What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone You Don’t Know?

By on September 4, 2017

When you dream about someone you know, you have a place to start interpreting the dream. They may have appeared because you like them or because they represent a certain kind of quality that you want to have in your waking life. When you do not know the person who appears in your dream, it can be extremely disconcerting. You see them in your dreams, but you can’t tell what they mean because you have never met them in real life. There are a few reasons why you may have an unknown person appear in your dreams though.

dreaming about someone

Your subconscious creates the dreams that you have each night. Currently, neurologists believe that the neurons in your mind fire at random. The images, memories and thoughts that are released are jumbled and completely random. The story in your dreams is put together by the rest of your mind when you wake up and the mind tries to make sense of your dreams.

This is one possible reason why random people appear in your dream. You may have seen them on television or in line behind you at Starbucks. You never consciously noticed them or thought about them, but their image was imprinted into your memory. Because of this, you dreamed about them and your mind just tried to make sense of the memories later on.

Filling a Void

If the neurologists are wrong, your dreams have a subconscious meaning of some sort. If they do, then perhaps your mind is trying to fill some subconscious need, desire or fear. If the person is positive in your dream, you may want to have someone happy and supportive in your real life. If they are chasing you, you may fear that an unknown force or person is working against you. If you dream about an unknown person being your lover, it may represent a desire to have a new romance or increased passion in your life.

It is very easy to believe that the person you see in your dreams is real. It is actually possible that they could be real because you may have seen them at random in your real life. At the same time, they are not someone with a deeper meaning. They give the meaning to the dream, but they themselves mean very little. If you dream of falling in love with an unknown person, it is highly unlikely that you will ever meet them in real life. Instead, they are just someone your subconscious chose to use to represent a feeling, situation, person or something else.

Aspects of Yourself

Sometimes, the people who show up in your dream just represent one of your personality traits or an aspect that you want in your life. For example, you may feel like the entire world is out to get you. Nothing seems to go right. Friends and family members you once trusted have betrayed you, and you are constantly criticized at work. In this scenario, you may dream that an unknown stranger arrives to help you and protect you. This is not because that stranger is actually going to appear in your life. Instead, it is just a sign that you want someone who will help or protect you. Your subconscious was unable to choose someone else to fill the role because you do not have someone like that in your present environment.

In other cases, the dream represents an aspect that you would like to have. Perhaps you are the type of person who works 9 to 5 at a respectable, stable job. You are a dutiful spouse and parent, and you are always on top of things at home. You may dream that a fun, playful person appears in your dreams. This may happen as a representation of the qualities you want in your waking life. You want to have spontaneous experiences and fun, so your subconscious mind lets you experience things in your dreams.

There are times when a stranger appears in your dreams to make you question your waking existence once again. It can be extremely hard to analyze your own thoughts and habits. Sometimes, the only way to gain perspective is when someone else does or thinks the same things. The person in your dream may be a mirror reflection of yourself. It may be a chance for you to wake up, realize the changes that you want and go for them.

Dreams can be extremely, extremely subjective. Because of this, it is important to look at your own dreams and analyze the feelings, people and experiences that occur. By analyzing your dream, you can figure out how it reflects on your own life and subconscious mind. With that knowledge, you can decide what it means when you dream about someone you don’t know.

Aaliyah

March 27, 2019 at 7:18 am

In my dream there was this guy (opposite race of me) listening to my favorite artist and I was listening to this artist and singing before I walked past him. I was saying to myself “omggg” because I get excited when I see others listening to this person. Btw, this dream took place where I used to live. He was standing outside of my old house. I also saw the number 222 before going to bed. (That’s how many views were under this twin flame video)

March 28, 2019 at 12:02 am

Your dream is a reflection of the influences in your life. Do not be concerned about race, as should not change the way that you view this dream. The number in your dream could have been a sign that drew you to this article. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, Aaliyah!

Shatri

March 27, 2019 at 6:51 am

In my dream, I met a person specifically a guy, I remember his name, his name is Zero, I asked his help and he did help me. Then I asked him why his name is Zero, he told me that he is named after his sibling, I didn’t hear the name though but I felt that he is sad so I hug him. What does that mean??

March 27, 2019 at 11:53 pm

Your dream could be a reflection of various aspects of your life. It is possible that this person is an amalgamation of various people in your life. The media that you consume may have appeared in this dream as well. Allow your dream to guide you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, Shatri!

Frances Anne Tacorda

March 27, 2019 at 12:18 am

Hi. Im really curios about my dream with unknown person , in my dream i know we love each other but i don’t know him ,when we are happy in my dream seconds will pass and my dream will glitch into a sad scene with him like he is crying because im leaving .
    What does it mean?

March 27, 2019 at 11:25 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires and influences. The person in your dream could have been a manifestation of various people in your life. He could be someone from your distant past. It is possible that he will appear in your life in the future. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times. This will bring positive people and energy toward you. Have a great day, Frances!

blue

March 24, 2019 at 7:58 pm

I am married and have 1 child. I dream of having a lover/fiancee whom i do not know.as per my dream that lover loves me and he is willing to give everything what i like. He is loving and caring in my dream. my husband in real life is my ex in my dream. what is the meaning if that?

March 26, 2019 at 1:57 am

Your dream is a reflection of various influences in your life. It is possible that the media you consume has influenced this dream. You will find benefit in abstaining from dramatic media. Nourish your relationship with your partner by spending additional time with him in person. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Blue!

Mona

March 24, 2019 at 5:40 am

I had a dream where I saw my partner’s ex though I have never met her or know much about her btw I would like to meet her .she came across as a good person in my dreams ..what does this imply ..do I need to get more attentive for my partner

March 26, 2019 at 1:15 am

Your dream is a reflection of your knowledge of your partner’s ex. It it possible that your partner has spoken about her. You may have been reminded of her for some reason. Allow thoughts of your partner’s ex to fade. Ensure that this dream guides you to spend additional time with your partner in person, as this will nourish your relationship. Have a great day, Mona!

Shaun

March 27, 2019 at 9:41 pm

I had a dream I met a girl I never met through common friends back home and we instantly liked each other. She wanted to meet my mother. Next thing you know she disappeared with no contact. My mother and me go searching for her. I meet her later and she changed in terms of looks, she had tattoos all over. One specific a ripped flag on her chest. I can’t get over this girl and wonder if she’s just a figment of my imagination. The dream was so real yet I do not know if it was lucid.

March 28, 2019 at 12:53 am

This person from your dream may be an amalgamation of various people in your life and qualities that you may find attractive in a partner. It is possible that she is a reflection of someone from your past. She may appear in your future. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will help to draw positive people and energy toward you. Have a great day, Shaun!

RC

March 24, 2019 at 4:00 am

I had a dream of being with stranger girl she didn’t talked to me but we were so nice to each other and were going somewhere with holding eachothers hands i had a feeling in dreaming that I love this girl.

March 26, 2019 at 1:07 am

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. It is possible that this person if from your past. She may appear in your future. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will help draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, RC!

Lilian

March 23, 2019 at 11:07 am

I had a really, really, bizarre dream. I was (as a person) rainbow coloured while everyone else was not. And I fell in love with someone else who was rainbow coloured but it was forbidden for us to do so. For some really weird reason, we had met in a bathtub and I was trying to secretly tell him where to meet me so we could be together (we were being watched). I then left, and my dream switched to me a few hours later walking through a playground surrounded by colourful houses, and I was seemingly going to meet this guy. I kept checking behind me and all around, when a little kid atop this playplace started to make fun of me for being rainbow coloured. I was upset and started shaking the bottom of the monkey bars (he sat on top of them) and he fell down. Instantly I rushed to go help and apologize to this little kid, but then I woke up.
    I still, after being awake for awhile and searching for interpretation, feel upset I never got to meet with this guy and somehow “miss” him??
    Please help, what does any of this mean?

March 26, 2019 at 12:07 am

Your dream may be a reflection of your knowledge that there are people who have problems with other people having relationships that they don’t understand or appreciate. It is possible that this person is a manifestation of someone in your life that you are interested in developing a relationship with. This person may be from your distant past or may manifest in your future. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Lilian!

Jacqueline Harrison

March 23, 2019 at 1:21 am

I dreamt I was inside a cafe it had an outside space I noticed a guy across the other side of the room he eventually asked if he could help me I didn’t answer I next saw myself approaching him he gave me his number and told me to call as he can’t text I then turned when some one else gave me his number

March 23, 2019 at 1:52 am

Your dream is a manifestation of your social and emotional desires. It is possible that you want to develop a new relationship. The interaction that you and the other two people had in your dream could be a sign of how you manage your social relationships. If there is someone in your life that you want to develop a relationship with, then speak with that person about your thoughts and feelings. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Jacqueline!

Molly

March 22, 2019 at 8:48 am

I dreamt that I bumped into a daughter and her father outside of a shop near where i live. i didn’t know either of these people. I wanted to help her and gave her my coat, as i spoke to this young girl she aged rapidly and a girl i thought was around 8/9 turned into a 17 year old in front of me telling me her goals and aspirations in life. I was giving her advice and was trying to help her get out of her situation. This was then followed by the girl, her father and I, going to a house with more strangers I didn’t know, who told us that werewolves were after us. I suggested we hid in the basement of the house to be safe. I had an overwhelming feeling of care for these strangers. The dream was so vivid and i cannot stop thinking about it!!!

please may you shed some light on this?

March 23, 2019 at 1:18 am

Your dream is a reflection of a wide variety of influences in your life. Your behaviors in your dream are clear indications of your desire to bring positive energy into the world. The werewolves may be a manifestation of your knowledge of concerns or worries that people may have in their life. Ensure that this dream guides you to continue to share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, Molly!

Joanne C P

March 21, 2019 at 5:46 pm

I had a dream that i was on a double date. a stranger who told me she was my friend asked me to go on the date with her. So me and my date (a stranger) were having alots of fun together and the other two were just tailing behind us. Then we sat at a resturant and had a fun food fight.

What does that mean??
    Could you tell me please?

March 22, 2019 at 1:06 am

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires and influences. It is possible that you are interested in nourishing a new relationship. The food fight could be a sign that you want to have fun with the people who are in your life. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Joanne!

Anonymous

March 21, 2019 at 9:13 am

I had a dream that my neighbors daughter died and showed up a few days after in a sewer. Please help because this dream was very concerning.

March 22, 2019 at 12:53 am

Your dream is not a reflection of the future or of fate. You will find great benefit in abstaining from consuming violent and dramatic media. You may want to focus your energy on sharing your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will help reduce the frequency of similar dreams from manifesting in the future. Have a great day, Anon!

debbie

March 21, 2019 at 4:54 am

i had a dream that a certain girl in my class who i don’t talk to became my best friends and we were goofing around and her little brother was in front of us (mind you she doesn’t have a little brother)and it was super weird seeing us together because she is kind of popular at school and am just there.( i don’t know why it really bothers me, i need an interpretation pls )

March 22, 2019 at 12:43 am

Your dream may be a manifestation of your social and emotional desires. She could simply be a reflection of various qualities that you find attractive. Determine what you want for your future. If you want to speak with her about your thoughts and feelings, then do so. You may nourish this relationship by spending additional time with her in person. Have a great day, Debbie!

Kerentimkang

March 21, 2019 at 3:15 am

I need some help. I’ve been dreaming of a guy for about 5 years. It started when I was just 12 yrs old and now I’m 17. I know him by appearance but I don’t know if he really exists.

March 22, 2019 at 12:35 am

This dream is an manifestation of your social and emotional influences and desires. This person in your dream could be a manifestation of someone from your distant past. It is also possible that he is an amalgamation of various qualities that you find attractive in a partner. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Kerentimkang!

Ria

March 27, 2019 at 6:16 pm

Hi! I’m Ria.I dreamt that I am going in toilet this morning.It seemed so real.But just after I sat on the toilet seat, I realized it was a dream. And I dreamt the same thing repeatedly three times in a row. Finally when I woke up, I couldn’t tell if it was reality or dream. I felt confused for some time. And I was scared. It never happened before.
      After that I slept again and saw that I went into an amusement park at night and it was raining and suddenly I found some unknown children in the ticket room and I went in a classroom with them. We were taking lessons from a teacher. And all other kids are younger than me.I was very friendly with them as if they are my new classmates and I’m befriending them. I’m 26 years old and unemployed. What does this strange dream means?
      * I apologise for my bad English.*

March 28, 2019 at 12:47 am

The repetitive dreams regarding the toilet could be a reflection of numerous aspects of your life. It is certainly possible that you simply needed to use the restroom. It is possible that there is something in your life that you want to remove. The school aspect of your dream could be a sign that you are thinking about your education. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Ria!

Ruth

March 20, 2019 at 10:54 pm

hello, I dreamt of boys playing football , the ball came on my side I kicked unfortunately, it went to a pool which had no water. As I was trying to get it out of the pool water filled the pool from nowhere and the boy who kicked the ball toward me sinked in the water. There was a man who was helping me to get the ball and the boy out of the pool but didn’t manage . A certain man who was tall came and help me and saved the boy but the boy when drowned out, he came as as a very small boy and having other two kids who were dead. I was happy to save the boy . The man who drew the boy, hugged me too tight that I felt loved like never before . What is the meaning of the dream?

March 20, 2019 at 11:15 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your concerned regarding the behaviors of others. Your dream is a sign that you want to share your positive energy with everyone in your life. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Ruth!

Cheska

March 20, 2019 at 6:12 pm

I had a dream ahout that my lover was a crown prince and whenever i think about the crown prince I always tearing up.
    I also had a dream that I’am at the hospital and the crown prince was also there. i ask my friend about this kind of dream she said that there’s is a possibility that it was my past life. Is it possible that i will meet this person in real life or does he have the same dream?

March 20, 2019 at 10:37 pm

It is possible that this person is from your distant past. It is also possible that your lover may manifest in the future. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will help to bring positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Cheska!

Anonymous

March 20, 2019 at 3:05 pm

I had a dream of being married to a random guy who is a don kind of personality but I m happy with him. Maybe it’s because I had been in a relationship with a person of that kind in my waking life but we r no more together. In my dream it was like he would be a don but for others for him my comfort is the best and I even saw that we went to my college on my wedding day after being married to meet my friends. I was wearing the wedding dress. My makeup was all wet due to hotness In weather. He was like what I want he would do anything for that.

March 20, 2019 at 10:35 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. It is possible that this dream is a sign that you want to nourish a romantic relationship with someone that makes you feel secure and safe. Allow this dream to guide you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will bring you many benefits in the future. If there is someone that you want to maintain a relationship with, then speak with that person about your thoughts and feelings. Have a great day, Anon!

Nick

March 20, 2019 at 12:49 pm

I had a dream about a girl, who i loved and recently moved to my area. We fell in love and lived alone in a house even though we’re 13. I never met or seen somebody like this before. I love her and cant stop thinking about how much I miss her,I want to meet her, what does my dream mean

March 20, 2019 at 10:33 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. It is possible that this person could be a manifestation of someone from your recent past. It is possible that she will appear in your life in the future. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will bring positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Nick!

Mack

March 19, 2019 at 9:26 pm

I had a dream about a zombie apocalypse and I was in this random high school and I had 4 friends who I didn’t even know but acted like I’ve known them for years. But I just remembered specificity I was talk to one of these random person who was a guy but I forgot his name but he had a disabled dog named butch but he was always that person worried and paranoid about everything and I just thought it was really strange but even though we were in a zombie apocalypses I wasn’t being chased or Attack but I did sense a unsettling nervousness. Like I was talking to him but I felt like I had to be on high alert for something.

March 19, 2019 at 11:10 pm

Your dream is a reflection of various influences in your life. It is certain that this dream is a reflection of the media that you consume. The uncertainty in your dream could be related to your thoughts regarding the apocalypse. If you are interested in reducing these dreams from appearing in the future, then abstain from consuming violent and dramatic media. Share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Mack!

dana sabla

March 19, 2019 at 10:20 am

i had a dream that this random guy was my boyfriend and he had a sister , and my sister would take videos of us and send it to me and my mom and my ex bestfriend was my friend. what does this mean?

March 19, 2019 at 10:15 pm

Your dream is a reflection of a wide variety of social influences in your life. The videos could be a sign that you are aware that your actions influence your future. Ensure that this dream influences you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life, as this will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, Dana!

Coleen

March 19, 2019 at 3:46 am

Hi I’m really curious about the dream I had on March 15, 2019 and I dreamed about a boy who gave me a letter that the last sentence was “If you wish to see me again meet me at (he wrote something about this restaurant that I’m not sure about) on March 19 and today is March 19
    Can you please reply and tell me what this means cuz I’m really confuse

March 19, 2019 at 10:06 pm

Your dream may be a reflection of your thoughts and feelings. It is possible that this dream was a reflection of a future plan that came to you in your dream. If you have a similar dream in the future, then decide what you want for your future at that time. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Coleen!

Coleen

March 20, 2019 at 5:21 am

Is it possible to meet this person in real life or does he have the same dream?

March 20, 2019 at 9:48 pm

It is possible that you will meet someone from your dream in real life. It is important that you always share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will help top draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Coleen!