50 Quotes About Being in Love
One of the best parts of any relationship is the first few weeks. During that time period, you are still nervous around your crush. Each moment spent together seems infinitely important and you can talk with him for hours on end. If this is what your relationship currently feels like, the chances are high that you are in love. For quotes about being in love, check out the following saying. Each saying includes its source and a brief description about why it encapsulates the experience of being in love.
1. “What I need to live has been given to me by the earth. Why I need to live has been given to me by you.” -Author Unknown
If you are feeling particularly creative, you could try gathering all of these sayings together to write out a beautiful love letter for your boyfriend. Extra points for calligraphy!
2. “You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how.” -Margaret Mitchell, Gone With the Wind
One of the most popular love quotes ever remains with us because it is adorable and seductive at once.
3. “You know what I am going to say. I love you. What other men may mean when they use that expression, I cannot tell; what I mean is, that I am under the influence of some tremendous attraction which I have resisted in vain, and which overmasters me.” -Charles Dickens, Our Mutual Friends
Obviously, you may have to modify these quotes slightly if you happen to be a woman sending them to your boyfriend.
4. “I want to do with you what spring does with the cherry trees.” -Pablo Neruda
I am not entirely sure what he means, but it sounds R rated. Bring on the cherry trees!
5. “You have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on.” -Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
This is one of the best ways to describe the feeling of being in love.
6. “In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.” -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
Another love quote from Jane Austen, this saying illuminates how hard it is to fight against falling in love.
7. “I have waited for this opportunity for more than half a century, to repeat to you once again my vow of eternal fidelity and everlasting love.” -Gabriel García Márquez, Love in the Time of Cholera
It may not work perfectly for a current relationship, but this quote is ideally suited for long term relationships.
8. “As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.” -John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
This quote about being in love perfectly describes the sensation. Love is like a tidal wave that suddenly crashes on the beach and draws you into it.
9. “Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind/And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” -William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night’s Dream
Love is illogical and follows no rules. If you are in love illogically, this is the quote to use.
10. “Each time you happen to me all over again.” -Edith Wharton, The Age of Innocence
What would it be like to just fall over and over and over in love with your partner?
11. “I think you still love me, but we can’t escape the fact that I’m not enough for you. I knew this was going to happen. So I’m not blaming you for falling in love with another woman. I’m not angry, either. I should be, but I’m not. I just feel pain. A lot of pain. I thought I could imagine how much this would hurt, but I was wrong.” -Haruki Murakami, South of the Border, West of the Sun
If you are just falling in love with someone, the worst thing that you can learn is about another woman. Being in love is an amazing feeling, but a betrayal can crush those marvelous sentiments in an instant.
12. “To love or have loved, that is enough. Ask nothing further. There is no other pearl to be found in the dark folds of life.” -Victor Hugo, Les Misérables
Only some people will become rich and famous in life, but everyone has the chance to fall in love. Being in love is one of the best experiences and the bright part of any lifetime.
13. “I’ve never had a moment’s doubt. I love you. I believe in you completely. You are my dearest one. My reason for life.” -Ian McEwan, Atonement
For a simple quote about being in love, try using this message.
14. “Every atom of your flesh is as dear to me as my own: in pain and sickness it would still be dear.” -Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre
For fans of the Bronte sisters, this is one of the better quotes about love.
15. “One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving.” -Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Is there ever a reason for love?
16. “Love is much like a wild rose, beautiful and calm, but willing to draw blood in its defense.” -Mark Overby
This is a perfect allegory for some of the dangers of being in love. Extremely picturesque, the quote has almost a poetic quality to it.
17. “I’m so in love, every time I look at you my soul gets dizzy.” -Jaesse Tyler
It may not be poetic, but this quote perfectly expresses the sentiment of being in love.
18. “By my soul, I can neither eat, drink, nor sleep; nor, what’s still worse, love any woman in the world but her. “ -Samuel Richardson, Clarissa, Or The History Of A Young Lady
You may need to modify this to suit your gender, but it is a perfect descriptor of falling in love. In that instant, eating or sleeping can seem impossible.
19. “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you.” -A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh
What better way to show your love than with a quote from Winnie the Pooh?
20. “Sometimes it’s a form of love just to talk to somebody that you have nothing in common with and still be fascinated by their presence.” -David Byrne
On occasion, people fall in love with someone that has nothing in common with them. It doesn’t mean that the relationship will end or that there will be issues. This quote is a reminder of that fact.
21. “It doesn’t matter who you are or what you look like, so long as somebody loves you.” -Roald Dahl, The Witches
Love is what gives meaning to our lives.
22. “Love is a game that two can play and both win.” -Eva Gabor
That sounds like the best type of game!
23. “We’re all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness — and call it love — true love.” -Robert Fulghum, True Love
When we find someone who is equally weird, we stay with them. It might not be a poetic quote, but it sounds accurate.
24. “A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved.” -Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan
With so much dreariness in the world, everyone could use a little more love.
25. “I would die for you. But I won’t live for you.” -Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower
If you are in a difficult relationship or have a partner with depression, this is a fairly good quote for your situation.
26. “The heart has its reasons that reason knows nothing of.” -Blaise Pascal,Pensées, 1670
Unbelievably accurate, this quote perfectly describes the illogicality of falling in love with someone.
27. “Are we not like two volumes of one book?” -Marceline Desbordes-Valmore
If you happen to be a book lover, this could be the perfect love quote for you.
28. “My wish is that you may be loved to the point of madness.” -André Breton, What is Surrealism?
If only we could all be loved like that.
29. “For you see, each day I love you more today more than yesterday and less than tomorrow.” -Rosemonde Gerard
Cute and concise, this is short enough to send in a text message or to write on a post-it note.
30. “‘Tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.” -Alfred Lord Tennyson
It may be difficult to deal with a breakup, but it doesn’t negate the value of having loved.
31. “Without love, what are we worth? Eighty-nine cents! Eighty-nine cents worth of chemicals walking around lonely.” -M*A*S*H, Hawkeye
If you boil down the cost of all the carbon, hydrogen and other atoms in our body, we aren’t worth very much. It is only through love that we gain an infinite value.
32. “The highest function of love is that it makes the loved one a unique and irreplaceable being.” -Tom Robbins, Jitterbug Perfume
You may seem like the average person to the world, but the person that you love believes you are completely irreplaceable.
33. “It was love at first sight, at last sight, at ever and ever sight.” -Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita
Beautiful and expressive, this is one of the best love quoets on the list.
34. “Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity.” -Henry Van Dyke
Poetically expressed, this quote is perfect if you have the time to write out something a little longer for your boyfriend.
35. “Nobody has ever measured, even poets, how much a heart can hold.” -Zelda Fitzgerald
Another poetically written message, this quote by Zelda Fitzgerald is interesting to contemplate in light of her stormy relationship with her husband.
36. “Love is the magician that pulls man out of his own hat.” -Ben Hecht
Sign me up for this magic trick.
37. “We loved with a love that was more than love.” -Edgar Allan Poe
For more detail about this love quote, check out Edgar Allan Poe’s poem, Annabel Lee. Slightly grotesque, it nevertheless expresses the timeless quality of true love.
38. “Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking outward together in the same direction.” -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
As your relationship progresses, the I and you become “we” and you start to see the world with the same eyes.
39. “Love is, above all, the gift of oneself.” -Jean Anouilh
No matter how poor you are, you always have one thing left to give: yourself.
40. “Take away love and our earth is a tomb.” -Robert Browning
Love is what makes life worth living. It isn’t the sun that brightens our day—it’s love.
41. ”Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired.” -Robert Frost
Oo la la—Frost is right on point with this quote.
42. ”He felt now that he was not simply close to her, but that he did not know where he ended and she began.” -Leo Tolstoy
Anyone who has ever been in love has surely felt this sentiment at some point in their lives. At some point in the relationship, you begin to feel like one person rather than two.
43. “Love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place.” -Zora Neale Hurston
Cute and quaint, this is an easy message to text.
44. “Love is the poetry of the senses.” -Honoré de Balzac
You can always tell the best love quotes by how old they are. Only excellently written quotes can withstand the test of time.
45. “Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” -Emily Brontë
This expresses the idea behind number 42 in a different fashion.
46. “At the touch of love, everyone becomes a poet.” -Plato
Apparently, Plato is more than just a philosopher: he’s Ancient Greece’s version of Dr. Phil!
47. ”True love stories never have endings.” -Richard Bach
May this beautifully expressed sentiment be true for your relationship and for the relationship of everyone who loves truly.
48. ”Love me and the world is mine.” -David Reed
When you are in love, it may feel like you have conquered the world.
49. ”Love is the greatest refreshment in life.” -Pablo Picasso
You may not be able to afford much, but you can always enjoy the priceless feeling of being in love.
50. “‘Twas not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” -Judy Garland
Known for her movies, Judy Garland has managed to sum up the sensation of kissing your soul mate in just nine words.