What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone You Don’t Know?

By on September 4, 2017

When you dream about someone you know, you have a place to start interpreting the dream. They may have appeared because you like them or because they represent a certain kind of quality that you want to have in your waking life. When you do not know the person who appears in your dream, it can be extremely disconcerting. You see them in your dreams, but you can’t tell what they mean because you have never met them in real life. There are a few reasons why you may have an unknown person appear in your dreams though.

dreaming about someone

Your subconscious creates the dreams that you have each night. Currently, neurologists believe that the neurons in your mind fire at random. The images, memories and thoughts that are released are jumbled and completely random. The story in your dreams is put together by the rest of your mind when you wake up and the mind tries to make sense of your dreams.

This is one possible reason why random people appear in your dream. You may have seen them on television or in line behind you at Starbucks. You never consciously noticed them or thought about them, but their image was imprinted into your memory. Because of this, you dreamed about them and your mind just tried to make sense of the memories later on.

Filling a Void

If the neurologists are wrong, your dreams have a subconscious meaning of some sort. If they do, then perhaps your mind is trying to fill some subconscious need, desire or fear. If the person is positive in your dream, you may want to have someone happy and supportive in your real life. If they are chasing you, you may fear that an unknown force or person is working against you. If you dream about an unknown person being your lover, it may represent a desire to have a new romance or increased passion in your life.

It is very easy to believe that the person you see in your dreams is real. It is actually possible that they could be real because you may have seen them at random in your real life. At the same time, they are not someone with a deeper meaning. They give the meaning to the dream, but they themselves mean very little. If you dream of falling in love with an unknown person, it is highly unlikely that you will ever meet them in real life. Instead, they are just someone your subconscious chose to use to represent a feeling, situation, person or something else.

Aspects of Yourself

Sometimes, the people who show up in your dream just represent one of your personality traits or an aspect that you want in your life. For example, you may feel like the entire world is out to get you. Nothing seems to go right. Friends and family members you once trusted have betrayed you, and you are constantly criticized at work. In this scenario, you may dream that an unknown stranger arrives to help you and protect you. This is not because that stranger is actually going to appear in your life. Instead, it is just a sign that you want someone who will help or protect you. Your subconscious was unable to choose someone else to fill the role because you do not have someone like that in your present environment.

In other cases, the dream represents an aspect that you would like to have. Perhaps you are the type of person who works 9 to 5 at a respectable, stable job. You are a dutiful spouse and parent, and you are always on top of things at home. You may dream that a fun, playful person appears in your dreams. This may happen as a representation of the qualities you want in your waking life. You want to have spontaneous experiences and fun, so your subconscious mind lets you experience things in your dreams.

There are times when a stranger appears in your dreams to make you question your waking existence once again. It can be extremely hard to analyze your own thoughts and habits. Sometimes, the only way to gain perspective is when someone else does or thinks the same things. The person in your dream may be a mirror reflection of yourself. It may be a chance for you to wake up, realize the changes that you want and go for them.

Dreams can be extremely, extremely subjective. Because of this, it is important to look at your own dreams and analyze the feelings, people and experiences that occur. By analyzing your dream, you can figure out how it reflects on your own life and subconscious mind. With that knowledge, you can decide what it means when you dream about someone you don’t know.

Alicia MASSEY

March 6, 2019 at 8:26 pm

I had a dream about my brother having a son no one knew about. That looked just like him and older than his other children.

March 7, 2019 at 1:06 pm

Your dream is a reflection of various influences in your life. It is possible that you are thinking about children. You may be aware of your brother’s behaviors. Your dream may be influenced by the media you consume or your knowledge of other people’s children. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Alicia!

Jen

March 6, 2019 at 5:03 pm

I had a dream of being extremely connected and in love with a guy who i dont know but I felt as though i do know. While he did seem human, he looked quite a bit different from humans as we are here in real life. I was so fixated on this guy. When he looked at me it was almost kinda like he was looking inside my soul… strangely enough the setting seemed to be my grangmas land outside in a camper or something at night in winter (probably cause it’s winter for real).. my dreams are almost always pretty vivid and detailed.. sometimes my mind tends to stick on stuff from them and this time it is this guy..

March 6, 2019 at 8:36 pm

Your dream could have been a reflection of your distant past. This person could have been a reflection of someone who was once influential in your life. It is clear that you felt a strong connection with this person. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This may help to draw positive people and energy toward you. Have a great day, Jen!

Kris

March 9, 2019 at 3:20 pm

Last night I dreamed about meeting a young woman who was living in a city in a run-down apartment building, selling incense for a dollar per stick to make ends meet. I felt a strong connection to her and she felt the same. When I went inside to talk more, her anatomy wasn’t quite right but other than strange folds and creases in her abdomen perfectly human. We were attracted to each other but I had other obligations and had to go (for some reason I was in a wheelchair though all that was wrong was a broken foot or leg crutches would have served just fine). I actually woke up crying and missing her and am still depressed that I don’t know her at the close of this day. Her name was Amy.

March 10, 2019 at 5:10 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your previous social and emotional connection with the idea of this person. It is possible that she was a manifestation of other people in your life or qualities that you appreciate. Allow this dream to influence you in a positive direction. Share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Kris!

june

March 5, 2019 at 1:55 pm

I had this dream about a guy, in real life we don’t actually know each other. he was staring at me the whole time and I was blushing. he was sitting and I was standing in front of him. he starts putting his arm around my waist and talked to me. I was annoyed about the topic so I ended up waking up.

March 5, 2019 at 7:51 pm

Your dream seems to be a reflection of your social and emotional desires. This person could be a manifestation of someone in your life. He could be a reflection of aspects that you find attractive in a partner. Allow this dream to guide you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, June!

J.Lee

March 5, 2019 at 2:18 am

I have a dream with someone that i don’t really know, it’s really an unfamiliar person to me and we met on the elevator accidentally. I really really want to know who is that person in my life and what is the purpose of him appearing in my dream. Actually the guy that i see is totally my ideal guy so i expect a lot that maybe someday he is my meant to be, something like that hahaha! Anyway i just want to know if there’s a deeper meaning on my dream about the guy?

March 5, 2019 at 7:45 pm

Your dream may be a reflection of your social and emotional desires. This person is a manifestation of aspects of a person that you find attractive. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, J!

Zack

March 4, 2019 at 11:44 pm

I had a dream of me going somewhere with an unknown girl. I kissed her and she hesitated like now is not the time. I don’t know, it was like we were finding something or someone. I have a number of dreams of me I kissing her. I don’t know who is she. What is it?

March 5, 2019 at 7:24 pm

Your dreams are reflections of your social and emotional desires. It is certainly possible that this person is an amalgamation of various people in your life. The kissing could be a sign that you want to maintain a strong social and emotional relationship with everyone in your life. This will help to draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Zack!

Yheng

March 8, 2019 at 3:27 pm

We have the same dream!

March 9, 2019 at 6:54 pm

Thank you for sharing your supportive comment. Please share more of your thoughts and feelings in the future. Have a great day, Yheng!

Shebb

March 4, 2019 at 1:30 pm

Hi, I’ve had multiple dreams that include one person, and he is someone I do not know nor have ever met. At first I would remember seeing him in the background of my dreams until he got closer and closer with each new dream. I’ve recently started dating someone in waking life and last night I dreamt that my “dream mate” was upset with me for being with another girl. This person feels so real in my dreams and is constantly showing me tenderness and kindness and yet also grief and mortality. A part of me wonders if this really is just a motif for a feeling in waking life, but more often than not I feel this is a real person I am connected to. I know his distinct facial features and the way he talks, but not his name. And even if I don’t think of him, he appears in my dreams. What do I do?

March 5, 2019 at 6:23 pm

This dream is likely an indication of your social and emotional desires. The person that appeared in your dream that you don’t know could be a placeholder for someone else that you may be interested in maintaining a relationship with. Your dream will influence you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, Shebb!

Kurdapya

March 3, 2019 at 7:42 am

I have a dream that my schoolmate who is graduating is talking to me happily. We are not close but we know each others name. What is the meaning of this dream?

March 4, 2019 at 8:31 am

It may just reflect a desire to relax and get to know that person better. Since the person is graduating, perhaps your subconscious mind wishes that you could know them better before they leave your school. Whatever the case, it sounds like a positive dream, so I would not worry about it too much. Thanks for commenting and good luck, Kurdapya!

Dylan Schuenemann

March 3, 2019 at 7:09 am

I dreamt I was staying in a house hanging out and partying with like 6 other friends, but I’ve never met any of the friends in my dream in real life. I believe my subconscious is telling me I don’t have friends haha

March 4, 2019 at 8:29 am

It may also be telling you to branch out, meet new people and have some fun! Good luck, Dylan!

Lil

March 2, 2019 at 10:53 pm

I dreamt about a guy in my class, who has the same major as me. We don’t talk because he sits in the back. So in this dream, he sat next to me (in one of our classes in real life) and we started talking. I was like we have two classes together. I don’t remember if it was that same moment, but he started to lean in to kiss me or to tell me something. Mind you I don’t talk to this guy, but I do have him for two classes. What does this dream mean?

March 4, 2019 at 8:17 am

The dream could indicate that you feel a sense of attraction toward this guy, but it might also just be a sign that you want some kind of romance or intimate relationship in your life. I would not read too much into it at all because he may have been picked at random by your subconscious to play the role of your love interest.

Acd

March 2, 2019 at 10:51 pm

I had a dream where I was with some random girl I don’t know. I felt happy and loved at the time and she didn’t seem to mind what I did. I would he myself back Everytime I lent in for a kiss, and ended up leaning my head against her in a “thank you for being there for me” way.

March 4, 2019 at 8:16 am

Most likely, this girl is a placeholder for someone you would like to meet. The mind often creates placeholders when you don’t have someone to actually play that love interest in your current life. I would not read too much into the dream because your subconscious will most likely start using someone else to play that role once you have found that special someone.

Kevin

March 2, 2019 at 9:56 pm

Last night I had the most vivid dream I had in years and it’s haunted me all day. I’d met a girl who was very much not my’type’ but who settled into being incredibly comfortable company. We agreed to go out on a date. It turned out that she knew a girl who represnted something of a missed opportunity in my life who was thrilled to see us together. Even though it was once again obvious that she wasn’t my usual type, there was an immediate warmth and comfort. This was reinforced when we bumped into another ‘missed opportunity’ who likewise approved of us together.

This has driven me nuts today. I have no idea who this girl is or what she represents, but the dream has rattled me.

March 4, 2019 at 8:14 am

The focus of the dream might be the missed opportunities and not the new girl. It seems like your subconscious mind is trying to tell you that you can move past those missed opportunities and find someone different for a relationship. Everyone has the “what-ifs” of the past in their mind, but it is rarely a good idea to explore these missed opportunities because they can prevent us from fully living our present life. The new girl in your dream may also be a nudge by your subconscious mind to see what it is like to date someone different than you normally would and see if a different type of partner works out better. Good luck, Kevin!

moe

March 2, 2019 at 8:16 am

I had a dream where I met a girl in some random place I remember holding myself back form kissing her but I kept leaning in. I ended up leaning my head against her shoulder and then waking up. My curiosity is at a 100 right now.

March 4, 2019 at 8:07 am

The girl in the dream is probably just a placeholder for the kind of girl you would like to meet and be with. You may not have someone to fill this role in your waking life, so your subconscious mind created a dream girl to play the part instead. All the dream shows that you would like a romance or a physical relationship of some type and have not met the perfect person quite yet.

Brooks

March 2, 2019 at 5:02 am

I had a dream that I was adopted by my best friends parents. In my dream I had been adopted because my best friend passed away. In real life, she lived all the way across the world but hadn’t passed away.
    At some point in the dream it switched to a scenario where I was at a school. I was sitting at a crowded table with my friend & another boy I didn’t recognize.
    My friend & that boy started speaking Spanish to eachother, at the time I didn’t know a word they were saying. I later got a flashback of my old friend. We were hugging an she was telling me how great of friends were gonna be. It came back to the table and the boy had left. My friend stood there staring at me & calling my name. I responded and woke to nobody calling my name.

March 4, 2019 at 8:01 am

The belief that your friend has passed away in the dream is most likely a reflection of the way her life has transformed and how she is far from you now. You may wish to be close to her, which is why you dreamed that her parents adopted you. The next part of the dream seems to show how much you miss her and wish that she was around still.

Alex

March 2, 2019 at 2:00 am

I dream about someone beside me while i’m sleeping, I woke up to a girl hugging me realy tight nd it looks like we have a relationship. We talked about my problems that day and she told me to just take a rest. I don’t know her but she can remind me of my current girl while her voice reminded me about my current crush and that dream looks so very real that I can already feel the weight of her head on my shoulder and how tight she hugged me.

March 2, 2019 at 9:00 pm

Your dream could have been a reflection of your current relationship. She seemed to be similar to your current partner. This is an indication of the strength of your relationship. Allow this dream to influence you to nourish your current relationship by spending additional time with your partner in person. Have a great day, Alex!

Guuuuurl

March 2, 2019 at 1:42 am

Today I had a dream about someone who was in love with me long time ago. But the dream began by him kissing me, we were holding hands and walking, the thing was that I didn’t regret when he kissed me and you see when he was in love with me I didn’t want him, I didn’t even like him so I was kind of rude and blocked him when he really was tying to love me.
    Could you please explain the meaning of the dream…

March 2, 2019 at 8:48 pm

Your dream could be a reflection of various social and emotional influences in your life. It is possible that you are interested in maintaining a relationship with someone, but you have reservations about developing a new relationship. You should determine what you want for your future at this time. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life, as this will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, Gurl!

Andrea

March 1, 2019 at 8:37 am

I had a dream about the guy I talk to, we’ve never met because he lives in a different state, but in my dream I dreamed that we were in a car and than he got off but at that moment there was a guy who was also in the car like if he was his bestfriend and he turn around and told me that he had told him to not fall for me because of the whole living in different states situation but than he came back and kissed me and that’s when I woke up.

March 2, 2019 at 8:26 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your relationship. The two of you share a social connection, but a romantic relationship may not be viable at this time. Your dream could be a sign of that knowledge. Continue to share your kindness and compassion with your friend. If the two of you are able to spend time together in person, then speak with him about your thoughts and feelings. Have a great day, Andrea!

SLAYER

February 28, 2019 at 12:27 pm

I have this dream where I met a girl who likes me or want to be in a relationship with me. I didn’t really encounter this person. Blured face and no name. At first I entertain her. But I hesitate cause she’s not my type. I always do something to end our communication, but she’s like chasing me. There is a scenario where We go to buy new shoes, but I forgot my wallet in my house, when I cameback to get it, I don’t want to go anymore with her so that I stayed in my house. After that she came, want to connect to our WIFI but when I enter the passowrd it won’t work, it can’t connect and theres something wrong it’s imposible to forgot our password, and then I woke up that time

February 28, 2019 at 11:49 pm

Your dream may be a reflection of your social and emotional desires. It is possible that you are interested in nourishing a romantic relationship, but you are uncertain about who you are interested in at this time. It is possible that this person may come into your life in the future. The wifi password experience in your dream could be a sign that you are uncertain about your communication over social media or your connection to the world. Have a great day, Slayer!

Vegard

February 28, 2019 at 12:06 am

I had this dream where i waved at a girl and she waved back right in front of a pool on vacation, i have never met this girl and a couple of months later we went on a vacation, that exact moment happened again. So i was wondering what heopened ger because it was the same girl on the same place

February 28, 2019 at 10:24 pm

Your dream could be a reflection of your knowledge of the future. The event happened, so it is possible that you had insight into what would occur. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will bring you many benefits into the future. Have a great day, Vegard!

Lee

February 27, 2019 at 11:20 pm

I had a dream about this girl I went to high school with, for some reason we were talking and it seemed like we were going to be in a relationship (even though I’m dating someone else in real life) but then all of these bad things kept happening such as someone she knows does so she became a little distant and then these spirits kept coming to me for the rest of the dream. Any way you could interpret that for me?

February 28, 2019 at 10:16 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your previous social and emotional relationship with this person. You currently in a relationship, so you will find great benefit in focusing on this relationship. If this other person reaches out to you in the future, then share your kindness and compassion with her. Nourish your currently relationship by spending additional time with your partner in person. Have a great day, Lee!

Geet

February 27, 2019 at 6:43 pm

Last night I have had a dream in which two unknown girls were frnd of mine .one is calm nd other one is aggressive .we all went to attend a marriage .agrressive girl is wearing white dress .we take lot of fruits nd relish it but at the corner of hall .then I came to know aggressive girl killed a lot of person many person..i was thinking she did many murders but why police has not put in prison..meanwhile my aunt is looking at me ..but she didn’t utter a word..but she seemed little much depressed .I don’t what happen to aggressive girl she saidI want to go to a family nd want to marry a guy of her own choice .but they didn’t agreed..after she died by commuting suicide..then I came back to my aunt .she said don’t be in her campany ..she is not a good person..I told her she died ..nd she didn’t reply ..then I woke up

February 28, 2019 at 10:12 pm

Your dream is a reflection of various influences in your life. It is certainly possible that these women in your dreams are manifestations of the people in your life. The murders and death could be reflections of your knowledge of recent shootings and other violent events. Allow the negative aspects of this dream to fade. Share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life, as this will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, Geet!