50 Boyfriend and Girlfriend Quotes
These boyfriend and girlfriend quotes are designed to suit every stage of the relationship. Ranging from movie quotes to celebrity statements, these quotes are intended to match the average person’s relationship. From falling in love to the pains of a breakup, use these quotations to express how you really feel about your partner.
1. “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” -Mignon McLaughlin
This quote works for marriages as well as long term relationships. You may not stay in love forever, but you can fall in love again and again.
2. “Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike.” -J.K. Rowling,Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
When it comes to relationships, it takes work for the relationship to function correctly.
3. “Love is friendship set on fire.” -Jeremy Taylor
The best relationships are always founded on a friendship.
4. “When you stop expecting people to be perfect, you can like them for who they are.” -Donald Miller
Some people never get married because they can’t find their soul mate. For many of these people, the main problem is an inability to look past imperfections. Your partner has imperfections, but they can still be perfect for you.
5. “I had a boyfriend who told me I’d never succeed, never be nominated for a Grammy, never have a hit song, and that he hoped I’d fail. I said to him, ‘Someday, when we’re not together, you won’t be able to order a cup of coffee at the f***ing deli without hearing or seeing me.” -Lady Gaga
If you are going through a breakup, this boyfriend and girlfriend quote may be the right one for you.
6. “For the two of us, home isn’t a place. It is a person. And we are finally home.” -Stephanie Perkins, Anna and the French Kiss
When you are in love, everywhere can seem like home as long as you are with your lover.
7. “Never close your lips to those whom you have opened your heart.” -Charles Dickens
Even when times are difficult, you should not give up on your relationship.
8. “When in a relationship, a real man doesn’t make his woman jealous of others, he makes others jealous of his woman.” -Steve Maraboli
This works for guys and girls. Playing games and encouraging jealousy is never a good way to start a relationship.
9. “Love [is] the will to extend oneself for the purpose of nurturing one’s own or another’s spiritual growth.” -M. Scott Peck
The best partners are able to encourage each other through all of the hardest parts of life.
10. “To be fully seen by somebody, then, and be loved anyhow – this is a human offering that can border on miraculous.” -Elizabeth Gilbert
When you are in love with someone, the entire world seems like a better place because you are finally loved for exactly the person that you are.
11. “…he had a way of taking your hand which made it clear he’d have to be the one to let go.” -Alice Hoffman
This is a beautiful sentiment for new relationships.
12. “The first duty of love is to listen.” -Paul Tillich
For young and old couples, this boyfriend and girlfriend quote is a rule to live by.
13. “I’m selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best.” -Marilyn Monroe
Handling someone’s imperfections is one of the main requirements of being in love.
14. “If you judge people, you have no time to love them.” -Mother Teresa
This boyfriend and girlfriend quote works for romantic relationships as well as relationships among family members and friends.
15. “Sometimes the best and worst times of your life can coincide. It is a talent of the soul to discover the joy in pain—-thinking of moments you long for, and knowing you’ll never have them again. The beautiful ghosts of our past haunt us, and yet we still can’t decide if the pain they caused us out weighs the tender moments when they touched our soul. This is the irony of love.” -Shannon L. Alder
Long after a relationship has ended, memories of the past can still hold power over our lives.
16. “When you love someone all your saved-up wishes start coming out.” -Elizabeth Bowen
This is a perfect way to express the magic of new love.
17. “We accept the love we think we deserve.” -Stephen Chbosky
Even if you have put months or years into a relationship, you should not stay in it if you are not treated right. Often, people think that they are worth less than what they deserve.
18. “Love doesn’t make the world go ’round; love is what makes the ride worthwhile.” -Shannon L. Alder
You may not need love in order to live, but it certainly makes life better.
19. “Anyone can be passionate, but it takes real lovers to be silly.” -Rose Franken
Once you have met that perfect partner, it is such a relief to relax and be ridiculous around them without fear of judgment.
20. “People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that’s what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life.” -Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love
A good relationship can be a source of growth and personal development.
21. “Give a girl a boyfriend and she becomes a total expert on relationships” -Cecily von Ziegesar
Everyone has that friend who is the relationship know-it-all…
22. “The best proof of love is trust.” -Joyce Brothers
If your relationship is not strong enough, you will never be able to fully trust each other.
23. “The real lover is the man who can thrill you by kissing your forehead or smiling into your eyes or just staring into space.” -Marilyn Monroe
When you are in love, every glance or gentle touch is immensely exciting. Savor this feeling while it lasts. If you feel that spark dying from the relationship, try a new date, outfit or event to liven things up again.
24. “I’ve tried that love thing for the last time. My heart says no, no! Nobody’s supposed to be here, but you came along and changed my mind” -Debra Cox
Even after major heart ache, it is still possible to love again.
25. “We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.” -Sam Keen
This is an extremely accurate portrayal of being in love.
26. “If I had a flower for every time I thought of you…I could walk through my garden forever.” -Alfred Tennyson
Beautiful and poetic, this quote is well-suited to a love letter or heartfelt e-mail.
27. “It took me two years to give him all of my heart, and he threw it away in one night.” -Dannika Dark
When your relationship ends, you can feel like everything was worthless. All the work that you put into the relationship seems like it was a waste. Always remember that each failed relationship brings you a little closer to the right match.
28. ”The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.” -Moulin Rouge
This quote comes from one of the most iconic films about love of all time.
29. “A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous.” -Ingrid Bergman
Poetic and cute, this may be one of the best descriptions of a kiss ever.
30. “What greater thing is there for two human souls, than to feel that they are joined for life–to strengthen each other in all labor, to rest on each other in all sorrow, to minister to each other in all pain, to be one with each other in silent unspeakable memories at the moment of the last parting?” -George Eliot,Adam Bede
George Eliot certainly has a point: being in love and committing to another person is one of the greatest things that someone can do.
31. ”You have changed my life. Knowing you, I am know capable of tackling everything.”
When we are in love, even the biggest of difficulties suddenly seem smaller.
32. “Relationships are like Rome — difficult to start out, incredible during the prosperity of the ‘golden age’, and unbearable during the fall. Then, a new kingdom will come along and the whole process will repeat itself until you come across a kingdom like Egypt… that thrives, and continues to flourish. This kingdom will become your best friend, your soul mate, and your love.” -Helen Keller
This is one of the most beautiful descriptors of the stages of a relationship.
33. “I love you, not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you.” -Elizabeth Browning
In an ideal relationship being with your partner will turn you into a better person.
34. “If you love two people at the same time, choose the second. Because if you really loved the first one, you wouldn’t have fallen for the second.” -Johnny Depp
A romantic triangle is never an easy thing to pull off.
35. “Men always want to be a woman’s first love. Women like to be a man’s last romance.” -Oscar Wilde
Centuries have passed and this boyfriend and girlfriend quote still remains relevant.
36. “I will not try to convince you to love me, to respect me, to commit to me. I deserve better than that; I AM BETTER THAN THAT…Goodbye.” – Steve Maraboli
A little harsh, but this love quote gets the point across.
37. “Love is friendship set to music.” -E. Joseph Crossmann
Anyone who has ever been in love can sense the truth in this statement.
38. “Even on my weakest days I get a little bit stronger.” -Sara Evans
Being in love is a way for you to gather strength and happiness. A strong relationship will help you to strengthen the other parts of your life.
39. “Love is not love until love’s vulnerable.” -Theodore Roethke
To truly love someone, you must trust them. If you trust another person, it makes you vulnerable.
40. “Stuart needs “space” and “time,” as if this were physics and not a human relationship.” -Kathryn Stockett, The Help
If you recently heard the “It’s not you, it’s me” excuse, you may sympathize with this quote a little more.
41. “My most brilliant achievement was my ability to be able to persuade my wife to marry me.” -Winston Churchill
In a good relationship, both partners feel like they are getting the better end of the bargain.
42. “Love is not only something you feel. It’s something you do.” -David Wilkerson
Most people have dated a partner who was a smooth talker, but never delivered on their promises. If you love someone, you must follow through on your promises and show your love through actions.
43. “Jealousy is never satisfied with anything short of an omniscience that would detect the subtlest fold of the heart.” -George Eliot, The Mill on the Floss
If the Victorian English sounds confusing, I’ll paraphrase the quotation. Basically, a jealous mind needs to know everything down to the tiniest fold of a heart to feel reassured.
44. ”One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving.” -Paulo Coelho
A new twist on the old adage, “Love is blind”.
45. “Where there is love there is life.” -Mahatma Gandhi
Although we do not need romance to stay alive, love seems to be what makes life worth living.
46. “Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold.” -Zelda Fitzgerald
The more you love someone, the greater your capacity for love becomes.
47. “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.” -Albert Einstein
Although you normally hear Einstein’s theories about math and relativity, his theory about kissing seems to be equally valid.
48. ”You have to take risks. We will only understand the miracle of life fully when we allow the unexpected to happen.” -Paulo Coelho
This boyfriend and girlfriend quote is actually intended to cover every part of life. In love and in life, you have to be willing to take risks.
49. “The very essence of romance is uncertainty.” -Oscar Wilde
You may want to stay with your partner forever, but it is not always possible to do.
50. “Then I realize what it is. It’s him. Something about him makes me feel like I am about to fall. Or turn to liquid. Or burst into flames.” -Veronica Roth
Anyone who has ever fallen in love can empathize with this sentiment. The moment that you fall in love, it feels like your mind and body are consumed with a fire. Everything that you do, say or think about relates entirely to your partner.