Taking a Break in a Relationship
Relationships aren’t always flowers and daises. In fact, sometimes they can be the sole root of our stress and sadness- and that’s exactly what you want to AVOID from a relationship. If you feel like your relationship might be headed down south, then you might actually need to take a break from the relationship altogether. Find out what some of the signs are that show you need a break from the relationship and why this break might be the best decision of your life.
Signs You Need to Take a Break From the Relationship
There’s a few key signs you need to look out for when you’re in a relationship. They include the following:
- Arguing: Sure, every couple has an argument here and there. But if you notice that the majority of your conversations lead to stress and arguments, it might be time to put the relationship on hold- especially if these arguments are happening once, twice, or even three times a day.
- Boredom: You love the person you’re with, and you’ve definitely enjoyed your time with them, right? But that doesn’t mean there won’t come a time in the relationship where you find yourself bored, not even wanting to spend time with your significant other because you simply would rather do something more fun. If this sounds like your predicament, it’s definitely time to take a break.
- Overwhelmed: Sometimes it doesn’t really have anything to do with the person you are in a relationship with- sometimes you can just be overwhelmed with life, which makes your relationship seem stressful. If you find yourself trying to juggle a full time job, part time work, an emergency in the family, and a relationship all at once, you might need to put one thing on hold- your relationship- until everything else falls into place.
- Claustrophobic: Do you feel like your significant other is “smothering” you? Calling you, texting you, “pestering” you, when you just want some alone time? We’ve all been there, and if this sounds anything like your situation, the only option is to take a break before you explode!
Benefits of Taking a Break From a Relationship
That’s right. There ARE benefits of taking a break from your significant other. And it’s always important to remember that taking a break doesn’t mean you’re “breaking up”, it simply means you need some time apart. The benefits include the following:
- Stronger Love: You might be thinking to yourself: “What?! That’s impossible”. But you know what they say: “Absence makes the heart grow fonder”- and that couldn’t be truer. Sometimes when you have time to yourself you can reminisce on the love you and your partner shared, and sometimes this will lead to an even greater love you didn’t imagine possible.
- Fulfillment: Sometimes when you’ve been in a long relationship, you can start to feel like you’re missing a part of yourself. You’ve given yourself completely to your partner, but you’ve lost yourself in the process. That’s why sometimes taking a break is the best option: you can go do the things you’ve always wanted to do- alone- and you can feel a sense of fulfillment in your life. Then, when all is said is done, you can return to your partner and feel more secure about the relationship.
- Happiness: If you had been feeling smothered or overwhelmed, and you’ve decided to take a break, you will automatically feel a sense of happiness. You won’t have the added stress of a relationship for the time being, and you have a chance to get everything done on your own time. Once you’ve completed everything you need to do (whether it’s a job, school, or taking care of a loved one), you can return to the relationship feeling revived and refreshed- ready to take on the world with your partner.
- Motivation: Spending time away from your partner may ignite the passion again, and you will come back to the relationship feeling stronger and more motivated to make things work out. This motivation will lead to a serious revival- nothing will be able to stand in your way!
Why Taking a Break Might Be a Bad Thing:
For some, taking a break in the relationship doesn’t lead to a magical re-kindeling. In fact, sometimes just the opposite happens. Here are some of the reasons why taking a break might be a bad thing:
- You might realize that you and your partner were never meant to be, which will obviously lead to a breakup.
- The absence may make the two of you become further and further apart, which leads to inevitable breakup.
- This might be one of many “breaks” in the relationship. And like anything, if you “crack” it too often, it will eventually break. So be careful with taking a break. Treat it as if it were a precious jewel. You don’t want to break it very often, or it will eventually crumble- just like a relationship.
Better Alternatives to Taking a Break:
It’s true, sometimes taking a break is the only answer to a downhill-spiraling relationship. But before you decide to dive in to your alone time, here’s some other alternatives to consider that may help the relationship:
- Communication: I can’t tell you how unbelievably important communication is. If you’re feeling down about something in the relationship, talk about with your partner. Talk, talk, talk. Get all of your feelings out and try on work on the problem using your words.
- Get Away: Sometimes all you really need is to get away from the hustle and bustle of life with your lover. Try and plan a mini vacation where the two of you can lay back, relaxed, and just enjoy each other.
- Use the Past: Remember your first date? You know, the one where he took you to the park and you guys had a wonderful picnic? Sometimes using the past to rekindle romance is an excellent option. Maybe the two of you could return to the same spot and enjoy a romantic picnic in an effort to reignite the passion.
- 40 Good And Cute Questions To Ask A Guy You Like
When getting to know the guy you are interested it,...
- Posted September 20, 2013
- 50 I Miss You Messages for Him
When he is away, it seems like the world is...
- Posted April 23, 2017
- 7 Vegan Meal Replacement Powders That Taste Great
More and more people are trying to drift away from...
- What does it mean when a guy calls you baby girl?
Ladies, let’s face it: there are a lot of adorable...
- 10 Signs a Guy Likes You but Is Too Scared to Tell You
You have this guy in your life, but you can’t...
- The 50 Best Disney Movies of the 21st Century (2000-2017)
If you grew up with movies, chances are you watched...
- How to Curl Thick Hair
Thick hair is a blessing- and a curse, sometimes. While...
- Posted April 16, 2017
- 120 Sweet, Romantic Words For Your Love
They say action speaks louder than words, but there are...
- Posted April 14, 2017