What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone You Don’t Know?

By on September 4, 2017

When you dream about someone you know, you have a place to start interpreting the dream. They may have appeared because you like them or because they represent a certain kind of quality that you want to have in your waking life. When you do not know the person who appears in your dream, it can be extremely disconcerting. You see them in your dreams, but you can’t tell what they mean because you have never met them in real life. There are a few reasons why you may have an unknown person appear in your dreams though.

dreaming about someone

Your subconscious creates the dreams that you have each night. Currently, neurologists believe that the neurons in your mind fire at random. The images, memories and thoughts that are released are jumbled and completely random. The story in your dreams is put together by the rest of your mind when you wake up and the mind tries to make sense of your dreams.

This is one possible reason why random people appear in your dream. You may have seen them on television or in line behind you at Starbucks. You never consciously noticed them or thought about them, but their image was imprinted into your memory. Because of this, you dreamed about them and your mind just tried to make sense of the memories later on.

Filling a Void

If the neurologists are wrong, your dreams have a subconscious meaning of some sort. If they do, then perhaps your mind is trying to fill some subconscious need, desire or fear. If the person is positive in your dream, you may want to have someone happy and supportive in your real life. If they are chasing you, you may fear that an unknown force or person is working against you. If you dream about an unknown person being your lover, it may represent a desire to have a new romance or increased passion in your life.

It is very easy to believe that the person you see in your dreams is real. It is actually possible that they could be real because you may have seen them at random in your real life. At the same time, they are not someone with a deeper meaning. They give the meaning to the dream, but they themselves mean very little. If you dream of falling in love with an unknown person, it is highly unlikely that you will ever meet them in real life. Instead, they are just someone your subconscious chose to use to represent a feeling, situation, person or something else.

Aspects of Yourself

Sometimes, the people who show up in your dream just represent one of your personality traits or an aspect that you want in your life. For example, you may feel like the entire world is out to get you. Nothing seems to go right. Friends and family members you once trusted have betrayed you, and you are constantly criticized at work. In this scenario, you may dream that an unknown stranger arrives to help you and protect you. This is not because that stranger is actually going to appear in your life. Instead, it is just a sign that you want someone who will help or protect you. Your subconscious was unable to choose someone else to fill the role because you do not have someone like that in your present environment.

In other cases, the dream represents an aspect that you would like to have. Perhaps you are the type of person who works 9 to 5 at a respectable, stable job. You are a dutiful spouse and parent, and you are always on top of things at home. You may dream that a fun, playful person appears in your dreams. This may happen as a representation of the qualities you want in your waking life. You want to have spontaneous experiences and fun, so your subconscious mind lets you experience things in your dreams.

There are times when a stranger appears in your dreams to make you question your waking existence once again. It can be extremely hard to analyze your own thoughts and habits. Sometimes, the only way to gain perspective is when someone else does or thinks the same things. The person in your dream may be a mirror reflection of yourself. It may be a chance for you to wake up, realize the changes that you want and go for them.

Dreams can be extremely, extremely subjective. Because of this, it is important to look at your own dreams and analyze the feelings, people and experiences that occur. By analyzing your dream, you can figure out how it reflects on your own life and subconscious mind. With that knowledge, you can decide what it means when you dream about someone you don’t know.

sayali

February 18, 2019 at 1:51 am

I have had this dream about unknown guy …we were sitting in the garden and we were talking which i could not remember now topic; But it felt really comfortable with him. Please tell me what does it mean??

February 18, 2019 at 9:53 pm

This dream may be a reflection of your social and emotional desires. You may want to maintain a relationship with someone that you share a strong social connection with. Determine what you want for your future, and decide what you feel is appropriate. If there is someone in your life that you want to maintain a relationship with, then speak with that person about your thoughts and feelings. Have a great day, Sayali!

sayali

February 18, 2019 at 12:52 am

I have had this dream about guy we were sitting in the garden ….and we were seeing in the sky and talking about something which i could not remember now.
    What does this really mean??

February 18, 2019 at 9:53 pm

Asylum

February 17, 2019 at 10:37 pm

Over a year ago before my boyfriend move to a country he’s going to work had a dream about a foreign woman with tanned skin closes to his age on a vacation in a tropical island chilling at the beach he never met this girl before and never put so much thought about it. Later December last year he told me during the first week we’ve been dating one night he remember that girl on a vacation with him exactly looks like me and he believes that he was having a Dejavu or something.It sounds crazy when I heard the story.
    _____________

Btw I also had a dream year 2017 October about a foreign guy with a tattoo who I never met before I was on a vacation with him in my home country we’re at the small boat he’s staring at me and not talking.This put so much attention to me and made me feel curious fast forward to July 2018 I started dating this guy for only 2 months it was shocking that there’s a certain possibilities I an experience that.August 2018 I visited my family in my home country and when I returned I was no longer interested dating this guy later I’ve met a guy who I’m in a relationship with and I’m so happy. Kinda weird he also got the same dream as mine. Any thoughts?

February 18, 2019 at 8:14 pm

The two of you share a strong relationship. He has informed you of a dream, which is an indication of the connection that he feels for you. Your dream could be a manifestation of your thoughts and feelings. Determine what you want for your future. Speak with the people in your life about your thoughts and feelings. Give them an opportunity to share themselves with you as well. Have a great day, Asylum!

Lynda

February 17, 2019 at 5:37 pm

I had a dream where I was picking ripped mangoes under a mango tree with some people too. But I picked more than them at the same time trying to pick for the little boy who later claimed to pluck the mangoes for us. I didn’t understand the dream so I prayed and slept and HD another dream where the oldest man in town a married doctor in my work place that I hardly communicate with and some people I barely know visited me. They gave me pineapple which I was cutting but stopped to give them attention and to continue when they leave. The visitors dashed me money not very plenty but almost all they had. The old man was very supportive and caring.Then my aunt came to scold me to finish cutting the pineapple and give her some but I refused saying I want to attend to the old man first. He was very pleased with me and asked my aunty not to touch the pineapple again

February 18, 2019 at 7:59 pm

The mangoes could have been a reflection of something that you find both desirable and valuable. The pineapple and money would have been a reflection of similar feelings as well. The old man may have been a sign that you are interested in maintaining a new relationship. Enshre that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, Lynda!

louise

February 16, 2019 at 3:08 am

i had a dream a few months back about someone i didn’t know, i had obviously known him before in the dream and we had obviously been close. so last night i had a dream that i went to the same place that i saw this boy and we talked and we slowly grew closer to each other and he got upset about me talking about actual real life stuff that’s happened to me and i’m really confused as to what this means

February 18, 2019 at 7:10 pm

Your dream is an indication of your social and emotional desires and influences. Your interactions in your waking life may be a sign of your knowledge of relationship dynamics in your life. If there is someone that you are interested in developing a relationship with, then speak with that person about your thoughts and feelings. If not, then simply share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Louise!

Careme

February 14, 2019 at 9:41 pm

I was really young, about 6 when I had this dream. I dreamt about messaging a person on my phone (at that time I didn’t know that it was a phone, since touch screen phones were non existent for me). I was smiling and laughing, as I texted that person and responded to the messages. The person’s display picture was a picture of the Oxygen molecule. The dream then continued to show me as a grown up version of my younger self, laughing and smiling as this guy held and tickled me as we played in bed. Now, I didn’t remember this dream until in October, last year, I was playing this mobile game and I was messaging the person in game. I was smiling and laughing with what he was saying to me and then a message he sent, hit me with the memory of that dream. Sadly I don’t remember the message now, but that message brought back the memories of the dream and the display picture he used was the same. I saw the guy’s picture of him, but I am not sure about the face. However his skin tone and body frame was the same, even the hair on his head. This guy I am speaking to, we talk as if we had known each other for a years. We get along with each other so easily. I am blown away by our thoughts, because we sometimes literally think and say the samethings at the sametime when we are talking to each other. We have very much similar likes and dislikes with a lot of things. We even have a lot in common with little minor actions we do, like picking up the meat with the left hand and using a fork in the right hand to eat or sleeping on the back with the head leaning to the left as you hug the pillow to your chest. I feel as if I have met the Male Version of myself. I am really amazed by our interactions each day, even though we are 8000 miles away from each other, as I am in the Caribbean and he is in Asia.
    I am wondering if it is possible I have met my husband, which is really funny.

February 14, 2019 at 11:25 pm

It sounds as though your dreams and interactions are indications of a strong connection with this person. You each seem to care for each other. Determine what you want for the future of this relationship. You may nourish this relationship by attempting to meet him in person. Speak with him about your thoughts and feelings, and give him an opportunity to share himself with you as well. Have a great day, Careme!

Andrea

February 14, 2019 at 8:51 am

I had a dream that i was engaged to a guy but i have never seen this guy before he kissed the back of my neck and embraced me lovingly we seemed to be extremely happy so weird i dont dream often and happy dreams are even more rare???

February 14, 2019 at 11:02 pm

This dream is a reflection of your desires and influences. You are interested in developing a strong social and emotional relationship. The person in your dream may be a manifestation of various people in your life. Share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy toward you. Have a great day, Andrea!

Abby

February 13, 2019 at 2:24 pm

A few days ago I started having a dream of a guy I had a crush on in 5th grade (named Juan) and a boy I made up in my head (I had named him Eric), and at first I brushed it off because I knew “Eric” wasn’t real and the dream wasn’t too interesting. But then the next night I have a dream with another boy that’s in my class who I never even thought about until that dream (his name is Cruz and I can’t stop thinking about him bc of that dream), then the next night I had a different dream with, once again, a similar boy to the others, and I named him Willow. The next two nights it happens again, but while they had similar features to the others, the first was a tan boy and the latest one was a boy with shorter hair than the others, and I don’t remember their names. In the same night I saw my ex- crush, who also has similar features. They were all in completely different scenarios, but the thing they had in common was that they were tall boys with black hair, and maybe half had messy hair and one had tan skin and another had short hair. They also played the role as my significant other and if they didn’t, then we would always flirt as if we’ve been dating forever (and with “Willow” we talked as if we were joking around about protecting a baby that I supposedly had (but I didnt have one)). I know this is confusing but I’m still trying to make sense of it all, care to help??

February 14, 2019 at 8:01 pm

Your dreams are reflections of your social and emotional desires. The people in your dreams are reflections of real people and amalgamations of various people that you admire. You should ensure that this dream influences you to determine what you want for your future. If there is someone that you want to maintain a relationship with, then speak with that person about your thoughts and feelings. Have a great day, Abby!

Jennya

February 13, 2019 at 10:35 am

I’ve had this dream about this one particular boy I’ve seen him many times in real and on social media as he knows a lot of people and he’s around them so I see him often in their snaps but Its weird because my dreams are about me and him hugging and just being romantic. Why?

February 14, 2019 at 7:56 pm

This dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. This may be someone that you admire. There may be attributes about him that you find attractive. Allow this dream to influence you to make a decision about what you want for your future. If you want to develop a relationship with him, then nourish this relationship by spending additional time with him in person. Have a great day, Jennya!

Lisa

February 13, 2019 at 10:16 am

I had a dream about this guy I met at a camp. On the last day I didn’t want to let him go I was crying he promised that he’ll come back to me. What does it mean?

February 14, 2019 at 7:30 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. It is possible that you are interested in maintaining a romantic relationship with this person. His promise in your dream is a sign of your strong desire to nourish this relationship. If you are still in contact with him, then speak with him about your thoughts and feelings. Strengthen your relationship by spending additional time with him in person. Have a great day, Lisa!

Renaldo

February 13, 2019 at 1:55 am

I have dreamt about meeting someone I have never met before and falling in love with them for 2 nights in a row now, each night it was someone different.

Night 1.(2 nights ago)
    I meet a white girl somewhere and we start talking, soon after we fall in love, we talk about everything, laugh at everything then I take her to the park where we have a picnic then I kiss her. I wake up confused and sad, the dream felt so real and i couldn’t stop thinking about it the whole day

Night 2.(last night)
    Im in a room I have never seen before but somehow I know the house, im in the bed when a light-skinned black girl I have never met before walks into the room, we suddenly feel a connection and we instantly fall in love, but this dream was way more sexual, we are making out, touching eachother and hiding from her parents. Then I wake up confused, sad and wondering why I keep dreaming about love.

February 14, 2019 at 7:03 pm

Your first dream may be a reflection of your social and emotional desires. There may be someone in your life that you are interested in developing a relationship with. The second dream could be a sign of your physical desires and aspects of a relationship that you desire. If you are single, then determine what you want for your future. Both people in your dreams are manifestations of aspects of things about people that you may find desirable. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Renaldo!

Amanda

February 11, 2019 at 7:24 pm

I had a dream where I was at my own wedding but I knew nobody in attendance, not even the groom. I did not recognize a single person out of the dozens of people I interacted with but they all knew me. What does this mean?

February 12, 2019 at 7:50 pm

Your dream may be a reflection of influences in your life. You may be interested in maintaining a life long romantic relationship. You are aware that social and emotional influences will change throughout your life. If there is someone that you want to develop a relationship with, then speak with that person about your thoughts and feelings. If you are currently in a relationship, then nourish this relationship by spending additional time with that person. Have a great day, Amanda!

Kae

February 10, 2019 at 10:22 pm

Since I was 13 yrs old Ive start dreaming about this guy. I never now him in real life. I saw his face many times before but when I woke up I forgot everything about him. All I remember is that his taller than me and he has muscles. He often visits me in my dream specially when I dont have a boyfriend. He always knew whats happening to me. He acts so sweet and caring .. But now Im reallymscared seeing him in my dreams. Im already 22 but he’s still in my dreams. Maybe once a week or twice a week… I dont know what this dreams really means.. I hope you could help

February 11, 2019 at 6:13 pm

The person in your dreams may be a reflection of your social and emotional desires. He may have been someone from your distant past. It is possible that his qualities are attributes that you find attractive. Allow this dream to influence you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will help to draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Kae!

Shantae

February 10, 2019 at 8:26 pm

I had a dream about a girl i don’t know at all. I wasnt attracted to her she seemed as if she was just a friend. And its weird because i have never talked to her or interacted with her I’ve only seen her in pictures

February 11, 2019 at 5:56 pm

Your dream may be a reflection of your social and emotional desires. You do not know this person from the pictures, so she may have been a placeholder for what you may want for your future. You might be interested in developing a new social relationship. Determine what you want for your future, and share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Shantae!

CocoJames

February 9, 2019 at 12:06 pm

I saw a dream about a guy in my class, I never gave him a second thought before this dream. This dream was really disturbing because it involved me killing a bunch of people just to save that boy. What does this mean?

February 11, 2019 at 12:34 pm

The person in your dream could have been a placeholder for someone else in your life. It is possible that your feelings for him are growing. The killing in your dream may be a reflection of the shows and games that you enjoy. Abstain from consuming violent and dramatic media at this time. Share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life, as this will draw positive people and energy toward you. Have a great day, Coco!

Robyn

February 7, 2019 at 11:46 am

I had a dream about a guy last night … I was with my current boyfriend at a building but we were not a couple …..I have never seen the guy in my life ..we meet in the dream and start talking and eventually fall in love
    I read that I could be wanting a new relationship and a passion for a happy relationship…I will be honest , my boyfriend has depression and it gets very difficult, I sometimes just want to leave the relationship.. as I am an empath … Any suggestions?

February 7, 2019 at 6:54 pm

Your current relationship may be stressful, and this dream may be a sign that you are wanting something new. Do not attempt to establish a new romantic relationship while you are with your current partner. Determine what you want for your future, and speak with your partner about your thoughts and feelings. Have a great day, Robyn!

Abdalla Waqti

February 6, 2019 at 11:00 pm

Actually, That Was Happen to me Last Night, There is a beautiful woman that i never see it in my life, and I wonder that i fall in love rapidly when i see it. But When i search dreaming about some one you dont know and i read this Article, I know that i need to get a new romance. but that was a fantastic Dream.

February 7, 2019 at 6:43 pm

Your dream was a reflection of your social and emotional desires. You have interpreted this dream correctly and realized what you want for your future. Share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life, as this will bring you many benefits in the future. If there is someone that you want to develop a relationship with, then speak with that person about your thoughts and feelings. Have a great day, Abdalla!

Annelise

February 5, 2019 at 3:02 pm

So I’ve been having this dream for a while now I don’t know how long but there is always this guy and he looks different in every dream but his personality is exactly the same and the dreams keep feeling realer and realer everytime it’s weird but I always felt like we have had this connection and in the last dream I had he showed up and sometime in the dream he had told me that he loved me. Idk

February 6, 2019 at 8:06 pm

Your dreams may be manifestations of your social and emotional desires. The person in your dream may be a reflection of someone in your life, or he may be an amalgamation of various people or qualities that you admire. Allow this dream to influence you to determine what you want for your future. If there is someone in your life that you want to maintain a relationship with, then speak with that person about your thoughts and feelings. Have a great day, Annelise!

jessica

February 5, 2019 at 10:48 am

I’ve had none stop dreams for the past week of a boy i haven’t seen for 4 years and I’ve only ever said less than 10 words to him. Yet, somehow he appears in my dreams as a good significant other. Each night its a little more of the “story”. It’s almost like my own personal movie or show but its making me feel crazy. Some of my friends think i should tell him i’m having dreams about him, but that’d be a weird thing to tell someone who’s practically a stranger to you.

February 6, 2019 at 7:46 pm

Your dreams are reflections of your social and emotional desires and influences. His presence may be reflections of your feelings toward him, or he may be a manifestation of someone else in your life. The continuance of the story of your dreams is normal, so you will find great benefit in attempting to decipher the meaning of this story for yourself. Determine what you want for your future. If you want to reach out to him, then speak with him about your thoughts and feelings. Have a great day, Jessica!

Jen

February 5, 2019 at 6:53 am

I have had this dream since 13 years old and its a bit different every time. Its about a guy that i dont know and I cant see his face but that doesnt bother me in my dream. Im calm and kind of happy and I know he loves me. I can feel it. Sometimes he Just stands in front of me, sometimes he holds my hand, sometimes he hugs me and one time he kissed me. We never talk and I cant see his face nor that i want to cuz in my dream i guess i somehow know him. Its really weird can you help me understand it?

February 5, 2019 at 10:43 am

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. This unknown person may have been someone from your past, or he may manifest in your future. The behaviors in your dream are signs of a close emotional connection. Share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Jen!