What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone Who Is Already Dead?

By on March 8, 2018

Dreams can have many different meanings to different people, each dream interpreted slightly differently from the way before, dictated by the setting, scenario, or events that happen during the course of it. Dreams are believed to be the mind’s way of communicating with you — telling you things or reminding you of certain places/people/situations that you might not have otherwise remembered.

What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone Who Is Already Dead?

A very common dream to have is one where a dead friend, relative, or associate pops up. Dreaming of someone who is already dead could, of course, just be a sign that you were thinking of or missing that person. It is very common to dream of someone who has recently passed away, and although this might be of some comfort to you, it might strike the question:

What does it mean when you dream about someone who is already dead?

As well as being a very obvious sign that you miss the person who has died and commonly occurring in the time period immediately following the passing, dreaming of that person is also thought to be a message, of sorts, from beyond the grave. For many years there have been links and theories that the dream world and spirit world could be connected, and if this were to be true, dreaming could be a way for that spirit — the spirit of the dead person — to communicate with you. If it seems that you are being told a message, perhaps to go ahead with someone or even to be wary or cautious of a new adventure you are embarking on, it might just be time to sit back and listen.

Are you rushing into things?

Are you making a poor choice?

Have you thought about it logically and rationally?

In Pagan times, it was traditionally believed that a deceased person communicating advice in a dream was to be listened to and obeyed immediately, any disobedience met by anger from the Gods and the encouragement of bad luck and omens.

Some dream experts believe that dreams of passed relatives in the run-up to a wedding could be interpreted as advice against the coupling.

Dreaming of deceased parents, especially when they are, once again, giving you a warning or advice is thought to be a subconscious sign that trouble is on the horizon and that you should make sure you’re planning for all eventualities, both bad as well as good.

Dreaming of the newly deceased could also be the way that your subconscious tells you that you’re not quite finished with the grieving process. Grief and mourning following the death of a loved one is a process, and it can often be a very lengthy one, particularly if the death was seemingly out-of-the-blue or a shock. In grief-ridden dreams, it is typical to have the same or similar dreams repeatedly, over the course of a few weeks or months. It is also quite common to experience a conflict of some sort, in the dream. This could be seen as a metaphor for how you’re not dealing with your own emotions during the difficult time of your life. Maybe you need to stop bottling your emotions up and actually deal with what you’re feeling. This is very much the case if you are spiralling downwards, feeling lonely, or don’t think you have anywhere to turn. There is always someone that can and will help, and you shouldn’t be afraid to speak out and say that you need comfort or affection.

What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone Who Is Already Dead?2

Finally, there is another dream interpretation that you should bear in mind when looking into the meanings of dreaming about deceased loved ones; it could be a sign that all is at peace, particularly if the dream itself was a pleasant, comforting, or soothing one. Many people worry about what happens to the ‘being’ or ‘soul’ of a person when that person passes on, and a comforting or soothing dalliance in the dream is meant to be a sign that everything is okay and as it should be.

There are often so many different dream interpretations for just one dream-topic alone, which can make it tough to understand what the dream is actually meant to mean or depict. Only you can appreciate the importance of that dream to you, and we hope that you also manage to find comfort following the passing of a loved one.

Ami

September 14, 2019 at 5:25 am

I had a dream of a good good friend who passed away suddenly about 4 years ago. I’ve had dreams of him before with hugging and smiling and feeling he’s okay, but this time when I saw him, there were other people there too and everyone was so excited he was back. He seemed confused, he didn’t know who anyone was. It was his body but it wasn’t him inside. He just looked lost and confused and smiled politely. We had him back physically but looking into his eyes, it wasn’t really him. It left me with a lost feeling. I’ve has this dream a few times now about him. I have my friend with me again, but sad we have to try to build up all the years of memories again, or that it’s not really HIM inside. What could this mean?

September 14, 2019 at 9:45 pm

Your dream is a manifestation of your emotional connection with your late friend. The people who were there and happy to see him could be reflections of his friends and family members. The confusion about his body may be a sign that he is having another experience at this time. It is possible that this is a sign that your feelings of loss have grown. Regardless, share your kindness and compassion at all times. This will help honor the memory of your friend. Have a great day, Ami!

McQueen

September 13, 2019 at 11:38 pm

I had a dream about the an old man (landlord of the my childhood house) that passed away years ago,just saw my myself in the old house and he was just there doing somethings by himself.Wasn’t a scary dream but it is confusing.

September 14, 2019 at 8:32 pm

The presence of this person in your dream may be a manifestation of your previous relationship with him. There may be various reasons for the purpose of this dream. You may have thought about him or something could have reminded you of him. You will honor his memory by sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, McQueen!

Autumn

September 13, 2019 at 6:20 am

I had a dream about my brother that died almost 4 and a half years ago. Idk what was going up but he had just gotten out of jail and he had been in there a really long time and he got out and we thought that he was done with popping pills and so he said he was going to go to the store so i waited for him to get back and there were 2 neighbors over helping my dad with something and there was this other guy that I didn’t notice before but i turned around and he had came back and i was so excited so he walked straight passed me and sat down in the floor of the living room of the house that we live in now and i followed him because i wanted to spend time with him and as soon as i walked over he turned away from me so i sat down and he turned away again and it took me a second to realize he had 2 little bags of pills and he was facing away from me and i moved and sat in front of him again and I was shocked because he was doing this in front of everyone but no one was paying attention except colt and I. my dad was just a few feet away and i kept thinking, you are going to get in trouble if dad sees and so he turned a different direction and i moved and sat in front of him again and he moved again and all i wanted him to do was look at me but he wouldnt and as i watched him and when i realized he wouldn’t even look at me i burst out into tears and i started crying And then in my dream when i started crying i realized that he hadn’t gone to the store, he had went to get pills and that he was high again and he was just picking up where he left off. I actually started crying as i was sleeping and that’s when i woke up because i was crying and then i realized how bad off he was and it has just made me really upset it took me a second to realize that he isn’t here anymore. What does this mean?

September 13, 2019 at 5:15 pm

This dream is a manifestation of your emotional relationship with your late brother and of the experiences that you shared during his life. It is possible that he was abusing drugs during your life. The presence of your father may be an indication of your mutual relationship with your brother. The crying within the dream could be a sign of how you felt about your brother’s actions. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will honor the memory of your brother. Have a great day, Autumn!

Joe

September 14, 2019 at 7:42 am

I keep dreaming of my wife even though we were separated we still had a connection together she passed 2years ago and left me with our 4 children in my dreams we are working things out and getting back together. I wake up crying because I know I still love her….

September 14, 2019 at 8:52 pm

This dream is a manifestation of your emotional relationship with your late wife. You are now raising your children, and this likely caused this dream to manifest. Spend additional time with your children, and this will strengthen your relationships. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Joe!

Cat

September 11, 2019 at 10:49 pm

I had a dream last night, I was dressed up for Halloween and ran into my childhood friends sisters which my friend had passed away a year ago, I never found out how I just speculate, I didn’t find out until after the funeral because I don’t have social media or contact with her family after the years.. Her and I were close from the age of 7 to about 15 but then went on different paths in life, last I seen she wasn’t doing so well with choices.. I kinda always thought we would eventually always pick up where we left off when we where in better places.. anyways in my dream I ran into her family which told me it was my fault she “passed away”.. she was 27 when she passed and I hadn’t see her for 3 years before I found out she had died.. I was taking back and confused why they said that in my dream but they told me it was me that started her down a bad path which she never came out from.. after starting to feel very guilty I was told she is actually only brain dead and she is in a coma alive but as a Shell in hopes that she’ll come to one day.. I asked to be taken to her and their I saw what didn’t look like her but a statue not someone living in bed but a statue of a cartoonish girl holding a bow with an arrow pointing away from us coming in.. they said it was her even though I didn’t recognize her in the slightest and I walked up to her, her eyes began to widen and it looked like she or it was walking up and the family seemed surprised but then I woke up.. it made me very uneasy.. does anyone know what that means

September 12, 2019 at 5:03 pm

You maintained a social relationship with your late friend. The two of you took separate paths in your life, and you lost contact with her family. She passed, and latent feelings of guilt may have arisen in this dream. It is clear that you cased for her, so allow the negative aspects of this dream to fade. Share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life, as this will honor the memory of your friend. Have a great day, Cat!

Her

September 11, 2019 at 1:15 pm

Last night I had a dream about my friend Billy whom was recently murdered on the 25th of May this year, he was beat with a bat and set on fire in a field by what whom he thought were his friends.. I haven’t been right since..
    But last night I dreamt about him, smiling, and talking.

I opened the front door of my house randomly and he walks casually into my house like I was expecting him. Like a regular day. It’s almost as if he didn’t know he was deceased. He was smiling and laughing at my expression of shock, jokingly laughing saying “What?”
    He roamed around my house, doing various things. He sits down on my couch touching the side of his head saying he had a headache and he felt hot, he took his jacket off. At this point I was sitting next to him. He laid his head on my lap and I stroked his head lightly..
    After a whole of spending time together he walked outside of the house.. he stood at the bottom of the porch steps smiled and said “I’ll see you later..” and I watched him walk away…

September 12, 2019 at 4:37 pm

This dream is a reflection of your social and emotional relationship with your late friend and the concerns that you have about the circumstances of his death. His behaviors in your house are a sign of the strength of your connection. It is possible that his presence in your dream is the manner in which the two of you communicated your care for each other. You will honor his memory by sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Her!

Her

September 12, 2019 at 8:41 pm

Boy did this make me cry. Thank you..

Her

October 19, 2019 at 1:19 pm

Well he came back again, this dream was almost as if I was living through him. I was hanging out with friends… when suddenly I feel a sudden impact on the side of my head. Billy’s in front of me and I collapse into his arms..I don’t recall the rest and I’m upset that I don’t.

Call me crazy but lately the dreams have been more frequent like he’s trying to tell me something .. like he’s trying to communicate with me and I can’t figure out what it might be…
        I’m aware I may sound crazy but seeing him in my dreams is the only real thing holding me together without him being here…

Emma

September 11, 2019 at 10:07 am

I had a dream today about my late partner who died suddenly back in late 2017. In my dream he was a spirit who was by my side and seemed to reassure me that everything was going to be okay, that I made good life choices after his death.
    Is this supposed to be closure? I still have anger towards him for choosing to leave this life and many questions about why he did what he did. I will never know his reasons. In my dream it felt like he was right beside me interacting with me While my new spouse and daughter were in the same room but only I could see him. What does this mean?

September 12, 2019 at 4:30 pm

Within the dream, you communicated with your late partner. The circumstances of his death are unclear, but you seem that feel that he made the decision to die. His statement within the dream is a sign of your thoughts of closure. Nourish your relationship with your current partner and daughter by spending additional time together in person. It is certain that this will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, Emma!

Christina Camara

September 11, 2019 at 8:58 am

I had a dream about my aunt who passed away a year ago August, I could see her clearly I could smell her and I was talking to her. We were in a huge grassy field and all her family member were walking around, I saw her son and I called for him to come over and I told him look who I found, he didn’t hear me and then he literally walked right through her. That is when I realized I was the only one who could see her, I don’t remember her giving me a message but she just kept saying how sweet how sweet.

September 12, 2019 at 4:27 pm

This dream is a reflection of your emotional relationship with your late aunt. Your knowledge that you were the only one who spoke and interacted with her is an indication of your connection with her. It is possible that the two of you were particularly close. It is possible that there is something you feel that she may have wanted to communicate with you. Share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will honor the memory of your aunt. Have a great day, Christina!

Rohini Dass

September 11, 2019 at 8:56 am

I had a dream where my ex mother in law is not happy with the way she was buried. Her soul is not resting. And I am trying to find a way to help her soul rest. So I’m going to the priest and asking them is she can be buried at a different place. In my dreams I see that we are taking out her body from the grave and it is still fresh after 4 years and I am trying to find out the right place to bury her so her soul can find peace. What does my dream mean?

September 12, 2019 at 4:25 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your emotional relationship with your late ex mother in law. It is possible that you had a conversation with her during her life about her thoughts regarding death. She may not have wanted to be buried, and this dream is a sign of that knowledge. If you feel that it would be appropriate to do so, then visit her grave. If not, then allow this dream to fade. You will honor her memory by sharing your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Rohini!

Jazmina A

September 11, 2019 at 7:31 am

I had a dream Dad one day I was walking with my grandmother which is my dad’s mom and my little sister that passed away 13 years ago at the age of 8 years old. And we were walking down the sidewalk but very close to a highway and Talkin at the same time for a while with another relative (girl cousin) of mine that is still living. I do not recall what was being talked about. Once we made it to a community pool that was surrounded by apartments we went in the gate and my grandmother put her feet in the water and I sit and talk with my little sister for a little while there were other family members in one of the apartment because I remember going in but coming right back out to continue the conversation with my little sister. Then all of a sudden she slapped me. That’s when woke up.

September 12, 2019 at 4:17 pm

This dream is a manifestation of your emotional relationships with your late and living family members. There were various conversations within the dream that you do not remember. The water could be a sign of your desire to relax. The slap from your sister could be an indication of various concerns or worries that you may have in your life. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will honor the memories of your late family members. Have a great day, Jazmina!

Van

September 11, 2019 at 3:28 am

I had a dream of a dead guy whose soul is still working in the office and he seem to not know he is dead yet he keeps on typing in the typewriter. I dont know the guy’s name in real life. He is asking if anyone needs any work but no one is noticing him as he is dead. Then after office hours he approach me and shake hands to say good bye. I am trying to help him know that he is already dead.

September 12, 2019 at 3:45 pm

Dreams about those who have passed may be indications of your thoughts about previous relationships or your thoughts of ghosts. Within the dream, the person shakes your hand and said goodbye. This may be a sign that you had an experience with this person, and this person is now gone. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times. This will bring benefits to you in the future. Have a great day, Van!

Amanda

September 10, 2019 at 11:59 pm

I keep having dreams of people who have passed. It’s different people and the dreams are different. In some those people are alive and I talk with them in others I know they are dead but do things like find something that belonged to them or talk to other people about them. Thing is I keep having these dreams pretty frequently. There are also often people who are still alive but no longer a part of my life in these dreams.

September 12, 2019 at 3:35 pm

These dreams are manifestations of your previous social or emotional relationships. There are people in your life who have died. Death is also a symbol for a change in a relationship. This likely is an indication of relationships that you once had that are no longer maintaining. You will find great benefit by sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Amanda!

AW

September 10, 2019 at 8:37 pm

Hi there…

I had a dream the my late uncle who is my Moms brother, that they were both about to get married. I remember asking other family members if they do not think this is weird that they as brother and sister are about to get married… she was in a white dress and everything. Disclaimer is that I am not in good terms with her so hardly ever speak unless it’s necessary or about my siblings. I had a relatively good relationship with my uncle. My initial thoughts was that thus may mean she is possibly going to die but I don’t have updated information on her health and generally about her life so I would not know.

September 10, 2019 at 9:04 pm

This dream is a reflection of your emotional and familial relationships. The marriage within your dream may be an indication of your thoughts regarding closeness, but not of attraction. You felt that this dream could be an indication that she be facing death. However, you do not have any information regarding her health. Allow this dream to fade. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. If you feel that you need to address your concerns with anyone in your life, then do so. Have a great day, AW!

Gladys moraa

September 9, 2019 at 6:31 pm

I always dreams of my late sister death and latest it came fresh to my mind about her last journey from the morgue but the dream did not end on how she was brought from the morgue and above all I like dreaming about funny things which in our culture are associated with death prediction wherever dreamt of as I can testify from the previous that wherever I could dream of such thing in a few days I could hear the death of either a close friend or person.please advise

September 10, 2019 at 7:27 pm

These dreams are indications of your emotional relationship with your late sister. Your cultural focus on death seemed to influence the appearance of this dream. It seems that you have numerous dreams about death, which may be a sign of your mental focus. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Gladys!

Staci

September 9, 2019 at 7:55 am

So back in 2017 I worked with my mom at a middle school.I was 16 at the time and there was this 8th grader who I kind of had a crush on named e.We just hung out while I was helping her at school but nothing happened because I thought it was weird that I was in high school and liked someone who was younger then me.So fast forward to April of this year the boy was sadly killed at the age of 15.Ive had dreams about him a few times but yesterday it was about us hanging out and we were holding hands . And the other time I remember we kissed while we were hanging out.The dream last night tho kind of scared me because as we were hanging out I noticed a car with a gun in it with mean looking people and I was ready to go.The boy sadly died of gun violence and the people with the gun in the car mugged me so hard and let me off with a warning.What does this mean????

September 9, 2019 at 3:27 pm

This dream is a reflection of your emotional relationship with your late friend. The gun within the dream was a manifestation of your knowledge of gun violence and recent shootings. It seems that you will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. This will help you honor the memory of your friend. Have a great day, Staci!

Rachel

September 8, 2019 at 4:34 pm

I had a dream last night about my father who had died about 12 years ago. I just bought a new house and in the dream he came and I hugged him but he had no arms and I asked him how he liked my new house. He said he liked the house and also seemed happy. what does my dream mean?

September 9, 2019 at 2:33 pm

Your dream is a manifestation of your emotional relationship with your late father. His happiness within your dream is a sign of the strength of your connection. It is clear that you are proud of your life and your house. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will honor the memory of your father. Have a great day, Rachel!

Quentin

September 9, 2019 at 9:18 pm

I had a dream of my late cousin who died 12 years ago he really looked great and and still young there was two things I remember discussing was what do you do in heaven? He said you have chores to do and then I asked about god his reply was that he is god and the greater of all.what does this mean.

September 10, 2019 at 7:29 pm

Your dream is a manifestation of two influences in your life. First, your emotional relationship with your cousin has appeared in this dream. The conservative about your thoughts related to heaven and god is an indication of your spiritual beliefs. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will honor the memory of your cousin. Have a great day, Quentin!

Kylee

September 8, 2019 at 8:02 am

Good morning! I had a dream that my husband who has been dead for almost five years-from suicide, has been alive this whole time and his entire family knew, but never said anything to me or my kids. I was driving one day and seen him with his gramma and so I called his gramma and asked what his address was and then his dad came to get just me-the kids weren’t allowed to come, and took me to his house. And then his entire family is there and I’m asking him “I thought you were dead” and they all get mad at me for bringing up that he’s been hiding and lying to me and his two young kids. So then I ask why they weren’t allowed to come and if he’s missed them-again his family jumps down my throat and tells me he needs counseling before he can “deal” with any kids.

September 9, 2019 at 1:55 pm

This dream is a reflection of your emotional relationship with your late husband. His suicide was likely traumatic for you and may have influenced your thoughts and dreams. It seems that the negative interactions that you had with people in your dream could be indications of concerns or worries that you have in your life. If there is someone in your life that you need to speak with, then do so. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Kylee!

Erika Bryant

September 7, 2019 at 8:18 am

I dreamed of a man I’ve known all my life who passed in 2016 was actually not dead. Apparently we were together and he proclaimed his love for me. His WIFE was dying and was aware and gave her blessing. Everyone in the dream was aware and was happy for us. This man was 17 years my senior. There was never anything between us but family friends when he was alive. I loved and still love his precious family.

September 8, 2019 at 10:05 pm

This dream is a manifestation of your emotional and social relationship with your late friend. You care for his family, which likely was why his wife blessed your partnership during your dream. If his wife is alive, then you may find benefit in nourishing your relationship with her by spending additional time with her in person. This will also help to honor the memory of your late friend. Have a great day, Erika!

Maka

September 7, 2019 at 2:59 am

I just woke up from a dream where I dreamt of my granny who passed away in March..
    I was standing on the hill near my house, and at first I didn’t notice her, until after she said “Maka, but why aren’t you coming?”. And she looked so worn out, tired, like how she looked before she passed away. I quickly picked her up and wanted to take her to our home because it was closer, but she wanted to go to her’s. She wanted me to take some water and wash her face a bit to freshen her up. I asked a friend for it, and while she was getting it we slowly started going down the hill, and then my younger brother came, and they were talking and two boys were holding her. She was so weak and small. Then the friend brought orange juice instead of water and when I wanted to let her drink, she asked me to pick her up and I put her on my shoulder, and she said “i cannot breathe like this”, and then I turned her, and that’s all remember.. I’m very sad, this is the first time after awhile that I dreamt of her.. I don’t know what to think of it..

September 8, 2019 at 8:15 pm

This dream is a reflection of your emotional relationship with your late grandmother. Her tired appearance may be a manifestation of your experiences with your grandmother during the end of her life. It is clear that you care for your grandmother, and it is possible that many of aspects of these dreams are indications of your feelings toward her. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will honor the memory of your grandmother. Have a great day, Maka!

Mary

September 7, 2019 at 1:33 am

I had a dream of my father last night who died last 2 years ago, I rarely see him in my dreams. All i remember is that, he is very lively in my dreams packing his luggage full of yellow clothes, and i just ask him if he needs help, he said no. The rest happened is so unclear to me. He is saying some advice but i’m trying to figure out what is it all about..

September 8, 2019 at 10:58 am

Your dream is a reflection of your emotional relationship with your late father. The luggage and clothes may be an indication of your thoughts of travel. It seems that part of this dream was lost, which could be a sign that you are uncertain about the future. Introspection will help you understand the purpose of this dream. You will honor the memory of your father by sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Mary!

Natalia Ehlers

September 7, 2019 at 12:05 am

Hey…
    I had a friend that past away almost 6 years ago… He was a special friend. I always thought in the back of my mind that he is my soul mate. I never spoke to him about that because we were so young and we have to live our lives until we are a bid older and he more mature. He always handled me with love and other people always thought we were in a relationship but we were not. So after he past it took me almost 2 years to get over the fact that he is gone and each year it started to get more easier. From last year I got dreams from him it started casual like appearances. Months went by and then again but this time he comfort me and tell me everything is going to be okey and that he always loved me and always will. That was the last dream I had from him until yesterday. Yesterday I dreamt he was there an we were a couple but the happiest one ever, we laughed and danced and just enjoy our self. I woke up this morning and I am full of questions… Why did I dreamt of him now? I did not thought of him for months. I am in a happy place now so I do not need comfort. This all seams mabe crazy but I realy need answers? I realy thought that he said “goodbye” to me in the dream that he said he love me. What does this all mean? Is he communicating with me or is it my brain that is tells me things and this all is nothing?

September 8, 2019 at 10:56 am

Your dream is a manifestation of your emotional relationship with this person that you felt may have been your soulmate. It is clear that he was a positive person who cared for the people in his life. When you dream of him, it seems that the two of you share happy experiences, which is certainly a reflection of your feelings for him. Ensure that these dreams guide you to share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will honor the memory of your friend. Have a great day, Natalia!