What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone You Don’t Know?

By on September 4, 2017

When you dream about someone you know, you have a place to start interpreting the dream. They may have appeared because you like them or because they represent a certain kind of quality that you want to have in your waking life. When you do not know the person who appears in your dream, it can be extremely disconcerting. You see them in your dreams, but you can’t tell what they mean because you have never met them in real life. There are a few reasons why you may have an unknown person appear in your dreams though.

dreaming about someone

Your subconscious creates the dreams that you have each night. Currently, neurologists believe that the neurons in your mind fire at random. The images, memories and thoughts that are released are jumbled and completely random. The story in your dreams is put together by the rest of your mind when you wake up and the mind tries to make sense of your dreams.

This is one possible reason why random people appear in your dream. You may have seen them on television or in line behind you at Starbucks. You never consciously noticed them or thought about them, but their image was imprinted into your memory. Because of this, you dreamed about them and your mind just tried to make sense of the memories later on.

Filling a Void

If the neurologists are wrong, your dreams have a subconscious meaning of some sort. If they do, then perhaps your mind is trying to fill some subconscious need, desire or fear. If the person is positive in your dream, you may want to have someone happy and supportive in your real life. If they are chasing you, you may fear that an unknown force or person is working against you. If you dream about an unknown person being your lover, it may represent a desire to have a new romance or increased passion in your life.

It is very easy to believe that the person you see in your dreams is real. It is actually possible that they could be real because you may have seen them at random in your real life. At the same time, they are not someone with a deeper meaning. They give the meaning to the dream, but they themselves mean very little. If you dream of falling in love with an unknown person, it is highly unlikely that you will ever meet them in real life. Instead, they are just someone your subconscious chose to use to represent a feeling, situation, person or something else.

Aspects of Yourself

Sometimes, the people who show up in your dream just represent one of your personality traits or an aspect that you want in your life. For example, you may feel like the entire world is out to get you. Nothing seems to go right. Friends and family members you once trusted have betrayed you, and you are constantly criticized at work. In this scenario, you may dream that an unknown stranger arrives to help you and protect you. This is not because that stranger is actually going to appear in your life. Instead, it is just a sign that you want someone who will help or protect you. Your subconscious was unable to choose someone else to fill the role because you do not have someone like that in your present environment.

In other cases, the dream represents an aspect that you would like to have. Perhaps you are the type of person who works 9 to 5 at a respectable, stable job. You are a dutiful spouse and parent, and you are always on top of things at home. You may dream that a fun, playful person appears in your dreams. This may happen as a representation of the qualities you want in your waking life. You want to have spontaneous experiences and fun, so your subconscious mind lets you experience things in your dreams.

There are times when a stranger appears in your dreams to make you question your waking existence once again. It can be extremely hard to analyze your own thoughts and habits. Sometimes, the only way to gain perspective is when someone else does or thinks the same things. The person in your dream may be a mirror reflection of yourself. It may be a chance for you to wake up, realize the changes that you want and go for them.

Dreams can be extremely, extremely subjective. Because of this, it is important to look at your own dreams and analyze the feelings, people and experiences that occur. By analyzing your dream, you can figure out how it reflects on your own life and subconscious mind. With that knowledge, you can decide what it means when you dream about someone you don’t know.

1. calvin

December 1, 2018 at 9:16 pm

i had a dream that i was with my friends at my parents house (there was five of us but i only recognized one from real life). suddenly we start hearing noises and decide to try and figure out what it could be. two of my friend then go upstairs and i start to hear my name being called from upstairs. curious, i also go upstairs and when i call one of the guys who went up and ask where they are, he simply replies, ‘gone’. freaked out, i ran back downstairs to find all the lights turned off and everyone else had vanished. i woke up feeling super terrified after that. what could it all mean?? (btw, the one person that i actually know in real life was one of the people that went upstairs)

December 2, 2018 at 8:53 pm

Your dream may be a reflection of a fear or concern in your life. You will find great benefit in abstaining from consuming violent and dramatic media. Your social influences may have appeared in your dream as well. If you have similar dreams in the future, then attempt to address whichever thing is causing you concern or harm, as this will reduce the frequency of similar dreams from manifestation in the future. Have a great day, Calvin!

2. Miranda

December 1, 2018 at 3:42 pm

There’s this new kid in my class. I don’t talk to him and never had a conversation with him, but we always make eye contact and he seems to just always notice me when I’m around. Just this recently I had a dream about him as if we were getting really close friends. Almost like we both liked eachother. In my dream we hung out and Kaye’s outside next to eachother. Then I woke up and have no idea what it means.

December 2, 2018 at 8:44 pm

Your dream was a reflection of your social relationship with this person. It is possible that he is interested in nourishing a relationship with you. Your dream may be a sign that you want to do the same. Perhaps allow this dream to influence you to reach out to him. He is new, which may be a perfect opportunity for you to welcome him and make a new friend. Have a great day, Miranda!

3. Aby

December 1, 2018 at 4:16 am

I had a dream of working in a bakery which is going to shut down anytime.But when the owner’s son came and me and him put forward a plan and helped it achieve success and we falled in love in the mean time.He used to bake me muffins.

December 2, 2018 at 12:57 pm

This dream is a reflection of your relationship with this person. The person who used to bake you muffins likely had a positive influence on your life. If you still know this person, then allow this dream to influence you to share your kindness and compassion at all times. Perhaps you are interested in creating a business or sharing an idea, and this cause your dream to manifest. Have a great day, Aby!

4. jojo

December 1, 2018 at 1:14 am

i dreamed about some party at my backyard and i went out and fall in love with a stranger. i never met or seen her in my life but she still appearing my dreams.

December 2, 2018 at 12:55 pm

The stranger may have been a reflection of your social and emotional desires and influences. The part may be a sign of your desire to develop new social relationships. Her appearance in your dreams may be an indication that this is someone that you may know from a long time ago or someone who may manifest in your future. Have a great day, Jojo!

5. Iha

November 30, 2018 at 10:28 pm

So last night i had a dream and i didn’t even know about it until a sudden insight during the middle of the day reminded me.
    There was a boy whose face i remember vaguely and me and I think we were older than my age at present. We liked each other and started dating. There were some sweet intimate moments too. There was also his family and alot of incidents took place like meeting them and they liked me but something happened,etc. but i remember only fragments of it. Oh and all of this happened in Singapore (which is very far from where i live and i have no connection to the place whatsoever).
    It was an extremely long dream which felt like a soap opera almost, too bad i don’t remember the details. I can’t stop thinking about that guy..

December 2, 2018 at 12:48 pm

This dream is a reflection of your social and emotional influences. The location of Singapore may have manifested for a variety of reasons. It is possible that something in your life has caused you to think of traveling. Allow this dream to influence you to share your kindness and compassion at all times. This will help manifest positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Iha!

6. Mandy

November 30, 2018 at 8:23 pm

I had this dream last night where I was at home and someone parked in of our house. It was a boy and he said that I forgot something at school. I was gonna hug him for some reason but my parents were watching from the window so i just said thanks and bye. Fast forward it’s the next day and I go to this restaurant place and my mom and sister and brother in law are there. We go to sit down and there he is sitting in the booth right next to ours with his friends. We smiled at eachother but I couldn’t do much since my mom was there. We kept looking over at eachother but then it ended. I remember how he looks like and his personality and it felt like I was dating him but everytime I wanted a moment with him my parents interrupted. I’ve never dated anyone either so I don’t know what’s going on. I can’t stop thinking about this dream.

December 2, 2018 at 12:37 pm

Your dream was a reflection of your social and emotional influences and thoughts. It is possible that this person is a manifestation of someone that you know or a stranger that you may meet in the future. This seemed like a positive dream. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will help draw positive people and energy toward you. Have a great day, Mandy!

7. Talia

November 28, 2018 at 3:57 am

I had a dream about a boy with electric blue eyes black glasses and black hair. He keeps tripping and falling into me and I turn into a blushing mess at school.

November 29, 2018 at 8:15 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional connections. If this person exists only in your dreams, then he may be a manifestation of someone else in your life. If he is real, then allow this dream to guide you to determine what you want for the future of this relationship. If there is someone that you want to nourish a relationship with, then spend additional time with that person. Have a great day, Talia!

8. Lyra

November 26, 2018 at 9:28 am

I’ve had a dream about a unknown guy sense I was seven… at first he was a faceless kid the only visible thing was his voice and the clothes. Ten years passed and the images have become more vivid. We are sharing experiences but he now has a face and his voice is gone. It seems like he is trying to tell me something but I don’t know what. What does a dream like that mean?

November 26, 2018 at 7:48 pm

There may be various reasons for the manifestation of this person. It is likely that he is a manifestation of your emotional and social desires. The disappearance of his face and features may be a sign that you may nourish a strong relationship with anyone who makes you feel comfortable and secure. Allow this dream to guide you to share your kindness and compassion at all times. This will help draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Lyra!

• Sophie

December 9, 2018 at 9:49 am

I had a dream about these two boys who I had a crush on , they lived in my house while another guy who was almost a monster lived in the room next to the 2 boys and would always try to get out and kill them and me but the 2 boys saved me , they were a year or 2 older than me but I have never met them in my life , what does this mean ?

December 9, 2018 at 12:20 pm

These two boys in your dream are reflections of your social and emotional desires. You are interested in nourishing a relationship with someone who makes you feel secure and comfortable. It is possible that one of both of them may manifest in your future. Allow this dream to influence you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Sophie!

9. Jonathan

November 26, 2018 at 6:18 am

So I dreamed about a girl we met each other at school she introduced me to her it was love at first sight we started talking all the time we loved each other so much until I found out she had an abusive dad the girl name was Maxine dream ended I don’t remember much about the dream

November 26, 2018 at 7:44 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional influences and desires. You are aware that there are many people who are abused. You felt a strong connection to the person in your dreams. She may be a manifestation of someone from your past, present, or future. Allow this dream to guide you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will draw positive people and energy toward you. Have a great day, Jonathan!

10. Madison

November 25, 2018 at 7:43 am

Last night I had a dream about this boy, I liked him very much and I felt like we connected sadly I cannot remember much of the dream, what I can remember is that he made me laugh and very happy, he leaned it for a kiss but I told him I had a boyfriend then I woke up. I feel kind of empty now like I miss him or something

November 25, 2018 at 8:19 pm

Your dream is a reflection of various social and emotional influences in your life. Your statement in your dream may be a sign of your current relationship status. If you are in a relationship, then you were honest with the person in your dream. This is a positive dream. Share your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Madison!

11. Marcella Esperanza

November 24, 2018 at 7:29 pm

I had a dream about this guy that goes to my school and we had never talked before and in the dream he was working somewhere on like a bridge that went over a river that looked almost like a beach. I went the the restaurant where he worked in the dream and he showed interest in me and then like I remember the dream turning into this party where we hung out all night all the meanwhile I had a boyfriend but i didn’t love him as much as I did in the beginning of the relationship. Then somewhere towards the end of my dream he was in my house and we were just chilling on my stairs and my parents were coming and I had to sneak him out and its like 6 in the morning (we stayed up all night). Thats where the dream ended and then a few days or like a week later him and his friend came to talk to this guy I was talking to after practice and he was like using my name to talk to me and I sooo shocked like we use to do the same sport but he didn’t make grades so he got cut but he was talking to me like he knew me. Then the guy left and it was just the guy from my dream and his friend there and we all just talked about whatever. Ever since that day the guy (from my dream) has texted almost everyday and I just don’t know what to think

November 25, 2018 at 8:02 pm

Your dream may have been a reflection of various social influences in your life. It is possible that you were not aware of certain things, though this knowledge may have appeared in your dreams. In your waking life, the two of you are speaking daily. This is likely a sign that your relationship is being nourished. Perhaps spend additional time with him in person, as this will strengthen your relationship. Have a great day, Marcella!

12. Anna

November 24, 2018 at 4:15 pm

I had a dream last night starting when I was in a car with family but when I looked outside the window there was a cute guy walking around a nice neighbourhood with his camera We made eye contact and smile at each other softly and he took a picture of me but I didn’t get shy. Which is weird because in reality I get very shy in front of a camera. Whoever was driving drove off and we went into an apartment where we were visiting at the neighbourhood. Something happened in the dream where I forgot what went on but suddenly the cute guy came out and the women stated that it’s her son. Both of our mums asked us to get to know each other and we did but only then I remembered I had a boyfriend in real life. Once we were more comfortable with each other I asked to see the picture he has taken of me and when he showed it, it looked amazing. Fast forward we began to like each other and got pretty close and playful which I feared coz I knew I had a boyfriend but I still continued it. When it was time to go back we exchanged numbers and he put my mine as ‘photogenic lover’ and he requested to mine as ‘my talented baby’ then the dream stopped

November 25, 2018 at 7:49 pm

Your dream may be a reflection of your social relationships and influences. The photographic aspects of your dream could be a manifestation of your desire to look inward. Take this time to determine what you want for your future. You are currently in a relationship, so allow this dream to influence you to spend additional time with your partner. This will help to strengthen your relationship. Have a great day, Anna!

13. Aisha

November 24, 2018 at 1:36 pm

Last night i had a dream of a guy I used to see in another team for a sport and I dream of me talking to him and we were hanging out and I remember us hugging and we missed but I’m already in a relationship so why would I dream of another guy if me and the guy that was in my dream havnt talked in person

November 25, 2018 at 7:40 pm

The person in your dream may be a reflection of your previous social connection with you. You are in a relationship, so allow thoughts of this other person to fade. Focus your emotional energy your current partner. Spend additional time with your partner in person, as this will strengthen your relationship. Have a great day, Aisha!

14. Dominic

November 24, 2018 at 11:26 am

I had a dream last night about a group of kids I never met before, but specifically a girl. I’m in a new school but the reason I went to this group is because I saw 2 friends from my old school who don’t actually go to my school. They were sitting somewhere I’ve never been to. I sat down despite all this. When the bell rang we were all apparently sitting in our next class(I didn’t even realize we were in a classroom until this). All our seats were right next to each other but I have never been to that class or classroom before. Then after class something happened and everyone was running away from school. I saw the group of kids and joined them in runnning, but somehow at some point me and this girl were alone and running into a parking lot of a Burger King. It was just us in normal clothing, no school uniform or backpack. We started holding hands even though I just met this person today. We went around the parking lot and Burger King like it was a date. We talked about how she used to go here a lot when she was younger and how I don’t live far from it either. And after all this I woke up feeling like I wanted some answers to what I just happened. So I browsed the internet and found this page. But I keep thinking about this girl even though I don’t know her.

November 25, 2018 at 7:37 pm

Your dream was a reflection of your various social and emotional influences. The unknown people in your dream may be manifestations of the fact that you are going to a new school. The girl may be a reflection of your desire for a romantic relationship. Determine what you want for your future at this time. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Dominic!

15. Nikeeta

November 23, 2018 at 11:55 pm

I Dreamt Of an Unknown Girl who came to my room… And Took me to other room saying she has a secret to tell… So went with her to other room.. Where she made me sit with her on bed.. And said..”I am Going to die.. I was here just to meet you and Be with you for sometime…”
    And Then she Disappeared like a Spirit Fades away.. Her body.. Part by part faded..

November 24, 2018 at 9:14 pm

This dream may be a reflection of a social or emotional influences in your life. This person may have been from your distant past. Her fading may be a sign of a change that you are experiencing. This manifestation may have appeared to you because of an influence in your waking life. Allow this dream to influence you to share your kindness and compassion, as this will honor her memory. Have a great day, Nikeeta!

16. Jaycee

November 23, 2018 at 7:25 pm

I dreamed about a girl. I don’t know where we were but we are in the room, a small room with othe 3 people. We’re watching tv and then I was looking gor my phone and I heard a girl voice from behind. Suddenly the girl in my dream grabbed my waist to sit down. She hug me from my back, embracing me till I fall asleep the her other hand squeezing my hand. She kissed the back of my ear and I could feel her warm breath. It feels so real and then I woke up with the position in my dream. What was that all about ? I cried after coz how i wish to make it come true.

November 23, 2018 at 11:00 pm

This dream is a reflection of your emotional social desires. You want to establish a relationship with someone who makes you feel secure and loved. Determine what you want for your future. If there is someone who you want to nourish a relationship with, then speak with her about your thoughts and feelings. Have a great day, Jaycee!

17. Christina

November 23, 2018 at 6:24 pm

I dreamed about a guy i don’t know. The scene i remembered i that he asked me if i enjoy what he did last day. And i answered him that i don’t know. While walking he back hug me and then kiss my neck. I refuse it. And i asked him, “did you know that i have a boyfriend?” And he answered,”no.” Then i woke up.
    P.s. i really have a boyfriend.

November 23, 2018 at 10:47 pm

Your dream may be a reflection of various social influences in your life. You are aware that there are other people who are attracted to you. You are in a relationship, so allow thoughts of this other person to fade. Focus your emotional energy on your current partner. Spend additional time with him in person, as this will strengthen your relationship. Have a great day, Christina!

18. K- Tim

November 23, 2018 at 5:33 am

I keep on seeing a ghost boy in my dreams he is not mean he is the total opposite he saves me and makes sure I’m not hurt he even talks to me he can write and everything but he is invisible I can never see him but in my dream I can feel him and I can feel if he’s with me or not I just wanna know if this means anything

November 23, 2018 at 10:16 pm

These dreams may be a reflections of your previous relationships. Death may be a sign of change. Perhaps there was someone in your life that you felt close to, but that person may no longer be in your life. These dreams are likely manifestations of your desires to feel comfortable and secure in a relationship. Share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, K!

19. K-Tim

November 23, 2018 at 5:23 am

I keep on having dreams of a ghost boy he protects me and saves me and he can even talk to me but I can’t see him what does it mean

November 23, 2018 at 10:16 pm

20. Grace

November 23, 2018 at 3:21 am

Last night, I had a dream that my friends and I were sitting on a bench at my school. We were talking and all of a sudden, one of my friends ask how my boyfriend and I are doing. I’m confused because I don’t even have a boyfriend! I tell her, “What are you talking about?” My friend shows me who he is and his social media account. I’m shocked and a few seconds later, my apparent “boyfriend” comes out from the gym in front of us (apparently he’s a basketball player) and he goes over to me. I have never seen this guy in real life, but he is quite cute. Fast forward, my “boyfriend” and I are alone, and I act like everything is normal and that he doesn’t know that I don’t know about him being my boyfriend. He tries to hold my hand, touch me playfully, etc. I’m not really the affectionate type since I’m very shy so I just scoot away from him a little. He gets kind of mad at me and says “why are you being so shy?” and I don’t say anything, I just look down at my feet. My dream ends from there. I may be missing some details but this is what I remember. I can’t stop thinking about this dream.

November 23, 2018 at 10:11 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. You may be interested in maintaining a relationship with someone at this time. It is possible that you are aware that your shyness or uncertainty may have prevented a relationship from flourishing. Your partner in your dream was likely a manifestation of potential partners that you may have at this time. Have a great day, Grace!