am

I had a dream about this boy who I don’t know. But i remember in my dream, his name was Eli. It was Valentine’s Day in my dream. So I was in a classroom and the classroom is filled with people I knew except for Eli. So the class was chattering about Eli has a crush, they all knew except for me. Until I woke up, then I went back to sleep, then the dream was on play. The two weeks after Valentine’s Day, Eli got flowers. And Eli was nervously looking at me and at the point we were talking notes. Until his friends told me to come over and Eli confesses and gave me the flowers. I woke up feeling heart warm but I don’t know the meaning of this…

Mara

March 31, 2019 at 1:25 am

Also I forgot to mention, everyone in the dream that I know are in real life but not Eli

March 31, 2019 at 11:40 pm

The people in your dream who are real are manifestations of those relationships. It is possible that these people will help guide your actions in the future. Nourish your friendships by spending additional time with them in person. Have a great day, Mara!

March 31, 2019 at 11:39 pm

Your dream may be a manifestation of your social and emotional desires. The person in your dream could be a sign that you want to develop a new relationship. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will help draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Mara!

Beth

March 31, 2019 at 12:27 am

I had a dream that I was having a face-to-face conversation with a friend about a fieldtrip she was planning for her daughter’s class to the U.S. I live abroad, but the dream took place in my sister’s childhood bedroom in the states. All of a sudden a car pulled up on the grass outside the bedroom window and we heard someone approach the house. I made a move to shut off the light but instead came face-to-face with a stranger on the other side of the window. We locked eyes and I was paralyzed for a few seconds. Then I awoke.

March 31, 2019 at 11:36 pm

Your dream is a reflection of various influences in your life. You may be interested in nourishing a relationship with someone in your life. The house could be a sign that there may be someone in your life that may be interacting with your family or those who are close to you. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Beth!

Leah marie

March 30, 2019 at 9:40 pm

I had a dream of guy, an unknown guy.but his face is so clear in my dream. We met in his own restaurant ,where he ask my name and had a qiuck chat. After that,We are madly inlove with each other.but my father was againts us. My father started to ignore me ( in my dream only).I was crying at the he made me feel like I don’t exist. He buy some stuffs but not for me its all for my sister which was suppose to be mine at times we we’re good. One time when, I and the man who became my boyfriend, we were in the car his driving and i am on the back sit. Suddenly he stops the car and told me that we should brake up for a reason that he didn’t want me to continue a relationship where my family were againts me because of him. I am silent and my tears are starts to fall. I rushed to get out in the car without leaving him any words. After that I go to a very far place where nobody knows me and after so many years have past when I got my own pastry shop . A man with a camera suddenly approaches me and tgen I realized he was my boyfriend . I looked into his eyes and cried. Then after i woke up with real tears in my eyes.

March 31, 2019 at 4:35 pm

Your dream seems to be a reflection of various influences in your life. It is possible that this person is someone from your past. You said that your boyfriend appeared in your dream, so ensure that this dream guides you to nourish your relationship with your partner by spending additional time with him in person. This will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, Leah!

Jess

March 30, 2019 at 6:47 am

I had a very lucid dream about a Prince who could teleport. Somehow I was connected to his family and he or his family members would teleport (they would teleport me with them) to different places because someone or a group of people were chasing after them. After what seemed like a few weeks/months I’m not sure, he told me that he loved me and I felt the same. After that, somehow the group who were chasing them caught up with them and it was a big battle and I was afraid I would never see him again because I didn’t know the outcome of the end. Then I woke up…. WEIRD!!!

March 31, 2019 at 3:58 pm

Your dream could be a reflection of various influences in your life. Your social and emotional desires may have appeared in your dream. It is certain possible that you are interested in traveling the world. Being chased is a sign of a concern or worry that you may have in your life. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times. This will help to draw positive people and energy toward you. Have a great day, Jess!

Riz

March 30, 2019 at 6:34 am

Hi I’m Riz… I dreamt of a Guy and He’s a Prince in Ancient Era/Times…We both fell in love…But HE died… When ever I remember his Hug, I felt very warm inside… After 1 month… I dreamt of him again, HE’s now a bussiness man and he said ” We will Meet again ” after I woke up I cried… Please Tell me what It MEANS?!?!

March 31, 2019 at 3:49 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. It is possible that this person is from your distant past. He may appear in your future. Ensure that you dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will help to draw positive people and energy toward you. Have a great day, Riz!

Jeny

March 30, 2019 at 3:34 am

I had a lots of dreams about sex. I am having sex with some stranger I can’t even remember his face. I am getting these dreams regularly. The thing is I’m virgin in reality and not going to lose virginity, but I did enjoy those dreams a lot, I had fun and those dreams were like amazing, it was like I’m having my best life, I don’t know why I’m getting these dreams on regularly basis. I see a stranger whom I have never seen in my life but make love with him is so great. Why I am dreaming these?

March 31, 2019 at 3:43 pm

Your dreams are reflections of your physical desires. You are interested in maintaining a physical relationship, but you are aware that you are not interested in having intercourse in your waking life. Continue to find pleasure in your dreams, as this will positive energy into your life. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will bring you many benefits. Have a great day, Jeny!

Louis

March 30, 2019 at 3:02 am

I made friends with an old lady, who was a comedian and we became best friends because of our shared interests in museums and antique shops. In the same dream we were attacked in an alley way. What does this mean??

March 31, 2019 at 3:37 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your relationship with someone in your life. It is possible that there is someone that you feel a strong connection with. Being attacked in your dream could have been a sign that you have concerned or worries in your life. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, Louis!

Gifty

March 28, 2019 at 10:37 pm

I dreamt of a guy I hvnt met before in my life coming to see me in my house, when he came at first we didn’t even know each Oda in the dream he said he was looking for someone when I asked him who it was, he smiled at me saying he has already find the person he’s looking for, then later he came with his friends and wanted to talk to me privately then he told me he’s in love with me d first time he saw me then I agreed……it was strange tho please what does this mean

March 29, 2019 at 12:02 am

Your dream could be a reflection of your social and emotional desires. You might be interested in developing a new relationship. There may be someone in your life that you are interested in spending time with. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Gifty!

Jaz

March 28, 2019 at 11:44 am

This is kind of long, but I often have this recurring dream (about once every month or two) where I’ve known this guy for a while and he has a girlfriend, but it’s like he tries to protect me or whatever. I never get his name or see his face, but he DOES feel familiar in a way. If I explained the whole dream to you it’d be weird, lol. But during this latest dream in particular, I had a weird moment of lucidness, where I said, “I dream about you a lot.” And I remember thinking, ‘This is a dream too .’ I’m pretty sure I even told him he wasn’t real, but then the lucidity stopped, and the dream went on as it always has. This is the only time I’ve been able to change something in the dream. Could there be a reason for it?

March 28, 2019 at 11:47 pm

It is certain that your dream is a manifestation of your social and emotional desires. You are aware that this person is currently in a relationship, so this dream could be a reflection of a social relationship that you have with someone else in your life. It is possible that this person may come into your life in the future. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Jaz!

MJ

March 28, 2019 at 8:02 am

There ‘s one night i was sleeping and i dream so unexpectedly and i dream of someone unexpectedly i barely don’t know him i just know his name and his face but im not really a fan or what and the next thing i next thing i knew i was searching about him

March 28, 2019 at 11:45 pm

Your dream may be a reflection of your social and emotional desires. It is possible that this person is from your distant past. He may manifestation in your future. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will help to draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, MJ!

Moon Beam

March 27, 2019 at 3:42 pm

I had a dream where my current boyfriend and I broke up but stayed friends. In the dream I met a guy at my college (I dont know anyone that looks like him). His name was Travis and we became very close in the dream. As I was waking up he said “dont go I’ll miss you” and all of a sudden I drifted off to sleep again. As I was walking up it happened again. I finally woke up the next time. This guy travis has appeared in my past two dreams since the first one and in the dream it seems we’re dating. The dreams are totally different than the first one but he seems to just keep appearing. In the dream I felt a feeling of love twords him. It was odd. Any thoughts?

March 28, 2019 at 12:45 am

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional relationships. You current are with someone, so allow thoughts of this other person to fade. Determine what you want for your future. If you are no longer happy with your current partner because of the quality of your relationship, then speak with him about your thoughts and feelings. If you become single and want to maintain a relationship with someone else, then reach out to that person at that time. Have a great day, Moon Beam!

priscilla

March 27, 2019 at 11:24 am

i had a dream where this guy (that i haven’t spoken to in FOREVER and I completely forgot about him) was my boyfriend and I lost my virginity to him in the dream… help?

March 28, 2019 at 12:31 am

Your dream is a reflection of various influences in your life. It is possible that you were attracted to this person. You may be thinking about having intercourse. Allow this dream to guide you to make a decision about your future. If there is someone in your life that you want to maintain a relationship with, then speak with that person about your thoughts and feelings. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Priscilla!

Jadyn

March 27, 2019 at 7:36 am

I had a dream that it was thanksgiving and my mom, and my brother and I went to someones house. we don’t know them in real life, but in my dream we did. We went inside and I started eating. A friend of mine in real life said his brother wanted me. the next thing I knew I was laying in bed cuddling with this guy in my biology who I don’t even really know that well, and is definitely not my friends brother

March 28, 2019 at 12:19 am

Your dream seems to be a reflection of various relationships in your life. It is clear that your relationship with your family members is important to you. This person in your biology class may have appeared in your dream because of something that happened in your life. If you feel that this dream is attempting to influence to nourish this relationship, then do so. Regardless of your decision, ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Jadyn!