What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone Who Is Already Dead?

By on March 8, 2018

Dreams can have many different meanings to different people, each dream interpreted slightly differently from the way before, dictated by the setting, scenario, or events that happen during the course of it. Dreams are believed to be the mind’s way of communicating with you — telling you things or reminding you of certain places/people/situations that you might not have otherwise remembered.

What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone Who Is Already Dead?

A very common dream to have is one where a dead friend, relative, or associate pops up. Dreaming of someone who is already dead could, of course, just be a sign that you were thinking of or missing that person. It is very common to dream of someone who has recently passed away, and although this might be of some comfort to you, it might strike the question:

What does it mean when you dream about someone who is already dead?

As well as being a very obvious sign that you miss the person who has died and commonly occurring in the time period immediately following the passing, dreaming of that person is also thought to be a message, of sorts, from beyond the grave. For many years there have been links and theories that the dream world and spirit world could be connected, and if this were to be true, dreaming could be a way for that spirit — the spirit of the dead person — to communicate with you. If it seems that you are being told a message, perhaps to go ahead with someone or even to be wary or cautious of a new adventure you are embarking on, it might just be time to sit back and listen.

Are you rushing into things?

Are you making a poor choice?

Have you thought about it logically and rationally?

In Pagan times, it was traditionally believed that a deceased person communicating advice in a dream was to be listened to and obeyed immediately, any disobedience met by anger from the Gods and the encouragement of bad luck and omens.

Some dream experts believe that dreams of passed relatives in the run-up to a wedding could be interpreted as advice against the coupling.

Dreaming of deceased parents, especially when they are, once again, giving you a warning or advice is thought to be a subconscious sign that trouble is on the horizon and that you should make sure you’re planning for all eventualities, both bad as well as good.

Dreaming of the newly deceased could also be the way that your subconscious tells you that you’re not quite finished with the grieving process. Grief and mourning following the death of a loved one is a process, and it can often be a very lengthy one, particularly if the death was seemingly out-of-the-blue or a shock. In grief-ridden dreams, it is typical to have the same or similar dreams repeatedly, over the course of a few weeks or months. It is also quite common to experience a conflict of some sort, in the dream. This could be seen as a metaphor for how you’re not dealing with your own emotions during the difficult time of your life. Maybe you need to stop bottling your emotions up and actually deal with what you’re feeling. This is very much the case if you are spiralling downwards, feeling lonely, or don’t think you have anywhere to turn. There is always someone that can and will help, and you shouldn’t be afraid to speak out and say that you need comfort or affection.

What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone Who Is Already Dead?2

Finally, there is another dream interpretation that you should bear in mind when looking into the meanings of dreaming about deceased loved ones; it could be a sign that all is at peace, particularly if the dream itself was a pleasant, comforting, or soothing one. Many people worry about what happens to the ‘being’ or ‘soul’ of a person when that person passes on, and a comforting or soothing dalliance in the dream is meant to be a sign that everything is okay and as it should be.

There are often so many different dream interpretations for just one dream-topic alone, which can make it tough to understand what the dream is actually meant to mean or depict. Only you can appreciate the importance of that dream to you, and we hope that you also manage to find comfort following the passing of a loved one.

Jennifer McNamara

September 5, 2019 at 8:00 pm

I’ve been having dreams of my granny that passed away in March.. I can’t remember much about the dreams but I had one last night where 2 people that live near me died and my granny was just standing outside with my mom telling me it was the people across the road.. I’m not sure what it means and I often wake up sad because I really just want to talk to her one more time.. I don’t know if she’s trying to reach out to me or trying to comfort me in some way because of my struggles with my mental health and other things going on at the moment. Because sometimes dreams are weird vivid and dark.. other times it’s laughter with tea and love.. it’s very confusing and has left me not wanting to sleep in case they go bad 💔

September 6, 2019 at 9:09 pm

These dreams are manifestations of your emotional relationship with your late grandmother. It is certainly possible that your need for comfort caused this dream to manifest. It is possible that something in your life caused this dream to appear. There may be a message within this dream for you to understand, and introspection will help guide you. Share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life, as this will honor the memory of your grandmother. Have a great day, Jennifer!

Ellen

September 4, 2019 at 9:31 pm

Hi,
    I just awake after dreaming that I was in my dead Grandmother’s house with my daughter (she never met her and is four). Nan was in her chair and looked great but was dying I think. She awoke again and I gave her the couch to lay on and my daughter slept upstairs in her bed instead. I went upstairs to check on my daughter and then to use the toilet and Nan came upstairs. It ended with me calling my Nan and telling her I was having a wee… 💁🏼‍♀️😂

September 5, 2019 at 9:01 pm

The presence of your late grandmother and your daughter are indications of your emotional relationships with your family members. They have not met each other, but you are aware of their relationship with each other. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will honor the memory of your grandmother. Nourish your relationship with your daughter by spending additional time together in person. Have a great day, Ellen!

Lisa Gray Rosario

September 4, 2019 at 7:34 am

I keep dreaming of my kids father who hurt me real bad when he was alive . in the dream he does not want to be with me and I feel the pain of a broken heart.

September 5, 2019 at 7:08 pm

Your dreams are manifestations of your emotional relationship with your previous partner. He was abusive, so it is clear that these dreams are reflections of those experiences. Allow the negative aspects of this dream to fade. You will draw positive people and energy into your life by sharing your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Lisa!

Tasha Zirkle

September 4, 2019 at 6:49 am

Had a dream of my child’s dad trying 2 talk 2 me at some event.he looked really worried and scared he grabbed my arm it felt so real it jolted me awake. My daughter had a similar dream .what could this mean plz help he passed almost 2 weeks ago

September 5, 2019 at 7:06 pm

Your dream and the dream of your daughter are indications of your shared emotional relationships with your daughter’s father. His recent death has likely caused you to have certain feelings and dreams. The jolt may be an indication of the connection that you shared with him. Your daughter and you will honor the memory of her father by sharing your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Tasha!

Kate Smith

September 4, 2019 at 5:05 am

One of my closest friends died in May in an auto crash her name was Cherie.

I was at the barn (a normal place to see her) and I she was walking quickly towards the south end of the Barn I was walking next to her. I told her I finally got my Kestrel (a bird of pray. Something we were both wanted to get into before she died) Cherie stopped and said “how cool!” She went on walking and started to talk about this new group of dancers she was working with (she was a photographer in real life. Working with always meant photographing) She told me they were professionals and used smoke and sounded real excited about it. Cherie continued down the back hill to the horse gate. There were a few people already out there. I could only see the backs of their heads. I assumed in the dream they were people she was going to photograph. We got to the gate of the horse pasture and she quickly opened it and walked through. I was a couple steps behind her by now and quickly grabbed the gate trying to close it. She walked west for about ten paces then back east about the same as if she was looking for something. I knew this was a dream by this point and I was well aware I was having a conversation with my dead friend. I was unable to close the gate so I continued to fumble with the latch on the gate refusing to look away. I knew at this point she would be gone if I lost sight of her. I was afraid to tell her what I was thinking which was that I knew she was dead and that’s why I couldn’t look away. So instead I said loudly “You know why I don’t want to stop looking at you right?” Cherie stops walking smiles and looks back at me directly in the eyes and says. “I know, hunny.”

I suddenly woke up.
    What made this dream so strange was I knew I was in a dream while I was dreaming. I even had the control to think about my responses before I said them. It also didn’t jump around like my normal dreams do. It was very clear and in interrupted.

September 4, 2019 at 11:29 pm

You were aware of this dream while you were experiencing it, which is an indication of a lucid dream state. This dream is a manifestation of your strong emotional relationship with your late friend. Throughout your dream, the two of you shared many experiences that you knew that you wanted. You were aware that if you lost sight of her that she would leave, so you wanted to maintain this close connection. Her response within the dream is a sign that she was aware during this experience. You may have similar dreams in the future. For now, honor the memory of your friend by sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Kate!

Crosley

September 2, 2019 at 10:28 am

I had a dream of my late relative, he was my sister’s Brother in law. In the dream he was with another family which is not the same persons with his own family in real life. We met at a crowded place and he offered me to join his family for a train ride from a new house (in the dream the house was given by my sister to me) to some town area that i am not familiar with then when we reached the destination he said to take care and i went looking for my wife. When i was with my wife we couldn’t find where we parked the car and while looking for the car a friend (still living) called said his wife couldn’t wake up and during that call i saw my wife’s brother and uncles who are still around in real life…after that my wife suggested we moved in to the new house my sister gave us but we couldn’t find the location of the house because it was a huge condominium complex with a shopping mall attached to it and the key card to the house broke. After that i woke up at 1:22am. All in that dream my daughter was with me.

September 2, 2019 at 9:43 pm

Your dream is a manifestation of your social and emotional relationship with your sister’s late brother in law. The various family members who appeared in your dream could be indications of your knowledge of their relationship with him as well. Something in your life may have reminded you of him. You will honor the memory of your sister’s brother in law by sharing your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Crosley!

Anonymous

September 3, 2019 at 3:23 am

I dreamed of hanging out with my dead uncle and his son I was very scared and I already had anxiety of this

September 4, 2019 at 10:41 pm

This dream seems to be related to your emotional relationship with your late uncle and your cousin. Your anxiety is either due to a strained or stressful relationship, or your thoughts about meeting with someone who has passed. Allow the negative aspects of this dream to fade. You will draw positive people and energy into your life by sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Anon!

Monae

September 2, 2019 at 5:13 am

I had a dream about my deceased uncle who passed a few months ago. He was walking around as if he didn’t know he was dead and nobody could see him but me. He sat on the couch with me as I was holding a newborn presumed to be mine and he was talking to me but I can’t remember the words. What could this dream mean?

September 2, 2019 at 9:17 pm

This dream is a reflection of your emotional relationship with your late uncle. The newborn could be an indications of your thoughts regarding birth and life. The discussion that you were unable to hear could be a sign of your desire to speak with your uncle. Share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Monae!

M

September 2, 2019 at 4:32 am

My mother passed away 22 years ago. I heard that someone is telling me that she was sick and just passed away. This dream happened twice. Please, let me know?
    Thank you.

September 2, 2019 at 9:14 pm

Your dream is a manifestation of your emotional relationship with your late mother. The illness in the dream is a sign of your knowledge of the end of her life. It is possible that the repetitive dreams are indications that something in your life is reminding you of your mother. You will honor the memory of your mother by sharing your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, M!

Jessica Veal

September 2, 2019 at 3:34 am

My cousin who I was extremely close to died in 2014 of cancer then in 2016 her sister died in a horrible car accident. I keep having recurring dreams ( sometimes nightly) of them either separately or together. The dreams are usually in a church setting or a home setting.

September 2, 2019 at 9:11 pm

These dreams are manifestations of your emotional relationships with your cousins. Their deaths have likely influenced your thoughts and actions. These new dreams may be indications of the strength of your relationships. You will honor the memories of your cousins by sharing your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Jessica!

angeita kirk

September 1, 2019 at 11:29 am

ive been dreaming everyday about my family ralatives like my mom.dad 2sisters.,god mother x sister n law n classmate everyday in diff peraon as i mentioned above. I dnt know why. but thay all just came n see me and some guide me in the right way coz i was lost that night n my dream..just crurious and worried why coz it is 7 days in a row till last night. hopefully not tonight. pls let me know n tnx the meaning

September 1, 2019 at 11:18 pm

These repetitive dreams of your family members may be an indication of your emotional relationships and those influences in your life. There may be something in your life that you need to address, and it is possible that your family members may have advice to give you. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, Angeita!

Jedi

August 31, 2019 at 11:06 pm

My grandmother died last year, today I drempt with her. My alive mom, me and my grandmother seating peacefully in a chair ….my grandmother gave me and my mother beautiful sweater each, I was about to wear mine when I woke up.

September 1, 2019 at 10:44 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your emotional relationship with your late grandmother. The appearance of your mother is a sign of your knowledge of their relationship with each other. The sweaters may have been indications of her behaviors and actions during her life. You will honor the memory of your grandmother by sharing your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Jedi!

Kathryn Brockington

August 30, 2019 at 6:23 pm

I dreamed I was in the middle of a lake or ocean in a little raft with my mother and her friend. I was completely surrounded by water. I someone how next arrived on a dock where the funeral of a someone who is already. I use to be decreased that I use to be romantically involved with. The dock large and set up nicely for the funeral service. I sat in the middle of the rather large congregation of people. Those around me talked and engaged with each other. I just watch the casket from my seat. The water kept drawing my attention as well.

The following night I dreamed o went to visit a family member and when I got to the house my deceased uncle was there with his new girls friend who was a friend of mine. He was cheerful and happy. He talked to us about the current gossip and we sat around and laughed.

September 1, 2019 at 9:07 pm

The funeral in your first dream and the appearance of your late uncle in your second dreams are manifestations of the emotional relationships that you once had in your life. Water is often an indication of spiritual beliefs. Both dreams have aspects of social gatherings, which could be a sign of how you navigate your relationships. You will honor the memories of the people in your life by sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Kathryn!

Mary

August 30, 2019 at 3:56 pm

I dreamed that I was bathing my dead brother ( he died in 2007) while he was standing on a table and he was trying to hide his private parts by bending. What could this possibly mean.

September 1, 2019 at 8:29 pm

This dream is a reflection of various influences in your life. Your emotional connection with your late brother certainly influenced him appearing within your dream. Bathing him could be a sign that you cared for him. Hid attempts to hide himself may be a sign of your thoughts regarding modesty. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will honor the memory of your brother. Have a great day, Mary!

Grainne

August 30, 2019 at 3:07 pm

My dream is of a close friends father who passed away recently. In the dreams i am always in his home and i am the only one who talks to him. In each dream i am always taken back at how young and healthy he looks, nearly like a glow off him

September 1, 2019 at 5:52 pm

Your dream is a manifestation of your emotional relationship with your friend’s late father. It is possible that your feelings toward him may have influenced your actions in your life. It is possible that you may feel that there was a conversation that you may wanted to have with this person from your past. You will honor the memory of your friend’s father by sharing your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Grainne!

Katelyn Rybak

August 30, 2019 at 8:32 am

I work as a CNA. A resident that I occasionally cared for and liked passed away yesterday. I had a dream that night of me taking care of her and she suddenly died. She collapsed and turned blue in my dream. But then woke up as a different person and laid down. I’m very confused about this

September 1, 2019 at 2:23 am

You cared for this person and she passed. This dream is a reflection of your relationship with her. Death is often a symbol for change. You are aware that a new patient will be in her room in the future. Ensure that this dream guides you in a positive direction. Honor her memory by sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Katelyn!

Alicia BeyerAl

August 30, 2019 at 2:31 am

I had a dream that I was talking to my mom but she was blurry and then my dad came and he was all clear he just recently passed away this June but for some reason it scared me I mean it wasn’t like a bad thing that he showed up in my dream but when I seen him I instantly woke up.

August 30, 2019 at 6:11 pm

Your dream is a manifestation of your emotional relationship with your mother and your late father. It is possible that something in your life reminded you of your late father. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times. This will help you honor the memory of your father. Have a great day, Alicia!

Me

August 29, 2019 at 8:38 pm

my husband passed away three years ago now… I was crying one night missing him… the dream I had of him was him showing me how beautiful the place he was at and I wanted to go with him… He wouldn’t let me and said I had our kids to look after and I remember in the dream he told me no it wasn’t my time yet. I woke up with tears running down my face. I would like to believe that was a real dream of him telling me he is at peace… but I don’t know if i believe it. It just seemed so real and i don’t remember 95% of my dreams.

August 30, 2019 at 4:50 pm

Your dream was a reflection of your emotional relationship with your late husband. You feel that this dream is a sign of him telling you that he is at peace. This is likely the purpose of this dream. You remember this dream, while you don’t remember most of your dream, which is a sign of the strength of your connection with your husband. Share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will honor the memory of your husband. Have a great day, Me!

Kelechi

August 29, 2019 at 12:14 am

For past two days,been dreaming of a dead persons but am not too close to the person but I just know him, I also dreamt where someone is saying a particular lady died,but in real life I haven’t heard the lady is dead and I don’t know her whereabout

August 30, 2019 at 3:22 pm

The people who have appeared in your dream are socially distant from you. Their presence within your dreams could be a sign of your knowledge of change. You may be interested in maintaining a relationship with someone from your past, or you may want to nourish a new relationship. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. This will honor those in your life who have passed, and it will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Kelechi!

Immaculate

August 28, 2019 at 10:07 pm

I once dreamt of my dead grandpa dying in my dream together with my alive uncle sometime back but today i dreamt that someone else I don’t know had died.

August 30, 2019 at 3:04 pm

This dream is a reflection of your emotional relationship with your late grandfather. The presence of your uncle may be an indication of your emotional relationship with him as well. The other person who passed may have appeared in your dream as a symbol for death, which is often a sign of change. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Immaculate!

Letty Smith

August 28, 2019 at 4:58 am

I Dreamed a couple days Ago about my mother who passed away in 2011, I seen her awake at home in her chair I came over to see her and when I was talking to her she wasn’t saying anything she just sat there. I then said I love you Mom and she didn’t respond, then I said Mommy I love you , I then said Mommy did you hear me I love you then I woke up.
    Then last night 8/27/19, I had another dream that my mom was in the hospital and she passed away, which she actually did in 2011, then I woke up.

August 28, 2019 at 6:02 pm

This dream is a reflection of your emotional relationship with your late mother. Her lack of response in your dream may be an indication of various interactions that you may have had together, or it could have been a sign of your inability to speak with her at this time. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. This will help you honor the memory of your mother. Have a great day, Letty!

Rae Smith

August 29, 2019 at 6:18 am

I had a dream that I was in love with this guy. In my dream though my family didn’t like him. I wanted to spend sometime alone with him, so I ask if he wanted to go to the movies. He looked really down. Well he heard everything my parents and family said about him. He took off I tried chasing after him but he was gone only foot prints in the snow. He didn’t return my calls or texts. The werid thing about this dream was that the guy I dreamed about I had not seen since middle school and he died ten or eleven years ago.

August 30, 2019 at 4:00 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your social and emotional desires. The person who appeared in your dream passed ten years ago and the two of you did not maintain a relationship. This may mean that he was a placeholder for someone else. The footprints in the snow and lack of communication may be manifestation of the knowledge of his passing. Make a decision about what you want for your future, and take appropriate action. Have a great day, Rae!

Norma Avellana

September 2, 2019 at 2:27 pm

My brother died unexpectedly four years ago. We were not particularly close and in my dream he goes by I recognize him and asked if it was ok for me to embrace holm. I did and told him how much I missed him. I was surprised and glad to see him.

September 2, 2019 at 9:53 pm

This dream is a reflection of your emotional relationship with your late brother. The two of you were not close, which seems to be the reason behind your interaction within the dream. It is possible that something reminded you of him, and that caused this dream to manifest. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. This will help you honor the memory of your brother. Have a great day, Norma!

Norma Avellana

September 3, 2019 at 2:28 pm

Thank you. I forgot to say that in my dream I asked my brother if it was ok to touch the dead. He didn’t answer but when I embraced him I could feel his body and a relief came over me when I told him I missed him since I never did when he was alive.

September 4, 2019 at 11:03 pm

When you embraced your brother within your dream, you felt relief. You then shared your thoughts and feelings with him, which is a sign that you are now at peace with his passing. If you communicated with him, then he is now aware of your emotional connection. You will honor the memory of your brother by sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Norma!