What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone You Don’t Know?

By on September 4, 2017

When you dream about someone you know, you have a place to start interpreting the dream. They may have appeared because you like them or because they represent a certain kind of quality that you want to have in your waking life. When you do not know the person who appears in your dream, it can be extremely disconcerting. You see them in your dreams, but you can’t tell what they mean because you have never met them in real life. There are a few reasons why you may have an unknown person appear in your dreams though.

dreaming about someone

Your subconscious creates the dreams that you have each night. Currently, neurologists believe that the neurons in your mind fire at random. The images, memories and thoughts that are released are jumbled and completely random. The story in your dreams is put together by the rest of your mind when you wake up and the mind tries to make sense of your dreams.

This is one possible reason why random people appear in your dream. You may have seen them on television or in line behind you at Starbucks. You never consciously noticed them or thought about them, but their image was imprinted into your memory. Because of this, you dreamed about them and your mind just tried to make sense of the memories later on.

Filling a Void

If the neurologists are wrong, your dreams have a subconscious meaning of some sort. If they do, then perhaps your mind is trying to fill some subconscious need, desire or fear. If the person is positive in your dream, you may want to have someone happy and supportive in your real life. If they are chasing you, you may fear that an unknown force or person is working against you. If you dream about an unknown person being your lover, it may represent a desire to have a new romance or increased passion in your life.

It is very easy to believe that the person you see in your dreams is real. It is actually possible that they could be real because you may have seen them at random in your real life. At the same time, they are not someone with a deeper meaning. They give the meaning to the dream, but they themselves mean very little. If you dream of falling in love with an unknown person, it is highly unlikely that you will ever meet them in real life. Instead, they are just someone your subconscious chose to use to represent a feeling, situation, person or something else.

Aspects of Yourself

Sometimes, the people who show up in your dream just represent one of your personality traits or an aspect that you want in your life. For example, you may feel like the entire world is out to get you. Nothing seems to go right. Friends and family members you once trusted have betrayed you, and you are constantly criticized at work. In this scenario, you may dream that an unknown stranger arrives to help you and protect you. This is not because that stranger is actually going to appear in your life. Instead, it is just a sign that you want someone who will help or protect you. Your subconscious was unable to choose someone else to fill the role because you do not have someone like that in your present environment.

In other cases, the dream represents an aspect that you would like to have. Perhaps you are the type of person who works 9 to 5 at a respectable, stable job. You are a dutiful spouse and parent, and you are always on top of things at home. You may dream that a fun, playful person appears in your dreams. This may happen as a representation of the qualities you want in your waking life. You want to have spontaneous experiences and fun, so your subconscious mind lets you experience things in your dreams.

There are times when a stranger appears in your dreams to make you question your waking existence once again. It can be extremely hard to analyze your own thoughts and habits. Sometimes, the only way to gain perspective is when someone else does or thinks the same things. The person in your dream may be a mirror reflection of yourself. It may be a chance for you to wake up, realize the changes that you want and go for them.

Dreams can be extremely, extremely subjective. Because of this, it is important to look at your own dreams and analyze the feelings, people and experiences that occur. By analyzing your dream, you can figure out how it reflects on your own life and subconscious mind. With that knowledge, you can decide what it means when you dream about someone you don’t know.

mita

February 5, 2019 at 12:24 am

i have this dream 2 times, i dated with ‘someone’ in my dreams but i don’t remember his face at all

February 5, 2019 at 10:32 am

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. The person in your dream may have been a manifestation of someone in your life or an amalgamation of various people that you know. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Mita!

Alexis

February 4, 2019 at 7:55 am

I’ve been having the same dream for years but at diffent times. I was at a party with some family members and some people from My aunts job and they asked me and a girl to go get drinks so we smiled at each other and went to get them. Once we were in the line I got a strange feeling and whispered “I’ve been and seen this happen before “ and she went outside to get the drinks faster and since I could hear everything I head someone say”there’s an alien and it’s going to attack” so I texted her and told her that our moms said to come back quickly but by the time she was next to me everyone started kicking and beating up someone or maybe something I tried to get a closer look but I didn’t want to risk it. She looked surprised but scared so I pulled her a little bit closer and said” c’mon we have to leave” she started moving for a bit so I started walking to our table and sat down. But I looked around thinking she would be sitting down but she was missing already. And for some reason everytime I dream that I can’t precent her from disappearing.

February 4, 2019 at 1:31 pm

This dream may be a reflection of various influences in your life. The alien attack may be a reflection of your concerns and worries in your life. It is possible that the media that you consume has appeared in this dream s well. It seems as though you want to share your positive energy with the people in your dream. Ensure that this dream influences you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Alexis!

Chris

February 4, 2019 at 6:09 am

So, since i was a kid, maybe a teen, I’ve dreamt of falling in mutual love with this blond guy with a face I don’t remember. It’s the same guy every time I have this kind of dream, and I don’t recognise him outside of my dreams as anyone I know.

Sometimes we’re going on dates, sometimes we’re doing more intimate things. I’ve recently had a dream that we were just starting to get to know eachother. But every time, I always get the feeling that we’re falling in love.

I’m in a committed relationship now, so I thought they’d go away but here I am. Any thoughts on what this could mean?

February 4, 2019 at 1:23 pm

Your dreams were reflections of your social and emotional desires. It is possible that this person was a manifestation of qualities that you found attractive. You are currently in a relationship, so allow this dream to influence you to spend additional time with your partner in person. This will help nourish your current relationship. Have a great day, Chris!

veronica

February 3, 2019 at 9:33 pm

there was this famous boy band in our country and they visited my school announcing that there will be a singing audition exclusively for girls. I don’t know them actually. I love singing but i don’t feel the want to audition. So im with my friend roaming around the campus and i was singing silently but someone i don’t know heard me singing and then he told me that I was the one they’ve been looking for. That was the end of my dream. Can you please tell me the meaning of my dream? huhuhu thanks :–)

February 4, 2019 at 1:17 pm

Your dream could have been a sign that you appreciate the boy band that appeared in your dream. The joy you find in singing may have manifested as well. You may find benefit in attempting to sign up for singing lessons. This may help you reach your goals. This dream will guide you in a positive direction. Have a great day, Veronica!

JM

February 3, 2019 at 6:43 pm

My boy bestfriend is always dreaming about a girl named Michelle/Mitch. She always appear in his dreams, sometimes the girl is a long hair and sometimes short hair, white complexion, and she’s always wearing red dress. Any scenario of my friend’s dream, she always there. And when my friend attempt to ask the girl who is she in his life or why she always appear in his dreams, he always ended in waking up. It is always like that. What does that mean?

February 4, 2019 at 1:12 pm

The person in his dream may be a reflection of his thoughts and feelings. She may be a manifestation of his current social relationships, and her physical appearance may be a reflection of the media that he consumes. He has chosen to speak with you about his dreams, which may be a sign that he feels a strong connection with you. Nourish this relationship by spending additional time with him in person. Have a great day, JM!

adam

February 3, 2019 at 2:04 pm

i had a dream about a girl my age that i do not know in real life but we were going on a date and then i started to notice i was falling in love with them in my dream i then woke up. when i woke i started to think about the dream but couldn’t remember what they looked like. What does this mean?

February 4, 2019 at 12:56 pm

Your dream may be a reflection of your social and emotional desires. The person in your dream could be a manifestation of aspects of a partner than you find valuable. The fact that you can’t remember what the person looked like means that the person in your dream could have been a placeholder for someone in your life. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Adam!

K.B.

February 3, 2019 at 9:25 am

In the car with my aunt and my grandma.
    I’m in the backseat of the driver’s side and one of them says something about a boy getting in some mess with a gang member, how they’re coming after him behind messing around with their girl. Sammy didn’t know because the girl never said anything. He got into an altercation over the phone, the other guy is trying to wait for Sammy. He wants him dead. I asked who this boy was and I’m told he’s family, that he’s my cousin.

I’m also told that he’d be working that night at some restaurant, something like a McDonald’s or Whataburger. I’m asking if we can go there so I can meet him. We pull up in the drive through while I’m quietly asking my aunt if that’s him, she says it is. I’m peering to the right from my side, looking over my Grandma’s shoulder to see him. He catches my eyes and keeps staring. His face is sort of blank. Somehow he messages me on Facebook not too long after us meeting.

His message said “Great. You just made my situation worse.” I asked why he felt that way and he explains his situation; then how he wishes could’ve met me sooner. He says he knows he’ll be dead. I start trying to think of something to keep him from being seen by the dude after him, “Well why can’t you just stay with us?”

I can’t remember too much but the next thing that happened was it didn’t work out. Somehow he was in a correctional center. I immediately rushed my way down there when I found out.
    When I arrive an officer begins acting funny with me, saying he’s gonna take me out the waiting room to get my blood pressure checked. I knew right there and then I was being messed with.
    I can’t remember the name on the badge, i think it was Wilkinson. He was white. He didn’t look white though, he looked like he was mixed with another race. Idk what his deal was. I couldn’t put my finger on it.

I’m signing paperwork to see Sammy and of course, I have to wait longer. The same man who rough-handled me was sitting on a bench in this foyer area of the building. He stretched his legs out when I was about to walk by, then he whispered something to me. I think he was flirting. It was disgusting for him to let that authoritative role get to his head and call himself flirting with me.

I walked over his feet and eyed this door to the left him, he smirked, I went in and throughout this room were bunk beds. Some were empty and some had boys laying in them, some of the boys looked dirty. Before I get to the end, there’s this beaming ceiling light above my head. I look up and I see some boys on the top bunk by the door. For some reason I felt I had to look specifically at this one bunk and I try calling out Sammy’s name. A guy nearby tries to shake one of the boys awake, it reeks of dry blood and sweat. Almost smelled like a dead dog for a second.

The boy looks up and the first thing I notice is his black eye, how swollen his right side was. He reaches his hand out and I hold onto it, “Sammy? Who did this to you?” He starts letting more tears out, it seems he’d be crying before I came. He was in distress. He was hurting both on the inside and outside. I couldn’t do anything for him. I couldn’t sneak him out. No matter how bad I wanted to take him with me so that he’d be safe, I just couldn’t. And the last thing I would expect is for him to get beat behind these walls.

I placed my hand on his left cheek and rubbed his head for a while, as I tear up I tell him, “I love you.” And I felt that love too. In that moment I felt understood, I knew that he knew I meant it. Even though I’ve never met him up until then, even though we just found out we were family, even though he said I made his situation worse, I loved him. I wanted him to know. I needed him to know he was loved, because it could’ve been the last thing he felt before he died.

Sammy was someone I wish I could’ve met. I mean I wish we could’ve gone out to have fun, I wish we were close, maybe I could’ve prevented his fate.

February 4, 2019 at 12:47 pm

Your dream was lucid and clear. It is possible that your dream may have been a memory of vision from your distant past. It seems as though you feel a connection with this Sammy. This person may even come into your life in the future. The events in your dream should be better understood through introspection, as your dream was filled with many meanings. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, K.B.!

marissa cook

February 3, 2019 at 8:13 am

okay, so this one is a bit weird.

for awhile now, i’ve been having this dream of my “mother”? (i’m confused on that part.) first, i’m in the woods. i’m cleaned up, regular me— i was just wandering a bit farther than home at supper-time. as i get farther, i get dirtier and dirtier, and more cut up. my “mother” comes out, and i expect her to call me back home for dinner, but she doesn’t. then i realize, i don’t recognize her. she’s a different, younger woman that i’ve never seen before …. but then she turns into a wolf? she doesn’t go home, but instead leads me farther into the woods. but just leaves me there.

February 4, 2019 at 12:01 pm

Your dream may be a reflection of various influences in your life. Stories throughout history have been written follow a similar plot. It is possible that you feel as though there is benefit in exploring the world around you, though you are aware of the dangers that may be waiting for you. You will find benefit in abstaining from consuming violent and dramatic media. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Marissa!

Dianna

February 2, 2019 at 10:41 pm

I have a great family- loving husband and son. I have dream that repeats the main story- me walking out with stranger, having fun, dancing and having sex. It felt so good,when I woke up (I didn’t want to) I get embarrassed and guilty !?
    Is it ok to have a dream like this?

February 4, 2019 at 11:39 am

Your dream is normal and not a reflection of misbehavior. However, you are aware that you are in a strong relationship, so you should allow this dream to fade. Focus your emotional energy on your husband and son. This will ensure that you spend additional time with your family and strengthen your relationships. Have a great day, Dianna!

Peaches

February 2, 2019 at 6:33 pm

For a few years now I have been having a dream that I was getting married but never could see my grooms face but since I have been in my current relationship I see him as my groom what would that mean?

February 4, 2019 at 11:32 am

Your dreams may have been reflections of your desire to establish a strong social and emotional relationship with someone. The fact that you couldn’t see the face of your partner in the past may have been a sign that you were uncertain as to who you wanted to get married to. You are now in a strong relationship and his face has appeared in your dreams. It is certainly possible that this means that your current partner was the man of your dreams. Speak with him about your thoughts and feelings. Have a great day, Peaches!

Stphnk23

January 30, 2019 at 4:35 pm

This is going to sound strange but I had a dream I was in a relationship with someone I’ve never seen before but it was a loving and caring relationship, but I then walked to a bathroom and seen his twin brother and he filled me with excitement, my boyfriend came in and said it’s ok and then I ended up in a room with their mom and she was asking if I wanted peaches 😂😂 I know it sounds strange but I can’t decode this to understand please help me!

January 30, 2019 at 7:02 pm

Your dream seems to be a reflection of your social and emotional desires. The person in your dream may have had qualities that you desire in a partner. Your partner in your waking life appeared in your dream, which may be a sign that you want to strengthen this relationship. Spend additional time with him in person, as this will nourish your relationship. Have a great day, Stphnk!

Cami

January 30, 2019 at 8:25 am

I had a dream about a guy i know but ive never dreamed about before and he’s like 5yrs older than me but in my dream we were together and happy and then he died and it was like I knew i was dreaming but it felt so real and I cried when he died like a lot I dont know if this means i have a lot of feelings for him or what but I dont think he’ll ever date me bc of the age difference

January 30, 2019 at 6:35 pm

Your dream was a reflection of your social and emotional desires and influences. It is possible that you are interested in developing a relationship with this person or someone else. If you and this other person are both adults, then there is no reason to not nourish this relationship. Determine what you want for your future. Speak with him about your thoughts and feelings. Nourish this relationship by spending additional time with him in person. Have a great day, Cami!

Nene

January 29, 2019 at 9:11 am

I had a dream about dis boy n he was really cute but i dont think i knew him but in the dream he was ma boyfriend im just completely wondering and wondering who he could be

January 29, 2019 at 10:06 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your thoughts and feelings. It is possible that you are interested in maintaining a romantic relationship with someone. Allow this dream to influence you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will ensure that positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Nene!

Tris

January 28, 2019 at 6:58 am

I had this dream of me and my current relationship broke up months later I meet this wonderful man that have everything I want in a relationship everythings is going good months later he purpose to me.

January 28, 2019 at 7:22 pm

Your dream may be a reflection of your social or emotional relationship with him. It is possible that this is a sign that you want to nourish a long term relationship. Strengthen your current relationship by spending additional time with your current partner. Determine what you want for your future. You may want to speak with your partner about your desires for the future. Have a great day, Tris!

rose32

January 28, 2019 at 1:04 am

I had this dream where the setting kept changing. I was chased by men i didnt know. Falling into the ocean but not necessarily scared i was trying to find home. then i got to the current place im living at and there were strangers in my living room playing a weird game with toy cars and one told me to pick up the police car. after that i woke up

January 28, 2019 at 6:58 pm

The changes of setting and characters in your dream may be a reflection of a wide variety of influences in your life. The men and strangers may be a manifestation of your knowledge that there are people in your life who may want to develop a relationship with you. If you find yourself being chased in future dreams, then address whatever is chasing you in the future. Ensure that your dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Rose!

Matthew

January 27, 2019 at 6:32 pm

So i had this dream of a girl thats in my biology class and i barely talk to her. Than in tbe dream we started talking and somehow dated despite her being really cute i dont know why i had this dream. Please tell me why.

January 27, 2019 at 8:25 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your desire to establish a relationship with this person. Determine what you want for your future. Speak with her about your thoughts and feelings. Give her an opportunity to share herself with you as well. Nourish this relationship by spending additional time with her in person. Have a great day, Matthew!

Dave

January 27, 2019 at 2:27 pm

I have a dream abput girl and i fall inlove with her
    It feel so real i really wish i have one

January 27, 2019 at 8:02 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desire. You likely want to maintain a romantic relationship. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will help bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, Dave!

👑

January 27, 2019 at 9:08 am

I had this dream for i think more than 8 times already.So basically there i was walking somewhere in the park with a guy with blurred face when we suddenly stopped walking then he just disappeared. I don’t understand it, and honestly it’s starting to creep me out.

January 27, 2019 at 7:51 pm

It seems as though your dream may be a reflection of your knowledge of the future. You are aware that there will be people who will manifest in your life. You are uncertain about who those people are and how those interactions will influence you. If you have a similar dream in the future, then attempt to communicate with whoever appears in your dream. This will help you better understand the purpose of your dreams. Have a great day, Anon!

$?$

January 24, 2019 at 9:10 am

I saw a scary dream this morning that a scary unknown woman was running behind me to kill me and i was running really fast and screaming for help and then a guy rescued me and took me to a building than that building turned into my house and some weird supernatural things start to happen and 3 guy of same face which i never seen or knew gather around me to possess me i screamed for help but no one showed up i was really scared! i wasn’t able to wake up at that time i was stuck in my dreams than suddenly i realized its a dream and i can be saved if i open my eyes so i woke up terrified and covered with sweat!it was really scary i thought i wAs about to die in my dreams!!😢

January 25, 2019 at 10:01 pm

Dreams about being chased are often manifestations of a fear or concern that you may have in your life. Your physical and emotional reaction when you woke up are signs of the strength your your dream. If you find yourself being chased in future dreams, then address whoever or whatever is chasing you in the future. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life, as this will reduce negative dreams from manifesting in the future. Have a great day, Anon!

Nidhi

January 24, 2019 at 12:19 am

So i wanna know meaning of two different dreams but its too long to write so i will just write this one dream that i had this morning. So i was in danger its a long story why but basically i was running away from these people who idek and this group of guys helped me and were trying to protect me. These guys are actually people i know but we dont talk at all like maybe just acknowledge the fact that we live in the same building. All of the people who helped me are actually good friends but they don’t really talk to me nor do i. Its like we know that this person exists but we never talk to each other. I REALLY WANNA KNOW WHY I SAW THEM. I haven’t seen them in my building for like weeks, then why am i dreaming about them all of a sudden?

January 24, 2019 at 10:41 pm

Dreams about being chased are reflections of your fears and concerns. The people in your dreams have attempted to protect you. This means that you want to maintain a relationship with people who make you feel secure and comfortable. It is possible that something in your dream caused you to think of these people from your past. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will help bring positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Nidhi!