What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone Trying to Hurt You?

By on May 9, 2018

They say that dreams are your mind’s way of trying to tell you something — a message from the deep subconscious. Not everyone believes that, of course, but even those who believe dreams mean nothing at all, will still feel uncomfortable after waking from a bad one.

Dreams of Being Attacked

Being attacked can mean in both a physical or a mental way — either full-on altercations with someone or being attacked in a verbal form, via internet trolling, for example.

Both of these — physical altercations and cyber-bullying — can leave a person feeling victimised and as though the people around them are trying to attack them. If you are currently experiencing a similar situation in real life, your dreams could just be projected thoughts and fears — what you worry about happening in real life.

In many cases, when you dream of being attacked, it isn’t because you are physically or mentally being attacked by someone else, but more that there is an ‘attack’ or battle going on within yourself. You could be battling with a lack of control, for example, which is making you feel vulnerable and almost prey-like.

Being attacked in a dream could also mean that you are feeling defensive about something. Perhaps there is a little situation going on in your life that you feel like everyone else is trying to destroy, but you are trying to save and protect. One might feel this way when family or friends disapprove of a dating choice, or with other life decisions.

Who Started It?

When you take a look at the bigger picture, you may realise that it isn’t YOU being attacked, but rather someone else being defensive as a result of your attacking actions. If you started the attack, again, it doesn’t mean that you are going to physically attack someone, but more that you are self-sabotaging — giving everything up for the sake of a new relationship, perhaps? Self-sabotage can come in many forms, but if you feel conflicted about a situation, not knowing whether or not it is the right one for you, that could be the reason you are dreaming of being attacked.

How Are You Being Attacked?

The smaller components of a dream can often make up the bigger picture, so you will want to pay close attention to HOW you are being attacked in the dream, and not just by whom.

Dreaming about being stabbed, for example, can often mean that you are going through a tough situation — stressful times.

Dreaming about being stabbed in the back, on the other hand, can mean that you are stabbing yourself in the back — ignoring your own gut instinct or voice to do something that might not be a great choice for you.

What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone Trying to Hurt You? 1

Being chased in a dream can mean something else entirely from being stabbed. If someone is chasing you with the intention of attacking you (or that is what you believe), it could mean that you are running away from something you should be dealing with in a more head-on way. Maybe you are avoiding conflicts with friends because you just don’t want to ruin their relationship and tell them that their boyfriend is playing away?

Who is Attacking You?

Going back to the dreams of being stabbed, the person who is doing the hurtful action can portray a message. Being stabbed or attacked by a partner could mean that you feel betrayed by that person, although, it might not mean in quite the way you think. Yes, there is a chance that you feel insecure and suspect that your partner may be playing away, but there is also a bigger chance that your dream is trying to reflect a slightly different message. Maybe your partner is doing something that you don’t agree with, and you have decided to keep your mouth shut about it? Or you haven’t yet brought it up with him and are scared to?

Again, dreams are usually a reflection of what is going on in our own REAL lives. It’s not a mirror image and shouldn’t be taken as such (you are probably not going to get physically attacked just because you have been in a dream), but if you just so happen to get weird dreams around the same time that you have a personal crisis, you’ve found your answer.

Are you running away or avoiding something? It’s time to tackle it.

Evelin Diaz

July 26, 2019 at 3:45 pm

I had a dream where I had to rush my mom to the hospital but rather than driving we were walking instead. On the way we approached a dark street where men were following us until they corners us and I pulled out my mace and they weren’t scared instead they laughed at me. I prayed some as they appeared to get closer but it didn’t seem to work. If you can help me understand What does any of this mean?. I would really appreciate it.

July 26, 2019 at 11:11 pm

This dream was a reflection of various influences in your life. It is clear that you care for your mother, as you attempted to bring her to the hospital. Your lack of a vehicle could be a sign that your ability to travel has been hindered. You are aware that faith is beneficial, but you also know that it may not help in all situations. You will find great benefit in ensuring that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Evelin!

Kate

July 25, 2019 at 10:54 pm

I had a dream that my husband was slicing my face with a razor blade. He looked angry on occasion, but was mostly emotionless. I stood in front of him, in a bath tub, crying and asking him why, but I couldn’t move. I am not in abusive relationship I’m the slightest, so I don’t understand.

July 26, 2019 at 10:15 pm

You are aware that you are not in an abusive relationship. This means that the behaviors of your partner within your dream may be an indication of the shows that you watch. You will find great benefit in abstaining from consuming violent and dramatic media. This will reduce similar dreams from manifesting in the future. Have a great day, Kate!

Jacqueline Ramirez

July 25, 2019 at 12:23 pm

i had a dream that my aunt and my cousins were chasing me with knives and one of my cousins hurt me on my arm, but when i woke up i still felt that same pain on my arm

July 25, 2019 at 1:05 pm

Sometimes, your subconscious mind incorporates what happens in real life into your dream. For example, I have dreamed that my leg was hurt because, in real life, I accidentally kicked the wall in my sleep–unless you have someone sleeping in the same room with you, you might not realize how you hurt your arm in your waking life. There’s a good chance that your arm fell asleep because of your position or you knocked it against something while you slept, so you dreamed that it was hurt as well.

Roxanne

July 24, 2019 at 8:51 am

I had a dream i was with a girl who was being held captive with a baby. I think it was his baby i didnt know him and at one point the girl was an old friend, but it felt like it was kinda me at points who was escaping this man. He was very obviously a serial killer and we found clues he had videos of people someone left a message on the wall with his passcode to his ipod. We left out a window with the baby ran to the hospital ( i have never seen this hospital or area before ) then it turned into a police station but everyone was on his side, nobody helped us. at one point my boyfriend was helping us drive but this man had a bunch of friends ( they were all gathered in a bar we ran into )and they were after us and we kept runnning. I took her to her house big mistake they were waiting for us, we escaped again, and i said i have to bring her to my house i just kept trying to keep her safe but before i woke up i entered a dead end all his friends were there it was like i was in an alleyway in Europe it was so colorful and it was like i was in a cylinder…then i woke up

July 24, 2019 at 6:35 pm

Dreams of serial killers are indications of various concerns and worries that you may have in your life at this time. The behaviors of the people in your dream are indications of various behaviors and interactions that you may have experiences. Allow the negative aspects of this dream to fade. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Roxanne!

Marrie

July 27, 2019 at 1:30 am

Hi I had a dream that I was with my mom and my brother talking and my mom went to the bathroom or something cuz she stop being there so we went looking for her and she was sitting on table so scare never seen my mom that quiet and we immediately knew something was off and talk to a waiter to call the manager and she takes me to her office and shows me the security camera and we see a someone talking to my mom and then she stars printing photos of my friends and the she points my super close friend and tell me it was her and her boyfriend and even knew his car cuz he was waiting for her and she told me they plan everything I was so scared cuz I never in a million year would have suspect of them ever doing something like that and woke up so scared kind of scared for my mom and with such a weird feeling about my friend which is so close to me I tell her pretty much everything and trust a lot. Should I not? And be more carefull?

July 27, 2019 at 8:06 pm

This dream is not a manifestation of any qualities of the people in your life. The negative emotions that you felt within your dream are likely manifestations of concerns or worries that you may have in your life. However, if anyone in your life is behaving in an unacceptable manner, then it is possible that there is someone in your life that you may want to avoid. Have a great day, Marrie!

Jess

July 24, 2019 at 8:39 am

I keep having kinda the same nightmare but in a different light.
    One nightmare is when a friend that I recently got in contact with was texting me and starting a fight saying that I started talking to her best friend saying to stop being friends with her. (Which isn’t who I am) I kept trying to tell her that but she came over to my house telling me I did it.

The other dream the same person was trying to come to harm me because of the drama I was giving. When I didn’t want any drama to begin with.
    I woke up both time to me popping up out of bed.

July 24, 2019 at 6:00 pm

These dreams are reflections of social concerns that you may have in your life. This does not mean that you and your friend have a strained relationship. It is possible that other influences in your life are causing these dreams to appear. You will find great benefit in abstaining from consuming violent and dramatic media. Share your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life, as this will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, Jess!

Lily

July 20, 2019 at 4:26 am

Last night I dreamt someone was hurting my friend and got sent to jail, then turns out the person we thought it was, was the wrong person. And when I figured out who it actually was, tried to hurt me. He broke into my house and started chasing me trying to attack me. My husband was on his way out to work and saw what was going on and he tried protecting me, and calling the police but the in the end he got me and tried hurting me but didn’t because the police showed up and took him away.

July 21, 2019 at 3:45 pm

This dream could be a reflection of your concerns regarding your social relationships. You may be aware of someone in your life being harmed. It is possible this dream is a manifestation of your knowledge of recent shootings and other violent events. Ensure that this dream guides you to share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will bring you many benefit in the future. Have a great day, Lily!

Janette

July 18, 2019 at 8:52 pm

Last night I dreamt that I was visit a strange little cobblestone town. I was attending an event and decide to hop on a local but to get beck to my hotel or villa where me and my family were staying. On the bus I sat next to this stranger that I met briefly earlier in the day at a restaurant in real life. We began chatting and all of a sudden he kept trying to put his arms around me and make me feel uncomfortable. I pushed him off and asked him to stop. This made him angry and before I knew he had pushed me out of the wide windows of the bus. I fell out and was injured but more so confused and terrified. I didn’t know where I was and tried stopping a few strangers who drove by to ask for directions or a ride to my hotel, which was in a nearby town but not walking distance. Most of the passerbyers seemed disturbed and would slow down, swerve or just speed off. Finally one stopped and pointed me to a nearby villa indicating that someone might be able to help. Eventually I got to the villa that seemed quite empty and ran finally ran into a lady and a few other local people. I describe what had happened and that I was trying to get back to my family and one lady started sobbing saying the same thing had happened to her and cautioned for me to be careful. In mid conversation the guy who pushed me out of the bus window somehow had followed me and stated ted to approach us as if to finish the job. He seemed angry and approached faster and faster. I immediately stated running through the village in and out of random buildings and finally finding a closet that I managed to lock hide and lock myself in. The guy shouting searched everywhere and began busting down doors and rattling locked ones in attempt to get in. I held tightly and tried to remain as silent as possible. Finally he gave up and went looking elsewhere. I remained in the closet for sometime and later came out when I thought it was safe and could here a gang of local young people in the street below outside just hanging out. I immediately ran to them to ask for help and that’s when I woke up pretty disturbed. Usually I don’t remember the details of my dreams but this one I remember quite vividly. It bothers me that it was someone I met for the first time prior the day and I wonder what it could mean. Also I don’t usually have violent dreams such as this and rarely dream at all

July 19, 2019 at 2:26 pm

Dreams of being assaulted, chased, or attacked are indications of concerns or worries that you may have in your life. The inappropriate behavior of the person of your dream is a sign of your knowledge of the prevalence of sexual harassment in the world. If you notice someone being treated poorly, then make the decision to support them. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Janette!

Anonymous rose

July 17, 2019 at 11:46 pm

Last night, I had a dream that I was in a taxi. The driver was supposed to bring me somewhere, but he pulled over on the side of the road. I opened the door and ran, he chased me but then he stopped and I was able to flag down the police. The reason why I ran is because the taxi driver gave me a creepy look when he pulled over.

July 18, 2019 at 3:28 pm

Dreams of being chased or attacked are reflections of concerns or fears that you may have in your life. You will find benefit in abstaining from consuming violent and dramatic media. If there is a stress in your life, then avoid it if possible. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Anon!

amanda

July 16, 2019 at 5:54 am

im a girl and I had a dream that a man I knew of from High School punched me 8 times in the face and my close family friend just watched it happen and then later in the dream a woman that I did not recognize, broke into my house and tried to kill my family

July 16, 2019 at 3:13 pm

Your dream is filled with violence. This may be a reflection of various influences in your life. You will find great benefit in abstaining from consuming violent and dramatic media, as this will reduce similar dreams from appearing in your life. If there is someone in your life that makes you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, then avoid that person. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion at all times. Have a great day, Amanda!

Dark dreams

July 12, 2019 at 2:04 am

I’m having horrendous dreams that i am fighting for my life against a group of men and one woman with a knife it transpires between a flat and a finally a canalside
    Where upon I am beaten and raped repeatedly I wake up sweating and crying, almost in hysteria and then go back into the same dream.
    It lasts all night and it’s traumatising me, I go about my day, putting it down to a nightmare but have continuous flashbacks all day even going about my business. I can see faces, weapons, I even vividly recall pulling at one of my attackers gold chains in a bid to get them off me, even writing this is re-living it,
    Why so vicious?
    Why does it impact on my day?
    ( I can’t describe my attackers nationality for fear of racism reprisals) but I am a 35 year old western woman.

July 12, 2019 at 5:00 pm

These dreams are reflections of trauma that you have experienced or fears that you have nourished. If these thoughts are unrelated to your actual experiences, then it is certain that you will benefit in abstaining from consuming violent and dramatic media. The dreams may be related to an experience from your distant past. If you have similar dreams in the future, then address whoever is in your dream by speaking with them about their purpose. This will reduce the frequency of similar dreams from manifesting in the future. Ensure that you share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will bring many benefits to you in the future. Have a great day, Dark!

Rachelle

July 15, 2019 at 12:26 pm

I ah e very similar dreams constantly. Thank you for sharing.

Roca

July 9, 2019 at 5:01 pm

There was a guy which I used to like in my workplace. I thought that he liked me too until then I knew he liked someone else.It stressed me out for a while I even cried over it every night. It happened not so long ago. They are my workmates and also my friends. They have admitted they’re secretly dating. Since then, I can’t stop dreaming about the guy and the girl. One dream is about them having sex, the other dream is about they want to runaway then the latest dream about them is the guy gave several gifts to the girl and a letter which I tried to secretly sneaked out what it says. For now I don’t think I like him that much because I see him as my friend. And the “thing” between the two of them didn’t worked out well. But still I’m having these dreams and have the thought they’re hiding something to me and it still hurts me. Please help me what does these dreams interpret and how can I stop thinking about them. Thanks.

July 9, 2019 at 11:03 pm

Your dreams are reflections of your personal thoughts and feelings in regards to their relationship. Their behaviors in your dreams are not necessarily reflections of reality. If you are interested in maintaining a relationship with someone in your life, then speak with that person about your thoughts and feelings. You will find great benefit in sharing your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Roca!

Kandis

July 1, 2019 at 12:53 pm

I’ve had a reoccurring dream for about 8 years now that my mother and brother are trying kill or hurt my child and myself. When I first started having them they never reached me but recently they have been be catching me and beating me.

July 2, 2019 at 2:13 pm

Dreams of being chased or attacked are often manifestations of concerns or worries in your life. It is certainly possible that your family members are stressful to you. If you have similar dreams in the future, then address whoever is chasing you in the dream about their purpose. Nourish your relationship with your child by spending additional time together. Have a great day, Kandis!

Lee

June 30, 2019 at 8:57 pm

Keep having a dream where a end up attacked by garden pliers off my 2 sisters but always starts by my cousin being attacked so I’m trying to stop it but get attacked myself had the same dream 6 times in about 30 nights

July 2, 2019 at 1:26 pm

These dreams are reflections of a concern or worry that you may have in your life. The repetitive nature of these dreams may be an indication that this stress is something that you are constantly exposed to. Determine what in your life you can remove yourself from. Abstain from consuming violent and dramatic media, as this will reduce similar feelings from manifesting in the future. Have a great day, Lee!

Kelsie

June 28, 2019 at 9:28 pm

My husband had had these reoccurring dreams for a couple years now. Where in his dreams he is being attacked by either me or our children. (4 yrs old and 1 yrs old) he has also mentioned he has also had then about his mother and grandmother. Basically they all go the same way…
    Everything is “normal” when suddenly whoever he is dreaming about at the time, their face begins to morph into something vicious and demonic, and attacks him. I have had to wake him in these dreams multiple times because you can hear when it’s happening. A noise he never makes when awake…as if it sounds like a full loss of control with distress.

June 28, 2019 at 11:33 pm

Your husband’s dreams are reflections of concerns or worries that he may have in his life. It is possible that the presence of his loved ones in these dreams is an indication that he cares deeply for you, but is concerned about losing. He will find great benefit in sharing his kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into his life. The two of you should nourish your relationship by spending additional time with him in person. Have a great day, Kelsie!

Kat

June 28, 2019 at 9:31 am

In my dream last night, I saw a LinkedIn profile of an old friend from school (that was a guy) and my (extremely loving in real life) husband started beating me…? Held his foot on my back pushing me into a counter until it hurt and then knocked me to the floor and held me down while hitting me. Disturbing to say the least….

June 28, 2019 at 10:21 pm

Your dream is a reflection of a wide variety of influences in your life. You are aware that the behaviors of your partner in your dream are not based on his actions during your waking life. You will find great benefit in abstaining from consuming violent and dramatic media. Share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Kat!

violet

June 26, 2019 at 9:37 pm

I had a dream last night, I was attacked. I was assaulted by someone I don’t even know. He didn’t rape me or grope my private areas. But I was still assaulted, in a way he grabbed my waist, wrist and blocked me from being able to move on my own, and forced kissed me everywhere. I cried a lot, telling him to stop and asked for help, there were people there but nobody had the guts to help me. I was hospitalised after it happened due to physical and mental exhaustion. I woke up cold and scared. What could this mean?

June 27, 2019 at 5:20 pm

Your dream is a reflection of your knowledge of rape and sexual assault. You will find benefit in abstaining from consuming violent and dramatic media. If possible, behave in a manner which removed sexual predators from power, and support those who have been assaulted. Share your kindness and compassion at all times, as this will draw positive people and energy into your life. Have a great day, Violet!

Houda

June 25, 2019 at 2:00 am

A few weeks ago I dreamed about finally living on my own but after a few happy moments suddenly a man (customer from work) starts chasing me and he was trying to get me into his van to probably sexually harass me. All of a sudden a male neighbour who was moving out hears me screaming and the customer runs away. In the dream I was filled with rage and started chasing the customer while my neighbour would run after me to stop me. In the end I couldn’t keep up with the customer and my neighbour grabbed me by my arm and told me to stop chasing the customer and report it to police because by chasing after him i could potentially hurt myself. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN??

June 26, 2019 at 10:13 am

Your dream is a reflection of your awareness of sexually harassers and sexual offenders. You are aware that there are many people in the world, including the most influential leaders on the planet, that have committed these crimes. Ensure that this dream guides you to to support those in need of help. Behave in a manner which will benefit the world by sharing your kindness and compassion with everyone in your life. Have a great day, Houda!

Goretti Romero

June 24, 2019 at 7:54 am

I had a dream that I was with my girlfriend and my mom shows up and gets angry because she doesn’t know I have a girlfriend (I’m female and she’s homophobic). Anyways she begins to hurt me – at one point she grabs me from my neck, looking away from her. I knew very well if I tried I could have escaped from her grasp in the beginning but I didn’t want to make a scene so she begins to cut the side of my face at this point there was no fight in me because her grasp was too tight I’m not sure if it was my ear or cheek that she cut, but blood was coming out. My girlfriend, who was seeing everything, got scared and pushed my mom off me. And my mom began charging for her, but before she was able to hurt my girlfriend any more i pushed my mom off her and pinned her to the wall and then I woke up. Idk what it means

June 24, 2019 at 4:09 pm

You are aware of your mother’s personal issues regarding what others do with their life. The negative interaction between you and her within your dream is a manifestation of your knowledge of this stress and how it influences your relationship with your partner. Inform your mother of your relationship, and nourish your relationship with your partner by spending additional time together. Have a great day, Goretti!

John

June 23, 2019 at 6:20 am

These past days ive been getting dreams about getting stabbed what can that mean??

June 23, 2019 at 12:14 pm

Being stabbed in a dream can represent a betrayal from someone you trust. It may also indicate that you feel like someone you are close to or around frequently in your day-to-day life may not have your best interests at heart.

Ariel

June 22, 2019 at 12:53 am

I has dream about being attacked. In the dream, I was sitting on the floor in my living room, and my mother was there, but she had brought over the kitchen knife set and was looking at them. Instead of kitchen shears, there were two meat cleavers, and I said “why did you bring these over”? This isn’t appropriate. And then something about “if I’d gone through the knives like that, I’d have been chewed out because it’s inappropriate”. Then suddenly my mum has me by the throat, the knives are gone (idk where just didn’t see them in the dream anymore) and she had a rather pissed off expression on her face, but I seemed to recognize it as something she can’t fully help (she has Alzheimer’s if that helps any context-wise).
    I’m trying to get her to stop, and trying to yell for help, but my mouth doesn’t seem to work, and mum says something about taking my estrogen and then something grabs my side roughly then I gradually wake up.

I’m not on any estrogen nor have I talked about it with my doctor or mum about. I was given a kitchen knife set, but no meat cleavers.

June 23, 2019 at 11:49 am

There may be something that your subconscious mind feels is wrong between you and your mom. Perhaps you feel like your mother does not approve of some of the choices that you have made in life. It is also possible that you are just worried about your mom and general. Whatever the case, the dream only reflects the subconscious thoughts and fears that are going on in your mind, so I would not read too much into it. Thanks for commenting, Ariel!

Marj

July 4, 2019 at 3:20 am

Dream of someone attack me and trying to snatch my eyes. What does it mean?

July 4, 2019 at 10:11 pm

Dreams of being attacked are indications of concerns or worries that you may have in your life. The eye aspect of the dream may be an indication of your strong connection with your eyes. You may have seen something that caused this dream to manifest. You will find great benefit in abstaining from consuming violent and dramatic media. This will reduce similar dreams from occurring. Sharing your kindness and compassion at all times will bring you many benefits in the future. Have a great day, Marj!

Lily

July 20, 2019 at 4:24 am

July 21, 2019 at 3:38 pm

Marj

July 4, 2019 at 3:19 am

Dream of someone attack me and trying to snatch my eyes. What does it mean?

July 4, 2019 at 10:10 pm